Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60
 
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
17 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
Jiang Ziya (Blu-ray)
$14.96
2 hrs ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
22 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
 
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 06-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
Grim Reaper Grim Reaper is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Grim Reaper's Avatar
 
Jun 2006
Let Me In!
393
1838
12
Default curved vs flat

im thinking about upgrading my current tv. its about 4 years old. im just wondering. which one is better? or should i just go all the way & get a 4k set?

my current tv.

Samsung UN46D6400UFXZA
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...UN46D6400UFXZA
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Dreamliner330 Dreamliner330 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Dreamliner330's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
1
395
1025
4
376
Default

Depends on price. I might hold out for 4K prices to drop a bit.

I have a 136" screen, it's flat and beautiful.

My next upgrade will be for a better technology...4K.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
frogmort frogmort is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
frogmort's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Frogmorton
47
256
27
Default

Curved screens are all the new rage.

Curved screens are highly over-rated.

I have a question for you, "why?!"


Last edited by frogmort; 06-02-2014 at 08:12 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
Grim Reaper Grim Reaper is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Grim Reaper's Avatar
 
Jun 2006
Let Me In!
393
1838
12
Default

Why?
Because I want a new TV. And, i see alot of people, e on here with a much larger tv than me.

Another question I have.

Should I just buy a bigger tv? Best Buy has a 60" onsale for $1799.99.

Samsung - 60" Class (60" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - 240Hz - Smart - 3D - HDTV
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=4324008
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Villiam Hayes Villiam Hayes is offline
Banned
 
Dec 2011
Norn Iron
15
437
5
20
Default

I always try and find reviews on any set I wish to buy,that or try and go and see it instore.

TV's are not equal,yes you may get a larger screen for your money with one brand but the P/Q may not be as good as on another,just a couple of things you need to consider.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Moefiz Moefiz is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Moefiz's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
288
20
15
70
Default

Grim, I'm in the same boat has you..looking for a new TV...I have seen a few curve tv's and just don't like the look..for me personally its more of a gimmick than anything else..right now I am leaning towards this Samsung 4k...reviews looks positive on this and the picture is amazing.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...204K&cp=1&lp=3

Last edited by Moefiz; 06-03-2014 at 03:09 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #7
Grim Reaper Grim Reaper is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Grim Reaper's Avatar
 
Jun 2006
Let Me In!
393
1838
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefiz View Post
Grim, I'm in the same boat has you..looking for a new TV...I have seen a few curve tv's and just don't like the look..for me personally its more of a gimmick than anything else..right now I am leaning towards this Samsung 4k...reviews looks positive on this and the picture is amazing.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...204K&cp=1&lp=3
im not interested in 4k anymore.

1. new receiver
2. new hdmi cables
3. new blu-ray player

would the 1080p look better on a 4k?

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 06-03-2014 at 07:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
71
2602
2130
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
would the 1080p look better on a 4k?
It's probably worth seeing in person to make your own judgment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
Grim Reaper Grim Reaper is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Grim Reaper's Avatar
 
Jun 2006
Let Me In!
393
1838
12
Default

i saw 2 4k sets at best buy yesterday. the pq looked great. best buy has an lg 4k set for $1500. not sure if i should just spend the extra for hundred & get a samsung set. thats if i goto 4k. but, if i did. it would take a while to get all the other stuff (receiver/cables & blu-ray player).

sony set with built in speakers and a samsung curved set.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
Nick The Slick Nick The Slick is offline
Expert Member
 
Nick The Slick's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Kentucky
27
111
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
i saw 2 4k sets at best buy yesterday. the pq looked great. best buy has an lg 4k set for $1500. not sure if i should just spend the extra for hundred & get a samsung set. thats if i goto 4k. but, if i did. it would take a while to get all the other stuff (receiver/cables & blu-ray player).

sony set with built in speakers and a samsung curved set.
There's no 4k content available, so it will be a while before you would have to anyways.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
Grim Reaper Grim Reaper is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Grim Reaper's Avatar
 
Jun 2006
Let Me In!
393
1838
12
Default

there is a few movies though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #12
Nick The Slick Nick The Slick is offline
Expert Member
 
Nick The Slick's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Kentucky
27
111
2
Default

A few equates to none in my book. The only true 4K content I know of is on that Sony HDD thing (which, IIRC, only works with Sony 4K TV/Projectors - may be wrong on that). I don't even use Netflix (save for the rare occasion a friend comes over with a login), but I'm sure its 4K is/will be more of a joke than it's 1080 content. Haven't heard about anything else though.

Last edited by Nick The Slick; 06-03-2014 at 11:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
tilallr1 tilallr1 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
tilallr1's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Great White North
405
18
1818
1800
51
11
32
231
Default

Unless you are going with a huge screen over 100" I don't see the appeal for curved screens. The reason why cinema's have curved screens is because
when you project an image onto a completely flat screen from a single fixed point (i.e. the projector room), the light has to travel farther from the projector lens to reach the edges of the screen than it does to the center. This causes the image to bulge along the sides, and pull in along the top and bottom. It's known as the pincushion effect, and it makes for a murky viewing experience. But by incorporating a horizontal curve to the screen—thereby pushing the edges of the screen closer to the projector—theater operators can negate the distortion and create an image that's perceived as flat by the audience.



This is all a moot point with Televisions, which have no such issues. But there are other advantages to curved screens for TV's. If you plan to have a sweet spot seated position and you typically watch alone or with one other, then this type of screen can enhance the sweet spot viewing position. Another, more noticeable advantage to a curved television screen is its ability to cut down on ambient light reflections. But I would say those are its only advantages. If you have no ambient light reflection problems or plan to have 6 people watch your screen this could be a waste of money for you and actually make the experience less enjoyable for your guests.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
tilallr1 tilallr1 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
tilallr1's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Great White North
405
18
1818
1800
51
11
32
231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Slick View Post
There's no 4k content available, so it will be a while before you would have to anyways.
They were announced to possibly be coming out by the end of this year. My guess is the end of next year however. So that really isn't too long a wait at all. If you have the disposable income, why the hell not. Unfortunately for the rest of us, we will probably wait till the technology is affordable and/or cheap. The new 4K Blu-ray discs will likely have four layers but Samsung is ready to make available Blu-ray players that can play them this year.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12948

Last edited by tilallr1; 06-04-2014 at 01:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
Grand Bob Grand Bob is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Grand Bob's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Seattle Area
9
1
Default

I find it somewhat humorous that the industry spent about 70 years getting from curved (CRT's) to flat, and now some companies are making curved TV's again. My last CRT TV in the 90's was a Panasonic "Superflat" model - finally an (almost) flat screen! An LG rep said that curved TV's offer a "more immersive experience". That might be true for a big screen over 100", but unless you sit 3 feet away from a 55" or even 65", I can't see how it would do anything other than annoy people who are trying to watch it off-axis. If you are looking for big, the Sharp 90" is now available for around 6 grand (my nephew has one and it looks great) and both Vizio and Sharp have 80" models in the $3K range. As far as large-size 4K resolution TV's go, there has been a massive price drop in the past month on the 84" LG 9600 model to sub-$7K prices (Sony is going to have a tough time selling their model if they keep it around $25K). But it is obvious that the trend of bigger and better TV's at lower prices continues. I am waiting to see what happens with OLED, which has superior PQ, but only LG is making them and they are having difficulty with panel yields. Rumor has it that they are going to release a 77" OLED model later this year, but if they can't get the prices to be competitive with LED/LCD, they will most likely go the way of plasma.

Anyway, you have lots of choices!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #16
Grim Reaper Grim Reaper is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Grim Reaper's Avatar
 
Jun 2006
Let Me In!
393
1838
12
Default

this is the one i just ordered from best buy.


http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-49-cl...20tv&cp=1&lp=4
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #17
supersix4 supersix4 is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
supersix4's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
572
53
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilallr1 View Post
Unless you are going with a huge screen over 100" I don't see the appeal for curved screens. The reason why cinema's have curved screens is because
when you project an image onto a completely flat screen from a single fixed point (i.e. the projector room), the light has to travel farther from the projector lens to reach the edges of the screen than it does to the center. This causes the image to bulge along the sides, and pull in along the top and bottom. It's known as the pincushion effect, and it makes for a murky viewing experience. But by incorporating a horizontal curve to the screen—thereby pushing the edges of the screen closer to the projector—theater operators can negate the distortion and create an image that's perceived as flat by the audience.



This is all a moot point with Televisions, which have no such issues. But there are other advantages to curved screens for TV's. If you plan to have a sweet spot seated position and you typically watch alone or with one other, then this type of screen can enhance the sweet spot viewing position. Another, more noticeable advantage to a curved television screen is its ability to cut down on ambient light reflections. But I would say those are its only advantages. If you have no ambient light reflection problems or plan to have 6 people watch your screen this could be a waste of money for you and actually make the experience less enjoyable for your guests.

But if you're laying/ sitting at an angle most of the time what would you think? Not really worth it... I kinda noticed it too much trying to look at it from an angle. I'd buy the samsung 65'' [I sit 6-8ft away depending on position] but I'm not sure about the curve.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #18
Grand Bob Grand Bob is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Grand Bob's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Seattle Area
9
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
this is the one i just ordered from best buy.


http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-49-cl...20tv&cp=1&lp=4
I saw that model last week and am considering getting it for our bedroom. Good choice.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Grim Reaper (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #19
Grim Reaper Grim Reaper is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Grim Reaper's Avatar
 
Jun 2006
Let Me In!
393
1838
12
Default

i should have it tomorrow mourning.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #20
LogMeIn LogMeIn is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2014
Default

I tried a curved OLED and the curve is something you get used to, but still annoyed me some.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43 AM.