Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
1 day ago
Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.46
6 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
1 day ago
Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Member Personal Pages

Old 11-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
As for my mannerisms, I never understood why I was treated so differently from everyone else for the bulk of my life...until first reading about Asperger's Syndrome maybe three years ago. Here's the video I made on it, last year...

As for Ben Shapiro, I became a big fan of his after seeing some of his videos on YouTube, and have purchased a few of his books. I don't agree with everything he says, but its nice to see a conservative who's not ashamed to be bold.
Thanks for the quick response. My younger brother was diagnosed with Asperger's years ago so I'm well acquainted with it. I believe he belongs to the first generation for which AS was a widely recognized syndrome. We're similar in many ways. You could say I'm aspie-ish (but, then again, aren't we all?).

Ben Shapiro is alright. When it comes to political commentary I prefer the likes of Mark Steyn, Christopher Hitchens, Victor Davis Hanson, and Niall Ferguson. I know they discourage political debates on these forums so let's refrain from getting in too deep, but this thread is about you. So my next question is what thinkers have shaped your outlook and, more broadly speaking, you think are interesting?
Old 11-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
If you could sum up Asperger's in one sentence, what would you type?
I could probably sum it up in two sentences but not one. Here's my best shot...

"It is a vastly misinterpreted variant in the wiring of the brain from birth, which affects the very core of that person's being, and how they are able to live their lives. It is not a disease or disorder to be cured, but a difference to be understood and accepted."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat III View Post
Thanks for the quick response. My younger brother was diagnosed with Asperger's years ago so I'm well acquainted with it. I believe he belongs to the first generation for which AS was a widely recognized syndrome. We're similar in many ways. You could say I'm aspie-ish (but, then again, aren't we all?).
Everyone has their quirks, but Asperger's is diagnosed by a large degree of symptoms existing within the same individual. I've seen lists as long as 50 traits, and while we all may have up to 10 of them, those diagnosed with A.S. usually have 30 or more.

Quote:
Ben Shapiro is alright. When it comes to political commentary I prefer the likes of Mark Steyn, Christopher Hitchens, Victor Davis Hanson, and Niall Ferguson. I know they discourage political debates on these forums so let's refrain from getting in too deep, but this thread is about you. So my next question is what thinkers have shaped your outlook and, more broadly speaking, you think are interesting?
The only name I'm (vaguely) familiar with from your list is Christopher Hitchens...and in all honesty, he always seemed very short-tempered, angry, and bitter. I don't read a lot about philosophers and such, but I am a fan of Christian apologetics. I really lke a lot of Frank Turek's messages, and have seen his debates with Christopher. I'd like to read Peter Hitchens' book, "The Rage Against God: How Atheism Led Me to Faith". Turek's also got another book scheduled for a January release, called "Stealing From God".

Okay, more questions please...
Old 11-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #23
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I could probably sum it up in two sentences but not one. Here's my best shot...

"It is a vastly misinterpreted variant in the wiring of the brain from birth, which affects the very core of that person's being, and how they are able to live their lives. It is not a disease or disorder to be cured, but a difference to be understood and accepted."

Everyone has their quirks, but Asperger's is diagnosed by a large degree of symptoms existing within the same individual. I've seen lists as long as 50 traits, and while we all may have up to 10 of them, those diagnosed with A.S. usually have 30 or more.

The only name I'm (vaguely) familiar with from your list is Christopher Hitchens...and in all honesty, he always seemed very short-tempered, angry, and bitter. I don't read a lot about philosophers and such, but I am a fan of Christian apologetics. I really lke a lot of Frank Turek's messages, and have seen his debates with Christopher. I'd like to read Peter Hitchens' book, "The Rage Against God: How Atheism Led Me to Faith". Turek's also got another book scheduled for a January release, called "Stealing From God".

Okay, more questions please...
Thanks man.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:40 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Which is why I'd only ever go so far as calling myself aspie-ish. Self-diagnosis is a dangerous game.

Quote:
The only name I'm (vaguely) familiar with from your list is Christopher Hitchens...and in all honesty, he always seemed very short-tempered, angry, and bitter.
You say that as if it's a bad thing. Hitchens is also funny, deeply knowledgeable and a rare person who can truly be called a free-thinker. I often disagree with him, but always appreciate his perspective. Here, we're clearly different. My interest in the right comes mostly through secular figures like George Will, Heather McDonald, and Penn & Teller.

A conservative that hasn't heard of Mark Steyn. You're depriving yourself. Look him up. You'll like him.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:17 AM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
Which is why I'd only ever go so far as calling myself aspie-ish. Self-diagnosis is a dangerous game.
Yes it is, which is why I'm glad I submitted to a 6-hour psychological evaluation last year. I didn't get lots of answers, but at least I know I'm not crazy anymore.

Quote:
You say that as if it's a bad thing. Hitchens is also funny, deeply knowledgeable and a rare person who can truly be called a free-thinker. I often disagree with him, but always appreciate his perspective. Here, we're clearly different. My interest in the right comes mostly through secular figures like George Will, Heather McDonald, and Penn & Teller.
I find it really hard to appreciate people who constantly insult others...and in the debates I saw between Turek and Hitchens, the latter was doing little else. His repeated rant about "here's what you have to believe if you reject evolution" just had me shaking my head. His brother Peter appears much calmer by comparison, which is one reason why I'm interested in him. I haven't heard of George Will, but I do think I've heard Heather's name before. I know Penn & Teller are comedians, but I couldn't get through a single rant of theirs (too much crassness).

Quote:
A conservative that hasn't heard of Mark Steyn. You're depriving yourself. Look him up. You'll like him.
I think he's been referenced on news programs a bit, but I will check; thanks for the recommendation.

Alright, then...who's next?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Just bumping this up, since its been almost a month with no more replies.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #27
Power Member

Oct 2012

What is the name of the movie character you are most like?
Old 01-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #28
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenHarvey1990 View Post
What is the name of the movie character you are most like?
That's an easy one...

Now obviously, I don't know near as much about science, but my vocabulary, mannerisms, and tone of voice are often in the same ballpark. I can get really hyper, and my speech becomes very rapid when I'm excited about something. Just look at my video for the "Superman" soundtrack, from a few months ago...

Old 01-04-2015, 03:09 AM   #29
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Your enthusiasm is infectious in that video. I have that soundtrack as well, I think it has some of the best packaging I've ever seen on a CD set.

What's your favorite sport?
Old 01-04-2015, 03:32 AM   #30
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
USA

Quote:
One more thing: my username often prompts people to ask what my favorite movie is, so here's the answer: "I don't have just one; there's too many to choose from."
Did you originally go by Magnoliafan before Jay and Silent Bob Stike Back came out?
Old 01-04-2015, 03:37 AM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Your enthusiasm is infectious in that video. I have that soundtrack as well, I think it has some of the best packaging I've ever seen on a CD set.
I was really thrilled to get that in the mail, because I'd been told it was out of print. Seeing it listed on Amazon (brand-new no less) was a huge thrill, and I only paid $10 for it. When I opened the mailbox that day, my inner geek cheered, and I raced back to my computer to do the review.

Quote:
What's your favorite sport?
I've never been a fan of most sports, especially football...but I really admired Texas Rangers pitcher Nolan Ryan as a kid. I even went to a game for my 13th birthday in 1993, but it was his day off. Shortly after that, he threw his arm out, and I never got to see him play live. Many years later, I wrote to the Rangers, sharing my story...and they sent me a signed 8x10 from Nolan.

As for films about sports, I don't watch many...but my fave is "Field of Dreams".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
Did you originally go by Magnoliafan before Jay and Silent Bob Stike Back came out?
No, and with the exception of "Dogma", I've never seen Kevin Smith's movies.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:40 AM   #32
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
USA

Quote:
No, and with the exception of "Dogma", I've never seen Kevin Smith's movies.
It was a referential joke.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:44 AM   #33
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
It was a referential joke.
Well, it went completely over my head; sorry.

Who's got the next question?
Old 01-04-2015, 05:15 AM   #34
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
USA

Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig?
Old 01-04-2015, 05:24 AM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig?
Pierce Brosnan all the way, with Daniel Craig a close second. I haven't seen any of the other Bond films all the way through, just clips here and there. My favorite of the Brosnan era is "Die Another Day", and "Skyfall" is tops (so far) from Craig.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #36
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Coke or Pepsi?
Old 01-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #37
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Coke or Pepsi?
That's an interesting deal, because my mother worked for the Coca-Cola company from 1994 to 2008. As a result, we often got their products for a greatly-reduced price. However, they must've changed their formula at some point, because it started having this weird almond aftertaste...so I switched to Pepsi. The only Coke products I drink anymore are Sprite and Barq's root beer.

Next...
Old 01-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA
Smile

Been awhile since I've said anything in this thread. So do you have an online presence anywhere other than here and YouTube?
Old 01-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #39
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

Quote:
Been awhile since I've said anything in this thread. So do you have an online presence anywhere other than here and YouTube?
I have a page on Facebook, and I'm a member of the Jedi Council Forums on TheForce.Net. I also have accounts on a couple of DVD cover sites, most notably CustoManiacs.

PM me for those links if you like; the mods are rather "iffy" with what constitutes advertising.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:20 AM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
I have a page on Facebook, and I'm a member of the Jedi Council Forums on TheForce.Net. I also have accounts on a couple of DVD cover sites, most notably CustoManiacs.

PM me for those links if you like; the mods are rather "iffy" with what constitutes advertising.
That's okay, I don't frequent any of those sites. The mods are weird about linking to personal blogs, etc. I think they use to allow it as long as there was no advertising, but I think they're against it altogether now.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Member Personal Pages