Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Monster Hunt (Blu-ray)
$15.49

Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Bait 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 10-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #41
Banned

Oct 2015

I have the OLED LG TV and the passive 3D glasses seem pretty low quality, can any one recommend a much better set? I'm willing to pay extra for them. Thanks
Old 12-29-2015, 12:56 AM   #42

Feb 2010
Newton, Ks

If you really want to splurge go for the passive 3D Oakley Gascan Glasses. I bought a pair of the Transformers: DotM pair while they were still in production. It was $120 then, but Oakley stopped doing 3D glasses. There were some cool special edition glasses like Tron, Tin Tin, Hobbit... etc. But they will be heavily marked up on eBay.
Thanks given by:
ZIROK (05-13-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #43
Special Member

Sep 2011
Northern CA
Default High End 3D Passive glasses shootout Oakley HDO, Gunnar Midnight Oynx, Sony BKM-30G

Over the years I have seen various small comparisons of passive 3D glasses but none of them really giving me an idea of which ones do better than others.
So over the last few months after I got a new LG OLED E6. I though I would search out to find the BEST pair of 3D passive glasses possible. Or maybe these high end glasses aren’t any better than the ones I get with the TV.

Normally I do not wear glasses. I also don’t like the idea of having to wear them either. I don’t like the fogging, smudging, glare and darkening of the picture you get while watching a movie. So my goal was to seek out a pair of glasses that would give me the brightest clearest picture possible. A pair of glasses that felt like I was wearing nothing. During my adventures I hoped to try all of the highest end glasses possible including the Oakley Gascans, the Gunnar Midnight Onyx, and the (targeted for 3D production operators) Sony BKM-30G. All of these 3 glasses tend to sell retail for roughly $90-$180. Although they can be found cheaper on E-bay etc.

The first pair of glasses I bought was a pair of mid to lower end glasses called True Depth 3D replacing the LG Cinema glasses my TV came with. Less than $20 a pair, these glasses brought a clear improvement to the picture in various ways.
1st they have a lighter yellow tint and more neutral color than the LG’s. Plus they wrap around the head better blocking the light from the sides. The lens themselves are also curved to better immerse the viewer. The only slight down side is that they are heavier and weigh more on the face, they also have a bit of glare on the outer 4 edges, but less than the LG’s.
Overall these are a very good pair of glasses for the price.

After getting these I want to spend some real money and dive into the more expensive 3D glasses and do a more detailed comparison.

The first pair of high end 3D glasses I purchased was the Oakley Gascan HDO-3D. These seemed to be the most popular and easiest to obtain high end glasses, so I started with the Tintin Gascan Special Edition 3D glasses. These glasses feel close to the same weight as the True Depth glasses with a wrap around styling.https://www.geartrade.com/item/24643...ntin-3d-gascan

Putting these glasses on I could see a difference right away between these and the True Depth’s. The Oakleys had a much stronger and brighter yellow tint. The clarity was very close to the True Depth, but maybe a hair better. These also had some glare on the edges but after testing with some background sunlight I found out these have less glare than the True Depth but wish these didn’t have a reflective glossy frame. I know Oakley also makes a matte pair which I wish I might test out latter.
Overall while I find these a hair better than the True Depth but I wish they didn’t push the color so strongly toward yellow. For example while watching the beginning of Oz the Great and Powerful or The Creative from the Black Lagoon, both movies had now a sepia tone rather than a more neutral Black and White. I also tested this out at the theater while watching Star Wars Rough One. Weighting both the positives and negatives I leaned toward the Oakley.

Next Up was the Gunnar Midnight Onyx. http://www.gunnars.co.in/uploads/edi...s/3d_chart.pdf
Looking at these glasses, the first thing I noticed was the spring hinges and the adjustable nose pads rather than the “one piece” feeling from the other two glasses. Putting them on, I noticed right away the CLARITY! These greatly reduced the “fog” that other glasses had. Comparing these to the Oakley Gascans, the Gunnars are clearly brighter, and produced a “smoother”, sharper, less reflective image. These made such a STRONG difference, I actually thought the Oakleys got smudged, so I cleaned them carefully with water twice just to make sure.

While they didn’t wrap around and block the side light as well as the Oakley, I didn’t care. These had a little less glare on the sides and a thinner frame which was less distracting to my overall viewing. I didn’t think I would like the movable nose pads, (they look fragile) but actually worked out well.
Regarding the color tint. The Gunnars had a color far more neutral than the Oakley. Comparing to the True Depth, the color tint was very close, but I found the Gunners to be superior due to the strong increase in clarity and brightness. One other note was what best can be described as a slight distortion on the outer edges of my view, past the view of the glasses. This might also cause some slight discomfort for those very sensitive to the effect.

The final pair was the hard to get Sony BKM-30G http://www.pro.sony.eu/pro/lang/en/e...specifications A clip on pair is also made. http://www.pro.sony.eu/pro/lang/en/e...-31g/overview/

These are used in the professional industry with professional 3D monitors and the LMD-2451MT medical 3D monitor. These were the hardest to find of three to find.

The first impression on these was WEIGHTLESSNESS. At Approx. 18 g these things truly feel like you are wearing nothing. The arms are plastic and flexible. These are easily the most comfortable glasses of the bunch. While watching Oz the Great and Powerful I noticed that these easily beat the Oakley’s in clarity and were very close to the Gunnars. Wearing both of them going back and forth it was very close but ultimately I preferred the clarity of the Gunnars. Regarding glare, these had more edge glare than the Gunnar and let in more light on the edges due to the shape. On color tint, these had a slightly more brown tint than the Gunnars.
I should note, these glasses are much easier to clean and smudged much less than both the Gunnars and the Oakley. It seemed like I spent a lot more time cleaning/removing smudges from all of the other brands.

I had a hard time choosing between the Gunnars and the Sony BKM’s, but in the end I think I liked the Gunners which I have two pairs of now. Both fantastic.

The biggest advantage to the Sonys are the lack of smudging/easier to clean lens and the weightlessness structure.
The biggest advantage to the Gunnars are the anti-glare, the overall highest brightness and clarity.
I would not recommend the Oakley’s for the price.
The True Depth are nice for the price, but are easily beat by the more expensive brands.
If you normally wear prescription glasses I would highly recommend a Clip-on pair of the BKM-31's.

As a side note I also compared some of the cheaper brands like Sony TDG-500P, LG's, Schleiter & Jauernig and Vizio.
None of these are on the level of clarity as the Gunnar and the Sony BKM-30's,

I hope to have another post with some photos comparing things a little closer soon.

Last edited by grodd; 07-03-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (11-24-2017), GenPion (04-15-2018)
Old 02-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #44

Sep 2014

Thank you for this comparison! Can I ask you where you were able to get a pair of the Gunnar Midnight Onyx, and how much you paid? Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2017, 11:36 PM   #45
Special Member

Sep 2011
Northern CA

I got mine from E-bay and paid around $50. Online websites tend to sell them for around $130. The Sonys tend to be the most expensive and retailers sell them for around $175. I got my pair from Craig's List LA at roughly half price. If you have a lot of 3D movies I would highly recommend either. Both are a step above everything else in clarity.

Last edited by grodd; 02-12-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:59 AM   #46

Sep 2014

Thanks Grodd! I just snagged a pair of the Midnight Onyx on Ebay (there was only one). Looking forward to giving them a try!
Old 02-12-2017, 04:11 AM   #47
Special Member

Sep 2011
Northern CA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rek84 View Post
Thanks Grodd! I just snagged a pair of the Midnight Onyx on Ebay (there was only one). Looking forward to giving them a try!

Cool let me know what you think.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #48
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Gunnar Midnight 3D Glasses:
Gunnar Midnight 3D Glasses.jpg

Besides the build quality of the Gunnar Midnight 3D Glasses, wonder if the 3D is just as effective with a $15.00 pair of the Gunnar Optiks GLI-00106 Gliff Full Rim Premium 3D Glasses with RealD Compatibility

Gunnar Optiks GLI-00106 Gliff Full Rim Premium 3D Glasses:
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 11.12.26 AM.jpg

Last edited by Paul H; 02-12-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:34 AM   #49
Special Member

Sep 2011
Northern CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Gunnar Midnight 3D Glasses:
Attachment 161492

Besides the build quality of the Gunnar Midnight 3D Glasses, wonder if the 3D is just as effective with a $15.00 pair of the Gunnar Optiks GLI-00106 Gliff Full Rim Premium 3D Glasses with RealD Compatibility

Gunnar Optiks GLI-00106 Gliff Full Rim Premium 3D Glasses:
Attachment 161489
Good question, according to the specs sheet they are all different and the Midnight Onyx has the best specs.
GUNNAR Midnight 1.3mm 6b us premium 45.8 99.9 0.19 1.1 RealD Certied 125nm
GUNNAR Gli 1.0mm 6b china + none 41.1 97 0.81 4.5 RealD Compatible TR-90 Swiss Nylon Universal Fit

But I haven't personally tested them.
Spec sheet:
http://www.gunnars.co.in/uploads/edi...s/3d_chart.pdf

Last edited by grodd; 02-13-2017 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #50
Expert Member

Dec 2013
Canada

Specifically for eyeglass wearers, the best inexpensive passive glasses I've tried are the stock Sony 3D glasses they bundled with their passive 3D sets (TGD-500P); their light-weight, minimalist design allows them to comfortably fit over the frame of most prescription glasses.

What I currently use now are the Better 3D View P964 glasses, which also work well for eyeglass wearers. The design is more robust, so they aren't as light. It's a more snug fit, and there are grooves along the inside arm on the sides where your eyeglasses sit on. Because the sides are thicker, it partially blocks your peripheral vision, which can be helpful making watching 3D content a more immersive experience.
Thanks given by:
GenPion (04-15-2018), Paul H (02-13-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 06:15 PM   #51

Oct 2014

I have the Gunnar Gliff and, while they may be a little more transmissive (brighter), they had more ghosting compared to the stock LG's. If I held my head perfectly still, it was about the same, but any tilt to the side and I would see more ghosting.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (02-16-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #52
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014

Will these glasses work in the theater for RealD 3D and IMAX 3D? I am tired of the crappy ones you get a the theater.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:23 AM   #53

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyfaile View Post
Will these glasses work in the theater for RealD 3D and IMAX 3D? I am tired of the crappy ones you get a the theater.
You might want to check a few websites for the glasses. With a little google-fu, I found these

http://www.optics3d.co.uk/

https://www.amazon.com/Better-quality-passive-3D-Panasonic/dp/B014G8R2IE/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1491610897&sr =1-3&keywords=reald+3d+glasses

Looks like Amazon has a bunch of them.

YMMV
Thanks given by:
reeper (02-01-2018)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:37 AM   #54

Apr 2017

is there such thing as better passive glasses? or is it something like hdmi cables where all are same?
Old 05-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #55
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyfaile View Post
Probably not compatible for Imax but should be ok for RealD. (I sometimes bring my clip-on lenses and they work fine for RealD.)
Old 05-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #56

Sep 2013

Try a pair of Gunnars , you can find them on Ebay / amazon. discontinued but very high quality. Gunnar used to make 3 versions of these. Lo/mid/high priced. They are used by videographers that edit 3d movies all day long. Very clear and distortion free. Someone over at the AVs forums did a comparison of all the good 3D glasses, Oakleys gunnars etc. and these looked the best.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:17 AM   #57

Jul 2012

Would anyone like to sell me their Gunnar Midnight Onyx Glasses, I could be looking for two pairs, or one. depending on price. Thank you. Would like to experience the best 3D that OLED has to offer for my G6, and actually would like them for the Last Jedi coming up.

Gunnar Optiks MID-00106 Midnight Onyx 3D glasses.

Thank You!
Old 11-20-2017, 01:36 AM   #58
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default Me Too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post
Would anyone like to sell me their Gunnar Midnight Onyx Glasses, I could be looking for two pairs, or one. depending on price. Thank you. Would like to experience the best 3D that OLED has to offer for my G6, and actually would like them for the Last Jedi coming up.

Gunnar Optiks MID-00106 Midnight Onyx 3D glasses.

Thank You!
Damn you NCKeyz88:

I was just about to ask the same question! I cannot find these glasses anywhere. If I should find a seller I will let you know. Will you let me know if you find a third pair from somebody. They do have the oakleys on amazon which are very good glasses, by the way.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:45 AM   #59

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Damn you NCKeyz88:

I was just about to ask the same question! I cannot find these glasses anywhere. If I should find a seller I will let you know. Will you let me know if you find a third pair from somebody. They do have the oakleys on amazon which are very good glasses, by the way.
Well that doesnt increase my odds.

I did find a pair of polaroid premium covers actually.

Ive even contacted Gunnar, to see if they had any they wanted to let go at their sales offices, They looked hard for me supposively but nothing turned up. THey thought they might have had a few pairs but nogo. The search continues.

Thought about the Sony BMK30Gs, I hear they are still available.

The oakley gascans that are branded with movies are pricey, You can actually buy regular gascan frames and the 3D polarized lenses for 15.00. Makes for around 40-50 bucks for the deal. I dont know about the lens quality though on those, Could be garbage maybe not.

Also if you google, you will see that ezcontactsusa shows they have them available as well as the others, well I bought them, and they said they would ship directly from mfg, called Gunnar, They have never heard of them, Called them back, they then sent me an email that said they have been discontinued. Had them down to 120 with a coupon. Order cancelled, I have no idea why they are stil on their site, I wish they would fall into a hole now for getting my hopes up! lol
Old 11-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #60
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post
Well that doesnt increase my odds.

I did find a pair of polaroid premium covers actually.

Ive even contacted Gunnar, to see if they had any they wanted to let go at their sales offices, They looked hard for me supposively but nothing turned up. THey thought they might have had a few pairs but nogo. The search continues.

Thought about the Sony BMK30Gs, I hear they are still available.

The oakley gascans that are branded with movies are pricey, You can actually buy regular gascan frames and the 3D polarized lenses for 15.00. Makes for around 40-50 bucks for the deal. I dont know about the lens quality though on those, Could be garbage maybe not.

Also if you google, you will see that ezcontactsusa shows they have them available as well as the others, well I bought them, and they said they would ship directly from mfg, called Gunnar, They have never heard of them, Called them back, they then sent me an email that said they have been discontinued. Had them down to 120 with a coupon. Order cancelled, I have no idea why they are stil on their site, I wish they would fall into a hole now for getting my hopes up! lol
That is so funny. I did all these things as well. I called ezcontacts and had them look for me, and they were discontinued. I will let you know how the hobbit/tintins and the gunnars I could find, the gliffs, work, tonight. And yes the Sony are available here at b and h audio but there is a 2 to 4 week wait and also available in England but they are $180.00 either way! So I would say we are SOL. Oh well maybe Paul H. will let us borrow his! Ha.Ha. Keep me up on your search and I will do the same. And good luck to us both.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors