Best PS Vita Game Deals

Best PS Vita Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Akiba's Beat (PS Vita)
$19.99

Punch Line (PS Vita)
$37.96

Bad Apple Wars (PS Vita)
$39.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Banned

Jul 2012
Everywhere Yet Nowhere
Default PlayStation App 1.70.50 (iOS + Android)

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced that it will release PlayStation®App, a new application for mobile devices, on November 13, 2013 in North America, and on November 22, 2013 in Europe. PlayStation®App will be available free of charge.

Playstation®App can be downloaded onto various mobile devices, such as iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Android™ based smartphones and tablets, from the App Store and Google Play¹. Once installed, these devices can be used as second screens in supported PlayStation®4 (PS4™) titles, and users can easily access PSN℠ features such as Friend Lists and Trophies.

Furthermore, users will be able to exchange messages with members of their Friends List, and browse through news and information on the official PlayStation® website. PlayStation®App comes with a variety of features that allow users to seamlessly access and enjoy the world of PlayStation®.

The following features are available on PlayStation®App:

l Directly access various PSN℠ features and information
  • Users can access their own profile screen.
  • Users can access/compare their own and friends’ Trophy accomplishments.
  • Exchange messages between PS4 systems, PlayStation®3 (PS3™) systems, PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) systems, and mobile devices installed with PlayStation®App.
  • Access and filter friend profiles.
  • Notify users about their friends’ shared activities on “What’s New”.
  • Notify PS4 users when they receive any new notifications or game invitations. Users can also display their lists of game items.
l Browse the official PlayStation® website and access information

Users can access the PlayStation® official website to browse through news, blogs and game information. The language and content of the website will depend on the country the user’s Sony Entertainment Network account is registered.

l PS4 Second Screen Feature

Users can install PlayStation®App on to their mobile devices to use as a second screen in supported games. For example on THE PLAYROOM, a title pre-installed in all PS4 systems that requires PlayStation®Camera, users can draw pictures on their mobile device screens and flick them towards the TV. The images then appear as a 3D object within the game.

l Spectate other PS4 users’ gameplay

When users’ friends upload or begin live streaming their gameplay on PS4 systems, the friends’ activities are displayed on “What’s New” of the PlayStation®App screen. When users tap on this notification, they can boot pre-installed applications, such as browsers, to spectate the uploaded gameplay. Users can also post comments on gameplay screenshots, footage and live streams.

l Purchase game content on PlayStation®Store

Users can purchase game content² while away from home and download it directly onto their PS4, PS3, and PS Vita³ systems.

l Use a mobile device as a simple remote to control the PS4 system

Once installed, users can use their PlayStation®App to control their PS4 system as long as both devices have access to the same Wi-Fi access point. For example, users can switch their PS4 system to standby mode, startup their PS4 system from standby mode, and use their mobile phone as a keyboard for their PS4 system.

SCE will continuously enrich services and features of PS4, while striving to further expand the PlayStation ecosystem.

¹ Depending on the version of OS or device limitation, users may not be able to use the application.
PlayStation®App will be displayed according to the mobile device’s resolution.
² Video contents cannot be purchased through PlayStation®App.
³ A User must be a member of PlayStation®Plus to download content directly to a PS Vita system.

Last edited by Shin-Ra; 10-27-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007

That is pretty sweet.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Community Gaming Moderator

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

That's awesome!!!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
MD

-and- Android
Old 08-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
Banned

Jul 2012
Everywhere Yet Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
-and- Android
I knew i forgot something
Old 08-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2008
Coronado, Ca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
-and- Android
Thank goodness! I was worried there for a minute.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using carrier pigeons.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Canada 🍁

I take it I shouldn't be counting on an app for my Surface or Lumia?
Old 08-31-2013, 03:19 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
AB, Canada PSNetwork: Rike255

You scared me with the title...but of course it's on Android!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rike255 View Post
You scared me with the title...but of course it's on Android!
Yeah it would be pretty silly to ignore 80% of the market.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

This was demonstrated in the E3 'Sarah Greene' trailer.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:47 AM   #11
Expert Member

Aug 2011

Old 09-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Sony's PlayStation App for iOS and Android devices will let you see what your friends are up to but can also be used as a second screen.

Shuhei Yoshida jumps on stage to demonstrate the app in action. He's signing in live, and up pops an activity feed.

You can send multiplayer invites and text chat with friends. Twitter and Facebook can also be integrated.

There's a 'connect to PS4' button which converts your device to a second screen controller. Hello SmartGlass!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010

I want this app now!!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

I hope this will be available at launch. I really like the idea of being able to browse the PSN store on my phone and download stuff straight to it, ready to play when I get it
Old 09-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Denmark

Do you think that you will be able to control the ps4s Blu Ray playback?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Default Voice messaging, remote store downloads and more in the new Official PlayStation App

Posted on 3 October by Fred Dutton – SCEE Blog Manager
Shuhei Yoshida shows off the new PlayStation App

Quote:
Did any early birds among you stay up the week before last to watch the Tokyo Game Show keynote? If you did, you’ll have seen Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida take to the stage to unveil the new PlayStation App, launching alongside PS4 later this year.

In general terms, the new app allows you to take the PlayStation experience with you when you’re away from your console. You can stay in touch with, friends, compare trophies, view friends’ activity (including recorded or live-streamed gameplay on PS4) and access all the latest PlayStation Blog news.

I caught up with Yoshida-san immediately after the show, and asked him to expand on exactly what gamers can expect from PlayStation App later this year.

“It’s an application that anyone can download for free on iOS and Android devices,” he explained.

“There are a variety of things you can do with it. You can connect to your PlayStation profile, and send messages – even voice messages – to friends between your smartphone and PS4.

A friend on PS4 can also send out an invitation for a multiplayer game, which you can then check on the App, and you can also purchase PS4 games from PlayStation Store. Your game will immediately start downloading while you’re away.

PlayStation App will also offer ‘second screen’ gameplay features on enabled titles. For example, during the TGS presentation Yoshida-san showed how the app interacts with THE PLAYROOM – he drew a picture of Knack on his smartphone’s touch screen and then pushed it into the PS4 game on his TV, allowing the game’s bot characters to play with the item he’d created.

“There are many big publishers creating their own apps for their games, like Watch_Dogs or Battlefield, and that’s great,” he added.

“But smaller developers can use PlayStation App to connect to PS4 and load an application, like drawing software for example, so that you don’t have to download and install a specific app on your smartphone. It’s open to all PS4 developers to use.”

We’ll have a more in-depth look at PlayStation App in action nearer launch, but for now check out the screens for a glimpse of the interface.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
AB, Canada PSNetwork: Rike255

That looks sweet, I love apps! Gone are the days of visiting the playstation website for account information
Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Power Member

Oct 2009
Mobile, AL

Looks pretty sweet! I wonder if they'll support Blackberry.

(Just kidding... no one should support Blackberry.)
Old 10-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Really cool. Can't wait for this to release.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX

I know social gaming is a four letter word, but this is one piece I am looking forward to the most - the whole intgration with smart phones, tablets, etc...

Being able to communicate with PSN friends like a social network and not be tied to the console will be a huge quality of life improvement in my opinion.

Edit - Wonder how much of this will work for the PS3 and Vita too. Assuming a lot will for the Vita but it seems like there shouldn't be any reason why a text message sent to a user shouldn't be able to go to the PS3 as well as any other place. Also wonder if a PS3 only user can use the app and interact with their PS4/Vita friends by smartphone more easily than just with the PS3 alone even if they can't use all the functions.

Last edited by PA_Kid; 10-03-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PlayStation Vita and PlayStation Portable