Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
4 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Monster Hunter (Blu-ray)
$19.96
3 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
42 min ago
Show Boat (Blu-ray)
$17.99
2 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
1 day ago
Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.46
18 hrs ago
Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Banned

Mar 2010
Default Holy crap Samsung LED LCD tv!!!!

This is the best looking tv I've ever seen. Plasmas looked like crap compared. I looked at all the surrounding plasmas from Samsung, Pioneer and the rest and they were all fifth best,because places 1-4 all go to the Samsung LED LCD tv. Looks like I'm saving up for a 65" Samsung 3D LED LCD tv. For a second I thought it was in 3D w/out the requirement for glasses.

Last edited by Jlennerth; 12-09-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Link? Pics?
Old 12-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Everett, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlennerth View Post
This is the best looking tv I've ever seen. Plasmas looked like crap compared. I looked at all the surrounding plasmas from Samsung, Pioneer and the rest and they were all fifth best,because places 1-4 all go to the Samsung LED LCD tv. Looks like I'm saving up for a 65" Samsung 3D LED LCD tv. For a second I thought it was in 3D w/out the requirement for glasses.
Be careful, the torch mode settings and the store lighting might make it look good in the store, but viewing in your home environment will be drastically different.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:36 AM   #4

Jun 2009

its not too late for you to buy the Panasonic Plasma
the store set up can make you think the led lcd is much better
i am not saying it isn't a very good pic, but once you get it home and set it up you will get a much more film like pic and if you like sports you will be much happier with the plasma.
that is just my opinion, I am a Panasonic Plasma owner but not an LED hater
Old 12-09-2010, 04:20 AM   #5
Banned

Mar 2010

well then how am I ever supposed to be able to judge what tv to buy? They were showing clips of Black Swan w/Natalie Portman. The tv made the people look real, where as all the near by plasmas made people look just plain bad. I like the 3D aspect too to the tv. How do I know the plasmas will look good in my home? Of all the 3D tvs they had, this one looked the best.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Quote:
well then how am I ever supposed to be able to judge what tv to buy? They were showing clips of Black Swan w/Natalie Portman. The tv made the people look real, where as all the near by plasmas made people look just plain bad. I like the 3D aspect too to the tv. How do I know the plasmas will look good in my home? Of all the 3D tvs they had, this one looked the best.
Read post #3 ^^^^^^^^
Old 12-09-2010, 04:24 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Quote:
Just think of it this way, the tv you saw was on steroids. Thats why it looked so good. Without steroids, it wouldn't be anything close to a plasma.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 AM   #8

Sep 2007
San Leandro, CA

what you saw is auto motion on high looks good at first but once you get it home it sux.................. makes the movie look like home vids
Old 12-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #9
Power Member

Jun 2010
MY

Quote:
Maybe you should check out some other threads before creating one like this!

See what the shops have their tvs set at and all that.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:17 AM   #10
Special Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA
Default counter point don't hate on me

I think samsung has the showroom thing down cold at pretty much any mega store you go to the samsungs make everything else look like silly want to be toys.

On to the don't hate on me part I will likely be purchasing a 2011 Panasonic Plasma based on the inteligent and articulate points made by the members of this site. but to be fair there are those that just like the LCD. Check my sig I have the old stalwart LN46A750 samsung from a few years back and the thing is awsome. Well reviewed by the experts as well.

Strangely enough I was sitting at the airport over the weekend and purchased the december issue of PC world where they have their 100 best products of 2010 and included a HD tv shootout of 3 diferent size catagories. The samsungs won every size catagory hands down and only the samsung UN55C8000 made the list at number 11 and the LN46C650 at number 20 on the general top 100 products of the year. even though all the reputable professional reviewers actually have the panasonic VT25 series plasma winning every battle by a large margin.

What I am getting at is it seems like for video just like audio there is a subjective element as well as a scientific element to selecting a TV you will enjoy. I know that mathematically and scientifically the plasma wins most categorys hands down yet the LCD outsells the Plasma about a trillion to one (figuratively but its a lot) so there must be something to this real world performance vs lab/Standards based performance. I say get what you like but make sure the retailer has a return policy incase you don't like what you see when you get home.

Truth be told though I know some absolutly hate on the LCD owners but you know what, even the worst modern TV looks better then my last Standard Deffinition CRT (And CRT face it all modern TV's are trying to meet CRT specs still Kuro came fairly close). Get the TV home Calibrate or have it calibrated sit back turn down the lights put on a great movie and Enjoy.

Thanks,
T
Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Without at doubt, the plasma fans will (and have) had their say. Count me in as a plasma fan. What plasma shows you, believe it or not, is true-to-the-source.

Indeed, motion smoothing algorithms on LCD TVs make for more lifelike motion, but it does so at a cost in picture quality, due to the fact that "interpolated" frames will not contain the same image detail as the native frames which surround them. This also causes visual artifacts as well.

Then, there is the lag in cycling LCD pixels, leading to softer details during motion, often referred to as "motion blurring." Plasmas suffer so little from this that this problem is essentially non-existent with them.

Most plasmas do not have motion smoothing/frame generation algorithms (there are exceptions). Believe it when the plasma experts tell you that what you are seeing on a properly set up plasma is going to be true-to-the-source. 24 FPS movies look cinematic and true.

To be sure, I own both a Panasonic VT20 plasma and a Sony XBR4 LCD. I will say for a certainty that although my Sony XBR4 produces a gorgeous picture, the superior pixel speed and wider dynamic range of my Panny VT20 produce superior picture quality across the board.

In the end, it's what looks better to the consumer. I prefer plasma on the merits I have cited, but everyone is entitled to their opinions and should act on them after taking time to scrutinize what type of TV looks nicer.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:28 AM   #12
Banned

Mar 2010

Why did every plasma I checked out have a "screen door" effect? The LED LCD had a picyure that looked better than life.

Last edited by Jlennerth; 12-09-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:32 AM   #13
Power Member

Jun 2010
MY

Quote:
Whty did every plasma I checked out have a "screen door" effect? The LED LCD had a picyure that looked better than life.
That's probably the problem, trying to get things better than life. Comes out too fake sometimes.

Plasma tells it as it is
Old 12-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSarc View Post
what you saw is auto motion on high looks good at first but once you get it home it sux.................. makes the movie look like home vids
FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE BESIDES ME THINKS THIS!!!

Also I can't stand the way Plasma looks.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Everett, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE BESIDES ME THINKS THIS!!!

Also I can't stand the way Plasma looks.
I thought you were a projector person? Couldn't help yourself with a chance to cut on plasma?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Everett, WA

Quote:
Why did every plasma I checked out have a "screen door" effect? The LED LCD had a picyure that looked better than life.
Without knowing how the sets were connected, it sounds like it might have been composite or coaxial. Were all the sets showing the same thing?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #17
Banned

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by scweb13 View Post
Without knowing how the sets were connected, it sounds like it might have been composite or coaxial. Were all the sets showing the same thing?
yes, that's how I was able to compare the pictures of each tv against each other. It was a demo clip of Black Swan w/Natalie Portman and some other clips, I just remember that clip,because Portman looked so life-like that I could grab her and take her home.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #18
Banned

Mar 2010

I would probably get a plasma if it didn't have that screen door effect.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scweb13 View Post
I thought you were a projector person? Couldn't help yourself with a chance to cut on plasma?
Why are you ragging on me for not liking Plasma, it's my opinion. I've only talked about it twice.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
I would probably get a plasma if it didn't have that screen door effect.
Or you could consider not standing 1ft away from the screen. There is no screen door effect at proper viewing distances.

Quote:
I looked at all the surrounding plasmas from Samsung, Pioneer and the rest and they were all fifth best
Wow, what Pioneer models were available and which store was this? Reserve me one.

Last edited by dobyblue; 12-09-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies