Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wasteland 3 (PS4)
$19.99

Destroy All Humans! (PS4)
$14.99

Train Sim World 2 (PS4)
$19.99

SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated (PS4)
$19.99

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS4)
$34.99

Mass Effect Legendary Edition (PS4)
$59.88
9 hrs ago
Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$24.99

Iron Man VR (PS4)
$19.99

NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$69.70

Injustice 2 (PS4)
$14.99

Ys: Memories of Celceta (PS4)
$29.99
1 day ago
Street Fighter V (PS4)
$20.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-31-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA
Default Dying Light

Quote:
Dying Light Brings New Life to the Zombie Genre

How do you stand out in what’s quickly becoming the most populated subgenre in games? Well, Polish developer Techland, known for Call of Juarez and Dead Island, feels that its new entry into the “try not to get killed by zombies” field is inspired by enough beloved works while delivering an equally impressive suite of original ideas to make people pay attention.

Coming in 2014 to both current and next-gen consoles, Dying Light feels like a zombie action game through the lens of DICE’s parkour classic Mirror’s Edge. The pessimist in me assumes that we’ll never see another Mirror’s Edge game from EA, so the prospect of another developer building upon the concept of first-person free-running is certainly exciting. Much like the 2008 cult hit, the initial moments of the Dying Light demo I saw placed an emphasis on building momentum, finding open paths throughout the environment, and trying to reach your destination in as efficient a manner as possible.

But while Mirror’s Edge encouraged the player to avoid combat at all times, Dying Light empowers you to fight back with the tools to dispatch foes when need be. Through a crafting system that’s currently under wraps, the player was able to attach a battery to a machete and create a blade that electrocuted any unfortunate undead that found itself near the sharp edge. The combat certainly looked polished, but the real reason this game stood out was because of the free-running.

Techland was coy in revealing specific narrative details, but the architecture and general layout of the world has a decidedly South American feel to it. Dense urban sprawl, miles of angular favelas, and a smattering of tropical foliage gave off a very Rio de Janeiro vibe, which is absolutely perfect for the free-running mechanic. The world is absolutely rife with improvisational routes and paths.

I want to go to there.

We do know that Dying Light will feature multiple protagonists, with at least one of them being infected by the virus that started the zombie outbreak. Couple this with confirmed co-op play and what devs at Techland describe as, “incredibly difficult decisions that the player will have to make,” and you can get a good feel for what sort of a story Dying Light is trying to tell.

Intriguing events liberally peppered the demo, and provided some great moments of world-building. The hero heard the cries of a little girl when he passed a building, and the player could choose whether to investigate the noise or simply press on to their primary objectives. Shortly after, he came across a cache of supplies that was being raided by a group of armed soldiers. You’re given the option to give up the spoils and avoid conflict, or fight for the precious resources. But while these moments were great, they felt incredibly scripted and prescribed. Techland promises that Dying Light will be full of dynamic events, but it was hard to gauge that claim during this early look.

Blinded by the light.

While all of these events took place while the tropical sun was blazing overhead, Dying Light lives up to its name by incorporating a day/night cycle that decidedly changes the way you have to play the game. As Techland put it, “You scavenge throughout the day so that you can survive the night.” When the sun goes down, the typical zombies that roam the streets become the least of your worries. Suddenly, a new type of hunter appears that’s much faster and more lethal than the undead.

These creatures, which look like hulking bipeds with mandibles, have heightened senses, meaning that you’ll want to quietly navigate the city during the night. The demo ended with our hero getting spotted by one of these super-beasts, and having to scramble through the labyrinthine alleyways in a desperate attempt to escape the seasoned hunter. It was a thrilling, energetic sequence that highlighted why Mirror’s Edge provided such a unique gaming experience. Here’s to hoping that Dying Light concentrates on flight over fight.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...e-zombie-genre

