Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Shenmue III (PS4)
$9.99
1 day ago
NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$69.70

Wolfenstein: Alt History Collection (PS4)
$36.04
4 hrs ago
XIII (PS4)
$24.00

Street Fighter V (PS4)
$20.99
1 day ago
NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$29.97

Who Wants to Be A Millionare (PS4)
$19.99

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (PS4)
$19.93

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV (PS4)
$39.99

NHL 21 Ultimate Edition (PS4)
$42.97

The Last of Us Part II (PS4)
$29.83

DiRT 5 (PS4)
$34.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 06-15-2018, 05:54 AM   #21
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Thanks given by:
Lovemy3D (10-28-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 01:50 AM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Oh here is the Soulcalibur thread. Isn't anyone else playing this? I'm not even sure when it was released Just saw it at Walmart and got it.

I've been practicing a bit with Mitsurugi in training mode. figuring some stuff out. I take back my earlier assessment in the what game did you just purchase thread. It's damn good. Very glad I got it now.

My biggest complaint right now is when you look at the move list. Why the frick are the buttons labeled as ABKG instead of square triangle circle X? Am I missing something? Or is that just dumb and confusing as hell? They really want me to read it and remember A=square. B=triangle K=circle. G=X. ? Why make it so damn confusing to read the move list! Lol. Anyways I've been figuring out a lot of moves by trial and error. It's a blast though, awesome. I could see myself putting a lot of hours into this one. Especially if I started getting into playing with live players online. I can see making some good friends to battle with on a regular basis online. I never played a fighting game online before.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 10-23-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:46 AM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
the Anals of Uranus

Attack Block Kick Guard ? Been awhile since i played series. based on trophy list sounds like they made some changes
Thanks given by:
Lovemy3D (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 06:01 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodintentions View Post
Attack Block Kick Guard ? Been awhile since i played series. based on trophy list sounds like they made some changes
Yeah I think that's what it's supposed to be. Hard for me to read it that way though. I figured quite a bit out already without using the list much. Graduated to hard mode. Beat it on hard mode. Got some SP points I'm not sure what the points do yet. Then played some training with Cervantes set to hard for about two hours. I'm loving this game now.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:26 PM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Just beat arcade mode on very hard and unlocked legendary difficulty. The final fight with the Azwel character was pretty tough until I figured out a series of moves that worked well against him. Then I destroyed him pretty quickly. Even got a perfect in one of the fights with him. That felt good since he was beating my ass for a little bit there. I'm glad to see there is another higher difficulty level.

They should have made Geralt from Witcher tougher. He seems like one of the easiest characters to beat. I got a perfect on him right away on very hard. Maybe (hopefully) Geralt will be much more intense on legendary mode. Kilik was pretty tough for me.

Decided I'm going to have to write the moves list down on a piece of paper in a better language that I can read and understand more easily and quickly. Too confusing the way they have it set up. Bad decision by the developers to set it up that way. I'm not seeing a way to change it to square triangle circle X either. So I'm just going to have re-write it myself... Will be easier to look at a piece of paper than pull up the move list anyways.

Maybe I'm just a dullard but when I pull up the moves list and try to remember it and they are showing back down A B k blah blah whatever. I'm sitting taking too long trying to figure it out in my head. Okay A square B triangle k circle. Then I try to remember square triangle circle. Then as soon as I close the move list I get confused and forget what the hell it was supposed to be. So I have to go back and decipher the code again lol. Very annoying. My brain is already trained to know exactly where circle triangle square X are instantly without looking. Not ABKG...

Edit: Also interesting and I kind of like that the fights are now the best three out of four instead of two out of three. Is that common for fighting games nowadays?

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 10-23-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (10-25-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

I tried legendary difficulty for a while last night. Now, that, is a difficult setting. Awesome... Just when I was starting to feel like I was getting good lol. I got schooled. Couldn't get past the first guy. I have a lot of practicing still to do. Well I've only had the game a couple of days.

They gave me Kilik first. I think I managed to win one fight. And get lucky with knocking him out of the ring once. But managed to win one fight legit somehow. And get him down to a sliver of health a few times. Seems almost lucky just to get a couple hits in. He comes at you so fast and takes so much damage in seconds. Hard to block him or stop him as you just get the crap beat out of you in a flurry of non stop attacks.

I tried one of the story modes. Not into it. I was tired bored and falling asleep during it. I play the game for the fights.... They let you fight here and there during the story, on a super easy setting though. But that's good because I didn't even feel like doing it at all and if it was diifucult I wouldn't have bothered. I was just wondering if I would get something out of it. It kept going on and on I finally quit it. A waste of time really. But a nice option I guess for those interested in it.

I didn't try the other story mode yet where it says you create a character and they take you across the world. I think maybe that's the one where they have training tutorials because I think I read at the begining of the game they highly recommend doing the story for the training aspect. So going to try that one of these days see what it's like, and hopefully learn some new tricks. There is a lot I don't know yet.

Just have a basic core set of moves and combos I'm getting familiar with. Gradually learn and add more tricks to throw in little by little. There is a lot to learn.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 10-24-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Even though I was able to beat arcade mode on very hard I realize I was trying to take on too much too soon.

I dialed things back. Set training mode back to normal difficulty. Went back to basics. Just practice and practice timing and distance. Reflexive blocking, dodging, counters parry. Learned a few new moves. Was beginning to really feel it. Almost forgot how much I love a good fighting game especially when you can use this type of sword play.

Watched a couple youtube videos and learned a few things about the game play that I wasn't aware of.

I think next time I'm out at the store I'm going to pick up some PS cash and get the season pass.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #28
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Thanks for the details on this game Lovemy3D. Sounds good. I've always been a fan of fighting games, and especially the Samurai Shodown series from SNK, so I'll have to revisit Soul Calibur again.
Thanks given by:
Lovemy3D (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Thanks for the details on this game Lovemy3D. Sounds good. I've always been a fan of fighting games, and especially the Samurai Shodown series from SNK, so I'll have to revisit Soul Calibur again.
You're going to like it.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Chicago

2B from Nier Automata officially confirmed as a guest character

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-soulcalibur-6
Thanks given by:
Lovemy3D (10-28-2018), Zivouhr (10-27-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 04:42 AM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_XRS View Post
2B from Nier Automata officially confirmed as a guest character

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-soulcalibur-6
Thank you.

She looks like a pretty cool character. Nice that there is an exra stage too. It looks like a nice arena. I just got the season pass so hopefully there is plenty of new characters and other content coming for it to make it worth the extra $30.

Played arcade mode for a little bit on very hard difficulty again. I'm not quite sure how I managed to get through it in thirty minutes the first time I tried it set to very hard lol. It seems a lot harder now. Some intense fights. Awesome game.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:57 AM   #32
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
Oh here is the Soulcalibur thread. Isn't anyone else playing this? I'm not even sure when it was released Just saw it at Walmart and got it.

I've been practicing a bit with Mitsurugi in training mode. figuring some stuff out. I take back my earlier assessment in the what game did you just purchase thread. It's damn good. Very glad I got it now.

My biggest complaint right now is when you look at the move list. Why the frick are the buttons labeled as ABKG instead of square triangle circle X? Am I missing something? Or is that just dumb and confusing as hell? They really want me to read it and remember A=square. B=triangle K=circle. G=X. ? Why make it so damn confusing to read the move list! Lol. Anyways I've been figuring out a lot of moves by trial and error. It's a blast though, awesome. I could see myself putting a lot of hours into this one. Especially if I started getting into playing with live players online. I can see making some good friends to battle with on a regular basis online. I never played a fighting game online before.
Like all fighting games or at least most, the ABKG or however the game refers to the buttons is based on Arcade console joysticks. Donít know why there isnít like a regular Sony buttons display for fighting games, but itís just how it is and that you have to learn which button does which. Just like learning what position you need to move the R3 and L3 sticks on a DualShock controller to get the moves you want.
Thanks given by:
Lovemy3D (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Like all fighting games or at least most, the ABKG or however the game refers to the buttons is based on Arcade console joysticks. Don’t know why there isn’t like a regular Sony buttons display for fighting games, but it’s just how it is and that you have to learn which button does which. Just like learning what position you need to move the R3 and L3 sticks on a DualShock controller to get the moves you want.
Didn't use to be like that though. Use to tell you the actual buttons on the controller. Oh well I'm figuring it out. It is what it is. Just weird they want to make it more difficult to read. Actually hardly even been looking at the moves list of yet, cuz of it being a pain in the ass to read lol. And takes more time trying to figure the damn thing out that way than trial and error and looking at you tube videos. Figuring a little more out every time I play it though.

Saw where there is a tutorial info section so when I have more time I'm going to read through some of that and see what I can get out of it.

I'm sure at some point I'll have played it so much I'll have retrained my brain to think ABKG more automatically and just discard the whole triangle circle square x. Then be confused again when playing a game based on triangle circle square x lol.

Edit: Funny how confused I got first time I looked at the moves list though. And then looked at my controller trying to find ABK and G lol. I'm like what? Did I accidentally get the Xbox version lol. Then instantly realized how stupid that thought was since it was playing on my PS4. Didn't know WTF ABKG was supposed to be.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 10-28-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Kind of wish they give you the option to completely turn off the animated attacks if you want. At least on single player, or at the very least on training mode. They are kind of cool sometimes and look pretty awesome. I started practicing on legendary and having some awesome battles. But gets a little tiring sometimes when you just want to fight and practice moves and you have to keep stopping to watch the animation.

Have not quite figured out the proper way to block that move yet. Sometimes it blocks sometimes it doesn't. I do like the other soul charge quite a bit though where I can set my weapon a flame. I don't even really like using the other one much because it doesn't really seem like a real fight move. Just a magic button that takes near half a players damage. And a cool looking cartoon to watch during the process.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:48 AM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

My first win on legendary difficulty. Unfortunately he went out of the ring at the end of the first fight. But at least his health was just about gone so I'll take it. Too easy to go out of the ring on that stage.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 10-30-2018 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Anyone else playing this? What do you think of the reversal edge sequence? I have a mixed opinion on it, but I think it should be optional against the CPU. At least playing against a human player two people can agree not to use it if they want to.

Maybe there is a way to turn it off against the CPU in training mode? If not there really should be. I really love this game but the biggest flaw is having to deal with that reversal edge sequence especially while playing in training mode. It's worse than the animated critical attacks. The CPU does it way too often.

I'm training in legendary mode trying to practice and experiment with different moves and maneuvers at the fast pace of legendary difficulty. And I constantly have to keep stoppinig to deal with that stupid reversal edge sequence because the CPU keeps doing it again and again. Drives me fricking buggy lol. As awesome as the game is otherwise it takes a lot of fun out of it.

I just want to fricking fight... lol.

The CPU will sometimes start a reversal edge sequence four times back to back. That's too much. Though admittedly it's much more annoying when practicing, trying to figure out some move, than it is when it happens in the middle of a good fight. There are times when it adds epicness to a battle. But there are times when you just don't want it, especially when it's over and over again.

Edit: Just figured it out. Just need to practice seeing it coming because there is a slight wind up to it. Then it can be side stepped or countered before the sequence can be set in motion. Just successfully avoided it twice in a row.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 10-30-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Here you can see where I easily avoided her reversal edge attack. I heard her say "hiya" and I stepped aside just as she swung it at me. But then I got hit by the next one when she did it again right away and I missed it the second time.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #38

Nov 2010
Minnesota

I had this on the Xbox and played it on a X. I enjoyed it for a while, and then grinded for all the achievements and sold it. It's a fine gameplay engine, but the game lacks content. Not enough completely different characters, too few stages, and almost none that are memorable. Everything else seemed mediocre to me. Also, the loading is terrible, even off an external hard drive. Loading between rounds on some modes....that's a bit much.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzy1 View Post
I had this on the Xbox and played it on a X. I enjoyed it for a while, and then grinded for all the achievements and sold it. It's a fine gameplay engine, but the game lacks content. Not enough completely different characters, too few stages, and almost none that are memorable. Everything else seemed mediocre to me. Also, the loading is terrible, even off an external hard drive. Loading between rounds on some modes....that's a bit much.
Interesting. Agree there isn't a lot of characters I would like to use but I only need one good sword fighter that I love. And there are plenty that are a blast to fight against, especially on the hardest setting. You are different than I, since I don't care about all the extra content at all, story and museum and all that. I don't even care much about the creation mode. If I didn't like the fighting I just wouldn't play it. Though I'll be happy to see what all extra characters and arenas they add. I just love the fights, and weapon use. I could play in training and VS all day and not grind for anything, other than skill development. And there is a lot to learn combat wise.

I agree there should be more stages, there isn't a lot of them that I really like a lot. I'm looking forward to the new one they announced, with the new character. That stage looks pretty cool. I tend to like the brighter stages more. That's why I was playing in the sunken desert. I like how that stage looks a lot, but it's too easy to ring out there. That's okay in training mode, but I prefer not to win with a ring out if I can help it. I want to win legit. And I don't want to win with the critical attack button either. It's fine for a spectacular finishing move when the opponent is near dead already. But I don't want to win because of it.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 10-30-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #40

Nov 2010
Minnesota

I don't care about fluff content at all. I don't like cut scenes, story modes, etc, basically anything that takes the gameplay away from me. Character creation doesn't do anything for me either.

I do like mission and challenge modes though. Having said that, I need a lot of variety and quality variety. I like to play as many characters as possible, and play on as many stages as possible. However, if the characters or stages aren't that great and/or too few, it will lose me quickly. SC6 didn't provide enough and what it did provide, wasn't that great to me.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4