Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 day ago
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
18 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34

Shadow in the Cloud (Blu-ray)
$19.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 09-18-2015, 02:14 AM   #41

Dec 2009
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
I would assume that the final viewable area was decided before the digital files were sent for adding in the VFX. Otherwise, a good amount work has been wasted.
I agree. What's the point of using an expensive camera like Arri Alexa XT when they had no intention to show the movie at 1.78:1. Also, they definitely spent a few crores more to do the VFX work required for the additional space. It would be stupid if the Blu-ray is not authored at 1:78:1. I am not 100% sure if any theater played the movie at 1:78:1 ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
BTW, who cares what AR the trailer was in?
Most Hollywood Trailers currently use the better (larger) aspect ratio where available. The fact that Baahubali used the wide-screen ratio for the trailer is concerning on what the outcome of the Blu-ray will be in the near future.

Quote:
I understand, but VFX companies don't decide the AR, the director does. Lots of things get cropped out of movies.
Quote:
Just because a camera shoots in a certain AR, doesn't mean that's what the director wants. I don't think Rajamouli would've let something like that get past him. Also, the producers of Baahubali are INCREDIBLY busy marketing the film worldwide at the moment through special private screenings and distribution meetings with their new International Cut (which is actually pretty good and not nearly as awful as the EEGA International Cut). They haven't forgotten about ANYTHING. I am in regular contact with them regarding Baahubali
Please pass the word to the people from Baahubali team about how important it is to release the Blu-ray with the 1.78:1 aspect ratio. And ofcourse about planning the release of Baahubali 2 accordingly so that all premium theaters that support the 1.78:1 aspect ratio get the appropriate print.

To answer your questions, read the following words from James Cameron and an article about the importance of aspect ratios:

http://www.slashfilm.com/3d-avatar-v...aspect-ratios/

For Avatar we’re shooting in a 16:9 ratio, we’re extracting a cinemascope ratio from that for 2D theatrical exhibition, and for 3D theatrical exhibition we will do, in the theaters that can, we’ll be in the 16:9 format and the theaters that can’t we’ll be in the scope format. Because I actually think that the extra screen height really works well in 3D. It really pulls you through the screen. So I’m actually going back on years of kind of eschewing the kind of 1.85 format, now saying 1.85 – or actually, it’s 1.78:1 – actually works really well in 3D.

Think about it. You have a huge screen TV but when you play a movie do you really like seeing the huge black bars at the top and bottom ?
Avatar Blu-ray aspect ratio is 1.78:1. You can check the specs here: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Avatar-Blu-ray/10629/

Last edited by annayya; 09-18-2015 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #42
Power Member

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by annayya View Post
I agree. What's the point of using an expensive camera like Arri Alexa XT when they had no intention to show the movie at 1.78:1. Also, they definitely spent a few crores more to do the VFX work required for the additional space. It would be stupid if the Blu-ray is not authored at 1:78:1. I am not 100% sure if any theater played the movie at 1:78:1 ratio.
Most 2.35:1 movies are cropped from a taller aspect ratio, unless they were shot with anamorphic lenses. This includes movies shot in the Super 35 format on film, and movies shot digitally on 1.78:1 sensors. That doesn't mean that the area cropped away was ever intended to be seen. The 2.35:1 area is what is meant to be seen. but they usually made sure nothing distracting (lights, etc.) was in those extra areas in case they opened up the frame for the TV version of the film, or they needed that area for reframing or stabilizing in post-production.
Thanks given by:
nrD (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 06:32 AM   #43

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragun View Post
Most 2.35:1 movies are cropped from a taller aspect ratio, unless they were shot with anamorphic lenses. This includes movies shot in the Super 35 format on film, and movies shot digitally on 1.78:1 sensors. That doesn't mean that the area cropped away was ever intended to be seen. The 2.35:1 area is what is meant to be seen. but they usually made sure nothing distracting (lights, etc.) was in those extra areas in case they opened up the frame for the TV version of the film, or they needed that area for reframing or stabilizing in post-production.
It just so happens that most people watch Blu-rays on their TVs which have an aspect ratio of 1.78:1, and most Hollywood studios are choosing to play movies in 1.78:1 ratio in theaters also where the screen supports it. As mentioned earlier with proof, the Baahubali VFX was also done for 1.78:1 too.

So I don't buy the nonsense that the extra space that is cropped away was never intended to be seen in any format or media. That would be the most stupid decision by the director

However, if the below screenshots from Irshad are from the Malayalam Baahubali Blu-ray, then someone needs to act quickly and ensure that the Telugu Blu-ray releases with 1:78:1 ratio. It would be a disgrace if the Telugu BD releases with 2.35:1 ratio as well.

Worse case scenario is that even with all the attention I am trying to bring to this issue, if the Telugu Blu-ray does not release with 1.78:1 ratio I will sadly have to skip buying this Blu-ray as the director intentionally did not oversee or give any importance at all to the Blu-ray. I will not buy a product that is not valued or is not fully utilizing its potential.
I have spent over $100 on Baahubali already to watch with family and friends in premium theater and I am not desperate to buy the Blu-ray if it is not up to the minimum expected standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irshadmhassan View Post
Old 09-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #44
Power Member

May 2010

The VFX could have been done at 1.78:1 for IMAX showings, or for TV. If Rajamouli wanted it to be presented at 1.78:1, even the regular showings would have been at that aspect ratio.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #45
Expert Member

Feb 2013

Lol "not up to the minimum expected standards"
Old 09-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #46
Expert Member

Feb 2013

Those stills from the Malayalam bd look pretty good to me!

I would buy a 16:9 blu-ray, but I wouldn't boycott the release of a CinemaScope one. Especially considering, much like Skyfall, Baahubali has two director-approved theatrical releases and one of them is still the version coming to blu-ray.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #47

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrD View Post
Lol "not up to the minimum expected standards"
Yes, as Baahubali made over 600 crores and counting, the way I see it in this case is that the aspect ratio of 1.78:1 is the minimum expectation from my perspective and exceeding expectations would mean having making of the movie, art, sets, director's commentary, interviews, Deleted Scenes, Special effects/Techical aspects, box office success, Baahubali 2 Trailer or some scenes, Steelbook.

Everyone is comparing several aspects of this movie to Hollywood standards. So why should I expect anything less from the Blu-ray

About 50% of the Blu-rays I buy, I never watched because I already saw the movie in theater and I rarely watch the same movie twice. I however continue buying Blu-rays for collection purposes, regardless of whether I will watch the movie again or not. I don't think I even opened the plastic covers for some of the Blu-rays I purchased years ago. So I am willing to boycott the Blu-ray if it isn't 1.78:1 aspect ratio.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #48
Special Member

May 2010
Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by annayya View Post
About 50% of the Blu-rays I buy, I never watched because I already saw the movie in theater and I rarely watch the same movie twice. I however continue buying Blu-rays for collection purposes, regardless of whether I will watch the movie again or not. I don't think I even opened the plastic covers for some of the Blu-rays I purchased years ago.
Just out of curiosity if u dont even watch twice, and u dont even open some, how do u define it as a collection? I mean what exactly is the purpose of that collection to you?

Definitely it can't be a blu ray museum for 4K or 8K gen kids to visit i guess
Old 09-20-2015, 12:41 AM   #49

Oct 2009

^I think the OP defined it perfectly - collectors collect - fanboys are the ones that watch it repeatedly to their heart's content
Old 09-20-2015, 04:15 AM   #50
Special Member

May 2010
Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonAngel View Post
^I think the OP defined it perfectly - collectors collect - fanboys are the ones that watch it repeatedly to their heart's content
Sure, I do understand that. But somehow i never ventured further to find out what do these collectors do once the collection becomes you know ....the size of their room itself. Its just casual curiosity.

I on the other hand am in fanboy category by that sense. I never ever buy any film which i cannot watch multiple times. It does not depend on how much the movie ran or got ranked or liked by anyone else in entire world. I have made my collection of ~50 names over a period of say 5-6 years. How ridiculous the names might look to a third person i never cared one bit. They hold up as evergreen cinematic experiences for me.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:53 AM   #51

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anurag1700 View Post
Just out of curiosity if u dont even watch twice, and u dont even open some, how do u define it as a collection? I mean what exactly is the purpose of that collection to you?

Definitely it can't be a blu ray museum for 4K or 8K gen kids to visit i guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anurag1700 View Post
Sure, I do understand that. But somehow i never ventured further to find out what do these collectors do once the collection becomes you know ....the size of their room itself. Its just casual curiosity.

I on the other hand am in fanboy category by that sense. I never ever buy any film which i cannot watch multiple times. It does not depend on how much the movie ran or got ranked or liked by anyone else in entire world. I have made my collection of ~50 names over a period of say 5-6 years. How ridiculous the names might look to a third person i never cared one bit. They hold up as evergreen cinematic experiences for me.
I buy about 20 Blu-rays (three languages) per year, which is not a lot as I watch even more movies in theater. I usually get the Blu-rays so my friends and family can enjoy when they visit me and are interested in seeing them. When I watch movies the first time, I pay complete attention and if I ever watch something a second time with someone else I usually multi-task and not worry about the movie much.

If you think collecting Blu-rays with no direct intention to watch is wrong then why do people even buy anything when every untouched BD is available on net for free. It's simply my personal preference to collect just like how you can watch several movies multiple times. Anyway, when I open a museum I will surely send an invitation to your kids
Old 09-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #52

Jun 2011
Limbo

You can hope all you want about original aspect ratio, but film makers don't give a sh!t they will release 2.35 version.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #53

Oct 2008

As much as I hate to say it annayya, we won't ever see that bluray

I think getting a bluray is more than what we can hope for, let alone aspect ratio.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #54

Aug 2014
Kerala
Send a message via Skype™ to sidhardh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashik786 View Post
Except Songs.All Songs shot in telugu
No. Songs too shot in Tamil. Just check the lip movements of Tamil version of Pachcha Bottesi & Manohari.
Thanks given by:
nrD (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 02:27 AM   #55
Special Member

Apr 2009
Dallas, TX

Quote:

Yup. What he said. But, by all means, continue screaming into a well about your mythical 16:9 version.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:00 AM   #56
Banned

Mar 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun1591 View Post
As much as I hate to say it annayya, we won't ever see that bluray

I think getting a bluray is more than what we can hope for, let alone aspect ratio.
If you can go back to DVDs with fullscreen is no more black top and below.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:03 AM   #57

Oct 2009

Telugu version will be on MAA TV for dasara. Hopefully some can mix Telugu audio with Malayalam bluray picture to make a decent Telugu version similar to khaleja movie
Old 10-04-2015, 07:50 AM   #58

Dec 2009

Quote:
Yup. What he said. But, by all means, continue screaming into a well about your mythical 16:9 version.
It's not mythical as the screenshots I posted clearly show that the 16:9 exists if they want to use it. I am definitely not screaming into the well as there were other Blu-rays (not Telugu) that had a 16:9 aspect ratio. It is sad that some people have no hope and don't demand a better product and advancement in the Blu-ray technology with Indian movies. For how long will we just settle and celebrate just to hear that a Blu-ray will release (regardless of its aspects)

And it's definitely not impossible. If low budget movie like finding fanny can release the DVD with 16:9 aspect ratio then why not the blu-ray of a big budget movie. Let me correct that, the biggest budget movie ever from India. Its a shame if the studio Arka Media Works fails to oversee the Blu-ray production and ensuring it is at the best presentable format available which is absolutely 16:9 ratio.

The fact that someone like me has to even make this request and post on their twitter page and youtube video comments is disappointing. Something like this should be done by default. It is the responsibility of the director, producers and studio to ensure that the audience get the best quality possible of movie whether it is in theaters, Satellite (TV) or Home Media. You didnt see me writing to James Cameron 6 years ago asking him to release AVATAR Blu-ray in 16:9 ratio. It was expected to happen by default which it did and exceeded my expectations. With Indian Blu-rays, it's a struggle just to meet the expectations, because the studio simply sells the Blu-ray rights and then the directors or producers don't give a damn to accommodate the requests or solve problems faced by the people who bought the rights such as Volga, Bhavani, Idream (a user here from Idream confirmed it in this thread - search for his post for a better understanding) ...

Last edited by annayya; 10-04-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #59
Power Member

May 2010

If Rajamouli wanted to release it that way then he would have done so, plain and simple. There was nothing to prevent him from releasing it at 1.78:1 in theaters.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #60
Banned

Mar 2015

Quote:
If Rajamouli wanted to release it that way then he would have done so, plain and simple. There was nothing to prevent him from releasing it at 1.78:1 in theaters.
My collection bluray movies 1:66:1, 1:67:1, 1:78:1 and 1:85:1 about 60 movies. But most 2:35:1 or oversize about 120 movies....thats why I watched black top and below...

I' not complained....
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India