Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dreams (PS4)
$9.99
1 day ago
Wasteland 3 (PS4)
$19.99
1 day ago
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (PS4)
$14.99
1 day ago
SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated (PS4)
$19.99
1 day ago
Destroy All Humans! (PS4)
$14.99
1 day ago
Train Sim World 2 (PS4)
$19.99
1 day ago
Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS4)
$34.99
1 day ago
Watch Dogs: Legion (PS4)
$24.99
1 day ago
Iron Man VR (PS4)
$19.99
1 day ago
Injustice 2 (PS4)
$14.99
1 day ago
Wolfenstein: Alt History Collection (PS4)
$32.53
6 hrs ago
NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$69.70

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 10-26-2013, 03:01 AM   #41
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

So really, you will be able to play a full PS4 game (not a PSP/Vita game) on your Vita via Wi-Fi.? I have a PSP Go, but did not get much out of it. But if I can really play the console games on the handheld, while something else is on the big screen, I could find myself using that. I never gave much though to Vita, just thinking of it as another handheld, that I won't use, because I really only play games at home.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:07 AM   #42
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

I'm not surprised that there is a day one update, but it's just weird that it's needed for Blu-Ray and DVD playback. But whatever.

I really hope the ability to play PS4 game on the Vita works well and that a lot of game support it. I plan to get one sometime next year. But doesn't the vita only have 2 shoulder buttons as opposed to the PS4 controller's 4? That could be an issue.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:15 AM   #43
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
I'm not surprised that there is a day one update, but it's just weird that it's needed for Blu-Ray and DVD playback. But whatever.

I really hope the ability to play PS4 game on the Vita works well and that a lot of game support it. I plan to get one sometime next year. But doesn't the vita only have 2 shoulder buttons as opposed to the PS4 controller's 4? That could be an issue.
All games except those requiring the camera are supposed to support remote play. As for the triggers L2 and R2 can easily be mapped to the top left and right of the front touchscreen or the top left and right of the rear touch pad.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
KY

Quick question about the firmware update, do I need a new flashdrive or can I use the one I already have?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #45

Dec 2011

So just like the Xbox ,the PS4 will need to be connected to the internet as soon as it comes out of the box.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #46
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Blu View Post
Quick question about the firmware update, do I need a new flashdrive or can I use the one I already have?
All USB 2.0 devices work fine with USB 3.0 ports.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #47
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos35 View Post
So just like the Xbox ,the PS4 will need to be connected to the internet as soon as it comes out of the box.
The difference is the PS4 will not be completely unusable out of the box without the firmware update.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:38 AM   #48
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
A few things from this list.

1- is youtube not available for video posting? They only mentioned Facebook and Twitter. I was hoping to be able to upload my videos to youtube.

2- Is music unlimited needed for custom soundtracks? Sounds like it is but I really hope not.

3- Was also hoping headsets would be in this update. Hoping to get the Sony wireless one soon.
I'm 90% sure they said that youtube support would be added in later.

EDIT: Actually they never really clarified when confronted about the issue.

No matter I'll be hooking it up to my Elgato Gamecapture HD same as I do now with my PS3 and 360. (via HDMI for both of those) Required a little bit of a workaround but it works.

Last edited by madlost1; 10-26-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #49
Power Member

Oct 2009
Mobile, AL

Quote:
I'm disappointed that it took you until the third page to chime in with that. You're really going to have to be faster with your trolling, sir.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas. Muggy & Hot 24/7/365

I am sorry to those that don't have an internet connection, but for the rest of the world, this is a non-issue
Old 10-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #51
Expert Member

Aug 2011

Can someone tell me why this matters? I do not see the issue. With patches come improvements and/or new features. Bring them on! I guess I do not feel that inconvenienced having to wait ten minutes before playing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
VA

I was hoping, but not expecting, a patch-less day one. Ah well.

I heard that some discs may have the patch preloaded, just like on Vita or PS3. Weird about the blu-ray thing, though.

Last edited by ariakon; 10-26-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #53
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

I found
Quote:
Blu-ray Disc and DVD player
Users can enjoy not only gaming on their PS4 system, but also Blu-ray and DVD video contents. When using for the first time, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature.
a bit odd, so I am wondering if it is really no BD/DVD or just some added features (i.e. for example upscaling them to 4k)
and so it might be the same for the rest of the list (i.e. the list has the majore headings and so it does not change as much as it appears -and let's face it, something like on-line might just be like today where you can't log in without the newest update.)

Personally none of the things on the list are all that important for me on day one. So, if I can, I will try out my games and when I stop I will run it. Nothing this article (unlike the xbone) say that it is required to play.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #54

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
Nothing this article (unlike the xbone) say that it is required to play.
Maybe its because they don't want you to know ?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #55
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
VA

Quote:
Oh man, you got us there. Because of this single post, I have sworn off Sony products forever, and, in fact, have retroactively come to hate all the games I used to like. God of War? Cheap Ryse knock-off. Uncharted? Bleggh. Last of Us? Yecck. Xbox 4-eva, am I right?

Or maybe the system does play games out of the box, just not blu-ray or DVD movies. Either or.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #56
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
maybe, and that is why I said

Quote:
, if I can, I will try out my games and when I stop I will run it
Maybe some games will need it or maybe all games will need it. But if it is not I will play play my games the first second I can and before the update. That is different from MS update that is bigger and definitely required.

As for them trying to hide stuff. I have not seen anything shady in any PS4 announcements so far where they tried to hide something. And I can't say the same for MS (just the other day I saw someone that thought that he won't need his cable box anymore because MS forgot in their presentation to point out that the xbone was only used as a really bad remote where someone needs to flap his arms and shout in order to change what he is watching and it did not actually tune into the channels the guy was watching)
Old 10-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #57
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

I'm pretty sure the PS4 can play games out of the box. This has been something Sony has been very strong about. You only connect to the internet to enable BD/DVD movies.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #58
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

OK, can someone explain to me why this is a big deal? My only experience with Sony has been with my BD player and I had a update right out of the box. So I'm a little confused? As far as domingo? Just ignore him. He'll finally piss off the wrong person and get kicked off the playground soon enough.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #59
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
OK, can someone explain to me why this is a big deal? My only experience with Sony has been with my BD player and I had a update right out of the box. So I'm a little confused? As far as domingo? Just ignore him. He'll finally piss off the wrong person and get kicked off the playground soon enough.
I don't think it is for me (kind of the point I made earlier, it is the first day, I won't have people over needing to play with me, party chat, who cares....).

But I think people get overly excited with a new toy (let's face it, that is why we pre-ordered our machines) so bringing it home and finding out you can't play and it will take 1/2h to DL and install the update or 1h because of traffic or even worst the servers crash and the update can't happen for a bit can become annoying real fast when you are excited and waiting to play that new game on your new machine. That is why an update is a bit of a big deal.

You have some guys here that took the day off so they can be there when the package arrives, so every thing that will slow that down has it's own importance
Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #60
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S View Post
I am sorry to those that don't have an internet connection, but for the rest of the world, this is a non-issue
Yes. Even those of us who have internet issue realize that home electronics in 2013, even some refrigerators, need an internet connection and anticipate a lack of optimal performance. And so what if your console needs a patch out of the box. Even if it not, your new game most certainly does, so you have to wait anyway.

No one ever pisses and moans to this extent that their PCs, BD players, smartphones, televisions, AV receivers, remote controls, and oodles of other items need software updates and require potentially lengthy set up procedures out of the box. It is the norm.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4