Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Love and Monsters (DVD)
$11.99

Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (DVD)
$13.25
24 min ago
The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection (DVD)
$29.99

SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete Eleventh Season (DVD)
$7.99
10 hrs ago
Monster Hunter (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
Country Music (DVD)
$38.00
18 hrs ago
The Croods: A New Age (DVD)
$17.99

VeggieTales: 25th Anniversary 10-Movie Collection (DVD)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
The Secret Life of Pets 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.: The Complete Series (DVD)
$9.96

Courage The Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series (DVD)
$20.28

Best of Warner Bros. 20 Film Collection Romance (DVD)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 08-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #221
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
It made sense to me what you said. And regarding the end credits being squashed up (and spoken over), Channel Five is one of the worst culprits. At least with BBC One, they have about half of the screen for the end credits, and the rest of the screen for what's coming up next on some of the BBC channels. I watch some shows now on Catch Up On Demand, because usually you don't get the squashed up, spoken over end credits.

I do remember watching repeats of Love Thy Neighbour on (I think) Gold. Unfortunately they didn't finish the complete series rerun because of (I think) complaints (I agree, I don't think any channel would get away with repeating it now). I've also seen Jack Smethhurst on the sitcom Dinnerladies.

Saw bits of The Comedians, but not complete editions. Network released on DVD series of The Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club (not seen any of that series). One of my favourite comedy specials is An Audience with Ken Dodd (Frank Carson provides one of the funniest moments in it).
Nearly all the channels are guilty of squashing credits I'm afraid. I stopped subscribing to Sky Movies a while back (or Sky Cinema as it's now called), but the last time I had it, they were doing the same thing. That really annoyed me because this was after all a subscription service that you were paying for - I wouldn't have complained if it was a free-to-air service.

Shortly after they started doing this, I e-mailed Sky asking them for the reason why (in those days you could still send them an e-mail to query something). The reply I received will stagger you. Believe it or not, they told me that viewers felt it was important to know what was coming up next. I replied back saying something along the lines of....."What?? You already provide a voice-over informing us of what's next, and not only that but there is a simple device on the Sky remote called an EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) which will display a banner informing the viewer at the touch of a button of what's to follow!"

Anyway, now that I've got that off my chest () I used to watch both Gold (I think it was called UK Gold back then) as well as Granada Plus. The Gold channel tended to focus more on BBC's catalogue while Granada showed ITV's archive, but unfortunately Gold nowadays seems to consist of very regular commercial breaks with never-ending trailers of forthcoming shows.

I always thought they got away with showing Love Thy Neighbour due to the fact that the channel was part of Sky's subscription package rather than a free-to-air channel, but I guess there are always people who will complain instead of simply changing over and watching another channel.

I also remember Granada+ having The Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club on their schedules, but I've never actually watched any of these shows.....I'm sure they were good though.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (08-22-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 08:25 PM   #222
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default Upcoming Network titles

A couple of TV on DVD titles have been added to the Coming Soon section on Network's website (titles and release dates are subject to change):

ABC Collection:

The Bruce Forsyth Show (three disc set) - Monday 19th October
Light Entertainment Rarities - Monday 19th October.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:11 PM   #223
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

One of the recent TV drama series Network have done a physical media DVD release of is Suspects. There were (I think) five series in total, airing in the UK on Channel Five. Apparently the dialogue spoken by the actors was improvised. Does anyone here have any of Network's releases?
Old 09-09-2020, 01:01 AM   #224
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Have asked in another sub-forum about an Edward Woodward TV title called The Edward Woodward Hour, whether it was a one-off special or a short series. It's among the extras in a three-disc DVD release called Callan: This Man Alone (a documentary about the series Callan). Thinking of getting this Network release, along with another title which Woodward starred in, The Bass Player and the Blonde (can't find this on Network's website but it's available on Amazon UK).

Enjoying Edward Woodward on The Equalizer (started a re-watch of the series earlier this year).

I didn't see a lot of it's on it's original run, but another series he did (after The Equalizer) was a true crime reconstruction/documentary series called In Suspicious Circumstances. Have checked it's IMDb company credits page and I'm surprised this has yet to get a physical media release as Granada Television is stated as it's production company.

Among his many credits, Woodward also did a short-lived series called Over My Dead Body, which aired in the States on CBS (on it's IMDb company credits page it states Universal Television as it's production company).
Thanks given by:
CV19 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 10:36 PM   #225
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Not sure what to make of Network's replies to my questions about and suggestions for some older TV series. Sounds like a mixture of them no longer having the rights and not having the rights to begin with. Sounded like they no longer have the rights to The Bass Player and the Blonde, and they haven't got the rights to In Suspicious Circumstances (really wish they could get this series).
Old 09-10-2020, 11:03 PM   #226
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
I didn't see a lot of it's on it's original run, but another series he did (after The Equalizer) was a true crime reconstruction/documentary series called In Suspicious Circumstances. Have checked it's IMDb company credits page and I'm surprised this has yet to get a physical media release as Granada Television is stated as it's production company.
I would have thought this would have been perfect for Network, as they seem to grab a lot of the ITV archives. Although IMDb list Granada as its production company, I'm wondering if there was any American involvement in it which could perhaps affect the video rights. I honestly don't know if this is the case with In Suspicious Circumstances.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (09-10-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:59 PM   #227
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Have noticed in Talking Pictures TV's listings this week, that in the early hours of the morning they're showing episodes of Callan before their repeats of Target: The Corrupters (when is that one season-only series going to get a physical media release in the States?). They're the surviving episodes which Network put in their DVD releases of The Monochrome Years and The Colour Years.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:24 AM   #228
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

