Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
3 hrs ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 hr ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
11 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Log Horizon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$48.99
1 hr ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
7 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio

Old 10-30-2014, 01:46 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester
Default Oppo HA-2 amp and PM-3 headphones

The PM-3 is a lightweight, closed-back planar magnetic headphone that provides excellent sound quality and portability, and the HA-2 is a portable headphone amplifier with built-in rechargeable battery designed to pair with mobile phones and portable music players.

Following the successful launch of the PM-1 and PM-2 planar magnetic headphones, OPPO continues to develop their planar magnetic driver technology. Technological breakthroughs achieved during the PM-1’s development, such as the 7-layer double-side voice coil diaphragm design and FEM-optimized neodymium magnet system, have enabled OPPO to further reduce the weight of the planar magnetic drivers while maintaining excellent sound quality and high sensitivity. As a result, the new drivers are even more suitable for a portable product and can be easily driven with any smartphone or portable music player. New to the PM-3 is its closed back design, which will allow consumers to enjoy their favorite music anywhere while being isolated from outside noise.

For users who need more power and better performance than a typical smartphone or portable music player can offer, the HA-2 portable headphone amplifier will be an excellent choice. Featuring a hybrid class AB amplifier and a USB DAC supporting 384 kHz PCM and DSD256, the HA-2 offers high performance digital-to-analog conversion for both Apple’s iPhone/iPod and many Android devices. A 3.5 mm input works with the remaining portable music players that do not have a USB-compatible digital output. Convenience features such as 30-minute rapid charging and a mobile device power bank make the HA-2 a true companion for music on the go.

Oppo announced that the tentative pricing for the HA-2 portable headphone amplifier and DAC will be $299.00 and the PM-3 portable planar magnetic headphones will be $399.00. Note "tentative" since the pricing is always subject to final production cost analysis, but I strongly suspect these will be the final MSRPs. No discrete release dates yet, but the PM-3 should be released in January.

Last edited by JohnAV; 10-30-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:11 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Earlier show article
The New Oppo PM-3 and HA-2 – RMAF 2014

Quote:
The portable HA-2 features a very well designed and aesthetically pleasing outer casing, which sports much of the same attention to detail that Oppo has perfected on its other products. I think its relative size of thin and long over deep is a very wise choice that effectively mirrors the current cellphone trend. The HA-2′s amplification will be a hybrid AB class and digital conversion duties will be fueled by an ESS SABRE 9018 “M”, (two cores as opposed to 8). It will also be iPhone friendly and compatible with some android interfaces. Expect the highest in resolution files (up to 4X DSD) from the PC connection and a price under $500, huzzah! The HA-2 is also aiming for a January 2015 release.
As posted above $299. The Leather is part of the HA-2. More images to see in this article of both the upcoming HA-2 and PM-3.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

Wow. Very nice. I might give the PM3 a go.

Oppo seem very committed to personal audio.

Thanks for posting.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Here's a example of a Sony PCM-M10 Line Out > OPPO HA-2 > OPPO PM-1
Thanks given by:
Badas (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Innerfidelity CanJam@RMAF 2014: Oppo Digital PM-3 Portable Sealed Headphone
Thanks given by:
Badas (10-30-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

From http://digi.it.sohu.com
Old 11-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

From audiovideohd.fr
Old 11-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Old 11-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008

^

Stunning build look. Oppo have always had the knack for looks and making things work as advertised. Very interested in the PM-3. I want to put a closed headphone in my setup.

It will be this or the Alpha Dogs.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:04 AM   #10
Power Member

May 2011
Belgium

I've never had the opportunity to test run Oppo equipment, but I've always been curious.
I wish there was more audiophile stuff in Seoul that wasn't stuck in a box, out of reach from my ears!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Oppo has updated their website for the HA-2 which is now shipping! The HA-2 is available for $299 (plus shipping). Their PM-3 (closed back) is due in about a month from what I've read.

From press release
Quote:
The HA-2 is an elegant yet sophisticated portable headphone amplifier with built-in rechargeable battery. It is engineered to enhance music playback from mobile phones and portable music players. Aesthetically, the HA-2 does not look like a typical or generic electronic device. Its genuine leather casing with contrast stitching and beveled aluminum edges are eye-catching and cannot be confused with any other product. Its fit and finish will instill a sense of pride when using the product.

Featuring hybrid class AB amplification and a USB DAC, the HA-2 offers high performance digital-to-analog conversion for Apple's iPhone/iPod products, a wide range of Android devices, PC and Mac computers. The HA-2 may be conveniently used to charge mobile devices on-the-go and itself can be efficiently charged in 30 minutes. Headphones, from very sensitive In-Ear Monitors to the most power-hungry Over-the-Ears, can all benefit from the HA-2's excellent performance and powerful amplification.

Key features of the HA-2 include:

Ultra-slim Design - Stacking the HA-2 on top of some smartphone models is often still thinner than other portable headphone amplifier models alone.
ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC - ES9018-K2M DAC chip delivers high-resolution performance with extremely low noise and distortion.
High-Resolution Audio - The HA-2 supports PCM audio up to 384 kHz / 32-bit, DSD audio up to 12 MHz (DSD256 or DSD4x). No Camera Connection Kit required for high-resolution playback from iOS devices.
Multiple Devices Support -The HA-2 supports multiple device types for digital-to-analog conversion via USB: iPod / iPhone / iPad, smartphones with USB OTG feature, PC and Mac computers.
Rapid Charging - The HA-2's internal battery can be quickly charged in about 30 minutes with the patented rapid charger.
Mobile Power Bank - The HA-2 functions as an external battery pack to charge mobile devices.

With smartphone use increasing all the time, users are often carrying a device that is capable of storing high quality audio files. The HA-2 is a very mobile-centric portable headphone amplifier and DAC that pairs exceptionally well with iOS and Android devices, and it can offer a significant improvement in sound quality over the amplification and DAC available in the mobile device itself, without adding excessive bulk and weight so as to make the combination inconvenient.

The HA-2 offers two USB DAC input ports -- one for Apple's iPhone/iPod, and the other for Android devices, PC and Mac computers. A 3.5 mm input works with the remaining portable music players that do not have a USB-compatible digital output. There are two gain level settings. The High Gain mode is capable of driving large power-hungry headphones, delivering up to 300 mW into 16-Ohm headphones. The Low Gain mode is intended for sensitive In-Ear Monitor type earphones. For users who like a bit more punch and impact with their music, the HA-2 offers a Bass Boost function that is implemented purely with analog audio circuits.

Last edited by JohnAV; 02-21-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Some more images

Old 02-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Finally seeing some impressions of HA-2 (headfi.org), thread link

Quote:
I have spent a week with the HA-2, driving a variety of headphones, from Audio-Technica (open and closed back models), vintage Sony, and Oppo's PM-1 and PM-2 headphones.

The fast charge is indeed fast, but the unit kept charged when I used it as my DAC/Amp with my MacPro and MacBook Pro. The unit was recognized instantly in System Preferences, and I played with the controls on the unit. I ended up using the high-gain setting for my headphones, although I did note I could listen at the same level with the gain set to either setting, but had to crank on the volume control. I listened for noise, but couldn't hear a difference between cranking the volume control knob up with gain set to low, or barely cranking the volume control with the gain set to high, which I viewed as a testament to the excellent noise floor of the unit.

From a physical standpoint, it outclasses anything in its price range. My Fiio Alpen seems like a nice assembly line product compared to the HA-2, which has just the right amount of heft, physical rigidity, and the leather and controls are all on the same level of execution. Most products (save for Apple) often have an area where the ball is dropped a bit, but not so in the HA-2. It feels just great in the hand, not overbearing, or techie. It deserves a place in the MOMA Design Collection, the design is that subtle and refined.

As for the audio, compared to the MacPro's built in DAC/Amp it was more open, smoother, with a much cleaner bottom end. Soundstage was strong, and attack times, such as a cymbal crash were more musical, believable. I also compared to other DACs, but need more time to compare and contrast, but my initial sense comparing it to USB powered DACs was that the lower end, especially bass (electric or acoustic) had more depth, a more natural musicality. I'm going to compare next to the revised Dragonfly, AudioEngine D3, Korg, and Oppo HA-1. And my phone as well.

So far, I think it's a very groovy device. And at the price point, should force anyone considering a portable, or even desktop DAC to reconsider their options.

Harris
Old 02-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

A YouTube video that shows off the HA-2 adequately

Old 02-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Per Oppo

Quote:
I have some good news for you all - the PM-3 is now available for purchase on our website. We anticipate shipping orders out starting March 5th.

http://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-3/

Thank you all for your interest!
Old 03-18-2015, 03:07 AM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008

http://referencehometheater.com/revi...phones-review/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...-pm3-hands-on/
Old 03-18-2015, 04:15 AM   #17
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Western New York, U.S.A.

I wonder how these would do for someone (me) who likes to listen to a lot of classic and modern metal and hard rock? I've been trying to save up for a real nice set of cans, and the Fidelio X2, and HD 600 and 650's to a lesser degree have been on my radar, and have read the X2's are great for metal, along with all other music styles, a good all around headphone, but the PM-3 is tempting.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008

^

Planar Magnetic headphones are just amazing. I would not use anything else.

It is so good to see more players like Oppo.

Keep an eye out for Audeze and the EL8 and HiFiMan offer the HE-400i.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #19
Power Member

Nov 2008
Portland, OR

I had to return my PM-3 headphones after a few weeks of use due to a lack of comfort. I really liked the sound quality of the headphones, but my ears would start to hurt after a half hour or more of use. They would just really begin to feel uncomfortable after prolonged use. I like headphones to "disappear" on my head while I'm using them, and these just became more and more uncomfortable as usage increased.

Last edited by anthonyls; 05-06-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:08 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyls View Post
I had to return my PM-3 headphones after a few weeks of use due to a lack of comfort. I really liked the sound quality of the headphones, but ears would start to hurt after a half hour or more of use. They would just really begin to feel uncomfortable after prolonged use. I like headphones to "disappear" on my head while I'm using them, and these just became more and more uncomfortable as usage increased.
How would you describe the sound? Bright or relaxed.

Was the comfort due to the fact that Oppo headphones have a very small cup sizes for a over ear? or something else?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio