Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Jiang Ziya (Blu-ray)
$14.96
11 hrs ago
Krull (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$5.99
8 hrs ago
Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #201
Special Member

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
I really wish they'd ported and translated the making of from the Eagle discs. It was really good from what I could understand
Let's be serious now!

GOW both features were given maximum Video and Audio quality 5/5 on both discs.

Why would you even advice cinelicious to compromise on both the features for some "Making of GOW" after they have given you solid audio commentaries on both.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #202
Special Member

Apr 2009
Dallas, TX

Because it's REALLY good, and even if they'd included it in SD on either disc, it would have affected the quality minimally, if at all. They didn't license it, I asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
Let's be serious now!

GOW both features were given maximum Video and Audio quality 5/5 on both discs.

Why would you even advice cinelicious to compromise on both the features for some "Making of GOW" after they have given you solid audio commentaries on both.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:38 AM   #203
Special Member

Dec 2014
Default DVD Talk's Review Suggests Cinelicious GOW BRD May Be Best Bollywood BRD EVER!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/69081...-of-wasseypur/

Quote:
The Video: out of
This film looks impeccable on Blu-ray. The AVC-encoded 1080p 2.40:1 image has no compression issues. The colors are vivid and the blacks are deep and rich, even when the filmmakers go for a semi-washed-out pseudo-'70s look. Fine detail reproduction is excellent. For a digitally shot movie, the texture is deceptively film-like and warm. (The opening sequence, shot at night, has a more video-ish appearance -- plus it features some sketchy CGI muzzle flashes and bullet holes that thankfully never return -- but night shooting seems like the Achilles heel of many digital cinema cameras. Nonetheless, the Blu-ray offers a spotless reproduction of this sequence.)
Quote:
The Audio: out of
Wow! The main audio offering, a Hindi DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround mix (with optional English subtitles) is a stunner. Meticulously layered and designed, full of atmospheric and directional effects, and just downright powerful, this mix is one of the best surround soundtracks I have heard. During the bombastic climax, my couch was literally shaking (good thing I live on the ground floor). It offers a round and robust bass to say the least. The disc also offers a Hindi LPCM 2.0 stereo mix that is actually a little bit louder, but it also is definitely weaker on the bottom end, making it less impressive overall. I say stick with the surround.

Last edited by Hindustani; 08-31-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #204

May 2009
Default A review of sorts :)

Finally got around to watching this over the weekend. It does take some energy to sit thru GoW in it's entirety! Just wanted to share some thoughts on my viewing experience...

First things first, the PQ/AQ is simply spectacular. I hate throwing adjectives like that but it truly is

I think Anurag's greatness is in identifying and engaging some amazing talent and that is evident from the music directors to actors and in this case, skilled technicians like Rajiv Ravi who frames every shot beautifully to blend in with the narrative. This version of GoW on BD, does great things for those wonderful shots and it's almost perfect! The audio too is amazing. It gave my speakers and sub-worker a good workout. The opening scene shootout reminded me of Michael MAnn's "Heat"... you felt like you were in the middle of the action with guns sounding "real" and bullets whizzing past your ears.

On the film itself, this is the second time I watched GoW and was hoping to get more out if this time than the previous attempt. I was not fully disappointed, the nicely authored disc definitely helped, compared to the trash that I saw earlier on the Eagle version! The actors are just amazing and credit goes to AK for extracting such nuanced performances from even the actors whose names or existence were unknown before this movie.
But while the films are very ambitious in it's scope, the narrative could have benefitted from some more taut editing and perhaps some characters sacrificed. I hate saying this but it was beggining to get monotonus to see more and more neurotic characters pop up constantly, that did not do much for the narrative! I recently watched the NEtflix series "Narco" and kept thinking perhaps GoW could have been made into a mini-series where each character would have had time to develop and their presence, more justified.

All said, this is still a marvelous piece of cinema and commendable for even getting made in the first place. It restores your faith in Indian producers who are willing to fund such efforts. And Cinelicious does full justice to this by rendering a disc that enriches the viewing experience. Very well done and Highly Reccommended!

