Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dreams (PS4)
$9.99
1 day ago
Wasteland 3 (PS4)
$19.99
1 day ago
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (PS4)
$14.99
1 day ago
Destroy All Humans! (PS4)
$14.99
1 day ago
SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated (PS4)
$19.99
1 day ago
Train Sim World 2 (PS4)
$19.99
1 day ago
Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$24.99
1 day ago
Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS4)
$34.99
1 day ago
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners (PS4)
$19.99

Iron Man VR (PS4)
$19.99
1 day ago
Injustice 2 (PS4)
$14.99
1 day ago
Wolfenstein: Alt History Collection (PS4)
$32.53
7 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 10-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN
Default System Software Update v8.01

Update 3.0

We’ve been busy preparing our next major system software update for PS4, version 3.00 (codename: Kenshin). The update is packed with content, and we wanted to give you quick glance at its key features.
If you were selected for our beta program, you’ll get to see these features first-hand very soon. Keep in mind, some of this content might not make it into the final version — that’s why we’re having a beta, after all. We’ve added new ways to connect with friends and players around the world, expanding the social capabilities of the system even further.
  • Online storage capacity increase — PS4 online storage capacity has increased from 1GB to 10GB for all PS Plus members. In 3.00 system software, you’ll see that we added a handy usage meter to monitor your available storage capacity, and a new Auto-Upload menu has been added to Application Saved Data Management.
  • YouTube live — PS4 owners will be able to live stream gameplay to YouTube. Live streams will be viewable across YouTube, including on the new YouTube Gaming mobile app and website.
  • Events — A new hub for events has been added, giving an overview of activities taking place in the games you play most, as well as official broadcasts. For instance, you may see an update for a Double XP weekend, a special enemy appearing at a scheduled time, or seasonal events like in-game towns being decorated for the winter. You’ll also receive notifications when the event starts, or if the timing changes.
  • Favorite Groups — Favorite Groups has been added to the Friends app, letting you quickly access groups of people you like to play games with frequently. This will make the process of getting a game session up and running even easier.
  • Communities — PS4 users will have the ability to create communities based around shared interests, like games, genres, and more. Communities include a message board with general discussion, screenshots shared by players, and the ability to join parties / games. If you want to tackle a big multiplayer raid, but don’t have enough friends available, this could be a great way to connect with other players who are looking for the same thing.
  • Sharing video clips to Twitter — Users will have the ability to share video clips directly to Twitter. Maximum video length is 10 seconds, though you’ll have the ability to trim longer clips.
  • Stickers — Tired of typing out messages? With this update, you’ll be able to send stickers to friends through the messages.
  • Now Playing / What’s New — The Now Playing screen will display even more information about what your friends are doing, and you’ll be able to quickly jump into a game, party, request a screen share, or get sent to the PS Store to buy the game your friend is playing – further enhancing the social relationship with your friends online.
  • Live from PlayStation — We’ve improved the Live From PlayStation app, making it easier to view popular trending broadcasts in real-time.
  • Request to watch gameplay — Want to view a friend’s gameplay session? Now you can send a ‘Request to Watch’ notification to a player, which will start a live broadcast or Share Play invitation to the person playing.

There’s more included in this update, but that’s a quick glance at some of the items we’re excited about the most. We’ll be back with more info about Kenshin soon, including the launch timing.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/...-starts-today/

PS4 Update 2.50: codenamed “Yukimura”

While developing PlayStation 4, our hardware and software teams relied on feedback from our great community of developers. The result is the most innovative and forward-thinking gaming console in the market today.

Since launch, PlayStation has continued that trend of listening to feedback by bringing some of the most highly requested features from PlayStation Nation to PS4 with each of our system software updates. When we unveiled PS4 two years ago, we announced Suspend/Resume, a feature that would enable PS4 users to jump in and out of their games faster than ever. This has been a feature gamers have been excited about since then, and today I am honoured to officially confirm that system software update 2.50, codenamed “Yukimura”, will soon deliver Suspend/Resume, as well as a number of other requested features to PS4.

Suspend/Resume will create an atmosphere where your games are immediately available at any time — just pick up your DUALSHOCK 4 controller, hit the PS button and get right back into the action of your games. When it’s time to log off, simply put your PS4 in Rest Mode and when you power up the next time, you’ll start your game where you left off*1. Spend less time getting into your games and more time playing your games.

Check out some of the other highly requested, new features and changes coming soon in “Yukimura”:
  • Sub-account to master account upgrade: Users with a sub-account will now be able to upgrade to a master account directly from their PS4 when they turn 18, removing restrictions for chat, enabling users to fund their own wallet, make purchases and more. Currently, users can upgrade their sub-accounts online.
  • Facebook friend search: Gamers globally have jumped into PS4 as a redefined social gaming experience and connecting with friends over the network is a huge part of what makes the PS4 community so special. PlayStation now lets you go even bigger by connecting with your Facebook friends on PS4 using your linked account. Search for Facebook friends who are PSN members and build on the foundation of Friends you already have in your list.
  • Remote Play & Share Play at 60 fps*2: The ability to customise the frame rate of Remote Play and Share Play will be added with “Yukimura”. Play to your bandwidth strengths and use this option to stream gameplay at 60 or 30 fps when using Remote Play or Share Play.
  • Accessibility Options: “Yukimura” introduces a wide variety of options to make the PS4 entertainment experience even more accessible. Options include text to speech, enlarged text, bolder fonts, higher contrast UI, zoom for displayed pictures, invert colours on screen and more. Users will also be able to reassign buttons for DUALSHOCK 4, making it easier for users with limited manual dexterity or limited reach and strength to play.
  • Trophy Improvements: We have received a tonne of feedback to improve Trophies. In “Yukimura”, a screenshot will automatically be captured at the moment a Trophy is earned, making it easier than ever for you to share your greatest gaming moments with your friends. We’re also adding more sorting options along with the new ability to remove games from the Trophy list that have 0% completion.
  • Share Video Clips to Dailymotion: When sharing standout PS4 moments via the Share button on DualShock 4, “Yukimura” will allow players to upload directly to Dailymotion.

Stay tuned for more information on “Yukimura” and, as always, let us know in the comments how we can continue to improve PS4 to make it the best place to play.

*1 Dependant on software titles
*2 Supported devices need to enjoy Share Play and Remote Play features.

Previous PS4 System Software Updates - Source

[Show spoiler]
Quote:
We wanted to shed some light on system software update version 1.50 for PS4, which will launch simultaneously with the system’s official North American launch on November 15th, 2013. By updating to system software version 1.50, you’ll be able to experience a variety of new features in addition to the basic functions of PS4.

The system software update 1.50 is approximately 300 MB, and will include the following features:

Remote Play
Users will be able to access PS4 titles displayed on their living room TVs and play them on a PS Vita system over Wi-Fi networks by using PS4 Link (Depending on network environment or titles, remote play performance may vary outside of the home). We anticipate that most PS4 titles will be playable on the PS Vita system through Remote Play. The latest PS Vita system software version, to be released soon, will be required to use PS4 Link.

Second Screen
Users can use the PS4 Link application for the PS Vita system, and PlayStation App for iPhone, iPad, and Android-based smartphones and tablets, to use these devices as second screens in supported titles. PlayStation App has the ability to enable users to interact with games with their mobiles devices. For example on The Playroom, a title pre-installed in all PS4 systems that requires PlayStation Camera, users can draw pictures on their mobile device screens and flick them towards the TV. The images then appear as a 3D object within the game.

Record, take screenshots, and upload gameplay effortlessly
The PS4 system provides dedicated, “always on” video encoding systems that enables seamless uploading of gameplay. Users can share their epic triumphs by simply hitting the Share button on DualShock 4, take screenshots or scan through the last 15 minutes of gameplay, tag it and return to the game—the video uploads as the user plays. At the PS4 system’s launch in North America, users will be able to share their images and videos with friends on Facebook and screenshots with followers on Twitter, though users will need to sign up for individual accounts to use Facebook and Twitter.

