Best PS4 Game Deals


Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Shenmue III (PS4)
$9.99
1 day ago
NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$69.70
 
Wolfenstein: Alt History Collection (PS4)
$36.04
4 hrs ago
XIII (PS4)
$24.00
 
Street Fighter V (PS4)
$20.99
1 day ago
NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$29.97
 
Who Wants to Be A Millionare (PS4)
$19.99
 
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (PS4)
$19.93
 
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV (PS4)
$39.99
 
NHL 21 Ultimate Edition (PS4)
$42.97
 
Streets Of Rage 4 (PS4)
$29.60
 
The Last of Us Part II (PS4)
$29.83
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Mavrick Mavrick is offline
Gaming Moderator
 
Mavrick's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Wales
121
62
813
1
5
1
Default PlayStation Network Outage Thread - Status Checker In OP

Is PSN down? Why not check here and find out if there are any reported issues:



https://support.us.playstation.com/a...atus%3A-online

http://downdetector.com/status/playstation-network



PSN is down, apparently after being DDoSed.

A group called @LizardSquad is claiming responsibility for the action.

Shacknews is reporting that Battle.net, League of Legends and Grinding Gears’ Path of Exile have also been attacked, although Hearthstone appears to be fully playable at the moment.

The situation is ongoing, as the various staffs work hard to get the servers active again.

Last edited by Mavrick; 03-18-2015 at 11:56 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Omegaice (08-24-2014), onyxbfly (08-24-2014), Steedeel (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Tekka Tekka is offline
Senior Member
 
Tekka's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
300
11
Default

I never would have guessed that would happen to the psn. Not after that last breach issue they had. I'd have thought they'd have made things robust enough to resist a ddos attack.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
JeffTheMovieGuy JeffTheMovieGuy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
JeffTheMovieGuy's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
14
331
Default

Well get ready for a few free games ladies and gentlemen
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Mavrick Mavrick is offline
Gaming Moderator
 
Mavrick's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Wales
121
62
813
1
5
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekka View Post
I never would have guessed that would happen to the psn. Not after that last breach issue they had. I'd have thought they'd have made things robust enough to resist a ddos attack.
Me too, although any little script kiddie can launch a ddos so it's not as serious as the hack a few years ago. And other massive studios were also affected.

The psn site says that it's online so maybe there's intermittent issues as Sony are working on it. The psn is due to go offline tomorrow for scheduled maintenance anyway, so maybe they could get a head start on that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
jamclaur jamclaur is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
jamclaur's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
29
804
34
Default

People need to get a life. If they want to hack something why not make a difference in the world?

Anyway. It's weird because I can still download patches on the PS4. I just can't sync trophies (same with Vita). Glad to know my internet isn't dead. lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
jamclaur jamclaur is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
jamclaur's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
29
804
34
Default

I just got a maintaince notification...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
MaCruz MaCruz is offline
Community Gaming Moderator
 
MaCruz's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL
160
65
920
17
360
532
486
192
23
139
Default

Just checked on my end. No notification, but it seems to be down.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Suntory_Times Suntory_Times is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Suntory_Times's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The Grid
16
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamclaur View Post
People need to get a life. If they want to hack something why not make a difference in the world?

Anyway. It's weird because I can still download patches on the PS4. I just can't sync trophies (same with Vita). Glad to know my internet isn't dead. lol.
Money. People who hack at this level are doing it to steal personal information and thus steal money.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
Mavrick Mavrick is offline
Gaming Moderator
 
Mavrick's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Wales
121
62
813
1
5
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
Money. People who hack at this level are doing it to steal personal information and thus steal money.
It's only a ddos they can't profit from it, they're just overloading servers with requests. They don't really need any skills to do it since you can readily download programs to do the work so no "hacks" are needed. Just a bunch of dumb kids with nothing better to do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Suntory_Times Suntory_Times is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Suntory_Times's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The Grid
16
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
It's only a ddos they can't profit from it, they're just overloading servers with requests. They don't really need any skills to do it since you can readily download programs to do the work so no "hacks" are needed. Just a bunch of dumb kids with nothing better to do.
I was more thinking about the first attack that people where passing it of as just some angry kid getting back at sony which it just wasn't.

As for this one, it does sound like some basic security measures would make such issues moot and for large companies to not have these things in places is downright scary.

Last edited by Suntory_Times; 08-24-2014 at 02:25 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Mavrick Mavrick is offline
Gaming Moderator
 
Mavrick's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
Wales
121
62
813
1
5
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
I was more thinking about the first attack that people where passing it of as just some angry kid getting back at sony which it just wasn't.

As for this one, it does sound like some basic security measures would make such issues moot and far large companies to not have these things in places is downright scary.
Oh first time around yeah.

It is frustrating that there's not more to be done to prevent these things happening. What's more annoying I'd that it keeps happening to the same companies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #12
Ugly Pig Ugly Pig is offline
Expert Member
 
May 2009
89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheMovieGuy View Post
Well get ready for a few free games ladies and gentlemen
What, because of a little down time? I don't think so.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
NARMAK NARMAK is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
NARMAK's Avatar
 
Feb 2007
United Kingdom
137
18
Default

DoS attacks can be 'little kids' but also cyber hackers being trained by intelligence agencies and malicious gangs etc. to get 'real world' experience.

I'm actually not sure why this isn't more easily taken care of. Oh well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #14
Elandyll Elandyll is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Elandyll's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
MD
188
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
I was more thinking about the first attack that people where passing it of as just some angry kid getting back at sony which it just wasn't.

As for this one, it does sound like some basic security measures would make such issues moot and far large companies to not have these things in places is downright scary.
No, it's not a hacking, it's a ddos (denial of service). Even very large company with very sophisticated protection have been hit by this kind of attacks in the past. Us banks, army, amazon, microsoft...

Generally for decently built security you can counter the attack fairly rapidly by putting some people on the case, which is probably why these guys launched their ddos early on a Sunday morning.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #15
Terjyn Terjyn is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Jul 2007
122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekka View Post
I never would have guessed that would happen to the psn. Not after that last breach issue they had. I'd have thought they'd have made things robust enough to resist a ddos attack.
You can't be robust enough to resist all DDoS attacks. There are far too many "legit" ways to DDoS a server that would prevent normal usage if you just shut them all down.

From a company standpoint the best you can hope for is to respond quickly. Naturally these guys attacked on a Sunday when minimal staff is there.

*EDIT* They are clearly working on it now though, instead of timing out I get access denied, which is a step up. heh

Last edited by Terjyn; 08-24-2014 at 02:39 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #16
Icemage Icemage is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jul 2007
Default

Uh, some of you guys realize that a DDoS is NOT a hack, yes?

Getting a Distributed Denial of Service attack is basically getting your network flooded with garbage information that then clogs up the information flow from legitimate users. It has nothing to do with your login security (which is what a hack is).
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Derb (08-24-2014), onyxbfly (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #17
onyxbfly onyxbfly is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
onyxbfly's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
779
29
47
Default

The DDoS only adds insult to injury with PSN scheduled maintenance for tomorrow. The scheduled maintenance is from midnight to 8 EST. Hopefully they can get this sorted out sooner than later.

Have a new system here for my lady that I wanted to set up before bringing over to her house.... Oh well I'm sure we can find other things to keep us busy!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #18
xXI GaMe IXx xXI GaMe IXx is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
xXI GaMe IXx's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
2
Default

Not This shit again..........



I know it can happen to any company just saying it sucks. This is why i use PSN and Xbox currency cards whenever I can. As for when I do use my CC I'm not worried I have 100% coverage through AMEX. This is really just an inconvenience

Also this group is playing with fire

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #19
xXI GaMe IXx xXI GaMe IXx is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
xXI GaMe IXx's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
No, it's not a hacking, it's a ddos (denial of service). Even very large company with very sophisticated protection have been hit by this kind of attacks in the past. Us banks, army, amazon, microsoft...

Generally for decently built security you can counter the attack fairly rapidly by putting some people on the case, which is probably why these guys launched their ddos early on a Sunday morning.
Disregard my post above. I was just educated by this one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #20
Terjyn Terjyn is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Jul 2007
122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXI GaMe IXx View Post
Not This shit again..........



I know it can happen to any company just saying it sucks. This is why i use PSN and Xbox currency cards whenever I can. As for when I do use my CC I'm not worried I have 100% coverage through AMEX. This is really just an inconvenience

Also this group is playing with fire
A DDoS has zero access to information inside the network.

And DDoSs are already illegal, so how much more fire can you play with by throwing up stupid pictures?
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:55 AM.