I mentioned in the BBC's Ghost Stories for Christmas thread last week about the various Armchair series, but couldn't remember how many there were. Have checked Network's website, and there could have been at least three series:

Armchair Theatre
Armchair Cinema
and Armchair Thriller.

Released as 'Exclusives' on Network's website, are four DVD volumes called Armchair Theatre Archive.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:31 AM   #229
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default Upcoming Network titles

A couple of TV on DVD titles have been added to the Coming Soon section on Network's website (titles and release dates are subject to change):

ABC Collection:

Here's David Nixon: The Complete Series - Monday 30th November
Hullabaloo: The Complete Series - Monday 30th November.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:18 PM   #230
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
I could swear I had seen some discussion in this thread about Network's DVD release of Orson Welles Great Mysteries Volume One (released last year). Was much of the series shot on film? In one Amazon customer review on the Amazon UK listing page for this title, it says that Orson Welles' introductions are on film, and the shows are on videotape.

Network release some interesting stuff like this (including The Frighteners and For Maddie with Love). I hope Marked Personal gets released as part of the Forgotten TV Drama line, like with For Maddie with Love.
Added to the Exclusives section on Network's website today, is a second DVD volume of Orson Welles Great Mysteries, containing the remaining thirteen episodes. It's release date (subject to change) is Monday 26th October, 2020.
Thanks given by:
jackranderson (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 12:00 AM   #231
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2019
United Kingdom

Don’t really collect DVDs but I’m really tempted by those Welles sets.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (10-07-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 12:13 AM   #232
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Have double-checked Network's website, and they still have Slinger's Day: The Complete Series on there. Revelation Films released Tripper's Day: The Complete Series, but based on the prices on Amazon UK, it's out-of-print.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:00 PM   #233
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default New Network titles

Some new TV on DVD titles have been added to the Coming Soon section on Network's website, however it appears they're available now, based on there being no release date on each of the four listing pages:

ABC Collection:

ABC Nights In: And by the way...no raspberries
ABC Nights In: Don't go away...
ABC Nights In: Hello my Daleks
ABC Nights In: Your faces are all blurred.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:54 PM   #234
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

There is also a fifth volume of ABC Nights In, and all five DVD volumes can be found on Network's website after you do a website search.

The five volumes:

ABC Collection:

ABC Nights In: And by the way...no raspberries
ABC Nights In: Don't go away...
ABC Nights In: Hello, my Daleks
ABC Nights In: Your faces are all blurred
and ABC Nights In: Get a doctor.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:57 AM   #235
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Network have currently got a January sale on with selected TV titles on their website. Sadly, the titles I'm interested in aren't in the sale.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:07 PM   #236
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

How many series/seasons of drama series Peak Practice did Network release on physical media DVD, before they stopped? There were twelve series/seasons in total.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:43 PM   #237
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Network have currently got a Flash sale on. I say "currently", as they've experienced high demand and are having some technical problems. It started earlier at 6 pm UK time, and was due to end at 10 pm tonight. However, because of the technical problems it will end later on tomorrow. There was a discount code, where you can get 40% off. You won't need the discount code now apparently.
Thanks given by:
CV19 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 10:29 PM   #238
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
Network have currently got a Flash sale on. I say "currently", as they've experienced high demand and are having some technical problems. It started earlier at 6 pm UK time, and was due to end at 10 pm tonight. However, because of the technical problems it will end later on tomorrow. There was a discount code, where you can get 40% off. You won't need the discount code now apparently.
I haven't really been following the Network thread, but I did read some posts randomly and I think someone said that they increased the prices slightly for when the sale was due to begin. A little devious I would say.

Last edited by CV19; 02-25-2021 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Change of wording
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (02-25-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 06:29 AM   #239
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2012

Apparently there was a glitch that removed VAT: I only saw it on one title (The Card), which adjusted when added to the basket but there were no price hikes on the 7 titles I had in my basket.

Musicmagpie, however, do always hike the price of most of their ebay listings when they have a 15/20% off promotion.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:54 PM   #240
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Apparently there was a glitch that removed VAT: I only saw it on one title (The Card), which adjusted when added to the basket but there were no price hikes on the 7 titles I had in my basket.

Musicmagpie, however, do always hike the price of most of their ebay listings when they have a 15/20% off promotion.
I hope you managed to get through to the checkout on their website for those 7 titles. Sounds like it's been a complete nightmare on there, and it appears this isn't the first time this has happened with Network. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your purchases.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (02-26-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies