Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Shenmue III (PS4)
$9.99
1 day ago
NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$69.70

Wolfenstein: Alt History Collection (PS4)
$36.04
4 hrs ago
XIII (PS4)
$24.00

Street Fighter V (PS4)
$20.99
1 day ago
NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$29.97

Who Wants to Be A Millionare (PS4)
$19.99

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (PS4)
$19.93

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV (PS4)
$39.99

NHL 21 Ultimate Edition (PS4)
$42.97

Streets Of Rage 4 (PS4)
$29.60

The Last of Us Part II (PS4)
$29.83

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 08-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales
Default PlayStation Network Outage Thread - Status Checker In OP

Is PSN down? Why not check here and find out if there are any reported issues:

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...atus%3A-online

http://downdetector.com/status/playstation-network

PSN is down, apparently after being DDoSed.

A group called @LizardSquad is claiming responsibility for the action.

Shacknews is reporting that Battle.net, League of Legends and Grinding Gears’ Path of Exile have also been attacked, although Hearthstone appears to be fully playable at the moment.

The situation is ongoing, as the various staffs work hard to get the servers active again.

Last edited by Mavrick; 03-18-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Thanks given by:
Omegaice (08-24-2014), onyxbfly (08-24-2014), Steedeel (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #2

Apr 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

I never would have guessed that would happen to the psn. Not after that last breach issue they had. I'd have thought they'd have made things robust enough to resist a ddos attack.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

Well get ready for a few free games ladies and gentlemen
Old 08-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekka View Post
I never would have guessed that would happen to the psn. Not after that last breach issue they had. I'd have thought they'd have made things robust enough to resist a ddos attack.
Me too, although any little script kiddie can launch a ddos so it's not as serious as the hack a few years ago. And other massive studios were also affected.

The psn site says that it's online so maybe there's intermittent issues as Sony are working on it. The psn is due to go offline tomorrow for scheduled maintenance anyway, so maybe they could get a head start on that.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007

People need to get a life. If they want to hack something why not make a difference in the world?

Anyway. It's weird because I can still download patches on the PS4. I just can't sync trophies (same with Vita). Glad to know my internet isn't dead. lol.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007

I just got a maintaince notification...
Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
Community Gaming Moderator

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

Just checked on my end. No notification, but it seems to be down.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamclaur View Post
People need to get a life. If they want to hack something why not make a difference in the world?

Anyway. It's weird because I can still download patches on the PS4. I just can't sync trophies (same with Vita). Glad to know my internet isn't dead. lol.
Money. People who hack at this level are doing it to steal personal information and thus steal money.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
Money. People who hack at this level are doing it to steal personal information and thus steal money.
It's only a ddos they can't profit from it, they're just overloading servers with requests. They don't really need any skills to do it since you can readily download programs to do the work so no "hacks" are needed. Just a bunch of dumb kids with nothing better to do.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
It's only a ddos they can't profit from it, they're just overloading servers with requests. They don't really need any skills to do it since you can readily download programs to do the work so no "hacks" are needed. Just a bunch of dumb kids with nothing better to do.
I was more thinking about the first attack that people where passing it of as just some angry kid getting back at sony which it just wasn't.

As for this one, it does sound like some basic security measures would make such issues moot and for large companies to not have these things in places is downright scary.

Last edited by Suntory_Times; 08-24-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
I was more thinking about the first attack that people where passing it of as just some angry kid getting back at sony which it just wasn't.

As for this one, it does sound like some basic security measures would make such issues moot and far large companies to not have these things in places is downright scary.
Oh first time around yeah.

It is frustrating that there's not more to be done to prevent these things happening. What's more annoying I'd that it keeps happening to the same companies.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #12
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheMovieGuy View Post
Well get ready for a few free games ladies and gentlemen
What, because of a little down time? I don't think so.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

DoS attacks can be 'little kids' but also cyber hackers being trained by intelligence agencies and malicious gangs etc. to get 'real world' experience.

I'm actually not sure why this isn't more easily taken care of. Oh well.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
MD

Quote:

As for this one, it does sound like some basic security measures would make such issues moot and far large companies to not have these things in places is downright scary.
No, it's not a hacking, it's a ddos (denial of service). Even very large company with very sophisticated protection have been hit by this kind of attacks in the past. Us banks, army, amazon, microsoft...

Generally for decently built security you can counter the attack fairly rapidly by putting some people on the case, which is probably why these guys launched their ddos early on a Sunday morning.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekka View Post
You can't be robust enough to resist all DDoS attacks. There are far too many "legit" ways to DDoS a server that would prevent normal usage if you just shut them all down.

From a company standpoint the best you can hope for is to respond quickly. Naturally these guys attacked on a Sunday when minimal staff is there.

*EDIT* They are clearly working on it now though, instead of timing out I get access denied, which is a step up. heh

Last edited by Terjyn; 08-24-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Uh, some of you guys realize that a DDoS is NOT a hack, yes?

Getting a Distributed Denial of Service attack is basically getting your network flooded with garbage information that then clogs up the information flow from legitimate users. It has nothing to do with your login security (which is what a hack is).
Thanks given by:
Derb (08-24-2014), onyxbfly (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

The DDoS only adds insult to injury with PSN scheduled maintenance for tomorrow. The scheduled maintenance is from midnight to 8 EST. Hopefully they can get this sorted out sooner than later.

Have a new system here for my lady that I wanted to set up before bringing over to her house.... Oh well I'm sure we can find other things to keep us busy!
Old 08-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010

Not This shit again..........

I know it can happen to any company just saying it sucks. This is why i use PSN and Xbox currency cards whenever I can. As for when I do use my CC I'm not worried I have 100% coverage through AMEX. This is really just an inconvenience

Also this group is playing with fire

Old 08-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
No, it's not a hacking, it's a ddos (denial of service). Even very large company with very sophisticated protection have been hit by this kind of attacks in the past. Us banks, army, amazon, microsoft...

Generally for decently built security you can counter the attack fairly rapidly by putting some people on the case, which is probably why these guys launched their ddos early on a Sunday morning.
Disregard my post above. I was just educated by this one.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXI GaMe IXx View Post
Not This shit again..........

I know it can happen to any company just saying it sucks. This is why i use PSN and Xbox currency cards whenever I can. As for when I do use my CC I'm not worried I have 100% coverage through AMEX. This is really just an inconvenience

Also this group is playing with fire
A DDoS has zero access to information inside the network.

And DDoSs are already illegal, so how much more fire can you play with by throwing up stupid pictures?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4