Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
8 hrs ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99
16 hrs ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
16 hrs ago
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50
 
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
 
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50
1 day ago
Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$14.96
13 hrs ago
Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99
 
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
Masterpiece: All Creatures Great and Small (Blu-ray)
$34.16
11 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60
 
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 10-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #21
Moefiz Moefiz is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Moefiz's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
288
20
15
70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4blu View Post
starting to think that why wait??? atleast for me...

i am only going to use this ipad for internet surfing, video watching, ipod for songs maybe. but other than that i dont see why i need a camera or this facetime thing everyone is talking about.

i would be sitting on my loveseat surfin the net for it or sometimes taking it somewhere and while on the road amybe watch a video (if i am not the driver). maybe play some online texas holdem, oh and the games. i just cant see the camera thing being a big deal for me.

the only reason why i would wait for the next gen to come out is if it had something better such as software or added free apps or something like that.
Look at it this way, most of the new software that came out with the new MBA the other day is what you may get with the second gen pad when its release..except for the operating system.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #22
ryan4blu ryan4blu is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ryan4blu's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die
8
175
1
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moefiz View Post
look at it this way, most of the new software that came out with the new mba the other day is what you may get with the second gen pad when its release..except for the operating system.
mba?

Last edited by ryan4blu; 10-23-2010 at 10:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #23
ryan4blu ryan4blu is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ryan4blu's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die
8
175
1
27
Default

How about this blackberry playbook i just did some reading on. seems pretty killer to me. i could not find what OS was on it, wether windows based? seems like it will be a super competitor for ipad.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #24
Edh63 Edh63 is offline
Senior Member
 
Edh63's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Wimberley, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4blu View Post
starting to think that why wait??? atleast for me...

i am only going to use this ipad for internet surfing, video watching, ipod for songs maybe. but other than that i dont see why i need a camera or this facetime thing everyone is talking about.

i would be sitting on my loveseat surfin the net for it or sometimes taking it somewhere and while on the road amybe watch a video (if i am not the driver). maybe play some online texas holdem, oh and the games. i just cant see the camera thing being a big deal for me.

the only reason why i would wait for the next gen to come out is if it had something better such as software or added free apps or something like that.
Facetime is a pretty neat feature. This allows you to have a conversation with another iPhone user and be able to video conference with them. You do have to have an available internet connect to use it, but it is pretty nice.

If in fact the iPad 2 has that feature, I would consider an upgrade. I still would need to test drive it first. What would kill it for me is if they reduce the size of the unit. Like I stated before, I think it's a perfect size now. If it gets any smaller, I believe I would be out of the deal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #25
sfmarine sfmarine is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
sfmarine's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
7
242
1365
276
459
490
527
6
39
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edh63 View Post
Facetime is a pretty neat feature. This allows you to have a conversation with another iPhone user and be able to video conference with them. You do have to have an available internet connect to use it, but it is pretty nice.

If in fact the iPad 2 has that feature, I would consider an upgrade. I still would need to test drive it first. What would kill it for me is if they reduce the size of the unit. Like I stated before, I think it's a perfect size now. If it gets any smaller, I believe I would be out of the deal.
I totally agree. I think the size is perfect. A test drive is definitely the way to go. I'm pretty sure we will be seeing these in stores around April.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #26
ryan4blu ryan4blu is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ryan4blu's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die
8
175
1
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmarine View Post
I totally agree. I think the size is perfect. A test drive is definitely the way to go. I'm pretty sure we will be seeing these in stores around April.
not sure if i want to wait that long. i am looking to grab something before the end of the year. anyone know anything about the blackberry tablet?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:15 AM   #27
JimSD JimSD is offline
Expert Member
 
JimSD's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4blu View Post
i did do research and google the ipad, read about it, went to apple store and played around with it several times now. ALL i was looking for was some helpful user opinions and comments on their Ipads, thats all.

but i do thank you for the info. looks like they are going to reduce the size of it from 9.7" to 7"???? i think i would rather have the bigger one
They won't take the current size away. Jobs was saying earlier in the week that the 7" competitors that have been announced recently were too small. If they do come out with a smaller version they certainly won't be getting rid of the current one. I would also question that it will have a USB port - the article quoted in a previous post was just someone's speculation, not fact.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:16 AM   #28
Hammie Hammie is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Hammie's Avatar
 
May 2008
Washington, DC Metro
53
545
12
10
Default

Well, sorry I'm late to the party as I have been out all day.

I have had a 64GB 3G+Wi-Fi version since day one release. Everything mentioned above is very good opinion.

I am totally addicted to my iPad. I don't go anywhere without it. The one point about this is that you must have some sort of bag (backpack or messenger) in order for it not to be an inconvenience. I went the messenger bag route for mine. There are TONS of options for bags.

I use mine in a number of ways.

For pleasure, i primarily use it for reading (eBooks, magazines, and text books), e-mail, and web surfing. I also use it for some cool things. I control my Mac Mini, Apple TV, and Denon receiver. Once multitasking is available next month, it will make it even easier to switch back and forth between those apps. Another thing I do it track all purchase deliveries in a single app whether it is USP, FedEx or USPS. I keep track of all my banking, including my Starbucks card through various apps.

For more work related tasks, I do word processing mostly. I also have Cisco certification practice exams, a GPS app for my car, and traffic apps.

To round off things, I also have weather apps, games, my DirecTV Sunday Ticket app, and a few news related apps.

I really do EVERYTHING with it. Even though I am not using my iPad right now (it's in the basement charging), it is the most versatile electronic device I own. Keep in mind that you will need a computer for the initial sync and any subsequent software updates.

As far as whether 3G is necessary depends on where you live and where you go. If you are in an area that has tons or wi-fi hotspots, then a 3G is probably not as useful as someone like me who, outside of my home and Starbucks, have limited access to hotspots. I felt it was worth it.

Regarding the next Generation iPad, I have heard from a reliable source that the next version will have some sort of camera. I don't see a USB port happening, but a camera is pretty sure. At first I did not see a use for a camera, but as I get into this and see various iPhone apps, I can see them port over nicely to the iPad. Some of them in particular would be scanning type apps (barcode readers, etc.).

Unless a camera is something you REALLY feel you need, then there probably is no need to wait until the April timeframe.

Good luck and feel free to respond to this thread or PM me directly if you have any specific questions.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:57 AM   #29
ryan4blu ryan4blu is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ryan4blu's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die
8
175
1
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
Well, sorry I'm late to the party as I have been out all day.

I have had a 64GB 3G+Wi-Fi version since day one release. Everything mentioned above is very good opinion.

I am totally addicted to my iPad. I don't go anywhere without it. The one point about this is that you must have some sort of bag (backpack or messenger) in order for it not to be an inconvenience. I went the messenger bag route for mine. There are TONS of options for bags.

I use mine in a number of ways.

For pleasure, i primarily use it for reading (eBooks, magazines, and text books), e-mail, and web surfing. I also use it for some cool things. I control my Mac Mini, Apple TV, and Denon receiver. Once multitasking is available next month, it will make it even easier to switch back and forth between those apps. Another thing I do it track all purchase deliveries in a single app whether it is USP, FedEx or USPS. I keep track of all my banking, including my Starbucks card through various apps.

For more work related tasks, I do word processing mostly. I also have Cisco certification practice exams, a GPS app for my car, and traffic apps.

To round off things, I also have weather apps, games, my DirecTV Sunday Ticket app, and a few news related apps.

I really do EVERYTHING with it. Even though I am not using my iPad right now (it's in the basement charging), it is the most versatile electronic device I own. Keep in mind that you will need a computer for the initial sync and any subsequent software updates.

As far as whether 3G is necessary depends on where you live and where you go. If you are in an area that has tons or wi-fi hotspots, then a 3G is probably not as useful as someone like me who, outside of my home and Starbucks, have limited access to hotspots. I felt it was worth it.

Regarding the next Generation iPad, I have heard from a reliable source that the next version will have some sort of camera. I don't see a USB port happening, but a camera is pretty sure. At first I did not see a use for a camera, but as I get into this and see various iPhone apps, I can see them port over nicely to the iPad. Some of them in particular would be scanning type apps (barcode readers, etc.).

Unless a camera is something you REALLY feel you need, then there probably is no need to wait until the April timeframe.

Good luck and feel free to respond to this thread or PM me directly if you have any specific questions.
thanks hammie for the great review. i am seriously considering one of these. do you think they will go on sale at all or is there anywhere you can get them cheaper than the apple store retail? i was also told to get the $99 warranty for it as well?

what happens if the battery goes dead? i know that i read somewhere that its not replaceable?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:50 AM   #30
JimSD JimSD is offline
Expert Member
 
JimSD's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4blu View Post
thanks hammie for the great review. i am seriously considering one of these. do you think they will go on sale at all or is there anywhere you can get them cheaper than the apple store retail? i was also told to get the $99 warranty for it as well?

what happens if the battery goes dead? i know that i read somewhere that its not replaceable?
For battery replacement you need to take it to an Apple Store or send it in to Apple for replacement. The cost is $100. I agree that Hammie's review was very good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:59 AM   #31
Hammie Hammie is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Hammie's Avatar
 
May 2008
Washington, DC Metro
53
545
12
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4blu View Post
thanks hammie for the great review. i am seriously considering one of these. do you think they will go on sale at all or is there anywhere you can get them cheaper than the apple store retail? i was also told to get the $99 warranty for it as well?

what happens if the battery goes dead? i know that i read somewhere that its not replaceable?
no. Apple doesn't put things on sale. Starting Thursday, both AT&T and Verizon Wireless stores will be selling the iPad. It will be interesting to hear the service differences between the AT&T and Verizon enabled iPads. BTW, I doubt they will be cheaper than the Apple Stores. Unless AT&T and Verizon offer them with contracts, I don't see them being and cheaper.

Personally, I usually don't get warranties on things under $1000, but that is just me.

Apparently, the battery is replaceable by Apple only. This is no different than the iPods and iPhones.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #32
ryan4blu ryan4blu is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ryan4blu's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die
8
175
1
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
no. Apple doesn't put things on sale. Starting Thursday, both AT&T and Verizon Wireless stores will be selling the iPad. It will be interesting to hear the service differences between the AT&T and Verizon enabled iPads. BTW, I doubt they will be cheaper than the Apple Stores. Unless AT&T and Verizon offer them with contracts, I don't see them being and cheaper.

Personally, I usually don't get warranties on things under $1000, but that is just me.

Apparently, the battery is replaceable by Apple only. This is no different than the iPods and iPhones.
cool, thanks hammie. now to decide if i want 3G or not? i will mostly be using this at home for internet surfing and video watching. i cant see myself bringing it out anywhere. maybe in the van will riding shotgun. it has games on it so i got a toy to play with as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #33
DonRSD DonRSD is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
DonRSD's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
South Florida
24
254
3
128
Default

im going to get an ipad, but im waiting for the ipad 2 to come out

one of 2 things will happen
  • ill like the ipad 2 more and buy it
  • ill like the ipad 1, see no need to get an ipad 2 and get the ipad 1 for cheaper than it costs today

im also worried about the battery.
my 2g iphone which is an ipod player for the car now (airplane mode ON) cant hold a charge for more than 5 hours if i take off the charger.

$100 for a new battery seems like a complete sham when i can buy a new battery for my sprint evo 4g for 10 bucks on ebay.

as far as tethering, i have usb & wireless tethering with my evo so wifi ONLY ipad is all i would look at
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 AM   #34
ryan4blu ryan4blu is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ryan4blu's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die
8
175
1
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRSD View Post
im going to get an ipad, but im waiting for the ipad 2 to come out

one of 2 things will happen
  • ill like the ipad 2 more and buy it
  • ill like the ipad 1, see no need to get an ipad 2 and get the ipad 1 for cheaper than it costs today

im also worried about the battery.
my 2g iphone which is an ipod player for the car now (airplane mode ON) cant hold a charge for more than 5 hours if i take off the charger.