Quote:
Dying Light is a first person, action survival horror game set in a vast and dangerous open world. During the day, players traverse an expansive urban environment overrun by a vicious outbreak, scavenging the world for supplies and crafting weapons to defend against the growing infected population. At night, the hunter becomes the hunted, as the infected become aggressive and more dangerous. Most frightening are the predators which only appear after sundown. Players must use everything in their power to survive until the morning's first light. Good Night. Good Luck.
Quote:
At night, the world undergoes a deadly transformation: the hunter becomes the hunted as the infected grow more aggressive and numerous, and something far more sinister awakens to stalk its prey
Free Running Movement ? Whether tracking prey or escaping predators, Dying Light lets players swiftly navigate the world by seamlessly leaping between buildings, grappling up walls and pouncing on unsuspecting enemies
Dying Light is set in a vast open world, delivering expansive and varied environments, a wide variety of enemy classes and a hopeless tale of survival where resources are scarce and the infected are not the only threat
Get up-close using a variety of light and heavy weapons including knives, bats, axes, sledgehammers and more exotic weaponry or utilize guns and other firepower to take down enemies from a distance
Why use a wrench when you can use a wrench wrapped in electrified barb wire Dying Light's sizeable crafting system enables players to create a slew of new, more potent weapons and equipment, as well as specialized ammunition
http://www.amazon.com/Dying-Light-Pl...9954975&sr=1-5
Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Wow. Yeah, thanks. I'm a huge zombie fan and never played a good zombie game. This will be a must have for me.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Is Techland really that bad? I was reading a lot of negativity about them. In concept at least, this game sounds fun and scary as hell. I like the idea of being able to run real fast, and climbing and leaping buildings.

And of course, the open world first person play... I've not played a lot of totally open world exploration games. Actually, Morrowind I think, was the only one. And I loved that being able to go anywhere and do anything type of style.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 06-01-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

Aug 2009

actually looks pretty cool
Old 06-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011
UK

I hope this game is better than dead Island.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Old 06-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

I miss the days when Zombies were slow

These days, seems like you're likely to never stay alive lol. I wonder though, which version is actually more accurate regarding the way they'd move. Slow and clumsy, or fast and brutal.

I'd prefer they were a bit slow and clumsy tbh. Might make them easier to survive

This scene when the plane part begins: Man!

Old 06-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Yeah, I know what you mean. Slow zombies seems more like the real type of zombies. Mostly only dangerous when in numbers. The fast ones are scary though. Thanks for the video, pretty cool. I never got to play any resident evil games.

I hope this turns out to be a good game. The negativity I've read towards the developers has me worried. But I'll probably take a chance on it unless there is another zombie game available by then that seems like it might be better.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

Yeah, everyone knows real zombies are slow, and their danger is in their numbers. They can not climb ladders or even stairs, but can crawl up a pile of zombies to reach you at elevation.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Well good news is it looks like a mix of slow and fast zombies with some other genetic mutations in there Also love the fact that there are other humans as a main enemy type. It's not really something a lot of zombie games touch on but you know your not the only one out there for survival.

Last edited by madlost1; 06-08-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. Slow zombies seems more like the real type of zombies. Mostly only dangerous when in numbers. The fast ones are scary though. Thanks for the video, pretty cool. I never got to play any resident evil games.

I hope this turns out to be a good game. The negativity I've read towards the developers has me worried. But I'll probably take a chance on it unless there is another zombie game available by then that seems like it might be better.
Go on eBay, Amazon, the PSN, whatever else you have access too and play Resident Evil 1-4 and Code Veronica now. They are must plays for anyone even remotely interested in zombie's.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlost1 View Post
Go on eBay, Amazon, the PSN, whatever else you have access too and play Resident Evil 1-4 and Code Veronica now. They are must plays for anyone even remotely interested in zombie's.
The only game system I own right now is the first Xbox. Wish I wouldn't have traded in all the stuff I had before that. I didn't think I would want to play the old stuff once I got the new thing. But I miss some of those games. Wish I would have bought a PS3 a long time ago. Wish I could play that new Splinter Cell game, and maybe The Last Of Us too. But I'm not going to buy a PS3 at this point.

There isn't a Resident Evil for the first Xbox is there?

Edit: Nice trailer. I hated the song though. I hope the game play will look that good.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 06-08-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
The only game system I own right now is the first Xbox. Wish I wouldn't have traded in all the stuff I had before that. I didn't think I would want to play the old stuff once I got the new thing. But I miss some of those games. Wish I would have bought a PS3 a long time ago. Wish I could play that new Splinter Cell game, and maybe The Last Of Us too. But I'm not going to buy a PS3 at this point.

Edit: Nice trailer. I hated the song though. I hope the game play will look that good.
Nope none for for the original Xbox. Hopefully if you get a PS4 the PS1 classics and the two PS2 titles will be available via the PSN.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:

If I was in your position, i'd literally wait till this holidays when PS3 gets another price drop. Here in the UK, we can get pre-owned slims from £99 with a 320gb HDD. Then i'd pick up ALL the games I wanted to play from a used store.

That's what i'm planning on doing with the 360 and its exclusives.

I think this is the first gen where we're going to be ok going back to play older titles without much complaints or gripes regarding the graphics. They're still very playable
Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlost1 View Post
Nope none for for the original Xbox. Hopefully if you get a PS4 the PS1 classics and the two PS2 titles will be available via the PSN.
I didn't think so. PSN is playstation network? Like a downloadable game you mean? Yeah, that would be a nice option. I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
If I was in your position, i'd literally wait till this holidays when PS3 gets another price drop. Here in the UK, we can get pre-owned slims from £99 with a 320gb HDD. Then i'd pick up ALL the games I wanted to play from a used store.

That's what i'm planning on doing with the 360 and its exclusives.

I think this is the first gen where we're going to be ok going back to play older titles without much complaints or gripes regarding the graphics. They're still very playable
That's a good idea. I'll look at what the price is and think about it. But I'm probably going to be spending more than I really should already on the PS4 itself and the games I want to play for that. That's kind of why I was wishing I had bought a PS3 a long time ago. That way I could be playing those games I want to play now and it wouldn't be as much a blow to the wallet.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Tbh, if you'd bought them before, it would be an even bigger blow to your wallet. Buying a used PS3 and all the exclusives now in used form saves you thousands pretty much. Games that would have set you back £40 on launch can now be picked up <£10. That's a 4:1 game ratio for every title you would have bought at launch.

The console itself was £425 at launch, so getting a console now for £99, used or not is also a big saving.

Personally, i'm happy to have missed a lot of titles at launch, but some games like Last of Us and Uncharted 2 were must buys imo. Because they have worthwhile single players and the MP is meant to be fab.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Tbh, if you'd bought them before, it would be an even bigger blow to your wallet. Buying a used PS3 and all the exclusives now in used form saves you thousands pretty much. Games that would have set you back £40 on launch can now be picked up <£10. That's a 4:1 game ratio for every title you would have bought at launch.

The console itself was £425 at launch, so getting a console now for £99, used or not is also a big saving.

Personally, i'm happy to have missed a lot of titles at launch, but some games like Last of Us and Uncharted 2 were must buys imo. Because they have worthwhile single players and the MP is meant to be fab.
You're right of course. I just meant as much of a blow to the wallet in such a narrow space of time. If I had bought a PS3 a few years ago I wouldn't feel it as much right now. And I could just go out and pick up one of the new games I'd like to play while I wait for the PS4 games.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 06-08-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Just buy them as and when needed mate, you'll be fine. In fact, here in the UK, PS2 games eventually popped up 4 for £10 lol. Sure you'll have a Gamestop equivalent

Last edited by NARMAK; 06-08-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Just buy them as and when needed mate, you'll be fine. In fact, here in the UK, PS3 games eventually popped up 4 for £10 lol. Sure you'll have a Gamestop equivalent
Hmm, it wouldn't hurt to look into it anyway.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4