Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 day ago
Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
16 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34

Shadow in the Cloud (Blu-ray)
$19.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 09-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #21
Power Member

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsVA View Post
With DVDs, we were able to sell to Indian stores across US to recoup some of the costs and any sales to customers online was seen as bonus sale. I think the highest number of DVDs we sold on our site then was EVPs Okkadu. Probably around 500 over 2-years time. We were almost the only site selling online then. The only DVD that made profit for us was Satyam and Missamma (new).
In my city all the Indian audio/video stores closed years ago, and the few grocery stores that rented Indian movies stopped renting them. Maybe there are one or two somewhere that I don't know about. And this is in a major city with a major Indian population. I don't know how it is in other US cities.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #22

May 2009

Quote:
Our Telugu producers don't care about their movie after first few weeks of run. So, forget the extras (trailers, deleted scenes, etc). Even if the company wants to do all that they will be under constant pressure to get the BD fast to market before pirated copies of the movie hit the market. So, they will rush to make BD and get it out. I am saying this having been in DVD business as one of the partners in iDeamDVD. We thought of adding extras on couple of our DVDs but we always had to rush to get the DVD to stores before pirated copies get to them.

Even if the Blu-ray is made almost perfect like with all the features we are dreaming, the sales of Telugu Blu-ray will still be pathetic. Even close friends of mine wanted to borrow our DVDs from me to watch for free instead of renting from stores. Couple of them even openly borrowed to copy them :-(.

With DVDs, we were able to sell to Indian stores across US to recoup some of the costs and any sales to customers online was seen as bonus sale. I think the highest number of DVDs we sold on our site then was EVPs Okkadu. Probably around 500 over 2-years time. We were almost the only site selling online then. The only DVD that made profit for us was Satyam and Missamma (new).

With Blu-rays, I doubt there are any sales to Indian stores as rentals. I doubt if sites like Bhavani are able to sell more than couple of 100s BDs on super hit movies. The sales might actually be worse now with high speed internet which enables many to download or stream from illegal sites.

The only hope for Baahubali is IF Rajamouli takes it as passion and work with the makers of BD - which is unlikely to happen, as he will be lost for the next year in making 'The Conclusion'.
You make some very valid points and probably reflect the consumer reality. I am always amazed as to how people spend big $$ for Home Theater equipment and then view content that is so compressed and downright pathetic!

From the sales numbers you mentioned, I think any form of physical media is truly turning out to be a niche market. The companies that author them should perhaps change their strategy to focus on these customers who may be willing to pay a little extra for quality content (like the Criterion model). Chasing after the masses, who could care less about quality, may not be in their best interest. I think there is money to be made thru quality streaming services like Netflix and Hulu (for mass consumption) but physical media may only exist in niche circles in the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragun View Post
In my city all the Indian audio/video stores closed years ago, and the few grocery stores that rented Indian movies stopped renting them. Maybe there are one or two somewhere that I don't know about. And this is in a major city with a major Indian population. I don't know how it is in other US cities.
I live is a smaller midwest city and the Indian stores here (about 7 or 8 of them) stopped DVD rentals about 3 or 4 years ago. At one time, certain stores were burning pirated discs to a DVD and giving it away to customers who purchased over $25 in groceries. But even that was not very attractive for customers since they were downloading this crap themselves at home!
Old 09-12-2015, 11:36 PM   #23

Dec 2009

Quote:
Our Telugu producers don't care about their movie after first few weeks of run. So, forget the extras (trailers, deleted scenes, etc). Even if the company wants to do all that they will be under constant pressure to get the BD fast to market before pirated copies of the movie hit the market. So, they will rush to make BD and get it out. I am saying this having been in DVD business as one of the partners in iDeamDVD. We thought of adding extras on couple of our DVDs but we always had to rush to get the DVD to stores before pirated copies get to them.

Even if the Blu-ray is made almost perfect like with all the features we are dreaming, the sales of Telugu Blu-ray will still be pathetic. Even close friends of mine wanted to borrow our DVDs from me to watch for free instead of renting from stores. Couple of them even openly borrowed to copy them :-(.

With Blu-rays, I doubt there are any sales to Indian stores as rentals. I doubt if sites like Bhavani are able to sell more than couple of 100s BDs on super hit movies. The sales might actually be worse now with high speed internet which enables many to download or stream from illegal sites.

The only hope for Baahubali is IF Rajamouli takes it as passion and work with the makers of BD - which is unlikely to happen, as he will be lost for the next year in making 'The Conclusion'.
I think the movie studios should take over the physical media releasing process entirely. This is how Hollywood manages it and it's successful for them. This way the online stores can simply act as a selling platform for the studios rather than the ones buying the rights and risking money. As the studios are releasing directly they would be able to add a lot of special features to make the physical media more attractive.

They should also make the movie avilable to be purchased from Amazon.com (Snapdeal and Flipkart for India), including allowing to buy digital version on Amazon Video, Paid Youtube, Hulu, Netflix and iTunes. This opens the door for reaching a larger number of people and thus higher sales.

I have some guests too who would ask me if I could lend them my Blu-ray and I used to tell them to watch it at my place if they want to. I know that's rude, but I try to say it in a nice way saying that my home theater has better set up so they will enjoy it more if they watch at my place. Lately I don't tell anyone what physical media I buy, and I put them in a closed shelf so no one can see. lol
Old 09-13-2015, 08:10 AM   #24

Oct 2009
Sherman Oaks , California
Default I will always buy physical media

I order my blu rays and dvd's from india shipped to los angeles and its economical , i have a projector in my home theatre-epson 5030 and 140 inch screen, and 7.1 set up, there is no way i am going to watch a pirated 20 rupee burnt dvd on computer that will get stuck and is full of noise, and crappy audio, or watch streaming which works half the time. Movie are something i collect and play back and watch with family and friends and i will always buy blu rays and i know a lot of people like me, so the industry has nothing to worry about. Watching a $15 blu ray in dolby dts with your friends is a meal at mcdonalds, if you cant afford that , but can spend $50 at a theatre with popcorn for a new release , truly i feel sad. It is like having a presciption for eyesight and choosing not to wear glasses and seeing the world blurry, if we don't do that with you eyesight why with our movies.

With 1 billion indians in the world i am sure we can sell more than 300 copies of a blu ray, or something is wrong.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #25
Expert Member

Feb 2013
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by annayya View Post
I don't tell anyone what physical media I buy, and I put them in a closed shelf so no one can see. lol
I do opposite, I tell them what media I use. Even I encourage them to get into this business and never see back (in actual you can't go back)
One of my friend has started his journey and purchased few BDs without having a Blu-ray player (he has to buy player very soon)

It's obvious, in the beginning mostly people buy some crappy movies or keep eyes on sale to buy BDs. It's kind of excitement to see how this movie will look on Blu-ray/Full HD/DTS etc. But as time goes.... taste improves.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #26

Jul 2010
hyderabad,India

Flipkart mentions the hindi date as 1st week of oct & the cover art shows Reliance is releasing it manufactured by Moser baer.
Hope they don't screw it up?
Old 09-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #27
Expert Member

Feb 2013
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhammu2005 View Post
Flipkart mentions the hindi date as 1st week of oct & the cover art shows Reliance is releasing it manufactured by Moser baer.
Hope they don't screw it up?
Nope, it is manufactured by Sony DADC as usual.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:05 PM   #28
Expert Member

Feb 2013
India

By the way, I was looking for Manohari Instrumental and found this unplugged version. It's really a good attempt.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #29

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollywood karim View Post
I order my blu rays and dvd's from india shipped to los angeles and its economical
From which website?
Old 09-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #30

Dec 2009

Baahubali China release is confirmed (5000 screens)
This is probably the international version they created.

http://variety.com/2015/film/asia/in...ve-1201592129/

E stars confirmed that they are planning to release the movie in November.

With this Baahubali may beat PK at worldwide gross too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._gross_figures
Baahubali is already the #1 movie in India gross.

Last edited by annayya; 09-14-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:51 AM   #31
Special Member

Apr 2009
Dallas, TX

Quote:
FYI, the guy who runs Bhavani moved to Frisco (!) so orders from there will now be much faster!
Thanks given by:
Dragun (09-17-2015), Ysvsr1 (11-30-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 12:53 AM   #32
Special Member

Apr 2009
Dallas, TX

Just because a camera shoots in a certain AR, doesn't mean that's what the director wants. I don't think Rajamouli would've let something like that get past him. Also, the producers of Baahubali are INCREDIBLY busy marketing the film worldwide at the moment through special private screenings and distribution meetings with their new International Cut (which is actually pretty good and not nearly as awful as the EEGA International Cut). They haven't forgotten about ANYTHING. I am in regular contact with them regarding Baahubali
Old 09-17-2015, 02:45 AM   #33
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2010
India

^The OP pointed out that even the VFX were rendered for the 16:9 ratio, which would be a pointless expense if the intention was to only have a wider ratio.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:08 AM   #34
Special Member

Apr 2009
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
^The OP pointed out that even the VFX were rendered for the 16:9 ratio, which would be a pointless expense if the intention was to only have a wider ratio.
I understand, but VFX companies don't decide the AR, the director does. Lots of things get cropped out of movies.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:11 AM   #35
Special Member

Apr 2009
Dallas, TX

BTW, who cares what AR the trailer was in?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
I understand, but VFX companies don't decide the AR, the director does. Lots of things get cropped out of movies.
I would assume that the final viewable area was decided before the digital files were sent for adding in the VFX. Otherwise, a good amount work has been wasted.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #37

Sep 2015
Default guys anyone help me to buy bahubali blue ray tamil version?

please any one help me
Old 09-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #38
Power Member

May 2010

Were certain sequences presented at 1.78:1 in the IMAX version or was it the entire movie?
Old 09-18-2015, 01:42 AM   #39

Dec 2009

Quote:
Were certain sequences presented at 1.78:1 in the IMAX version or was it the entire movie?
The entire movie is shot with Arri Alexa XT and an aspect ratio of 1.78.1
See my second post in the thread. I also now edited my first post to avoid confusion.

What I was focusing on is that not only is the entire movie shot at 1.78:1 ratio but also the effects/VFX/CGI is also fully rendered for the same aspect ratio of 1.78:1. The point I was trying to make is that there is no reason for the Blu-ray to not be 1.78:1
I am concerned because if everything is at 1.78:1 why did Rajamouli release the trailer at 2.35:1, and as far as I know all theaters played at 2:35:1 ratio.
I will be very disappointed if the same mistake is done with the Blu-ray

Last edited by annayya; 09-18-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:50 AM   #40

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathkumarraju View Post
please any one help me
What do you need help with
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India