Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Shenmue III (PS4)
$9.99
1 day ago
NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$69.70

Wolfenstein: Alt History Collection (PS4)
$36.04
3 hrs ago
XIII (PS4)
$24.00

Street Fighter V (PS4)
$20.99
1 day ago
Who Wants to Be A Millionare (PS4)
$19.99

NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$29.97

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (PS4)
$19.93

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV (PS4)
$39.99

NHL 21 Ultimate Edition (PS4)
$42.97

DiRT 5 (PS4)
$34.96

Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire (PS4)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 10-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzy1 View Post
I don't care about fluff content at all. I don't like cut scenes, story modes, etc, basically anything that takes the gameplay away from me. Character creation doesn't do anything for me either.

I do like mission and challenge modes though. Having said that, I need a lot of variety and quality variety. I like to play as many characters as possible, and play on as many stages as possible. However, if the characters or stages aren't that great and/or too few, it will lose me quickly. SC6 didn't provide enough and what it did provide, wasn't that great to me.
I've always prefered to focus on getting as good as I can get with one character. Maybe learn another secondary one at some point.

Is there any other fighting games with that style of bad ass weapon use out there? I'm not sure what is all out there, or what is involved with them. I've never played a fighter with more fun weapon use than Soul Calibur. I prefer the 3D style too. I love the character I'm using and so far all of the others have been a blast to fight against on the more difficult settings. Though I could skip Voldo. He doesn't do much for me.

During arcade you don't have to watch the lead in cut scenes if that's what you mean by cut scenes. I got tired of sitting through those at first too, but figured out the button that skips through them right to the fight.

I'm only playing Arcade, VS, and Training mode. I tried both story modes just a little and didn't like either, at least not at this time. Possibly some day if I feel like exploring something different than just the arena combat I'll give it a try again.

I can just imagine how fun this game gets online with human players, especially if there is a couple people you battle with regularly and there is voice chat. But I don't know how the online works I've never done a fighting game online yet. (well of course there is always the party chat.) So there would be chat if you are playing with the same group of players.

Edit: Well there was Samurai Shodown of course back in the day. But as much fun as that was back then it's nothing compared to this Soul Calibur game we have today.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 10-30-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:14 AM   #42
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzy1 View Post
Also, the loading is terrible, even off an external hard drive. Loading between rounds on some modes....that's a bit much.
I've been thinking about this comment as I play looking for abnormally long load times. I'm not seeing any at all so I don't know what you mean by that. Also not sure what you mean about cut scenes other than the opening comments the characters make at the beginning of the match which are easily skipped with a push of a button.

Didn't the game just come out recently? Doesn't sound like you had it that long if so. Did you manage to beat arcade mode on legendary at least before giving up? I'm still struggling to win one round against one character on legendary even though I managed to beat Geralt, after several hours of trying... And he is the easiest character to beat. It's so tough. But that's a good thing, I love it. I can't wait to get the chance to fight Inferno on this version of the game.

This is my main issue with the game. The CPU spamming the reversal edge sequence. Other than that it's nothing but fun... At least I'm learning how to overcome it. And it is satisfying out maneuvering the attack. But look how many times in a row The CPU tries to pull it on me... I did a good job of avoiding it here. But there really should be an option to turn it off in single player at least. A lot of people hate it. It's not just me.

You can see when she tries to start the reversal edge on me, her weapon starts turning pink. I side stepped it a few times, and managed to stop it with a slash to her face. But most times if in the middle of an attack or block it will smash through your attack or block and pull you into the animated sequence. This was a close fight. But I've still not managed to beat her even in one fight in VS mode yet, at least not without a ring out happening.

I can use the move too, of course. But I'm uninterested in using it at all, and won't, ever. Unless I just happen to accidently hit the button that starts it. Which can happen. I also will never use the critical attacks on purpose, except maybe as a finishing move if I already feel like I'm going to win. I'm uninterested in winning a fight because of the push of one button that lets an animation do all the work for me.

I seem to be getting into the habit of getting up at 3 or 4 am and playing for a few hours while I have my caffeine and wait for the sun to come up. Seems like a good time to burn a couple hours on it, and a fun way to wake up in the morning.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 10-31-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:56 PM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Damn, have not even started practicing these kind of combos yet. Going to have to dial things back again and learn some of these tricks.

Awesome battle. How can you not like this?

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 10-31-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #44
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Looks cool. Thanks for the details. It's good to see each match last more than a few seconds like some fighting games. That last fight there went on a good while, which is how I prefer it.

The woman with the spear was always another favorite fighter of mine aside from Mitsurugi.
Thanks given by:
Lovemy3D (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 02:21 AM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Looks cool. Thanks for the details. It's good to see each match last more than a few seconds like some fighting games. That last fight there went on a good while, which is how I prefer it.

The woman with the spear was always another favorite fighter of mine aside from Mitsurugi.
Yeah when there is a couple evenly matched players it can take a while. Those are the best fights when it's just back and forth chipping away at each other just a little bit at a time. I always turn the timers off now whenever possible. Since one of my frined and I that use to battle with all the time, our fights started taking longer than timer count down. Annoying being in the middle of an intense fight and suddenly the timer runs out on you.

Seong Mina. yeah, I don't remember if I ever I played her character but I always liked fighting against her, and bringing her into practice mode sometimes. I was glad to see they kept her in the game. She is tough on legend difficult. I fought her 20 something times on VS today and never won more than a round here and there, and a couple ring outs. Never got three wins on her. Maybe next time.

Felt like I was doing pretty good against her in pratice mode yesterday though.

Funny/kind of annoying thing in this version you can get all your cloths knocked off you. Mina had my Mitsurugi fighting in nothing but a loin cloth and started smaking him in the nuts with that spear lol. It's funny but I hate when my character loses his cloths.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 11-01-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:23 PM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Watched a few live streams of this. I notice a lot of people using custom designed characters. Most of which look a bit dumb if you ask me lol. Makes the game look kind of silly. Not sure why people would rather use goofy looking character like that. But I guess people like it. "Shrugs"
Old 11-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #47
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Just for the heck of it I wasted a little playing time creating this monstrosity with the character creation mode. It's basically just another version of Astaroth since it uses his fighting style.

Edit: The creation mode is kind of a fun option for people to play around with if they want. But I'm not sure about it. Think it might ruin the online play aspect of the game. If all people are doing is playing with these characters they are creating. For example. If I come up against someone that likes playing with Kilik, and is pretty good with Kilik. I'd rather be having an intense battle playing someone with a character that looks like Kilik. Not some stupid weird skinny thing with that is wearing a purple jumpsuit and has a giant pink afro for hair that fights the way Kilik fights.

I want to give the online a try but if all there ever is playing, is dumb silly characters all the time, I'm going to skip the online and stick with the actual characters in single player.

Though I saw a guy that made a karate character that was using Maxi's fight style and weapons that was actually much cooler looking to see than Maxi lol. I always thought Maxi was a dumb character because he looks like some weird dorky Elvis, wielding nunchucks. And I've never been much of an Elvis fan. Maybe I'd like him more if I was... His fight style actually looked pretty cool coming from a character that looks like a Karate character.

Edit again: Changed my mind about the character customizing lol. Made just a couple of adjustments to my Mitsurugi's outfit and made him look much more bad ass. Especially when his sword is set to flames. But still some of the stuff some people are making... I saw someone using a Yoshimitsu that looked like a girl in a bra and panties lol. I think it was supposed to be a swimsuit though. I was like WTF. Just looked weird.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 11-02-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:36 AM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

OMG I just pulled this combo off... Pretty Excited I figured it out. Wasn't sure I could do it it's tricky. Probably even cooler with the soul charge activated.

A better look at the adjustments I made to Misturugi's outfit in creation mode. I guess creation mode is alright after all.

Implementing my new combo in battle for the first time. Wasn't sure I could pull it off in the heat of battle but looks like I got it. It's only on hard difficulty though. Playing on hard mode because it's slow enough to practice moves and still fast enough that if you make mistakes the CPU can still do a lot of damage pretty quickly. And I've been trying to get the guard impact/parry down too which is an awesome defensive move when you can time it right.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 11-03-2018 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #49
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

I'm enjoying this also.

I'm not an expert or hardcore fighting gamer at all though. Since I like how these games were back in the day, I only play arcade and occasionally vs mode when I have a friend over but that's it. Playing a couple of matches in arcade is always a good way to kill some time before going to work for example.
Thanks given by:
Lovemy3D (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
I'm enjoying this also.

I'm not an expert or hardcore fighting gamer at all though. Since I like how these games were back in the day, I only play arcade and occasionally vs mode when I have a friend over but that's it. Playing a couple of matches in arcade is always a good way to kill some time before going to work for example.
Well it's good to hear at least one other person on this forum is playing this besides me lol.

Yeah fighting games are good for putting in and killing a little time with. And great for entertainment at get-to-gethers, people can take turns fighting each other. I think this is actually two player compatible.

The only thing I don't like about it compared to the old fighting games is the animated critical attacks and the reversal edge sequence. Especially hate the reversal edge since the CPU sometimes starts doing it over and over. And the entire match is either trying to avoid it or be caught in it. I'm hoping they fix that issue. It ruins the game. I play in training mode a lot at least if I get caught in it there I can hit the reset button to get out of it.

At least when playing with human players people can choose not to use that stupid aspect of the game. Sounds like most people hate it, and watching a few streams of the game online I'm not seeing people use it much.

Other than that I'm really amazed at the variety of different moves and complexity to it that the old games didn't have. Just so many moves and so many different ways you can put them all together. Such a cool feeling to the play style once you start getting a good system going.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 11-03-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 11:33 PM   #51

Dec 2010
Terra Firma

Why is there no entry for this game to add to your collections for any console (PS4)? I have the Deluxe Edition. It is not searchable or anything.

UPDATE: Someone put it for Xone under Soulcalibur, not Soul Calibur. "shakes head" I have submitted one for Deluxe Edition for PS4.

Last edited by KulasDevorn; 11-04-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulasDevorn View Post
Why is there no entry for this game to add to your collections for any console (PS4)? I have the Deluxe Edition. It is not searchable or anything.

UPDATE: Someone put it for Xone under Soulcalibur, not Soul Calibur. "shakes head" I have submitted one for Deluxe Edition for PS4.
Sounds like you figured it out.

I think if I learn a secondary character it's going to be Groh. He is a bad ass with a really cool fighting style and weapon. I love how his blade comes apart to be used as two separate blades, one in each hand.

I think the secret to getting good on legendary difficulty is mastering the guard impact/parry. Since the CPU comes at you so relentlessly you need the guard impact to hold them off. The guard impact is tricky. Takes a quick eye and quick reflexes to get the timing right. But when you're getting it it's one of the most satisfying moves ever.

Here is a little clip of me practicing the guard impact against Groh on legendary difficulty. And stopping his reversal edge attacks a couple of times too, which always feel good. Was just doing little jabs and slashes at him to try and get him to come back with a quick swing of his own so I could try and time the guard impact. If you do it right and are quick you can use the opening the guard impact gives you to get a nice combo in. And if one could really get good with guard impacting incoming attacks, could be damn near unstoppable I think.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 11-04-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

Getting better with guard impact/parry. Here is a little clip I save where I was using the guard impact and side stepping to give Groh a tough time training on legendary difficult.

Start getting good at throwing some good combos in there too and could really start doing some damage. I like that little combo where I side step cut into his side, then impale him afterwards. That's pretty bad ass.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #54
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Virtual Reality

This should be a helpful video for anyone wanting to learn Mitsurugi. I know I'll be getting a lot of use out of it.

This one is really good too. I like how the moves are shown in slow motion.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 11-07-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:46 PM   #55
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

I picked up the regular version of this for PS4 for $35 during the black Friday early access sale from Best Buy. I also have a Sony Rewards credit card and had enough points to get a $20 psn code, so I put that towards the season pass (paying the $10 difference "out of pocket"), and got the whole thing for $45.

I've been enjoying the character creation mode a lot. It's always been an aspect of Soul Calibur that I enjoy. I actually don't think I've even played the game as one of the actual regular non-custom characters yet. LOL

I'm a little bummed that there isn't more items to unlock for the character creation mode. I know a few things are "locked" behind the in-games points/currency, which isn't too big of a deal, but they are already there and you can see what they are. Some past titles had things that you unlock along the way, not knowing what they are ahead of time, through playing other modes, etc.

But on the other hand, having everything mostly accessible upfront at least gives me as many options as possible right away, rather than unlocking something later that would work well for a character that I want to make now. I do wish there was more pieces for customizing, but what is there is pretty good.

I've made several characters from He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (and it's spin-off She-Ra), as well as 4 versions of Shredder from TMNT. Overall I'm happy with how they turned out. Some I went back and tweaked later as I figured some tricks out that allowed them to look even more accurate (none are perfect, but some are pretty close).

I'll post some pics later when I have a chance.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #56
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:

The July 31, 2020 Japan Fighting Game Publishers Roundtable featured news about the most recent Soul Calibur game. Namely, SoulCalibur VI Setsuka DLC is on the way. She’ll arrive on August 4, 2020. But, she won’t be the only add-on out that day, as Character Creation Set E will be released too.

Setsuka debuted in SoulCalibur III, and few details were revealed for the Drifting Snow Blossom’s SoulCalibur VI debut. She has a new outfit for this entry, but still wields the Ugetsu Kageuchi. This looks like an umbrella, but actually has an iaito in its handle. She will also use the Shinden Tsushima Ryu Battoujyutsu, as usual. Her Soul Chronicle Story and creation parts will be added alongside her.

SoulCalibur VI is available for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, and you can even find it on Xbox Game Pass. The SoulCalibur VI Setsuka and Character Creation Set E add-ons will arrive on August 4, 2020.
https://www.siliconera.com/soulcalib...august-4-2020/
Thanks given by:
Bolo Seagull (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 11:50 PM   #57
Special Member

May 2016

I'm really happy about this. Love this character and I like how they've redesigned her and her stage is beautiful. I definitely wanted more Japanese stages and this one and Haohmaru's have filled that gap for me.

I'm guessing the final character of this season pass will be another legacy character. I know lots of people want Hwang. But I'd actually love another guest character. I was wondering if maybe Bandai Namco would go for some cross marketing and try to work a 'Scarlet Nexus' character in.

I hope they just keep building on this game.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #58
Special Member

May 2016

Hwang is the final DLC character of season 2, but hopefully not the final DLC.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4