Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Shenmue III (PS4)
$9.99
1 day ago
NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$69.70

Wolfenstein: Alt History Collection (PS4)
$36.04
4 hrs ago
XIII (PS4)
$24.00

Street Fighter V (PS4)
$20.99
1 day ago
NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$29.97

Who Wants to Be A Millionare (PS4)
$19.99

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (PS4)
$19.93

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV (PS4)
$39.99

NHL 21 Ultimate Edition (PS4)
$42.97

The Last of Us Part II (PS4)
$29.83

DiRT 5 (PS4)
$34.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 10-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Montreal

Very disappointing about the lack of resume / suspend not being there day one. At least remote play is there but ya ,very disappointing.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #22
Power Member

Nov 2007
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
You have to DL the FW in order to start using the BD/DVD functions? What kind of backwards Microsoft-esque BS is that? I'm sorry, but this whole thing is terrible. The majority of things listed should have been there as soon as the system is on, you shouldn't have to DL a 300MB update for them..Sony should be getting major shit for this, but alas there in lies the double-standard.
Its been suggested on other sites that the whole DVD/Blu-ray playback requiring 1 time internet access is to set the region playback. The consoles itself and most/all games are region free, but movie playback is not. Therefor, you have to set up the region you are in before you can watch movies.

As far as music playback goes, if MU is the only way to get custom sound tracks, im going to be fkn pissed as hell. That is an expensive ass service and doesn't work if you have no internet, at least the way its worded. IF its just an interface like iTunes or WMP to access local music, then that's fine. But I am totally going to flip my crap if I need to subscribe to listen to my own music while playing games. I don't do it too often, but I always do it during racing games and some online MP stuff.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #23
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

The PS3 didn't require an update to use the BD/DVD player. This is pretty lame, and I don't really see how anyone can defend this patch. It comes off like a rush-job to me, which seems even more evident to me by the fact that they won't even have the resume/suspend feature included at launch. Sounds like they advertised more than they can deliver. Very poor showing.

I'd even argue that this constitutes false advertising. If they advertise these features on the box without mentioning an Internet connection and/or update is required to use them, then that's a false claim and they can be taken to court for that.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
A few things from this list.

1- is youtube not available for video posting? They only mentioned Facebook and Twitter. I was hoping to be able to upload my videos to youtube.
[Show spoiler]
2- Is music unlimited needed for custom soundtracks? Sounds like it is but I really hope not.

3- Was also hoping headsets would be in this update. Hoping to get the Sony wireless one soon.
Unless I am missing something, you cannot upload a video directly to twitter, you can only post the link to the video. So you would think that it would be youtube, unless sony has it's own video hosting site/servers?

So I believe you will definitely be able to upload to a video hosting site and that the only reason Twitter and FB are the only ones mentioned is the focus on social apps, whereas youtube is not considered to be one.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #25
Power Member

Oct 2009
Mobile, AL

Quote:
The PS3 didn't require an update to use the BD/DVD player. This is pretty lame, and I don't really see how anyone can defend this patch. It comes off like a rush-job to me, which seems even more evident to me by the fact that they won't even have the resume/suspend feature included at launch. Sounds like they advertised more than they can deliver. Very poor showing.

I'd even argue that this constitutes false advertising. If they advertise these features on the box without mentioning an Internet connection and/or update is required to use them, then that's a false claim and they can be taken to court for that.
And yet, I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by this. It's like when people were blasting Microsoft over their day-one patch... Of course there's one. They work on this stuff right up until launch, so the systems have to be in the boxes and ready to go well in advance of that. Post-launch systems will be updated before shipping, but... if you didn't think launch systems were going to have to be patched immediately, you didn't pay attention to the WiiU launch.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010

I just hope they fixed or did something to make updates a lot quicker. One of my main gripes was how long it took to update things compared to the 360.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #27
Power Member

Nov 2007
Chicago, IL

Quote:

You technically don't need the internet for anything except BD/DVD. Another point I forgot to mention from my previous post is the reason the 1 time internet access is for cheaper licensing. Instead of paying a license for every ps4 to be a dvd/bd player, Sony will only have to pay for people that activate their license. It make sense. At also will not require internet access as all games ship with their required firmware on the disk. Im not too sure if 1.5 will make it on launch day disks, but it will be on future ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendSlim View Post
And yet, I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by this. It's like when people were blasting Microsoft over their day-one patch... Of course there's one. They work on this stuff right up until launch, so the systems have to be in the boxes and ready to go well in advance of that. Post-launch systems will be updated before shipping, but... if you didn't think launch systems were going to have to be patched immediately, you didn't pay attention to the WiiU launch.
The big difference is though that you don't have to have this firmware to play games on ps4. The day 1 xbox patch is required to do anything on the machine. But yeah, I don't know why people are freaking out so much about a day 1 firmware download. These things have probably been in boxes for months, like you said. Hell how many ps3s or 360s are sitting on shelves with outdated firmware? Is that some grave injustice as well? (general comment, not directed at you)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Funny I was just reading something yesterday that said Nintendo pulled this stunt with the WiiU and failed horribly as their servers were not able to handle the traffic and that it took several hours for a lot of users to complete the day 1 patch.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #29
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Well, I for one am just as pissed about Sony pulling this BS as I am about Microsoft doing so.

I knew there would be a day one patch but launching Blu-Ray/DVD behind the internet download is garbage.

Yes, yes, you can still play games but I do not care.

Sony can't even pretend that the months it has been in production matter, because Blu-Ray/DVD are about the oldest things in there.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #30
Power Member

Oct 2009
Mobile, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmonkey View Post
The big difference is though that you don't have to have this firmware to play games on ps4. The day 1 xbox patch is required to do anything on the machine. But yeah, I don't know why people are freaking out so much about a day 1 firmware download. These things have probably been in boxes for months, like you said. Hell how many ps3s or 360s are sitting on shelves with outdated firmware? Is that some grave injustice as well? (general comment, not directed at you)
Yeah, I wasn't trying to make this a console war thing... Just saying that people should hardly be shocked anymore by the day one update, even for a system. I imagine any game you put in it after that update is going to want to update too. It's a console launch. Anyone not expecting that at this point is crazy!

In the future, it won't matter. Like you're saying about current-gen systems sitting on the shelves, they had tended to put firmware releases on the game discs in the past so that non-connected systems could get updated (at least on the 360... I'm not sure about PS3). I would think they would just slap future updates onto new releases in much the same way. They just obviously can't do that at launch.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Quote:
if you didn't think launch systems were going to have to be patched immediately, you didn't pay attention to the WiiU launch.
well you cant blame most people for that.

Quote:
You technically don't need the internet for anything except BD/DVD. Another point I forgot to mention from my previous post is the reason the 1 time internet access is for cheaper licensing. Instead of paying a license for every ps4 to be a dvd/bd player, Sony will only have to pay for people that activate their license. It make sense. At also will not require internet access as all games ship with their required firmware on the disk. Im not too sure if 1.5 will make it on launch day disks, but it will be on future ones.
how much money would they even be saving when the vast majority of people will go online at least once at some point while owning the console. It seems like any cost saved on licensing would be rather insignificant

Last edited by Havok83; 10-25-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #32
Power Member

Nov 2007
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
well you cant blame most people for that.

how much money would they even be saving when the vast majority of people will go online at least once at some point while owning the console. It seems like any cost saved on licensing would be rather insignificant
Its not, in theory anyway, connecting just for connecting. From the way it reads and what I can guess, it seems that the first time you want to play a dvd/bd, you have to connect to the internet to establish your region. Sony wont be paying a license for every ps4 on the internet, just for the ones that activate media playback. At least this is what it sounds like. I have no idea if this is actually true, but it makes sense to me.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #33
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Quote:
Its not, in theory anyway, connecting just for connecting. From the way it reads and what I can guess, it seems that the first time you want to play a dvd/bd, you have to connect to the internet to establish your region. Sony wont be paying a license for every ps4 on the internet, just for the ones that activate media playback. At least this is what it sounds like. I have no idea if this is actually true, but it makes sense to me.
Its a firmware update. You need to accept it in order to go online. You don't pick and choose certain features you want (in this case media playback). Its all or nothing. With that in mind, every console that goes online will be covered under this license. I don't see how money is saved here. Id imagine very few consoles will never connect to the internet or play at least 1 DVD/BR at least once during an owner's duration with it for however many years that is

Last edited by Havok83; 10-25-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #34
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Wrestling in Ireland. PSNetwork: Nerdkiller316PSN Nerds beaten up: Loads

Quote:
I imagine you can still copy your music via flash drive or stream music from your network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
A lot of people have music in MP3 format. I would bet that most people who do have physical CD's also have them ripped to there computer and in MP3 already.
Quote:
You do realize CD isnt the only way to get music onto a console? Its 2013. Most people have a digital library which can be downloaded and managed easily with a flash drive, external HDD, phone, etc...
I know, but it is the easiest way to do so.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #35
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdkiller likes BD View Post
I know, but it is the easiest way to do so.
If you know then why did you suggest that there was no point to custom soundtracks without CD playback? Besides how is CD ripping easier than copying and pasting ones already existing digital library from a flashdrive to the HDD? Depending on the size of the external storage, that doesn't require having to switch out a disc per album. Its faster and more efficient than CD ripping.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't trying to make this a console war thing... Just saying that people should hardly be shocked anymore by the day one update, even for a system. I imagine any game you put in it after that update is going to want to update too. It's a console launch. Anyone not expecting that at this point is crazy!

In the future, it won't matter. Like you're saying about current-gen systems sitting on the shelves, they had tended to put firmware releases on the game discs in the past so that non-connected systems could get updated (at least on the 360... I'm not sure about PS3). I would think they would just slap future updates onto new releases in much the same way. They just obviously can't do that at launch.
Heh, yeah, this shouldn't be shocking - though I'm sure we'll compare this patch to MS's. Because you know.... size matters.

The bomb I'm waiting to drop is MS's US cable box compatibility list. You think this is crazy, just wait until MS tells everyone that everthing works for Comcast, AT&T, and TW, but if your Cox, DirectTV, Verizon or another you are out of luck. Just wait - it's coming.

I'll be honest, I didn't think 300MB sounded bad.

Quote:
Quote:
Its a firmware update. You need to accept it in order to go online. You don't pick and choose certain features you want (in this case media playback). Its all or nothing. With that in mind, every console that goes online will be covered under this license. I don't see how money is saved here. Id imagine very few consoles will never connect to the internet or play at least 1 DVD/BR at least once during an owner's duration with it for however many years that is
See, if you look at how it's worded, it sounds like they blended two things in the post:
1 - The actual Firmware update
2 - An initial internet check-in to enable Bluray/DVD

I think we need better clarification because it sounded like you could download the firmware update but not trigger the BR/DVD update or vice versa. If that's the case hellmonky's comment makes a lot of sense. It's a philosophical thing by Sony, not a "late in the game, needs a day 1 patch" thing.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Kid View Post

See, if you look at how it's worded, it sounds like they blended two things in the post:
1 - The actual Firmware update
2 - An initial internet check-in to enable Bluray/DVD

I think we need better clarification because it sounded like you could download the firmware update but not trigger the BR/DVD update or vice versa. If that's the case hellmonky's comment makes a lot of sense. It's a philosophical thing by Sony, not a "late in the game, needs a day 1 patch" thing.
but again do you believe that most people that own a PS4 will never play a DVD/BR at least once during the time they own it? Id venture to say that number is very low. The only consoles that can be guaranteed to not have this activated are the ones that sit on shelves.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #38
Power Member

Oct 2009
Mobile, AL

Quote:
Heh, yeah, this shouldn't be shocking - though I'm sure we'll compare this patch to MS's. Because you know.... size matters.
Oh lord... If people actually argue over the sizes of the respective day one patches, I am quitting teh internets!

Quote:
The bomb I'm waiting to drop is MS's US cable box compatibility list. You think this is crazy, just wait until MS tells everyone that everthing works for Comcast, AT&T, and TW, but if your Cox, DirectTV, Verizon or another you are out of luck. Just wait - it's coming.
I don't see that happening. The IR codes are public knowledge, easily obtained, and the only other thing they would have to know at that point is channel assignments and show info. They've been providing that through Media Center for years anyway, so no big hurdle there. I'm more curious to see what they do as far as IPTV in the future or USB add-ons for people who use OTA antennas... but we should really take that discussion to the appropriate forum.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
AB, Canada PSNetwork: Rike255

Not a bad size, was expecting an update I just hope the rush of people updating doesn't cause problems...
Old 10-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #40
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psybits View Post
Funny I was just reading something yesterday that said Nintendo pulled this stunt with the WiiU and failed horribly as their servers were not able to handle the traffic and that it took several hours for a lot of users to complete the day 1 patch.
A 300mb patch is a lot less than a 1gb+ patch that the Wii U had. Plus both Sony and MS have much better infrastructure in place to deal with the requests. It shouldn't take that long to download 300mb.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4