Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
1 day ago
Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (Blu-ray)
$22.00
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #21

Jan 2012

How is the music and BGM? it was done by AR .Rahman's nephew G.V Prakash.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #22

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepraba View Post
How is the music and BGM? it was done by AR .Rahman's nephew G.V Prakash.
GV Prakash's BGM score is one of the best things about the film...considering GV Prakash hardly understands Hindi and that too such dialect of Hindi!!

I won't be surprised if he wins awards for his BGM for this one

I liked the way the songs have been incorporated in the film....esp the Jiya Ho Bihar Ke Lala in the climax
Hunter and O Womaniya songs are already rocking the charts...but its the Keh ke Loonga with the different fresh feel to it that rocks the most

Last edited by cinefan indian; 06-30-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #23
Power Member

May 2010

GV Prakash only did the score. Sneha Khanwalkar did the songs, which are really good.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #24

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonAngel View Post
Whats this bollywood fascination for English titles?? Is the overseas/english speaking desi market so out-numbering the local??? I for one simply hate this overload of english titles!
Indians love to copy move titles also. Anyone remember Gangs of New York (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217505/)? That movie was set in 1863, and Gangs of Wasseypur is set towards the end of the British Raj.

I used to have a problem with English move titles, but now I understand. Some words in English are easier to say than in Hindi.

I think the movie should be good. It is by Anurag Kashyap.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #25

Jan 2012

I am sure GV prakash must have asked his Uncle (ARR) for some advice and suggestions before composing the BGM for this movie.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #26
Special Member

Mar 2008

Having only watched half of the movie so far, it would be unfair to pass judgement overall. But if GOW Part I were to be judged as a complete movie by itself, it fails to hold up. That does not necessarily mean I think it is a bad movie, just that it left me rather unsatisfied. Based on Part I, GOW seems like another Anurag Kashyap movie which promises so much, but somehow fails to deliver completely. As is usual for an Anurag Kashyap movie, GOW too has some brilliant moments, but as is also the case with most of his movies, the overall product is not as great as it's parts.

PS: Did I miss something or was the timeline in GOW rather confused. 'Trishul (1978)' & 'Mukaddar Ka Sikander (1978)', both are referenced in the mid 80's, after 'Kasam Paida Karne Waale Ki (1984)'. Also, in the petrol pump scene (early 1970's), the dispensing units have a BPCL logo. BPCL was not formed until the end of 1977.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #27
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

watching GoW now...
Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #28

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay0864 View Post
Having only watched half of the movie so far, it would be unfair to pass judgement overall. But if GOW Part I were to be judged as a complete movie by itself, it fails to hold up. That does not necessarily mean I think it is a bad movie, just that it left me rather unsatisfied. Based on Part I, GOW seems like another Anurag Kashyap movie which promises so much, but somehow fails to deliver completely. As is usual for an Anurag Kashyap movie, GOW too has some brilliant moments, but as is also the case with most of his movies, the overall product is not as great as it's parts.

PS: Did I miss something or was the timeline in GOW rather confused. 'Trishul (1978)' & 'Mukaddar Ka Sikander (1978)', both are referenced in the mid 80's, after 'Kasam Paida Karne Waale Ki (1984)'. Also, in the petrol pump scene (early 1970's), the dispensing units have a BPCL logo. BPCL was not formed until the end of 1977.
yes u missed the ad banner on the theater RAY Cinema where Trishul was shown in the film...it read - TRISHUL - Aapke Shehar mein Paanchi baar

So I guess its justified Trishul being shown watched in 80s..small towns like such back then had tremendous repeat audience for such films ...all till the VHS revolution arrived
Old 07-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #29
Special Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinefan indian View Post
yes u missed the ad banner on the theater RAY Cinema where Trishul was shown in the film...it read - TRISHUL - Aapke Shehar mein Paanchi baar

So I guess its justified Trishul being shown watched in 80s..small towns like such back then had tremendous repeat audience for such films ...all till the VHS revolution arrived
Thanks, I did miss the banner. Theatrical re-runs was quite common even in big cities until home video affected the market and then later illegal cable networks totally killed the business.

But what about the reference to 'Muqadar Ka Sikandar' and the BPCL petrol pump?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #30

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay0864 View Post
Thanks, I did miss the banner. Theatrical re-runs was quite common even in big cities until home video affected the market and then later illegal cable networks totally killed the business.

But what about the reference to 'Muqadar Ka Sikandar' and the BPCL petrol pump?
Muqaddar Ka Sikandar for the childhood silent romance analogy with Faisal but then BPCL yes u r bang on there on pointing out their mistake
Old 07-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #31

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinefan indian View Post
Muqaddar Ka Sikandar for the childhood silent romance analogy with Faisal but then BPCL yes u r bang on there on pointing out their mistake
We are debating over the inaccuracy in timing of a corporate logo? In a Hindi Film?? I am loving this!

Indian cinema finally pays attention to detail (in this case not entirely but still a worthy attempt)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #32
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

watched gangs of wasseypur today (unexpectedly)
actually we had plans to watch amazing spiderman but one of the friends had already watched that so watched this instead

And oh man! i loved it... movie was really good
the script was tight and kept us engaged for 2 and half hours
friends loved the "gaali-galoch"

all in all a really good film and waiting for part 2

other points
watched at Big Odeon CP and IMO the it had the best PQ of any theater i've watched movie in (watched teri meri kahani last week at DT gurgaon (star mall) and the PQ was poor)

audio mix of the movie was pretty good(though not great)

Movie 4/5
Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #33
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

Saw GoW early this week.

What worked for me- Scale and scope (the attempt), research, exquisite detailing, good performances, brilliantly shot and filmed (including other technical aspects), script (partly), the first 15-20 mins (shahid khan part) and some terrific moments later that adds to its repeat-view value.

What didn't work for me - Editing, scale and scope (failing to do justice), length was the biggest issue for me while watching, but its not actually the length, rather the way the film is edited and how it got into some kind of limbo in the middle after a good opening- honestly, it became quite boring at a point and it took a long time to get out of that mode. I also found inconsistencies in the script like the way some of the characters are established, but their development and progress (or the lack of it) kind of ruined the integrity - one example is Sultan Qureshi. Even Sardar khan's rise to become the most feared ganglord in Wasseypur is not etched out well enough and lacks the kind of maturity expected from a good film maker.

To conclude, I liked the movie for its parts and not as a whole. I couldn't ignore the issues that worked against it. I'd definitely watch it a couple of times more on DVD or BD, but I am pretty sure that my finger will be on the ffwd button - and for this reason only I wouldn't call it a classic or cult in my books.

Hope part 2 will deliver something more interesting, engaging and exciting.

Last edited by anibap; 07-05-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #34

Nov 2009

I heard something from my informer.
Anurag Kashyap wants to go Toronto Film Festival.
If you live in Toronto, you could see this film.
I guess this one will chose Gala Presentation.
Anyway, I hope that GoW get commecial success, then we could get this film on blu-ray.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #35

Nov 2009

GoW will be out Eagle label
OMG...
Old 07-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Johannesburg - South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by raSpberRy View Post
GoW will be out Eagle label
OMG...
Eagle???
Old 07-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #37

Nov 2009

Yes, Eagle...
Nothing to say...

http://www.flipkart.com/gangs-wassey...3-6f9045b2bf94
Old 07-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #38

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by raSpberRy View Post
I haven't much experience with Flipkart but it says an "early August" release on DVD. How reliable are they in terms of dates? I have someone coming from India during middle of August so could ask them to bring it along.

I have given up on the possibility that this movie will have a US release anytime
Old 08-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #39

Dec 2006

When the **** is this movie releasing on Bluray?

Seriously. Being in US I'm forced to torrent a cam rip to watch it, literally no other way. I still haven't seen it. Bluray should have been out by now that Part 2 is days away.

Last edited by Params7; 08-06-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #40

Nov 2009

GoW part 2 will be release 9th August (in India)
Unfortunately, Eagle company hold the right of DVD in India
You'd better give up getting blu-ray of this film.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India