Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
12 hrs ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99
20 hrs ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
20 hrs ago
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50

Masterpiece: All Creatures Great and Small (Blu-ray)
$34.16
15 hrs ago
Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$14.96
17 hrs ago
Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #121
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJamaX View Post
"SCREEN DOOR EFFECT"... That's It!!! That's the phrase I've been looking for to describe that annoying look that Plasma TVs have! I can't STAND IT!!! Somebody else mentioned "proper viewing distance"... I can see that effect from 10 feet away... If I need to be further, what's point of a big screen TV?
Screen door effect is directly related to pixel size and viewing distance. It has nothing to do with the type of display. I cannot distinguish individual pixels on my 60Ē 1080p plasma until Iím within a couple feet. The famous viewing distance charts everyone likes to link-to were developed (for the most part) to assure one does not distinguish individual pixels on their sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJamaX View Post
Are there any Plasma TVs with Interpolation??

DO NOT tell me they don't "need" it... I don't want it for "anti-blur" effect... I like the real life video look it gives to movies.... At 240Hz, LCD TVs don't "need" it either.
You donít need it.

But to answer your question, yes, todayís plasmas now have a motion-smoothing feature you can turn on/off (unfortunately). I know itís on the Panys, but not sure of the others.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #122

Aug 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I know this thread is incredibly old, but I'm actually looking into buying a 40 inch Samsung LED and was wondering if anyone could recommend the best model? I know most will probably say don't do it and go for Plasma, but I have a Plasma model and I want the thinness of an LED for my bedroom. Price range is anything under $1,000.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 AM   #123

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Wow, what Pioneer models were available and which store was this? Reserve me one.
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like a troll. Plasma from correct viewing distance will look the best. Remember everything LCD (120, 240 motion etc) does is to compete with plasma picture quality.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #124
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

I just bought a Samsung LED TV, too. What's the best way to clean the screen if/when it comes time?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:09 AM   #125

Nov 2011

No doubt, LED LCD TV range from Samsung is fabulous and in fact it is ahead of the competition by far. Plasmas have had their time. I am not saying they are getting obsolete but they seem to have lost the battle to LEDs.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #126
Banned

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancts View Post
No doubt, LED LCD TV range from Samsung is fabulous and in fact it is ahead of the competition by far. Plasmas have had their time. I am not saying they are getting obsolete but they seem to have lost the battle to LEDs.
Only to people who don't know any better. The bottom line is you can't use sales figures as an argument to lcd tech being superior or victorious, because average consumers usually don't know much about HT at all. They are attracted to pretty colours that are over saturated, and think extremely bright colours is what a good picture is all about. They don't realise that you are not supposed to watch movies on vivid mode or with motion enhancement manipulation. Realistically there is no difference between people who purchase lcd tv's for those reasons and people who get sucked in to the hype of Monster cables and Bose etc. I used to be 1 of those average consumers, but now I have a better understand of HT, and am always learning new things.

Year in and year out the best plasmas have always trumped the best lcd/led's and are generally much cheaper too. This year is the 1st year ever that a top range lcd panel is superior to top range plasmas. I have bought 4 lcd/led panels since 2006 (3 of them being top of the line models of the year I purchased them in), and this year I bought my very 1st plasma (only about 5-6 weeks ago), and don't regret my decision.

Last edited by Cevolution; 12-02-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #127

Jun 2010

During the black friday sales I picked up a 60" Samsung LED for $1450 out the door with a coupon.I've always been a plasma guy, but I think the differences between the two have shrunk over time.Youre going to have to tweak youre set no matter which one you buy.You should be able to get a nice image with either.I do prefer the reduced weight of the LCD models.Much easier to hang or move around.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #128
Special Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

there are some unfair statements floating around. depending on your viewing environment lcd or plasma either way could be more appropriate. as to the overbloan or oversaturated colors just like a plasma calibration corects that. the black level still generally goes to plasma but green energy advantage still goes to lcd and as to the black level sharp introduced the lcd/led elite that is giving the touted g9 kuro a run for it money this year now give a year or two toget costs down and led could eradicate plasma as the black level and color correctness champ and at lower power costs then plasma. motion still goes to plasma for now. main issue there is not a deffinative answer to this war yet.

thanks
t
Old 12-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #129
Banned

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydrugar View Post
there are some unfair statements floating around. depending on your viewing environment lcd or plasma either way could be more appropriate. as to the overbloan or oversaturated colors just like a plasma calibration corects that. the black level still generally goes to plasma but green energy advantage still goes to lcd and as to the black level sharp introduced the lcd/led elite that is giving the touted g9 kuro a run for it money this year now give a year or two toget costs down and led could eradicate plasma as the black level and color correctness champ and at lower power costs then plasma. motion still goes to plasma for now. main issue there is not a deffinative answer to this war yet.

thanks
t

That's why I said average consumers, because most average consumers that know nothing about HT (which is most people) just leave their tv's set to the settings they were on straight out of box, or only do some very minor tweaks. It is my opinion (and I think a lot of members here would agree too) that an uncalibrated plasma looks better than an uncalibrated lcd in most circumstances (unless you have the sun glaring on the screen). lcd's are generally factory set to settings that are far too bright, and is how they are displayed on retail floors. TV manufacturers are aware that a large percentage of tv buyers are easily manipulated by how bright a tv looks, so they use it to their advantage and factory set their lcd models to be like that on purpose. Even many members on this site carry on about how they love viewing their tv's on vivid mode and is why they prefer lcd tech. Plasmas aren't usually factory set quite the same and the majority of the time straight out of the box they are set up better for movie viewing.

Last edited by Cevolution; 12-02-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #130

Dec 2011

Something I really have to say, as I am ticked off by what I am seeing people say on here.

I understand why a traditionalist would like a Plasma, without motion smoothing, better than a Samsung LCD with motion smoothing. I understand that you like the look that you are more used to from going to the movies. I truly get it, and can appreciate it.

However, just because I like the motion smoothing, and love how that looks doesn't mean I am stupid. That is beyond arrogant to assume that. It is all personal opinion, and not one person on here is right about what the best way to watch a movie is, as everyone will have a personal preference.

Again though, NO ONE should tell me what I should have in my own home. If I like the smooth motion of an LCD, well, that is what I like. It doesn't make me stupid. Get off your high horse.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #131
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by mra85a View Post
Something I really have to say, as I am ticked off by what I am seeing people say on here.

I understand why a traditionalist would like a Plasma, without motion smoothing, better than a Samsung LCD with motion smoothing. I understand that you like the look that you are more used to from going to the movies. I truly get it, and can appreciate it.

However, just because I like the motion smoothing, and love how that looks doesn't mean I am stupid. That is beyond arrogant to assume that. It is all personal opinion, and not one person on here is right about what the best way to watch a movie is, as everyone will have a personal preference.

Again though, NO ONE should tell me what I should have in my own home. If I like the smooth motion of an LCD, well, that is what I like. It doesn't make me stupid. Get off your high horse.
What's the proper method to use if one ever has to clean their LED screen? I avoided cleaning my first LCD back in the day because I didnt want to screw up the screen. There mustve been a layer of film on it after five years. Haha.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #132

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to lghaze42

No matter how good many of you think an LCD is I will mever own another one because of one word....BULB. One day you will be watching it and it will burn out leaving you to buy another for $300 or more.Panasonic has stated that their plasmas will take 30 years or so to go half dim with an average of 8 hour a day use.For pure dependability plasma wins hands down.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #133
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Everett, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lghaze42 View Post
No matter how good many of you think an LCD is I will mever own another one because of one word....BULB. One day you will be watching it and it will burn out leaving you to buy another for $300 or more.Panasonic has stated that their plasmas will take 30 years or so to go half dim with an average of 8 hour a day use.For pure dependability plasma wins hands down.
You must be thinking of a projector.
If the backlight of an LCD/LED set goes out, it's basically time to get a new one. They are stated by the Manufacturers to last between 60-100K hours (just like a plasma).
Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #134
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

So what's the best way to clean the screen on a new PLASMA or LED? What do you spray/wipe it with?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #135
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Everett, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Or DLP.
True. I forgot about those.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #136
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-…cosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
So what's the best way to clean the screen on a new PLASMA or LED? What do you spray/wipe it with?
The same stuff you use to clean a LCD/LED computer monitor. I tend to use an microfiber eyeglass cloth, and spray the screen cleaner on the cloth and wipe it.

To the guy going on about people being arrongant, that's a fact of life with this board. All that matters is that you enjoy your TV, and whatever settings/brand/type/etc. I do agree that a lot of people are less than helpful, as in, you go into the LED/LCD forum asking for advice, all the Plasma fanboys go in there and say go buy a plasma. I'm sure the LCD/LED fanboys do the same.

I went with an LED because it had the features I wanted with it, and it was in my price range. I'm more than happy with my TV, despite what anyone on here says. Again, that's what matters.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #137

Mar 2013
Indiana

Quote:

I second the motion there. I personally think the 'soap opera effect'(SOE) is a nice visual quality in TVs.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #138
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

Quote:

I am very mixed about it since getting our new Samsung. Some movies I absolutely despise having it. Star Wars: A New Hope for example. Some of the scenes looked awful...cheap. I hated it.

Other movies, I absolutely loved it. Transformers comes to mind.

I'm not sure what it is, but with some movies and shows it worked...with others...not at all. Fortunately, changing the setting for the film like appearance is very easy.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #139
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynatnite View Post
I am very mixed about it since getting our new Samsung. Some movies I absolutely despise having it. Star Wars: A New Hope for example. Some of the scenes looked awful...cheap. I hated it.

Other movies, I absolutely loved it. Transformers comes to mind.

I'm not sure what it is, but with some movies and shows it worked...with others...not at all. Fortunately, changing the setting for the film like appearance is very easy.
So the bottom line is: new movies with today's updated CGI = it looks great (Life of Pi, Transformers). All movies with natural landscape scenes and cinematography = great (Lost)

But classic movies with digital special effects done the old way (SW A New Hope) = not so good: it shows the cheapness

to me, what matters the most is how the new Samsung TVs effect classic makeup, such as prosthetics in films like THE THING(1980) or TOTAL RECALL (1990)
Old 04-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #140
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
So the bottom line is: new movies with today's updated CGI = it looks great (Life of Pi, Transformers). All movies with natural landscape scenes and cinematography = great (Lost)

But classic movies with digital special effects done the old way (SW A New Hope) = not so good: it shows the cheapness

to me, what matters the most is how the new Samsung TVs effect classic makeup, such as prosthetics in films like THE THING(1980) or TOTAL RECALL (1990)
ummm, more like ANYTHING with motion smoothing looks like crap (except maybe football games).....
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies