Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Jiang Ziya (Blu-ray)
$14.96
11 hrs ago
Krull (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$5.99
8 hrs ago
Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Special Member

Mar 2008
India/Bollywood 'Paan Singh Tomar' = Brilliant! An absolute must watch.

Brilliant! Superb! Excellent!

Sounding a bit exaggerated? Maybe so. But not if you take into account the wonderful human story, i.e. 'Paan Singh Tomar'. I have been quite enamored with the work of Tigmanshu Dhulia so far. But even then, he has totally surprised me with how good this movie is. The movie is a perfect example of what good, 'ENTERTAINING', COMMERCIAL cinema can be. I sincerely hope that this movie gets it's due, not only in the awards race, but also at the box office. It is an absolute shame that UTV has released the movie with such low publicity and on such few screens/shows. Hopefully 'word of mouth' will carry this movie through.

For all those who have been gushing over movies such as 'The Dirty Picture' and 'Agneepath' as good/great movies, please go watch 'Paan Singh Tomar' for a lesson in what a good movie actually is. Mind you, it is thoroughly entertaining too.

BTW: Irrfan Khan once again proves, that he is probably (?) the BEST ACTOR in Hindi cinema today.

Last edited by sanjay0864; 03-06-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

@Sanjay, thanks for posting the first member feedback of this film. I'll definitely watch this one.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #3
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

will surely watch it. even my cousin was recommending it to me yesterday but the problem is there is no one who is agreeing to come with me to watch this will catch it in DVD then..maybe. and irfan khan is indeed a gr8 actor... but best (?)
Old 03-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
Special Member

May 2010
Bangalore

@ Sanjay
Thanks for the reaction. In all the positive sense, its delightful to see you appreciating something so wholeheartedly - really means something. Though I may not agree as completely with you for the brilliance of the film on a standalone basis, I must agree with the part about it being a hell lot better than dirty picture and agneepath. The refreshing change that the film brought to the recent kind of films in circulation was more than good enough reason to call it easily 'the best film of 2012' yet.

@ani
Just an FYI, though Sanjay has created a separate thread for it, this actually is not the first member feedback of the film. Ravenus was the one who was the first and has already posted a good full scale review already and link can be found in the 'last blu ray u watched' thread.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2010
India

Re-posting what I'd put up on that thread for reference:
Saw Paan Singh Tomar and was disappointed:
My detailed review
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Special Member

Mar 2008

@Anurag1700, @ravenus - As much as I did truly enjoy the movie, I do agree with your feelings of being slightly disappointed. The disappointment was not about finding the movie less than I expected. But just that feeling that it maybe could have been even more. But as noted in my opening post, I think that the story of 'Paan Singh Tomar' itself lifts the movie way above the Dirty Pictures and Agneepaths. In fact, in all honesty, part of my elation with this movie is probably simply because of the huge void of even half decent Hindi movies.

@Divyansh - This movie truly deserves that you watch it in the theater. I am sure you will like it and so will whoever you can 'force' into watching it with you.

Last edited by sanjay0864; 03-07-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anurag1700 View Post
@ani
Just an FYI, though Sanjay has created a separate thread for it, this actually is not the first member feedback of the film. Ravenus was the one who was the first and has already posted a good full scale review already and link can be found in the 'last blu ray u watched' thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Re-posting what I'd put up on that thread for reference:
Saw Paan Singh Tomar and was disappointed:
My detailed review
I must have missed the post by Ravenus. I am yet to see it, but to continue the discussion I think making a biopic is a very different challenge - it adds restraints on the director to go beyond a certain limit to keep the authenticity of the original story and chain of events in a biopic. Having said that, it shouldn't stop a film maker to add his own creative style to tell the story while adhering to the actual facts.

While research behind a biopic is extremely important and a must have element, as ravenus pointed out sometimes it can lead to a fairly linear storytelling in terms of events and structure making it look more like a documentary and less of a movie. It is up to the skills of the director and the script to keep it faithful to the story yet deliver something cinematic.

I have read the review by Ravenus and I would like to understand from the two of you (Sanjay and Anurag)- What Dhulia has achieved considering the above point in mind? What you think Dhulia should have done to tighten some of the loose ends should you consider there are loose ends at all. We have different tastes and likings and that makes discussions like this more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyansh View Post
will surely watch it. even my cousin was recommending it to me yesterday but the problem is there is no one who is agreeing to come with me to watch this
Why do you need someone to go with you?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Special Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by anibap View Post
I must have missed the post by Ravenus. I am yet to see it, but to continue the discussion I think making a biopic is a very different challenge - it adds restraints on the director to go beyond a certain limit to keep the authenticity of the original story and chain of events in a biopic. Having said that, it shouldn't stop a film maker to add his own creative style to tell the story while adhering to the actual facts.

While research behind a biopic is extremely important and a must have element, as ravenus pointed out sometimes it can lead to a fairly linear storytelling in terms of events and structure making it look more like a documentary and less of a movie. It is up to the skills of the director and the script to keep it faithful to the story yet deliver something cinematic.

I have read the review by Ravenus and I would like to understand from the two of you (Sanjay and Anurag)- What Dhulia has achieved considering the above point in mind? What you think Dhulia should have done to tighten some of the loose ends should you consider there are loose ends at all. We have different tastes and likings and that makes discussions like this more interesting.
I think you have perfectly hit the 'nail on the head'. Actually, I too had said something very similar to my wife, as we walked out of the theater. At least for me, I think the feeling that something is lacking, comes because one feels that maybe it could have been better if the events unfolded a little differently, or things could have maybe ended in a different way. But then, instead of this being a biopic, it would have become a work of fiction. The director's task at hand was to present, not just the sequence of events in the life of 'Paan Singh Tomar', but also to provide an insight into the man's character and compulsions that led him to take the road that ended in his becoming a rebel, or a dacoit if you please. Given that this was all predefined, Dhulia succeeds completely, even if at times it does seem like "been there, done that". Better yet, Dhulia succeeds in his task in a very entertaining manner and one that is well within the norms of commercial Hindi cinema.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:
Why do you need someone to go with you?
i have no strong or logical reason for this...its just that i do feel the need of some company while going out
Old 03-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Special Member

May 2010
Bangalore

Quote:

Talking about linear storytelling, for me its actually the other way round. The film is inclined more towards mainstream than a documentary which is the core issue with the film. Some key reason for this are :

Firstly background score- very loud and misfitting- ruins the very purpose of creating a biopic. So what if the movie is in a race mode, action mode? If the reasoning for a loud score is to tell us its a fast paced film, you've got the whole concept of biopic wrong. The silent mental impact of actual events should be loud in a biopic not their fictional presentation. A subtle score would also have helped giving due recognition to the hard work on accent research. I cud almost hear the distributors screaming at dhulia- 'ur film is about dacoits and u dont even have an item song- better charge up your score as a last resort or look for another buyer!!'

Secondly, the fact that authorities not listening to Paan Singh as the villager only ends up making it another Singham. We saw him not at all panting when any of his race ends which literally makes him a superhero. Hence we do not care anymore if he was an athlete or armyman before injustice happened to him. Why is interval exactly at the exact mid point of villager becoming a dacoit? Sadly audience will lose interest in noticing Irfaan's killer expressions at a point when it matters the most- his transformation- all because of cliched storyelling.

Instead the possible solution would have been to focus more on his transformation of mindset from winning races just to satisfy his food appetite to winning for the country. This thing is shown in one final race but our brain does not register it as he won the race just to take out the frustration of not being allowed to go at war. When his son gets beaten to pulp, and he is forced by his fellows to take revenge, he says violence doesnt help anyone- what made a guy realise that over the years who initially used to be proud of calling his uncles as rebels -actually dacoits who never got caught? clarity of this reasoning in our head would have made the police station scene redundant...and the 'Singham' inducing elements could have been minimised. Just a scene later after he said violence doesnt help anyone, he is declaring that we are leaving next morning with guns. The focal point was the justification of this declaration most importantly from pov of a person who was 'an athlete and an armyman' but sadly comes across as the declaration just from a layman.

Last edited by Anurag1700; 03-08-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

I am waiting for the DVD release to see the film. In the meanwhile, a friend of mine sent me a couple of video links of a Post film screening Q & A with director Tigmanshu Dhulia and writer Sanjay Chouhan at PVR Juhu. Anuraag kashyap arranged the QA.

http://vimeo.com/38152362
http://vimeo.com/38164594

Last edited by anibap; 03-23-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #12

Feb 2010

I have watched the film but sort of remind me of an Episode in Sherlock Hones series where a women goes in search of her husband?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I have watched the film but sort of remind me of an Episode in Sherlock Hones series where a women goes in search of her husband?
Paan Singh Tomar?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #14

Aug 2008

I think Zoran meant Kahaani
Old 03-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2010
India

And what episode from a Sherlock Holmes series is this where a woman goes in search of her husband? In The Man with The Twisted Lip, a woman is looking for her husband but she hires Holmes to do the actual looking around while she worries at home.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #16

Oct 2009

DVD is up for preorder at njmtv.com with release date set as April 13 - pretty quick to DVD!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Is there a Blu-ray release of this movie anywhere in the world? I see 720p rips online, but no place to buy the BD.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #18

Oct 2010

Its available to watch in HD on netflix. Thats where i watched it. Good film but not great. 6/10. Little repeat watch value for me. Quite easily forgotten. Irfan Khan was excellent though.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #19

Sep 2009

A great movie to watch! I also watched the HD streaming via Netflix a few weeks back. (Now if only the Indian Government would invest in more sports)
Also for Those who have Netflix Rowdy Rathore is coming to streaming soon in HD.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #20

Oct 2009

I certainly hope the National Award in the best picture category would warrant a bluray release for this film - been waiting and hoping!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India