$100 for a new battery seems like a complete sham when i can buy a new battery for my sprint evo 4g for 10 bucks on ebay.

as far as tethering, i have usb & wireless tethering with my evo so wifi ONLY ipad is all i would look at
i was told that applw wont lower the price of the first ipad, they will sell them off to secondary market like amazon and other online sites and maybe they will sell them for a slight reduced price.

funny thing is i see alot of ipads on craigslist, saying new in box for about $25-$50 cheaper than the stores. i dont trust them though, no warranty and such.

does anyon know anything about the other tablets out there such as blackberry playbook??
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #35
Zvi Zvi is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2006
121
Default

I have to use ipad from time to time, as an engineer who develops software for it.
Even though I seriously dislike Apple as a company, I was still considering ipad, at least for evaluation, mainly for mobility at home.

In the end, I don't like it, to me it has shortcomings in every area, and way too limited in general, but again, I'm a software eng.

100$ battery replacement fee - Way too much, if you use it frequently, then obviously you recharge it frequently, and battery life decreases over the time.

Typing - I am not sure how Hammie is using it for word processing, but typing on ipad isn't something I'd want to do for more than few sentences. Sure, it beats iphone or any other similar device, but that's about it.

Web surfing - there are common problems with touch based browsers and ipad has the same. Scrolling perfectly CSS/HTML compliant DIV elements or tables is one example. To be precise, inability to scroll those.

Readability outdoors - Not so good.

Skype still has issues.

As for the camera, considering that current ipad body already has a cutout for the cam and every iteration of Apple products is "revolutionary and groundbreaking", cam is the best candidate to make next ipad revolutionary and "we did it again" thingy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #36
DonRSD DonRSD is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
DonRSD's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
South Florida
24
254
3
128
Default

isnt there an android 'ipad' coming out?

if so how big is the screen? anything smaller than apple's ipad is a no-go for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #37
ryan4blu ryan4blu is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ryan4blu's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die
8
175
1
27
Default

ya not sure with all the mix talk about these Ipads what to do. i think i will wait. not sure if i just would rather get a laptop instead.


so i have asked a few times with no response.

anyone know about any other tablets that are as good or better, such as blackberry playbook????
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #38
HedgeHog HedgeHog is offline
Active Member
 
HedgeHog's Avatar
 
May 2009
Richmond, BC
1
476
Default

Got the 64GB w/ 3G...still haven't signed up to piggy-back my phone data plan so no comment there.

The novelty has worn off and for me, it's kinda a 'meh' purchase. I do like the Remote app for using the Apple TV (G2). Surfing the web, all the same problems one experiences with IOS devices. I don't play games so none of that is a selling point.

Typing is sometimes good/sometimes frustrating. Wife got the wireless k/b to make it easier but when u pair up the BT k/b, the on-screen ones disappears. Guess you can't have both.

Reading on it is ok...images are sharp but staring at it for a long time does cause fatique. And the thing is a lot heavier than it looks. Oh, iMovie doesn't seem to be available for it. Shame, as I think the larger display would have been good to edit vids captured from the iPhone 4 (for those who don't own Macs).

I feel this is a cool toy but it's not sussed out. The Apple hype machine is quite good and ownership experience (while not bad) definitely does not live up to the hype. *I never got one of those Steve Jobs' "Isnt this great!?" carthatic epiphanies.

-H
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:42 AM   #39
Zvi Zvi is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2006
121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4blu View Post
so i have asked a few times with no response.

anyone know about any other tablets that are as good or better, such as blackberry playbook????
Blackberry has better specs, including video conferencing. You can look all that stuff up yourself on the net. I figure didn't get an answer because nobody here has both of them to compare for you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:20 AM   #40
ryan4blu ryan4blu is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ryan4blu's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die
8
175
1
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvi View Post
Blackberry has better specs, including video conferencing. You can look all that stuff up yourself on the net. I figure didn't get an answer because nobody here has both of them to compare for you.
i have looked it up, but there is not much being said about it. even the blackberry site does not mention alot about it.

i went to the apple store again tonight with a friend and played around with the Ipad again, also played with the newest itouch and that new really thin laptop they have out.

i am kinda getting hooked on the whole apple thing. the more i play the more i want one.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Handhelds, Mobiles, Tablets, Apps etc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48 PM.