Broadcast and spectate gameplay
The PS4 system also enhances social spectating by enabling users to broadcast their gameplay in real-time to game fans around the globe, using Ustream and Twitch live internet streaming services (users will need to sign up for individual accounts to use Ustream and Twitch). There are two ways for users to view live broadcasts. First, the Live from PlayStation application on PS4 aggregates streams from all PlayStation users. Second, users can spectate friends’ PS4 gameplay from PCs, and applications such as Ustream, Twitch, and browsers, which are installed on their mobile devices. These applications can be easily started up via PlayStation App, and users can also use these applications to post comments to gameplay broadcasts. Furthermore, users with PlayStation Camera can stream camera images and microphone sounds along with their live gameplay broadcast.

Play as you download
This feature enables users to play supported digital titles as they are being downloaded. The time it takes to begin playing will vary depending on game data size and network environments, and not all titles will support this feature When a game is purchased, users can start playing after PS4 downloads a portion of the data, while the rest of the game is downloaded in the background during actual gameplay. Games may be downloaded in stand-by mode.

Multi log-in
A maximum of four users can log-in to a single PS4 system simultaneously. These players can use their own save data to play games, and also earn trophies on their own Sony Entertainment Network accounts even when playing a multiplayer game together on a single PS4 system.

Party (Voice chat)
By using the Mono Headset bundled with the PS4 system, users will be able to chat with up to eight friends enjoying different applications or games. Furthermore, users can use Party to chat between PS4 and PS Vita systems.

Face recognition and voice commands
Users with PlayStation Camera will be able to register their facial image onto their PS4 system, and login to their system using facial recognition instead of DualShock 4. Furthermore, users can use either the microphone of the Mono Head set connected to DualShock 4, or PlayStation Camera to navigate through the PS4 home screen (PlayStation Dynamic Menu) with voice commands to start up games and shutdown the system, among other features; please refer to PS4’s online manual for recognizable voice commands.

Background music player
Users can enjoy gameplay while listening to music in the background with Music Unlimited, a cloud-based digital music service. Users can also voice chat with friends while listening to music. Learn more about Music Unlimited here.

Online Multiplayer
PlayStation Plus members will be able to play PS4 titles online with other players via the network. PS Plus makes it easy for members to join available online multiplayer matches in a variety of ways, including the ability to easily join a game from a live stream broadcast or Party voice chats.

Blu-ray Disc and DVD player
Users can enjoy not only gaming on their PS4 system, but also Blu-ray and DVD video contents. When using for the first time, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature.

Some features will not be available at launch, such as “suspend/resume mode” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in a low power state and promptly takes users back to their game. We will provide additional information about system software update version 1.50 and features available at the PS4 system’s North America launch, and features that will be available after launch, in the near future.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...-1-50-details/

Last edited by Mavrick; 09-13-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

A few things from this list.

1- is youtube not available for video posting? They only mentioned Facebook and Twitter. I was hoping to be able to upload my videos to youtube.

2- Is music unlimited needed for custom soundtracks? Sounds like it is but I really hope not.

3- Was also hoping headsets would be in this update. Hoping to get the Sony wireless one soon.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Expert Member

Aug 2011

Is the background music option only through Music Unlimited? I am a member, but asking for those that are not...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldwood View Post
Is the background music option only through Music Unlimited? I am a member, but asking for those that are not...

I really hope not. I want to use my music for custom soundtracks. Not a service.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Expert Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
I really hope not. I want to use my music for custom soundtracks. Not a service.
The way it was worded made it sound like it was only through that service. I am betting you can play music of the hard drive at least too. Regardless... one of my most anticipated features.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Mods really should just change the title, sticky it and make it the official firmware update thread
Old 10-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Power Member

Oct 2009
Mobile, AL

Only 300mb? That's actually smaller than I expected!

Weird that no suspend/resume at launch though. I thought that function was kinda' inherent to the architecture they're using. Hopefully they'll get that added in quickly, 'cause I wanted to see how that was going to work on PS4.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendSlim View Post
Only 300mb? That's actually smaller than I expected!

