Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.11

Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Bait 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Old 01-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #1

Jan 2009
Sony Pictures Playstation 3 & 4 (PS3 / PS4) 3D Discussion

Forum Moderator Notes:
This thread is for 3D-related Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 discussion, covering movies, games, functionality, updates, which is better and much, much more! There's a separate thread for Playstation VR.

For FAQ purposes, please note that the PS3 and PS4 are both crippled by movie region coding so will only play region free 3D blu rays and 3D blu rays from the region that they are locked to. So you can't watch Ratatouille 3D on an American model and you can't watch American Mummy 3D on a European model but you can watch Marvel movies on any PS3 or PS4 anywhere. 3D games however are usually region free, so you don't need to worry about those.

The PS3 is able to operate without power transformers (my Canadian one runs fine on UK mains power) but I do not know about the PS4.

Things have moved on since the original post, but here it is for reference:

I have been reading on the internet the past few days that 3D can only be attained with 1080p through HDMI 1.4 and only 1080i with HDMI 1.3. If the output HDMI on the PS3 is 1.3, how could we get a 3D 1080p picture from the PS3. Unless I am mistaking and the actual port does not make a difference...Just wondering as I plan on what needs to be upgraded. Thanks...

Last edited by the13thman; 03-15-2018 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added PS4
Old 01-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #2

Dec 2007
Ft. Myers, FL

The reports that the PS3 will only output 1080i for 3D are likely wrong. HDMI 1.3 certainly has the bandwidth to support dual 1080p/24 video streams (1080p/48 total) and I suspect that's what the PS3 will be providing. However, the HDMI 1.3a spec. only lists 1080p at a max. of 60Hz while the spec. lists 1080i at a max. of 120Hz. Thus 1080p/120 is not required by the HDMI 1.3a spec. but there are some unconfirmed reports that some HDMI 1.3 hardware will actually support 1080p/120. At the very least I would expect the PS3 to output dual 1080p/24 video streams and perhaps also to have the option to output dual 1080i/60 or perhaps even dual 1080p/60 (only if it's HDMI hardware can support it) video streams. Also remember that the optimum output from any 2D or 3D player is for 1080p/24 video streams (times 2 for 3D) since this allows the display to easily process the video to provide the optimum display video refresh rate without having to first apply inverse 2:3 pulldown. The optimum display refresh rate is not 60Hz for each video stream for movies that were filmed (or recorded) at 24 frames per second. Rather it is an integer multiple of 24 (e.g., 72Hz, 96Hz, 120Hz). Thus a display limited to a 120Hz refresh rate (i.e., 60Hz for each of the two video streams used for 3D) is not ideal for displaying 3D (i.e., for the same reason that 60Hz is not ideal for displaying 2D video) while a display supporting a 240Hz refresh rate is.

FYI -

HERE is a summary on what's new with HDMI 1.4.

HERE is a good paper on HDMI 1.4
The actual HDMI 1.4 spec. is only available for download to manufacturers that have an account with the HDMI organization.
HERE is the HDMI 1.3a spec. (pdf file)

Last edited by ronjones; 01-11-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:33 AM   #3

Jan 2010
montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey3319 View Post
hey guys, sorry I just had a quick question. When 3d blu-ray movies come out, will the PS3 have an update software for this stuff? wor will you need to buy a special bluray 3d player? Or do the studios ust destort the movie for 3d???
The PS3 is the only BD player that has the capabilities to upgrade to be able to read the soon to come 3D discs because de PS3 is a very powerful machine.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:38 AM   #4
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Yes, the PS3 will be getting a firmware update that will allow the PS3 to do 3D games and movies. The PS3 is the only player to get a firmware update to do 3D because of its power it can do the 3D decoding in software unlike standalone players that that lack the processing power will have to be redesigned to do it in hardware.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Banned

Jun 2008

when will this happen?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
Special Member

Jul 2008
Shamokin Dam, Pa
Send a message via Yahoo to neos_peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
when will this happen?
when the firmware comes out. lol Sorry couldn't resist. go ahead slap me.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #7

Mar 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
when will this happen?
It should be this summer, but who knows?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrios28 View Post
I read that Sony will put out a firmware update in the summer.
Glad they can update a $299 player. Too bad they can't update a $3,500 television set.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
Special Member

Jul 2007
FL, USA

Wipeout HD 3d= loose your lunch
Old 02-15-2010, 04:40 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/11/rumo...firmware-3-20/
Old 02-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

The major companies should have pushed 3D when people were starting to buy new HD tv's. Now it's a bit lot for quite a few people.

Or maybe all of us here are "early adopters" and the normal average joe is still in the process and that's what they are going after now?

I don't know. All I know is I got a new plasma last year and I don't have plans on replacing it any time soon.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicon View Post
The major companies should have pushed 3D when people were starting to buy new HD tv's. Now it's a bit lot for quite a few people.

Or maybe all of us here are "early adopters" and the normal average joe is still in the process and that's what they are going after now?

I don't know. All I know is I got a new plasma last year and I don't have plans on replacing it any time soon.
There's quite a few "early adopters" out there...this very website reported that since 2005, 71 million HDTV's have been sold, and 17.5 million Blu players.

Most important, 4.5 million of those Blu players were sold in the last three months of 2009.

Certainly, in this economy, it is not going to be reasonable to expect market penetration to any extent for new televisions, solely to get 3-D. It's no longer an "early adopter" thing.

This will get interesting. Content providers, seeing a huge base of customers out there with the platform to purchase their content, will push for compatibility with the existing install base. Manufacturers, frantic to find a new gift horse to present to the marketplace, will keep up with the "you need to buy new stuff for this new gimmick" story.

The walls at CES shook from the chanting of, "you need to buy all new gear". It's a manufacturer's trade show, what else is new. They even got a couple of broadcasters to promise content. Then all hell broke loose.

Cable and satellite providers began wondering about their infrastructure. New set top boxes weren't a good idea...now some are saying that we'd be looking at standard definition 3-D. But it's 3-D! Nobody knows, nobody is saying.

For real hi-def, early adopters are getting burnt out. Six weeks after all these stirring announcements at CES, two months after the BDA's announcement of a 3-D standard - complete with logo, to differentiate it from the old "3-D Ready" logo - and five months after the announcement of HDMI 1.4, it's not official whether or not HDMI 1.4 is a required interface.

At least, there is no "official" pronouncement. I'm not sure who should be the official pronouncer anyway - the HDTV providers? The content providers? It's all too sideways, still.

The small, unscientific polling on the topic shows that the public is overwhelmingly opposed to repurchasing all new infrastructure in their homes for this, even if they're interested in 3-D. There is also intense skepticism about the practicality and compatibility of the shutter glasses.

I don't see much happening in 2010, since we're halfway through the first quarter, and no one seems to know what's going on. If the manufacturers are looking for an infrastructure reboot, in the middle of the worst economic times since the Great Depression, they (or their marketing teams) have lost their minds. I see plug-in solutions for the current equipment base being as far as the consumer is going to go with this, and perhaps not even then...

Hot Tip To 3D Enthusiasts: The usual candidate for high end purchases like a new 3-D TV, a big one, is in his or her middle 30's and over. These folks wear prescription eyewear by a huge percentage. They are not happy about wearing two pairs of glasses...better cater to them, and fast. They aren't kids watching a 32" for games...
Old 03-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #13

Mar 2010

http://hdguru.com/3d-hdtv-and-hdmi-explained/1336/

Quote:
Transmitting uncompressed Full High Definition 3D (FHD3D) signals (defined as 1920 x 1080 resolution for both the left and right eye [each frame]) requires connecting a 3D Blu-ray player to a FHD3D TV using a suitable HDMI cable. The FHD3D signalís bit rate is 6.75 Gbps (gigabits per second). The HDMI 1.4 standardís maximum bit rate of 10.2Gbps is identical to that of the older HDMI 1.3 standard.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #14

Mar 2010

Quote:
Transmitting uncompressed Full High Definition 3D (FHD3D) signals (defined as 1920 x 1080 resolution for both the left and right eye [each frame]) requires connecting a 3D Blu-ray player to a FHD3D TV using a suitable HDMI cable. The FHD3D signalís bit rate is 6.75 Gbps (gigabits per second). The HDMI 1.4 standardís maximum bit rate of 10.2Gbps is identical to that of the older HDMI 1.3 standard.
http://hdguru.com/3d-hdtv-and-hdmi-explained/1336/
Old 03-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #15

Mar 2010
Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjones View Post
I agree that firm information of the entire situation if hard to come by lacking the actual release of the Blu-ray 3D spec. itself beyond the closed membership of the BD Association. However, I have picked up some more bits of info that may point to the direction being taken in the Blu-ray 3D spec. to accomodate a transition period for the introduction of 3D. I have seen some recent indications that the Blu-ray 3D spec. and compatible 3D HDTVs may be required to include a setup capability to manually force a specific 3D mode, similar to the optional forced 1080p/24 mode on the current PS3 and some other stand-alone BD players. When a forced 3D mode is used the need to negotiate a compatible 3D mode between the Blu-ray 3D player and the 3D capable HDTV via HDMI is not necessary. If this info is correct then it was probably added to open the door for using HDMI 1.3 based display (TV) devices. If such a forced 3D mode configuration setting is a requirement in order to claim compatibility with the new Blu-ray 3D spec., then I could see that either or both the Blu-ray 3d Player (i.e., PS3) and the 3D HDTV could get by with HDMI 1.3 using dual 1080p/24 video steams (1080p/48 total) as the 3D format. Its also been reported that the Blu-ray 3D spec. does require all 3D players and compatible HDTVs to support at least this dual 1080p/24 mode in order to claim compatibiity with the spec. and this is also a required mode for 3D support in the recently released HDMI 1.4 spec.
There is a picture of the 3-D setup screen for the PS3 that has "Automatic" as the default which supposes a manual setup confirming the first part of your statement but the last part is inaccurate regards dual streams (underlined).

The HDMI 1.4 standard, or method if you will, of providing the two 3-D eye views is called frame packing. Framepacking puts the two fields into the timing window for one 24 Hz or 60 Hz frame. To do this they need to double the transfer speed during this 1/24th or 1/60th of a second window.

Most HDMI 3-D ready TVs incorperate some method of frame packing and are listed by HDMI 1.4 with handshaking to automatically configure source and display. The problem with these older supported HDMI 1.3 devices is that they can not handshake with a HDMI 1.4 device to settle on a 3-D mode that both support. This is the reason for "Manual" or forced setup for the 3-D method.

That said, we do not know what will be supported by new Blu-Ray players and the PS3. As I have a 3-D ready DLP that needs 1080P checkerboard framepacked @ 60Hz I'm awaiting more information.

Dual or sequential stream is a method that will work on a monitor with any supported input rate and was the first 3-D method before 3-D ready TVs. It's drawback was the flicker at lower refresh rates. With analog TVs, faster refresh rates required much more circuitry.

With digital TVs the TV can now do the processing for display, that and the different technologies (DLP, Plasma, LCD) have different optimum refresh rates is the reason for framepacking. HDMI 1.4 and framepacking is an attempt to provide a long lived standard.

Last edited by jeff_rigby; 03-24-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 AM   #16
Special Member

Mar 2010

How future proof is the PS3? Is Sony going to continue to release updated PS3's that incrementally are updated with new models and new firmware updates and how long can they keep doing that with the PS3 platform until they need to release a completely new PS4?

Also, out of all the PS3's released so far, which one is the best for bluray and dvd viewing?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

HDMI 1.3 has more than enough throughput to support FHD3D. Software driven BD players such as the PS3 can be updated via firmware to pas the FHD3D signal.

What cannot be added via firmware update is the new Ethernet Channel nor the new Audio Return Channel as those require a new HDMI chip (and new 1.4 certified cables).

I don't know enough about the 4K Support, Content Type feature, or Additional Color Spaces to say if those require a hardware upgrade or if all they need is a firmware update.

Finding the Right Cable http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...ght_cable.aspx

Here's a good source of information: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/index.aspx

Current HDMI 1.3 receivers aren't programmed to recognise the FHD3D signal flag and thus will refuse to passthrough the FHD3D video signal.

Since the problematic issue is a signal flag, I firmly believe this issue could be resolved by a mere firmware update to the receiver. But why would anyone want to provide such an update when they can sell you a new 3D-ready receiver instead?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #18
Special Member

Mar 2010

I'm going to wait for the new 2010 bd players to come out to see if they're HDMI 1.4 and 3D compliant. Any of you know when the PS4 is coming out or any fansites that report on the latest rumors on Playstations and what they're saying?

I'll probably sell my Pio Elite SC-07 reciever in a year, anyone interested?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:31 AM   #19
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA
Default Sony PS3 to get 3D update in September

Source: Blu-ray.com
posted by Grubert
Quote:
As previously reported, the PlayStation 3 is receiving 3D support in several stages: game support came first, thanks to firmware version 3.30 (released in April), while 3D Blu-ray movie playback was scheduled later in the year. Now a more specific timeframe has been revealed: this update will be ready in September.

Yet another future firmware update will enable 3D photo compatibility, to display the pictures taken with the two new Sony Cyber-shot cameras that take panoramic 3D pictures.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #20
Power Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluflu View Post
I imagine the PS3 will use some variation of the HDMI 1.3 3D Checkerboard format described below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...er,2636-5.html
The Sony PS3 will be 1.4 HDMI compliant for 3D. It already has adopted that for games. Also the game firmware update does not support checkerboard, and according to Penton Man who checked with Sony the Blu-ray update will not support checkerboard. I hope they change their mind!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Tags
3-d, 3d blu ray, 3d blu ray sound, dts-hd, ps3, ps3 3d quality