Last edited by bugsnest; 09-14-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Thanks given by:
anibap (09-14-2015), Hindustani (09-14-2015), Jafar (09-14-2015), mrbrat_Boy (09-14-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #205
Power Member

May 2010

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...c-gangs-843526

Netflix to Stream Indian Epic 'Gangs of Wasseypur' as Series
by Nyay Bhushan
11/24/2015 1:43am PST
The film, from director Anurag Kashyap, is a first-of-its-kind attempt at presenting an Indian film as a series on the streaming giant's service worldwide.

Netflix will offer a specially edited version of Anurag Kashyap's two-part Indian film epic Gangs of Wasseypur, which premiered at Cannes in 2012 in the Director's Fortnight section, as an eight-part series on its streaming service worldwide.

The movie also traveled to various other festivals, including Sundance.

Addressing a panel on Monday at the Film Bazaar in Goa, which discussed "new boundaries in content creation, marketing and monetizing," Kashyap said the first-of-its-kind attempt at presenting Wasseypur as a series on Netflix "reflects how digital distribution can play a role in expanding a film's audience after its theatrical release."

The discussion was timely given that Netflix and Amazon are planning to launch their services in India next year.

Co-produced by Viacom18 Motion Pictures, the film's North American rights are held by Cinelicious, which worked with digital rights aggregator Film Karavan and the film's producer Guneet Monga on the Netflix deal, which has acquired worldwide rights. The series will stream on Netflix in the first week of December, subtitled in English, Spanish, French, Arabic and Chinese.

An epic tale spanning generations and timelines, Wasseypur revolves around the coal mafia in India's Bihar state and stars actors Manoj Bajpai and Nawazuddin Siddiqui (The Lunchbox) and actresses Huma Qureshi and Richa Chadha, among others.

Film Karavan has also sold a package of 20 titles to Netflix, including Fandry, Amal, Loins of Punjab, Kshay and Suleimaani Keeda, which reflect a different sensibility than mainstream Bollywood.

In terms of Bollywood fare, Film Karavan has sold Netflix titles such as this year's comedy hit Piku, starring Bollywood icon Amitabh Bachchan. Produced by Sony Entertainment Television's India film unit MSM Motion Pictures, Piku is set to stream in January.

"The fact that mainstream Bollywood films are being subtitled in various languages for global streaming indicates at the potential of Indian films seeking an audience beyond the diaspora, said Film Karavan co-founder Pooja Kohli Taneja.

Addressing attendees, which included aspiring filmmakers hoping to make a mark in India's evolving independent scene, Kashyap elaborated further on the opportunities offered by digital distribution: "The other advantage of a web series is that we do not need to deal with obnoxious censorship and we have creative freedom."

India's censor board has been under recent fire for demanding cuts in films, such as the new James Bond title Spectre, which had to shorten some of its kissing scenes. By contrast, online content creators have managed to push the envelope. But early this year authorities instructed comedy collective AIB to remove the YouTube video of its first-of-a-kind Bollywood celebrity roast, which was considered offensive due to foul language.

Organized by the government's National Film Development Corporation, Film Bazaar, which is in its ninth year and promotes independent filmmakers through various programs, concludes on Tuesday. It opened on Nov. 20.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:50 PM   #206

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnest View Post
Finally got around to watching this over the weekend. It does take some energy to sit thru GoW in it's entirety! Just wanted to share some thoughts on my viewing experience...

First things first, the PQ/AQ is simply spectacular. I hate throwing adjectives like that but it truly is

I think Anurag's greatness is in identifying and engaging some amazing talent and that is evident from the music directors to actors and in this case, skilled technicians like Rajiv Ravi who frames every shot beautifully to blend in with the narrative. This version of GoW on BD, does great things for those wonderful shots and it's almost perfect! The audio too is amazing. It gave my speakers and sub-worker a good workout. The opening scene shootout reminded me of Michael MAnn's "Heat"... you felt like you were in the middle of the action with guns sounding "real" and bullets whizzing past your ears.

On the film itself, this is the second time I watched GoW and was hoping to get more out if this time than the previous attempt. I was not fully disappointed, the nicely authored disc definitely helped, compared to the trash that I saw earlier on the Eagle version! The actors are just amazing and credit goes to AK for extracting such nuanced performances from even the actors whose names or existence were unknown before this movie.
But while the films are very ambitious in it's scope, the narrative could have benefitted from some more taut editing and perhaps some characters sacrificed. I hate saying this but it was beggining to get monotonus to see more and more neurotic characters pop up constantly, that did not do much for the narrative! I recently watched the NEtflix series "Narco" and kept thinking perhaps GoW could have been made into a mini-series where each character would have had time to develop and their presence, more justified.

All said, this is still a marvelous piece of cinema and commendable for even getting made in the first place. It restores your faith in Indian producers who are willing to fund such efforts. And Cinelicious does full justice to this by rendering a disc that enriches the viewing experience. Very well done and Highly Reccommended!
I really need to buy the US Version, I've read about how good the transfer is many many times now. And for me this is AK's best work
Old 11-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #207

Jan 2011

The minister's Bollywood theory was
Old 12-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #208
Special Member

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas Dadry View Post
I really need to buy the US Version, I've read about how good the transfer is many many times now. And for me this is AK's best work
No need to buy it anymore.

NETFLIX has GOW (I and II) as series as Season 1: 1-8 episodes in HDX and 5.1 Dolby.

Enjoy it for free.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #209
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

lol are we really going to compare streaming quality with blu ray?
Old 12-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #210
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Johannesburg - South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin View Post
lol are we really going to compare streaming quality with blu ray?
Dude, you echoed my thoughts...
Old 12-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #211
Power Member

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
No need to buy it anymore.

NETFLIX has GOW (I and II) as series as Season 1: 1-8 episodes in HDX and 5.1 Dolby.

Enjoy it for free.
The Netflix version is edited down from the films. So if you want the entire thing, the Blu-Ray is the way to go.
Thanks given by:
Hindustani (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #212
Special Member

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragun View Post
The Netflix version is edited down from the films. So if you want the entire thing, the Blu-Ray is the way to go.
wasnt aware of the "edited" aspect by NETFLIX. thanks.

I thought they just cut each movie off at every 40 min point and called it an episode.

Atleast, it seemed that way from the season 1: 8 episodes version.

I haven't seen it myself and wont even bother to.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #213

Jul 2012
Paris, France

The UK blu seems cut compared to the US one.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:13 AM   #214
Power Member

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviergregoire View Post
The UK blu seems cut compared to the US one.
Do you mean the German release? I couldn't find a UK release.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:04 AM   #215
Special Member

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragun View Post
Do you mean the German release? I couldn't find a UK release.
Its most probably european (german region B) release he meant.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #216

Jul 2012
Paris, France

No the Eagle Pictures one

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gangs...Blu-ray/66303/
Old 10-05-2020, 12:10 AM   #217

Mar 2012

Can anyone comment on the quality of the german release?
Old 10-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #218

Sep 2010
Antwerp, Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edworld View Post
Can anyone comment on the quality of the german release?
Found this comment on Amazon.de =>
"This is the best region B transfer available and it IS excellent in both video and audio. Unfortunately there are no extras as found on the fantastic Cinelicious Region A version, however both parts 1 and 2 each have one whole disc dedicated to them, so thankfully the quality of the main presentation is maintained and allowed room to breathe. There are no English subs (understandably as it's for the German market), however the dialogue, despite having a strong regional accent and being peppered with profanity throughout, is clear, and one gets sucked into the story so quickly that you pick up the language rhythms very quickly."

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Manoj-Baj...1919039&sr=8-1

This 2-disc blu-ray set is also quite cheap now => less than 5 EUR.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:15 AM   #219

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew-Kenneth View Post
Found this comment on Amazon.de =>
"This is the best region B transfer available and it IS excellent in both video and audio. Unfortunately there are no extras as found on the fantastic Cinelicious Region A version, however both parts 1 and 2 each have one whole disc dedicated to them, so thankfully the quality of the main presentation is maintained and allowed room to breathe. There are no English subs (understandably as it's for the German market), however the dialogue, despite having a strong regional accent and being peppered with profanity throughout, is clear, and one gets sucked into the story so quickly that you pick up the language rhythms very quickly."

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Manoj-Baj...1919039&sr=8-1

This 2-disc blu-ray set is also quite cheap now => less than 5 EUR.
Thanks for taking the time to research for me. I also see that Spain has a 2 disc bluray version, will look into this to see if it has english subtitles. Hopefully it has the same quality as the German edition...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India