Weird that no suspend/resume at launch though. I thought that function was kinda' inherent to the architecture they're using. Hopefully they'll get that added in quickly, 'cause I wanted to see how that was going to work on PS4.
maybe bc its already in the software at launch?
Old 10-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

300mb isn't too bad. Shouldn't take too long to download, could have been much bigger.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

I like that you can use voice commands with just the mic too
Old 10-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I like that you can use voice commands with just the mic too
You can. The camera isn't needed. Just the mic which Sony supplies or your own.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Quote:
A few things from this list.

1- is youtube not available for video posting? They only mentioned Facebook and Twitter. I was hoping to be able to upload my videos to youtube.

2- Is music unlimited needed for custom soundtracks? Sounds like it is but I really hope not.

3- Was also hoping headsets would be in this update. Hoping to get the Sony wireless one soon.
I kinda hate how Sony is forcing Music Unlimited on people to get their in game tunes. I suggest nobody buy into it. They'll patch real custom music into the PS4 in time. If not thats a crappy move on Sony's part. Gran Turismo 5 and Im sure other PS3 games allowed custom soundtracks, no way the PS4 isnt capable of that for every game especially with 2GBs of ram set aside for non gaming tasks

And you can only upload to facebook or twitter? Guh. I dont have an account to either of those and wont get one either. Just like music unlimited, its a ploy to get you to sign up for something you really dont need nor is ideal for uploading videos. I'll wait until they allow youtube upload and in the meantime maybe I can save the videos to the HDD.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Wrestling in Ireland. PSNetwork: Nerdkiller316PSN Nerds beaten up: Loads

Quote:
Actually, now that I think about it, what's the point of custom soundtracks on PS4 if the console itself doesn't support CD play in which you can't rip the tracks?
Old 10-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
Power Member

Oct 2009
Mobile, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdkiller likes BD View Post
Actually, now that I think about it, what's the point of custom soundtracks on PS4 if the console itself doesn't support CD play in which you can't rip the tracks?
I imagine you can still copy your music via flash drive or stream music from your network.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
A lot of people have music in MP3 format. I would bet that most people who do have physical CD's also have them ripped to there computer and in MP3 already.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Quote:
You do realize CD isnt the only way to get music onto a console? Its 2013. Most people have a digital library which can be downloaded and managed easily with a flash drive, external HDD, phone, etc...
Old 10-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendSlim View Post
I imagine you can still copy your music via flash drive or stream music from your network.
I imagine so as well.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
And you can only upload to facebook or twitter? Guh. I dont have an account to either of those and wont get one either. Just like music unlimited, its a ploy to get you to sign up for something you really dont need nor is ideal for uploading videos. I'll wait until they allow youtube upload and in the meantime maybe I can save the videos to the HDD.
Both Twitter and Facebook have reciprocal marketing agreements with other companies, enabling them to share every single bit of marketing information they have on a person with Sony. That is why Sony would try to push those services.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

You have to DL the FW in order to start using the BD/DVD functions? What kind of backwards Microsoft-esque BS is that? I'm sorry, but this whole thing is terrible. The majority of things listed should have been there as soon as the system is on, you shouldn't have to DL a 300MB update for them..Sony should be getting major shit for this, but alas there in lies the double-standard.

Last edited by MifuneFan; 10-25-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Lack of suspend/resume and more screenshot/video uploading options at launch are disappointing, I expect the option to just copy to USB storage or use the web browser.

I'd never play my own music over a game so I'm not too fussed about it but if they were smart, the music unlimited app would be like iTunes, used to stream/download music from their service AND as an interface to play your own locally stored music bought anywhere. It makes it more tempting to try/buy from the MU service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
You have to DL the FW in order to start using the BD/DVD functions? What kind of backwards Microsoft-esque BS is that? I'm sorry, but this whole thing is terrible. The majority of things listed should have been there as soon as the system is on, you shouldn't have to DL a 300MB update for them..Sony should be getting major shit for this, but alas there is the double-standard.
PS4's started manufacturing months ago. The minimum System Software required to play a game should come on the same Blu-ray and ideally as many other complete features would be included in that.

Last edited by Shin-Ra; 10-25-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4