Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
5 hrs ago
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Justice Society: World War II (Blu-ray)
$22.99
5 hrs ago
Castle of the Creeping Flesh (Blu-ray)
$15.98
1 day ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99

News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Stagecoach (Blu-ray)
$19.53
18 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Scare Me (Blu-ray)
$12.99
5 hrs ago
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.72
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 10-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #1

Apr 2010
Default Best Headphones $350 or under

Hi there

I have a 100" PJ which I tend to use for most sports and movies.

It's connected in the lounge. So after 9pm though, my kids go to sleep and I have to lower the volume.

So I thought I'd ask about the best headphones money can buy under $350.

No gaming, movies and sports. Mostly 5.1 but if I am investing then up to 7.1 would be good.

I am seated about 3 metres from the receiver, so extended cable would be great, but if not, no worries, I will purchase one separately.

Thanks for your advices.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:39 AM   #2

Mar 2008
Colorado

Couldnt recommend Philips Fidelio X2's enough. People may get thrown off by the name Philips with high end headphones but these are a serious value and compete with headphones double their price at 299. Check some reviews on Inner fidelity and Amazon. You could save a few bucks and go with the Fidelio X1 still amazing headphones and actually very slightly bassier than the already hard hitting bass of the x2, just slightly less refined
Old 02-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Power Member

Aug 2009

I faced the same dilemma. My seating position is pretty close to the amp, and I didn't want to mess with wireless headphones because they can introduce sound synch issues. I decided on the Beyerdynamic DT770s, and I got the 32 ohm model because it had the lowest price. Turns out they are great for both movies and music, with fantastic bass response. No claims on 5 or 7.1 though, my amp mixes everything to stereo by default with headphones in. Read the reviews on Amazon and head-fi.org. I paid $183.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/beye...edition-32-ohm (not limited edition anymore)

The Fidelos get great reviews too. One thing to keep in mind about them is that they are open, so anyone in the room will be able to hear them to some degree. The DT770 are closed, and isolate sound very well:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/philips-fidelio-x2

Last edited by Nocturnaloner; 02-10-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

if you don't need an external amp, the Sennheiser Momentum Over ears and the HD 598's are excellent for the range and are on a ridiculous sale right now
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (04-30-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #5

Mar 2008
Colorado

I also have the Momentum over ears. Absolutely wonderful headphones and the price is great on them right now since the 2.0's just came out but do keep in mind, the smaller ear cups are an issue for some people with larger ears. Mine fit fine but for some people it's a deal killer. As someone else stated, the fidelio's are in fact open back so sound leakage and isolation is their biggest weakness but if you are using them strictly for loud night viewing/gaming like myself, I find them pretty hard to beat from all I've owned and tried (Bose, Beats, Skullcandy, audio Technica m50's, sennheiser hd555, hd598, monentum over ear, ultrasone's) I use a turtle beach DSS1 from my ps4 and Xbox One for Dolby Digital PLIIx surround processing and it is a very convincing surround effect and also includes bass control

Last edited by hotbeef; 02-10-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2012
Kansas City, MO & Richmond, VA

I know it's hard to compare the two since it's open back vs closed back, but how do the Sennheiser HD598s compare with the Momentum Over-Ears? I have the HD598 for home listening but I've been thinking of upgrading to the Momentums for work and more portable usage.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (04-30-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #7

Mar 2008
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerGriggs View Post
I know it's hard to compare the two since it's open back vs closed back, but how do the Sennheiser HD598s compare with the Momentum Over-Ears? I have the HD598 for home listening but I've been thinking of upgrading to the Momentums for work and more portable usage.

I haven't had the 598's for awhile but I can say I absolutely prefer the Momentums. Could just be my specific taste in sound and music but the momentums have an energy to them and solid hitting bass that I always found lacking in the 555's and 598's. They are absolutely not overblown basshead cans but they will definitely satisfy someone looking for extra bass that doesn't muddy up the rest of the sound like beats. As far as comfort, if your ears fit, they are quite nice to wear. Very light weight, pads are nice and soft and the headband has never bugged me like other headphones I've owned. They lack a folding feature like the 2.0's so they can't compacts very small but the case they come with is nice for traveling and keeping them safe. Hope that helps!
Old 02-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
I'd go for the 598s.. the Momentums are little more uncomfortable than the 598's and as for sound quality I'd say the 598's slightly edge out the momentums. they're a little more airy and the bass is rather laid back. the bass management in the Momentums is a bit too heavy and forward sounding. both are great though and are on insane sale. the 598's are $147 at amazon right now which is NUTS
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (04-30-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 03:50 AM   #9
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Western New York, U.S.A.

Wow, those 598's look like a nice pair of comfy slippers for your ears, . And if they sound great, BONUS!
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (04-30-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 02:57 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

My sister Nita got me a set of Beats Pro headphones, and the quality is incredible. My only (very minor) complaint is the lack of a volume control dial on the wire...but otherwise, a truly great gift.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #11
Power Member

May 2011
Belgium

The 598s are excellent.
At the price on Amazon at $150, it's a STEAL. AWESOME deal. I even bought a set a few weeks ago, and I'm sure a friend somewhere will want them. If no one does, I'll keep them.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (04-30-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 09:09 PM   #12

Nov 2011

AKG Q701 are on sale on amazon too.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:32 AM   #13
Power Member

May 2011
Belgium

I am sure the Q701s are excellent as well. I love my AKG K701s. They are crisp, "bright" (but not brittle), outstanding separation/imaging, but perhaps a little light on bass. Great performers, though.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
if you don't need an external amp, the Sennheiser Momentum Over ears and the HD 598's are excellent for the range and are on a ridiculous sale right now
Although I discovered this thread late (after purchasing my cans). I'm in complete agreement with you, as I picked up this complete travel rig for a little more than $250 .......

And although the 598's can be driven comfortably with your portable device the experience was made much better by playing them through my portable Fiio E11K amp via the LOD

Quote:
I know a lot of people want to shut out the world around them while outdoors, but I find that practice extremly DANGEROUS in that you're cutting off one of your most important senses (hearing) if/when trouble comes away from your line of sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbeef View Post
I haven't had the 598's for awhile but I can say I absolutely prefer the Momentums. Could just be my specific taste in sound and music but the momentums have an energy to them and solid hitting bass that I always found lacking in the 555's and 598's. They are absolutely not overblown basshead cans but they will definitely satisfy someone looking for extra bass that doesn't muddy up the rest of the sound like beats. As far as comfort, if your ears fit, they are quite nice to wear. Very light weight, pads are nice and soft and the headband has never bugged me like other headphones I've owned. They lack a folding feature like the 2.0's so they can't compacts very small but the case they come with is nice for traveling and keeping them safe. Hope that helps!
Different strokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
I'd go for the 598s.. the Momentums are little more uncomfortable than the 598's and as for sound quality I'd say the 598's slightly edge out the momentums. they're a little more airy and the bass is rather laid back. the bass management in the Momentums is a bit too heavy and forward sounding. both are great though and are on insane sale. the 598's are $147 at amazon right now which is NUTS
I'm in complete agreement here

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmeat69 View Post
Wow, those 598's look like a nice pair of comfy slippers for your ears, . And if they sound great, BONUS!
And they do ................

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
The 598s are excellent.
At the price on Amazon at $150, it's a STEAL. AWESOME deal. I even bought a set a few weeks ago, and I'm sure a friend somewhere will want them. If no one does, I'll keep them.
I'm so glad I picked mine up and with the accessories I bought they've been taken to another level

Old 05-01-2015, 01:46 AM   #15
Power Member

May 2011
Belgium

Congrats on a nice purchase!

Also, Fiio makes great products. I have the X5 (player), E6 and the E18. My friend has the E11....
ALL of them are very nice! The X5 with my E12 is phenomenal!

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 05-01-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (05-18-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 05:12 AM   #16
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Western New York, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
Congrats on a nice purchase!

Also, Fiio makes great products. I have the X5 (player), E6 and the E18. My friend has the E11....
ALL of them are very nice! The X5 with my E12 is phenomenal!
Yeah, Fiio is a good brand, I love my X1 and E11K amp.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 11:49 PM   #17
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmeat69 View Post
Yeah, Fiio is a good brand, I love my X1 and E11K amp.
I'm also looking into their digital players to purchase at a later date
Old 05-19-2015, 12:42 AM   #18
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Western New York, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
I'm also looking into their digital players to purchase at a later date
The new X3 seems like a winner at around $200. Another winner for OP would be SoundMAGIC HP200 open back headphones, got mine from Massdrop for $170, go for $200 on amazon, awesome sounding cans. Many people compare them to HD600 and 650's from Sennheiser, I can't say, don't own either of those, but worth a look.

Last edited by frogmeat69; 05-19-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #19

Dec 2008
Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada

OK, so I purchased the HD 598's based on this thread and a ridiculous Lightning Sale after Christmas.

I tried them for the first time last night and it felt like something was missing? The sound was somewhat closed in, like the difference from going from an lossless audio codec to a lossy one. I had them plugged directly into my Onkyo HT-R390 and was playing a Blu-ray. Do I need an amp or anything? Perhaps the settings on the receiver were not correct, but the only listening modes were direct, stereo and mono.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:46 PM   #20
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel Run View Post
OK, so I purchased the HD 598's based on this thread and a ridiculous Lightning Sale after Christmas.

I tried them for the first time last night and it felt like something was missing? The sound was somewhat closed in, like the difference from going from an lossless audio codec to a lossy one. I had them plugged directly into my Onkyo HT-R390 and was playing a Blu-ray. Do I need an amp or anything? Perhaps the settings on the receiver were not correct, but the only listening modes were direct, stereo and mono.

Thanks for any help.
Although I liked the sound of the 598's right out of the box, They did really open up after several hours of playing (burn in)

I initially played mine the through the headphone jack of my AVR or various Apple devices ........... Then mating the iPod with the Fiio portable headphone amp took them to another level ....... They sound even better once I mated them with the desktop DAC/Headphone amp I recently acquired
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio