Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
4 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Monster Hunter (Blu-ray)
$19.96
4 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 hr ago
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
1 day ago
Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.46
18 hrs ago
Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Toy Soldiers (Blu-ray)
$14.41
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 12-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
Why are you ragging on me for not liking Plasma, it's my opinion. I've only talked about it twice.
You-are-fired....
Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #22
Banned

Mar 2010

my zip is 44149. The only stores to really buy from are Sears, Best Buy, and HH Gregg. I need to be able to see what the tv looks like b4 I buy it. My Best Buy doesn't carry the PN63C8000 or the TCP65VT25. Of the ones they carry what would you recommend to look at the next time I go to look? I don't want rear projection and I need it to be 3D and 60" or above. Now what would you recommend? I'd travel up to 20 miles from my zip to see the tv.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #23
Special Member

Dec 2008
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlennerth View Post
This is the best looking tv I've ever seen. Plasmas looked like crap compared. I looked at all the surrounding plasmas from Samsung, Pioneer and the rest and they were all fifth best,because places 1-4 all go to the Samsung LED LCD tv. Looks like I'm saving up for a 65" Samsung 3D LED LCD tv. For a second I thought it was in 3D w/out the requirement for glasses.
ha...two of my friends called me up to tell me about this tv...so i went to join them to show them why what they were looking at was crap...turned the vivid off and the motion flow enhancer and they quickly changed their minds....back to the vt25 please, they said
Old 12-10-2010, 01:12 AM   #24
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Get the LED t.v. Don't let these people brainwash you into thinking plasma is better. I have an LED t.v and wouldn't change it for the world. Plasma's have a certain look that people say are more closer to a film like quality. It probably does, but I like the LED image which gives a more lifelike, window view of the world. You first thought LED was to t.v for you. My suggestion is get the t.v you want after comparing them.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #25
Special Member

Dec 2008
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Get the LED t.v. Don't let these people brainwash you into thinking plasma is better. I have an LED t.v and wouldn't change it for the world. Plasma's have a certain look that people say are more closer to a film like quality. It probably does, but I like the LED image which gives a more lifelike, window view of the world. You first thought LED was to t.v for you. My suggestion is get the t.v you want after comparing them.
you need to clean your windows!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:22 AM   #26

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

I can see where this is going
Old 12-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlennerth View Post
This is the best looking tv I've ever seen. Plasmas looked like crap compared. I looked at all the surrounding plasmas from Samsung, Pioneer and the rest and they were all fifth best,because places 1-4 all go to the Samsung LED LCD tv. Looks like I'm saving up for a 65" Samsung 3D LED LCD tv. For a second I thought it was in 3D w/out the requirement for glasses.
Model number?
Old 12-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #28
Special Member

Dec 2008
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
I can see where this is going
na...all in good fun...but at the end of the day id keep my epson/120" setup over all my tvs

but just for the record...the panasonic vt25 won tv of the year.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:04 AM   #29

Feb 2008

Quote:
I also have a LED t.v. the Sony XBR8 and I saidI would never buy a plasma after looking at both led and plasma 3d tvs I went with the Panasonic VT25. Take the advice of a LED fan and buy the Panasonic 3d tv you will be a lot happier. Still love my XBR8 but for 3d plasmas are better.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:22 AM   #30

Nov 2007
Smile plasma vs lcd ..led

i just purchased my 2nd panasonic plasma (65 inch 3d viera) i looked at all brands of tvs this time i had saved the money and i set out to buy the best flatpanel tv i could find...i looked at several tvs LCDS LEDS AND PLASMAS i purchased the panasonic viera series for picture quality compared to the others and after 3 weeks of having it at home i have not been dissapointed picture is fabulous just watched avatar 3d blu ray holy @#$% fantastic""
Old 12-10-2010, 02:33 AM   #31
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Yes, don't let us brainwash you.

But feel free to check out the 2010 HDTV shootout

Quote:
New York independent home theater retailer Value Electronics has published the results of its annual 2010 flat-panel TV shootout, which pitted six high-end HDTVs against one another in a side-by-side comparison. The unanimous winner, as voted by the attendees of the event, was the Panasonic TC-P58VT25 plasma TV.

Five other high-end 3D TVs were included, with the following overall results:

1. Panasonic TC-P58VT25 (plasma)
2. Samsung PN58C8000 (plasma)
3. LG 55LX9500 (full-array local dimming LED-based LCD)
4. Sony KDL-55NX810 (edge-lit local dimming LED-based LCD)
5. Samsung UN55C8000 (edge-lit local dimming LED-based LCD)
6. Sharp LC-60LE925UN (edge-lit LED-based LCD)

The voting audience wasn't exactly a bunch of noobs. It was composed of executives and senior engineers from the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), National Association of TV Broadcasters (NAB), and manufacturers including LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Sony, as well as "serious a/vphiles and leading members of their respected user forums."

The TVs were all professionally calibrated by well-regarded HDTV experts, namely Ed Johnson, Dewayne Davis (known on AVS Forum as D-Nice), and Kevin Miller, former TV reviewer for CNET and founder of TweakTV.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...?tag=cnetRiver

As other people have already stated, comparing them in lighting environments that can be ten times brighter than where the TV is going to be installed is a very poor way to judge picture quality, yet you're advising him to go with those results. That is not very good advice I'm afraid.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:04 AM   #32

Feb 2008
Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by scweb13 View Post
Be careful, the torch mode settings and the store lighting might make it look good in the store, but viewing in your home environment will be drastically different.
wrong!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:32 AM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Everett, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunda View Post
wrong!
Care to elaborate why you think I'm wrong. Are you saying that most homes are as brightly lit as retail stores? Or that LED TVs aren't in vivid mode at retail stores?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:07 AM   #34
Expert Member

Sep 2007
Dallas, TX

I also was in the market to purchase a new TV. After extensive research, I ended up getting the Panasonic 50in VT25 yesterday. The picture is simply amazing.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #35
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Care to elaborate why you think I'm wrong. Are you saying that most homes are as brightly lit as retail stores? Or that LED TVs aren't in vivid mode at retail stores?
The places where I go like SEARS, HH Greg and Best Buy have the lighting turned down low where the TV's are.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #36
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
The places where I go like SEARS, HH Greg and Best Buy have the lighting turned down low where the TV's are.
What are the measurements? Unless you're in a Magnolia section, even the areas where the lights are dimmed are still usually four times brighter than average home environments.

Read up - http://hdguru.com/how-retailers-use-...tv-buyers/467/
Old 12-11-2010, 05:38 AM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Dagobah

I gotta agree with the OP assuming he is talking about their top of the line LED. I just looked at it the other day in BB, it was the 65", had Avatar playing and it was the best looking PQ I've ever seen...ever. Too bad though it was about $5,000. That's well out of my price range and I hate the silver bezel they gave their tv's.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #38

Feb 2008
Arizona

Quote:
My statement was based on your statement "but viewing in your home environment will be drastically different." Personally, I think the tv looks as amazing at home as it did in the store. Not once have I ever thought it looked better in the stores and drastically different at home.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Everett, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunda View Post
My statement was based on your statement "but viewing in your home environment will be drastically different." Personally, I think the tv looks as amazing at home as it did in the store. Not once have I ever thought it looked better in the stores and drastically different at home.
Have you calibrated it? Because out of the box the C7000 puts out 60fl in Movie Mode! I can't imagine how bright it is in Vivid. That brightness compensates for the super bright lighting of the retail stores. So, yes, it is drastically different.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #40
Special Member

Dec 2008
Massachusetts

Come on...keep this going
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies