Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
18 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
14 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rad (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Member Personal Pages

Old 01-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA
Exclamation The Definitive Cat III Thread: Ask Me Anything

These new member personal pages have been largely neglected, so here comes Cat III to liven the place up. Or die trying.

Do you have any idea of who I am? Is my username inscrutable to you? Likewise my frequently changing signatures? Does every post I make fill you with rage, but you don't know why? Live in confusion no more. Fire away any and all questions you have. Can't promise I'll be at liberty to answer them all, but it won't hurt to try.

A quick primer for those that have better things to do then pay attention to strangers on the internet:
  • A huge fan of horror and regularly stand up for the artistic value of stuff like Cannibal Holocaust and Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  • Can come off like a jerk, but usually it's just my sense of humor
  • Love Chinese food, especially General Tso's Chicken (sometimes known as General Chang's Chicken)
  • Blu-ray.com's resident Lupin III fanatic according to myself (proof here)
  • Write movie reviews and am always appreciative of criticism and ratings
Now, ask away. Or tell me about yourself. This is a place to start conversations.

I'll also add occasional updates with some factoid about myself or describe recent events in my life. Also, expect short reviews of films, TV shows, video games and other stuff I get an urge to write about.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

So let's start out with a weird tidbit about myself. I like chicks with big noses. What exactly do I mean by that? Let's give some examples:

...and of course the lovely gal seen in my avatar:

It's not fetishistic thing. I just like it. So there.

Last edited by Cat III; 01-23-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

I like writing film reviews myself, but I haven't finished one in quite a while. Here's a sample though, if you're interested...
Attached Files
File Type: txt Phantom_Opera.txt (10.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #4

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

I'm guessing you're a fan of Penelope Cruz as well then. I think she's absolutely stunning, but I'm personally not a fan of women with big noses.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Collector View Post
Hey Cat. We both share the love of Sofia's big nose (don't care, she's a hotty still) and General Tso's chicken! I see you urrverrywhurrr on blu-ray land but that's a good thing.
General Tso's chicken is fried chicken covered in delicious sauce that is sweet and spicy. Who couldn't love that?

I do maintain a wide presence on this site. You're new but I've already seen you around a lot. You been lurking for awhile or just decide to jump in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
I'm guessing you're a fan of Penelope Cruz as well then. I think she's absolutely stunning, but I'm personally not a fan of women with big noses.
Eh, she's okay looking. A great actress though. Still need to pick up Volver one of these days.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Collector View Post
Brand spanking new to this site, been in the make believe industry 15 years or so though. Figured I'd say hey and just be a ninja here and there. 93% of the time though I just say things to see how people react. I totally forgot to ask ya a question though so here's a free bump. If you freely had any amount of cash to play with besides just being retired and catching rays and sipping lemonade on the beach, what profession would you have?
That's a hard one. I'd probably say a visual artist of some sort. Would love to be a cartoonist. That's a dream I've had since I was a kid. Would also like to have some art shown in galleries so that I could reassure myself I am a serious artist.

Writer is another profession I would like to have. Fiction would be great, but I don't know that I have the willpower and focus to pull that off. Maybe a short screenplay. Blogger is more my speed. Like I said earlier I write movie reviews. Who wouldn't like to have 'film critic' as their job title? Could also write about politics and other serious subjects.

Lastly, and I'm not joking about this, I've recently wondered who controls those drones we send overseas. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I think I could get a handle of it. That way I could serve my country while remaining as lazy, fat, stupid and safe as I am now. Plus I could surreptitiously fire a hellfire missile on my personal enemies. (Okay, maybe I was joking a little )
Old 01-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #7

May 2014
Oklahoma

Alright, knowing you're into horror and punk, I can probably ask you an endless amount of questions, but I'll start with the most obvious:

Favorite horror film ever and why?
Old 01-13-2015, 12:45 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomentsAgo View Post
Favorite horror film ever and why?
I'll have to cheat and answer with two films, which also happen to be my favorite films overall. That's Alien and May.

First Alien. It is the pinnacle of suspense. So much has been written and said about the film that it would be hard to add any new thoughts, but let me try. At its core, Alien is a Darwinian tale. It taps into an ancient, animal part of our brains.

Unlike most horror, especially the slasher films that gained popularity around the same time, there is no moral component. The creature acts on instinct. It can no more be guilty of murder than the shark in Jaws. I think there is something reassuring, if only minutely so, about knowing that your killer has committed sins for which he will be punished, in the afterlife if not this one. The universe of Alien is one of survival not morality. Falling victim to the alien is natural selection at work. It is a consequence of one's ability, intelligence, and luck.

That last one plays a major role in the film.
[Show spoiler]Dallas was by no means an incapable or dumb person, but he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ripley is strong-willed and brave, but she could've ended up like the rest of the crew-members of the Nostromo. We all know the film so well that I think we overlook how well the screenplay keeps the viewer guessing. There's nothing to indicate that Ripley will be the one to make it through. The fact that she is the one who doesn't want to let Kane onto the ship after the alien attaches to him makes her seem to be a cold bureaucrat, which in a modern film would be a sure sign she would get killed, despite her deference to protocol being perfectly warranted.

This Darwinian aspect is enhanced by the fact that it takes place in the future on board a massive ship that's a marvel of technological advancement. Amidst the convenience and luxury of modern life, the characters are reduced to animals in a struggle against a predator of extreme deadliness.

Can't go without mentioning H.R. Giger's magnificent contributions. It's not an exaggeration to say that Giger created the modern look of sci-fi (and to a smaller extent horror). Even if his style had not become the default for science fiction films, his importance to Alien can't be overstated. How ever little its seen, the creature is such a singularly grotesque and awe-inspiring specimen. There is something beautiful about the translucent dome on long head. His design for the derelict ship is unbelievable and really sets the dark, moody tone for the movie. Nothing so alien, so completely unhuman, had been seen on film before then or indeed since. The "space jockey" is another breathtaking image. It needed no explanation. In fact, it is made all the more interesting by giving it no back-story. Wasn't it nice when filmmakers encouraged audiences to use their imaginations?

There's plenty more to say, but I think I've given you a good overview of my thoughts. I'll leave a review of May for later. Its fun talking about movies you love.
Thanks given by:
Bruisermoore (04-07-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #9

May 2014
Oklahoma

Both fantastic picks and very well said about Alien. Some really great and interesting points you bring up. O'Bannon and Shusett's screenplay is nothing short of brilliant and you are absolutely right that it really does keep you guessing. What it must have been like to be a moviegoer in 1979 and to truly experience it for the first time!

Now for some related questions:

Which version of the film do you prefer? The theatrical cut or Director's cut?

What are your thoughts on Prometheus?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #10

Jan 2015

Honestly I'm quite surprised, I figured with that name your primary interested was Hong Kong rated Category III films.

Where's the live-action Lupin in that collection?
Old 01-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Which version of the film do you prefer? The theatrical cut or Director's cut?
Theatrical cut. Not even sure if I've seen the director's cut. I'd heard that Ridley Scott only made it because Fox paid him so they could market the DVD as being the director's cut. Since you bring it up, I should probably see it so I know for sure.

Quote:
What are your thoughts on Prometheus?
Hate it. It's trash made by very skilled people which actually makes it worse since it's harder to dismiss than something like Alien vs. Predator. Apparently Ridley Scott doesn't understand what made Alien great. Not knowing the origins of the alien was part of what made it so fascinating and so terrifying. The derelict ship, the space jockey, these are beautiful images that speak for themselves and don't need someone to explain every last detail.

It had it's own problems unrelated to Alien, specifically characters making stupid decisions.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by drauch View Post
Honestly I'm quite surprised, I figured with that name your primary interested was Hong Kong rated Category III films.
You're one of the few who recognizes the reference. Others probably think my father was Cat II or something. I'm not even sure why I settled on the name since I've only seen a few Cat III films and own only one. Guess NC17 was taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drauch View Post
Where's the live-action Lupin in that collection?
Just ordered it actually. Was waiting for the right deal to come along.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #13

May 2014
Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat III View Post
Theatrical cut. Not even sure if I've seen the director's cut. I'd heard that Ridley Scott only made it because Fox paid him so they could market the DVD as being the director's cut. Since you bring it up, I should probably see it so I know for sure.
I'd never heard that about Ridley only doing it for money. Interesting.

I still prefer the theatrical cut but I'd say the Director's Cut is worth seeing as a fan of the film. Whenever you do watch it, let me know! Interested to hear your thoughts on the two cuts

I will say that I am grateful for the Director's Cut as it presented me with a chance to see the film in theaters, if anything else. That was awesome

Quote:
Hate it. It's trash made by very skilled people which actually makes it worse since it's harder to dismiss than something like Alien vs. Predator. Apparently Ridley Scott doesn't understand what made Alien great. Not knowing the origins of the alien was part of what made it so fascinating and so terrifying. The derelict ship, the space jockey, these are beautiful images that speak for themselves and don't need someone to explain every last detail.

It had it's own problems unrelated to Alien, specifically characters making stupid decisions.
I do agree with you that it's hard to dismiss. A lot like the prequel for John Carpenter's The Thing. I jumped at the chance to see that film when it came out and it was okay for what it was, but I never expected it to affect my subsequent viewings of the original like it did.

I won't say either ruins Alien or The Thing for me, but the prequels do unfortunately linger in my mind when I watch them now.

Next question:

You list Punk Rock in your interests. Is Punk your favorite genre and if so, what is it that draws you to it?
Thanks given by:
Cat III (02-05-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #14
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Do you plan on getting the silhouette edition from Japan on BD?

What about the Disney BD?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
I'd never heard that about Ridley only doing it for money. Interesting.
That's what I heard. I'll have to check if it's true. And when I see the theatrical cut, I'll be sure to give you my thoughts.

Quote:
Next question:

You list Punk Rock in your interests. Is Punk your favorite genre and if so, what is it that draws you to it?
There was a time I'd describe punk as my favorite genre. These days I wouldn't pick any single genre as the favorite. Even though my listening of punk has lessened over time, I still hold it dear and its aesthetic underpinnings still influence my own tastes.

Surfing buttholes and busting crosses taught me that skill is not the same as talent, subtlety is overrated, and rawness can be an asset. Musically I'm still most attracted to artists who make concise, direct songs. I've gotten past my prejudice against guitar solos, but whether I'm listening to soul, country, metal, or whatever, I'm more responsive to a great hook or catchy riff than to fancy noodling.

It's my thought that punk was largely a return to the basics of rock, from when rock was considered pop music. As I've gravitated towards the extreme forms of metal, my favorite bands are still the ones that have punk spirit, even when they play at the pace of sludge. That is bands like Autopsy, Pungent Stench, Nunslaughter, Darkthrone, Impiety, Impaled Nazarene (and more).

Another aspect that attracts me is the culture, the fact that there are communities (or were, at least) of people that call themselves punks, that derive their fashion, political views, and lifestyle from a form of music. I was never one of them, but I was always fascinated by the dedication and the devotion. Even as my own worldview grows farther and farther from that of the crusties and anarchos, I have a fondness for them. Similarly, the culture of black metal, while largely a reactionary movement in response to said punks, is a self-contained culture with many of the same attitudes.

Some of my taste in movies can be similarly seen as punk-influenced, like my love for Troma.

Hope that answers your question. Keep 'em coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
Do you plan on getting the silhouette edition from Japan on BD?

What about the Disney BD?
Not sure what you're referring to. Is this in the right thread?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Not sure what you're referring to. Is this in the right thread?
By "Do you plan on getting the silhouette edition from Japan on BD?" I meant this:

It's Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro on Blu-ray in the silhouette edition Japan put out in 2014. It has no English, but it's a nice collectors piece for the Lupin fan.

Edit: it seems Discotek is releasing the Blu-Ray here, I thought it was Disney.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=239189
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lupin III The Castle of Cagliostro.jpg (23.4 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by Scarface32; 02-05-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #17

May 2014
Oklahoma

Quote:
That's what I heard. I'll have to check if it's true. And when I see the theatrical cut, I'll be sure to give you my thoughts.

Quote:
There was a time I'd describe punk as my favorite genre. These days I wouldn't pick any single genre as the favorite. Even though my listening of punk has lessened over time, I still hold it dear and its aesthetic underpinnings still influence my own tastes.

Surfing buttholes and busting crosses taught me that skill is not the same as talent, subtlety is overrated, and rawness can be an asset. Musically I'm still most attracted to artists who make concise, direct songs. I've gotten past my prejudice against guitar solos, but whether I'm listening to soul, country, metal, or whatever, I'm more responsive to a great hook or catchy riff than to fancy noodling.

It's my thought that punk was largely a return to the basics of rock, from when rock was considered pop music. As I've gravitated towards the extreme forms of metal, my favorite bands are still the ones that have punk spirit, even when they play at the pace of sludge. That is bands like Autopsy, Pungent Stench, Nunslaughter, Darkthrone, Impiety, Impaled Nazarene (and more).
I would have to agree. I enjoy different music for different reasons, but of all the music I listen to, I enjoy that which finds it's roots in the basics of rock most. Flashy is fine, but straight and to the point is what I gravitate toward. The Ramones still kill it for me in that aspect.

Quote:
Another aspect that attracts me is the culture, the fact that there are communities (or were, at least) of people that call themselves punks, that derive their fashion, political views, and lifestyle from a form of music. I was never one of them, but I was always fascinated by the dedication and the devotion. Even as my own worldview grows farther and farther from that of the crusties and anarchos, I have a fondness for them. Similarly, the culture of black metal, while largely a reactionary movement in response to said punks, is a self-contained culture with many of the same attitudes.
The culture has always fascinated me as well. I've never had any real desire to be part of it outside of the music(and maybe a little of the fashion) but I admire it. The evolution of it is equally fascinating.

I have a friend who used to be big into the Punk scene in the 80s. You wouldn't know it by looking at him now. He found religion, settled down and started a family. But he's shared stories of back then and it's fun to see that little twinkle in his eye when he tells them or you talk music with him. That Punk is definitely still in there.

Quote:
Some of my taste in movies can be similarly seen as punk-influenced, like my love for Troma.
Troma, huh? Alright, next question:

Favorite Troma film?
Old 02-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
By "Do you plan on getting the silhouette edition from Japan on BD?" I meant this:

[Show spoiler]

It's Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro on Blu-ray in the silhouette edition Japan put out in 2014. It has no English, but it's a nice collectors piece for the Lupin fan.

Edit: it seems Discotek is releasing the Blu-Ray here, I thought it was Disney.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=239189
Oh, I see. Don't plan on getting the Japanese edition as those are expensive and the films are available elsewhere, though the digipaks do look damn fine. Definitely am going to get Discotek's BD. Got the DVD last week and it looks quite good, plus the features are top notch so I have high expectations for the BD. It will be the fifth edition of the film I've bought, but that's cool.

Quote:
I would have to agree. I enjoy different music for different reasons, but of all the music I listen to, I enjoy that which finds it's roots in the basics of rock most. Flashy is fine, but straight and to the point is what I gravitate toward. The Ramones still kill it for me in that aspect.
Ramones are great. Remember borrowing a bunch of punk CD's from a friend in high school and when I first popped in Road to Ruin to hear this legendary band I thought, "This is really simple. I don't know that I like it." But by the time it finished I thought, "I love these guys!" They're popular for good reason. Just last year I got their first four albums on vinyl. Great stuff.

Quote:
The culture has always fascinated me as well. I've never had any real desire to be part of it outside of the music(and maybe a little of the fashion) but I admire it. The evolution of it is equally fascinating.

I have a friend who used to be big into the Punk scene in the 80s. You wouldn't know it by looking at him now. He found religion, settled down and started a family. But he's shared stories of back then and it's fun to see that little twinkle in his eye when he tells them or you talk music with him. That Punk is definitely still in there.
Yeah, I had a lot of friends who were big into punk in high school. They didn't live in squats or anything, but they did have ear gauges, spiked hair, and all that. Some of them got into radical lefty politics and that sort of stuff. After high school two of those same guys ended up in the military. Don't let anyone tell you people don't change.

Quote:
Troma, huh? Alright, next question:

Favorite Troma film?
I'm gonna be really predictable and go with The Toxic Avenger. There's something magical about that film. Some other good titles they've distributed that don't have the same name recognition are Lollilove (featuring James Gunn and Jenna Fischer), Suicide (artsy found footage), Screamplay (weird black and white comedy horror), Jefftowne (wonderful shot-on-the-cheap documentary about a man with down syndrome), the various films of Giuseppe Andrews (crazy low-budget transgressive beyond all belief slices of lower class life), and the making of Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV and Poultreygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (likely the best documents of the process of filmmaking, no joke).
Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Might as well post one of those updates I hinted at doing in the OP.

I've got a new avatar. Here's a closer look at it:

new amy av 10.jpg

I think it's one of the best shots of Amy I've found so far. Love the blue and yellow. Do wish you could see it better, but it's about time we had a full body shot.

Also, have a new signature. Anyone get the reference? You get points if you do. :

If you see your mother this weekend, would you be sure to tell her...

[Show spoiler]SATAN!

Last week I downloaded Metroid Prime Trilogy for my Wii U. First time I've ever played the third game and it's had me hooked (just finished it earlier today). This series is one that leads me to consider that video games may indeed be an art form. The beauty of the environments is overwhelming. Feels like you're traveling real alien worlds filled with lovingly crafted architecture and an actual ecosystem of strange flora and fauna.

Last edited by Cat III; 02-26-2015 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #20

May 2014
Oklahoma

Quote:
Ramones are great. Remember borrowing a bunch of punk CD's from a friend in high school and when I first popped in Road to Ruin to hear this legendary band I thought, "This is really simple. I don't know that I like it." But by the time it finished I thought, "I love these guys!" They're popular for good reason. Just last year I got their first four albums on vinyl. Great stuff.
I absolutely love them. One of my favorite bands of all time. And having said that, I have yet to buy any of the vinyl reissues. They're so cheap now, I don't really know why I haven't yet.

Quote:
Yeah, I had a lot of friends who were big into punk in high school. They didn't live in squats or anything, but they did have ear gauges, spiked hair, and all that. Some of them got into radical lefty politics and that sort of stuff. After high school two of those same guys ended up in the military. Don't let anyone tell you people don't change.
It's funny what a little time can do. I once swore I'd never have any tattoos and now I'm getting ready to get my fourth soon.

Quote:
I'm gonna be really predictable and go with The Toxic Avenger. There's something magical about that film. Some other good titles they've distributed that don't have the same name recognition are Lollilove (featuring James Gunn and Jenna Fischer), Suicide (artsy found footage), Screamplay (weird black and white comedy horror), Jefftowne (wonderful shot-on-the-cheap documentary about a man with down syndrome), the various films of Giuseppe Andrews (crazy low-budget transgressive beyond all belief slices of lower class life), and the making of Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV and Poultreygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (likely the best documents of the process of filmmaking, no joke).
Toxic Avenger, like you said about the Ramones, is popular for good reason. It's such a gem with a little something for everyone! How do you like the sequels?

I LOVE Lollilove and Suicide. I'm always recommending Lollilove to people. I've heard about Screamplay for years but I've never found a copy anywhere. I suppose I should just break down and order it online. Haven't heard of the documentaries but I'll see if I can track them down and give them a watch! I have seen the making of Citizen Toxie and Poultreygeist. Good stuff

Have you seen The Taint yet? Troma just started distributing it a year or two ago I believe.

Quote:
Also, have a new signature. Anyone get the reference? You get points if you do.
[Show spoiler]
What does regret mean?

Quote:
Last week I downloaded Metroid Prime Trilogy for my Wii U. First time I've ever played the third game and it's had me hooked (just finished it earlier today). This series is one that leads me to consider that video games may indeed be an art form. The beauty of the environments is overwhelming. Feels like you're traveling real alien worlds filled with lovingly crafted architecture and an actual ecosystem of strange flora and fauna.
GREAT game! Is this on Virtual Console now?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Member Personal Pages

Tags
cat iii, conversation, member personal pages, questions