Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 day ago
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
18 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34

Shadow in the Cloud (Blu-ray)
$19.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 12-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #1

Jun 2013
India
Default what is difference between bluray and 4k

what is difference between bluray and 4k
i mean 4k can play on our normal bluray player ?
Old 12-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

Jun 2013
India

61VY-xC1m6L.jpg

this pic say something but i want to hear from our forum expert ......
Old 12-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

There are no 4k discs at the moment. When they come they will probably need new players.

Blu-ray is approximately 2k. The 'Mastered in 4k' discs are a bit of a gimmick, that means the transfer was created/mastered in 4k resolution but then downsampled to blu ray ~2k resolution. But what is on disc is not genuine 4k because there are no 4k discs at the moment.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Johannesburg - South Africa

Hope This helps:

To me, this is technically a new format as all the current hardware will not support 4K. You will need a (To be Fully 4K compatible):

- Ultra HD (4K) TV or Projector
- 4K Receiver
- 4K Player (still not available, as there are no 4K discs available as yet)

Normal blu ray discs are 1920 x 1080, or 1080p. Just like Blu Ray (1080p) is an enhancement to DVD (720p), so too will 4K be an enhancement to Blu ray. Hope that makes sense
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4K-Resolution-Comparison-e1358543249874.jpg (24.7 KB, 249 views)
Old 12-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #5

Feb 2010

Isnt DVD only 480p i.e. 480X720
Old 12-12-2014, 02:48 AM   #6

Oct 2011
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky View Post
Isnt DVD only 480p i.e. 480X720
Yes it's 720x480 ,it will be stretched horizontally to 853x480 during playback.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:27 AM   #7

Jun 2013
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrat_Boy View Post
Hope This helps:

To me, this is technically a new format as all the current hardware will not support 4K. You will need a (To be Fully 4K compatible):

- Ultra HD (4K) TV or Projector
- 4K Receiver
- 4K Player (still not available, as there are no 4K discs available as yet)

Normal blu ray discs are 1920 x 1080, or 1080p. Just like Blu Ray (1080p) is an enhancement to DVD (720p), so too will 4K be an enhancement to Blu ray. Hope that makes sense
okk i understand that
but what is this
http://www.amazon.in/Amazing-Spider-...zing+sipderman

http://www.amazon.in/Amazing-Spiderm...g+sipderman+4k

you can see price is different of both disc,just they are fooling us or
second disc is better than first disc
Old 12-12-2014, 04:30 AM   #8

Jun 2013
India

i mean just forget about 4k
the sequence of our upgrade format of watching movies is
VHS
VCD
DVD
HD DVD
Bluray
and now 4k
or their in between blyray and 4 k
Old 12-12-2014, 04:44 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Johannesburg - South Africa

^^ When a disc says mastered in 4K, it just means that the actual film was scanned in at '4K' i.e. the actual film being scanned in digitally.

When the blu ray is authored, that same 4K transfer is downscaled to 1080P.

I have watched three movies that have had this:
- Elysium
- The Innocents (1961)
- After Earth

While i can say that i haven't really seen a difference with Elysium and After Earth (As compared to other normally authored BD discs), The Innocents (1961) is considerably by far an excellent transfer (which i am sure benefited from the actual 4K scan).
Old 12-12-2014, 04:46 AM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketan View Post
Attachment 103132

this pic say something but i want to hear from our forum expert ......
Quote:
okk i understand that
but what is this
http://www.amazon.in/Amazing-Spider-...zing+sipderman

http://www.amazon.in/Amazing-Spiderm...g+sipderman+4k

you can see price is different of both disc,just they are fooling us or
second disc is better than first disc
Any current Blu-Ray movie you see with the 4K banner (especially the Sony ones) will be mastered in 4K, but since there are no 4K discs, they're going to output in 2K (1080p). It means that the original source material is actually bigger resolution than what the disc itself has. When you take a big ultra-high-def picture and shrink it down to 2K, it's going to naturally look sharper and cleaner than most other movies that aren't remastered. In our current cycle of movie releases and re-releases, it's like the equivalent to the Superbit DVDs, which looked a little better than others because of their mastering.

I'm not sure how the Spider-Man movies compare between the older Blu-Ray releases and the new 4K release, but I have upgraded my copies of RoboCop, TGTBATU, and Fargo to the 4K remasters. They all show improvement over older releases - the original releases may have been taken from outdated DVD masters anyway - but RoboCop is especially striking. I was also impressed by the 4K release of Rocky (never even saw the original Blu-Ray release). There are also numerous Criterion movies being released in 4K (such as Breaking the Waves), and some select movies (like Blade Runner, Alien, Baraka) have been mastered at 4K, and possibly 8K. Plenty of new movies, like Elysium, naturally come from 4K masters or higher. They all have perfect quality...on a 2K Blu-Ray.

4K Blu-Rays will come out next year, apparently. I have no idea if the difference between regular BDs and 4K BDs will be that significant, but from what I hear, it'll be super-sharp, super-clean, and extremely vivid in color. But as far as comparing 4K-mastered BDs to other normal BDs, it boils down to how better of a transfer you're getting (and it usually is an improvement).

Last edited by Al_The_Strange; 12-13-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #11

Oct 2011
India

Consumers who've bought copies of the same movie in VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray aren't necessarily going to buy another version in Blu-ray 4K, and movie studios aren't necessarily going to trouble of remastering existing movies to take full advantage of the new format. But for new movies, already often produced in 4K versions, the decision to support the format is a lot easier.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:45 AM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
Any current Blu-Ray movie you see with the 4K banner (especially the Sony ones) will be mastered in 4K, but since there are no 4K discs, they're going to output in 2K (1080p). It means that the original source material is actually bigger resolution than what the disc itself has. When you take a big ultra-high-def picture and shrink it down to 2K, it's going to naturally look sharper and cleaner than most other movies that aren't remastered. In our current cycle of movie releases and re-releases, it's like the equivalent to the Superbit DVDs, which looked a little better than others because of their mastering.

I'm not sure how the Spider-Man movies compare between the older Blu-Ray releases and the new 4K release, but I have upgraded my copies of RoboCop, TGTBATU, and Fargo to the 4K remasters. They all show improvement over older releases - the original releases may have been taken from outdated DVD masters anyway - but RoboCop is especially striking. I was also impressed by the 4K release of Rocky (never even saw the original Blu-Ray release). There are also numerous Criterion movies being released in 4K (such as Breaking the Waves), and some select movies (like Blade Runner, Alien, Baraka) have been mastered at 4K, and possibly 8K. Plenty of new movies, like Elysium, naturally come from 4K masters or higher. They all have perfect quality...on a 2K Blu-Ray.

4K Blu-Rays will come out next year, apparently. I have no idea if the difference between regular BDs and 4K BDs will be that significant, but from what I hear, it'll be super-sharp, super-clean, and extremely vivid in color. But as far as comparing 4K-mastered BDs to other normal BDs, it boils down to how better of a transfer you're getting (and it usually is an improvement).
Spiderman 1 and 2 look noticeably better but not as much as Robocop, Fargo or Ghostbusters, but those last 3 had problematic older scans the first time around.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #13

Jun 2013
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramasa View Post
Consumers who've bought copies of the same movie in VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray aren't necessarily going to buy another version in Blu-ray 4K, and movie studios aren't necessarily going to trouble of remastering existing movies to take full advantage of the new format. But for new movies, already often produced in 4K versions, the decision to support the format is a lot easier.
yeah that's why i am excited !
because i started collection 2 months ago (still score is 22 Blu ray)
In India still there are 5 to 8 titles,so i can buy this (so called) remastered 4k, i have some movies DVD or some movies VCD that can be updated to bluray or remastered 4k.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #14

Oct 2011
India

Quote:
yeah that's why i am excited !
because i started collection 2 months ago (still score is 22 Blu ray)
In India still there are 5 to 8 titles,so i can buy this (so called) remastered 4k, i have some movies DVD or some movies VCD that can be updated to bluray or remastered 4k.
Format changes that offer better quality are often a pain for consumers especially those who pick the wrong one, as was the case when the Betamax videotape format famously lost out to VHS, or when HD DVD lost out to Blu-ray. Consumers don't have to worry so much about formats with streaming media like Netflix,Roku or You tube etc.
Thanks given by:
nrD (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
Expert Member

Feb 2013

True. But there's no concept of ownership through streaming
Old 12-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #16

Oct 2011
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrD View Post
Yeah i agree,But the ultimate beneficiaries of technology evolution are consumers..
Old 12-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #17
Special Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrD View Post
Actually, that is NOT true. You can 'own' Digital copies that you can stream via services such as Vudu & Flixster. I personally own several hundred movie which I can stream on different devices anywhere in the world.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #18

Jul 2012
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay0864 View Post
Actually, that is NOT true. You can 'own' Digital copies that you can stream via services such as Vudu & Flixster. I personally own several hundred movie which I can stream on different devices anywhere in the world.
That is not correct specifically for India.
You cannot open netflix/flixter/Vudu account from India without using proxy.
And officially those services are not available for India. Same goes for codes bundled with blu-ray package imported from US/UK.

Yes, if you have valid US/UK netflix/flixster/vudu account, you can stream your content anywhere in the world.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #19
Expert Member

Feb 2013

The thing is: you own a copy of those movies as long as vudu has servers and remains in operation. Or really, what if they delete a film you own from their servers for some reason or another?

You still have to stream the film, so all you really own is an access code to the file on vudu's (or other streaming service's) servers. You can't play that film from your own hard drive or your phone/tablet/media-device's local storage. That means if I'm on the road or in the plane, I basically don't have access to things I own to which I would have access if I brought a blu-ray with me or had downloaded a digital copy.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:50 PM   #20
Special Member

Jul 2015
Flat earth, upper Left hand Corner:)

Blue ray is a beam of light within the 450 to 485 nm wavelength / 620-670 Thz Frequency and 4K was the Klan's Karaoke cover band which disbanded after being beaten to death in Harlem back in 09'
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India