Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wasteland 3 (PS4)
$19.99

Destroy All Humans! (PS4)
$14.99

Train Sim World 2 (PS4)
$19.99

SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated (PS4)
$19.99

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS4)
$34.99

Mass Effect Legendary Edition (PS4)
$59.88
9 hrs ago
Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$24.99

Iron Man VR (PS4)
$19.99

NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$69.70

Injustice 2 (PS4)
$14.99

Ys: Memories of Celceta (PS4)
$29.99
1 day ago
Street Fighter V (PS4)
$20.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #21
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

Why wouldn't a maker of displays want to manufacture and market another display? The VR device is just a display with speakers attached, no?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #22
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
giving the user the viewing equivalent of a 750″ display from 20 meters.
This is my biggest gripe with the one demoed tbh. That's not the one they should be making to take on Oculus. Oculus basically makes it seem as if you're looking out of your own eyes and completely covers the peripheral vision.

I think their should be an adjustable version though so you can still fill up the screen, but it looks MASSIVE! when watching movies.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #23
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

This might be awesome for some things but crap for others FPS and Driving games yes, MGS5 no
Old 09-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #24
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
This might be awesome for some things but crap for others FPS and Driving games yes, MGS5 no
3rd person games might only warrant a benefit in the 3D department which is my worry also BUT it does represent an opportunity for a viable truly 3D accessory to be used as a display.

Some people don't have a lot of space, and for them this kind of device usually has a lot of promise.

Still, I think this will be a waiting game to see how things pan out and whether it can be used successfully mainstream to be more than a 'gimmick'
Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #25

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
I hate when people make premature comments like these.

You've probably never tried Oculus Rift. How do You know what it will be good and bad for?
Old 09-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #26

Jul 2007

A VR headset might make Move a worthy investment. Imagine playing Demon's Souls 2 or Elder Scroll VI with the VR headset and move mimicking your actions. Not sure, but that kind of makes it seem cool in my head; in reality though, it might only be cool for a minute or two.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #27

Aug 2013
Portlandia

WOW the price for this is way out of my reach..2027.00

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-an...eadset-6414136
Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #28
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
WOW the price for this is way out of my reach..2027.00

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-an...eadset-6414136
Thats OK because it's not the VR headset that's been rumoured. The one in that article was announced at IFA (see a few posts up) and is not a dedicated branded PS4 headset. Just the 3rd itteration of Sony's head mounted display range.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Thumbs down

720p though. Seriously? That is so chunky for something covering your field of vision. No thanks. Sub 1080p gaming was what has seriously disappointed me about current gen console games. We never got the full HD benefit. Now they are trying to troy out medium definition goggles? And stop saying 720p is HD. It isn't. It is closer in lines and pixel court to standard def pal than HD.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #30
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

I'm finally going to find out what all the fuss is about, Oculus Rift has been confirmed to be playable at the EuroGamer Expo in 2 weeks time
Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #31
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Now all we need is a Sword Art Online videogame for it

Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Now all we need is a Sword Art Online videogame for it

I hope we'd be able to log out
Old 09-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #33
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticMutation View Post
I hope we'd be able to log out
If you beat the game you can.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
If you beat the game you can.
How long's the game?!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #35
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticMutation View Post
How long's the game?!
Well it's a MMO, so I guess as long as you want it to be until you reach the final boss on the top floor.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #36
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

John Smedley publicly mentions Sony's unannounced Oculus Rift rival for PS4

A key executive at Sony Online Entertainment believes that his studio's upcoming flagship title, EverQuest Next, could support the PlayStation virtual reality headset.

Sony's VR helmet, revealed by CVG in early September, remains an unannounced project within the PlayStation company. However in November it was discovered that Sony had secured patents for the VR headset.

John Smedley, the president at Sony Online Entertainment, mentioned the device during a recent Reddit Ask Me Anything interview.

One Reddit user asked whether EverQuest Next will support virtual reality alternatives to the Oculus Rift, to which Smedley replied:

"Hearing good things about 2 competitors.. one of which actually comes from Sony. So I'm thinking this is real and we may have our Snowcrash after all."

The phrase 'Snow Crash' is a reference to the acclaimed Neal Stephenson novel, in which the writer outlines a vision of a virtual reality-based internet.

EverQuest Next, which is due for release on both PS4 and PC, is expected to be the first MMORPG to support the Oculus Rift.

The game will release in two parts - the first is a free-to-play MMO, boasting modern graphics and fully destructible environment physics that apply to "every piece of the world", advanced AI and an open-ended storyline.

Its spin-off EverQuest Next Landmark is a free-to-play world building tool which allows gamers to create their own structures which can be incorporated into the full MMO.

Sony Online Entertainment launched the "alpha" version of EverQuest Next Landmark on Friday, January 31.

The PlayStation business has not publicly discussed its virtual reality headset. It was first set to be announced at Gamescom in August, then was pushed back to the Tokyo Game Show in September. It is unclear when the Oculus Rift rival will be officially announced.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
MD

Let's hope they get both the quality, but even more importantly the price (for mass market adoption) right

I'll probably bite if it's a sub $200 VR headset (ideally $150 or below) with light design, rechargeable on a cradle and with a good FOV/ 720p minimum per eye (dual stream 1080p is probably a pipe dream with the $400 hardware in the PS4).

If it's $300+ (let alone $500+), it could still do good business on the high end market, but will probably be unable to touch the mass market, hence fewer games developped, hence slower adoption and possible fail.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #38
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Somebody educate me here. Will this thing allow for complete head tracking in racing and first person shooter games?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #39
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Somebody educate me here. Will this thing allow for complete head tracking in racing and first person shooter games?
Well, nobody could say about the Sony one since we don't even know for sure it's coming out. But OR does a great job of tracking your head movement in the demos I played at Eurogamer last year. You see in whatever direction you turn your head.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #40
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Well, nobody could say about the Sony one since we don't even know for sure it's coming out. But OR does a great job of tracking your head movement in the demos I played at Eurogamer last year. You see in whatever direction you turn your head.
That's what I was wondering. Because otherwise I see no point for this thing. I wouldn't mind using this for first person shooters or racing games.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4