Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
1 day ago
Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (Blu-ray)
$22.00
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 09-11-2015, 03:54 AM   #21
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. View Post
Have always liked both franchises but not sure about this. Godzilla is so much bigger than Kong would there really be much of a fight. Seems to much would rather them be kept separate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post

300 foot tall, nuclear powered ancient alpha predator vs a 30 foot tall gorilla?

Super excited for both individual movies however.
Godzilla has that certain trick up his sleeve, not that he'd ever need it for the Much smaller King Kong

Old 09-11-2015, 03:56 AM   #22

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgolKing View Post
Anything can be "fixed"....there is not any good fix in this case
It's a classic David vs. Goliath scenario. I don't understand how this is so hard to accept, yet Batman vs Superman is OK.
Thanks given by:
Arvin Clone (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 04:06 AM   #23
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moj View Post
It's a classic David vs. Goliath scenario. I don't understand how this is so hard to accept, yet Batman vs Superman is OK.
Nobody said anything about superman and batman
Old 09-11-2015, 04:10 AM   #24
Expert Member

Jul 2015
Hollow Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underworld54 View Post
No one wants to see Godzilla Jr....let's hope Toho tells Universal/WB/Legendary tO forget it.
Didn't know you spoke for the whole fanbase, but I don't see how this is confirmed in any way anyways. Doubt it will happen
Old 09-11-2015, 04:11 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Kryptonite. Will Kong have a magic rock. Godzilla is a hundred times Kongs size. The 1962 movie was ridiculous crap done with no budget that is only entertaining for how goofy it is
Old 09-11-2015, 04:29 AM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

I'm actually curious to see how this unfolds at Universal Studios, considering the rights they hold on King Kong vs. Godzilla. Technically speaking, Universal holds the rights to King Kong vs. Godzilla. Now, before the hate rolls in, I don't know how Universal Studio's rights are perceived considering that film and any remakes. I thought I had read somewhere that Universal or Toho wanted to make a sequel to the original but that the sequel never materialized.

Universal Studios, from what little I've read on it, has filed numerous lawsuits in the past over the King Kong rights so I don't know what to expect from this announcement.

Has anyone any input on this? While I would be excited to see how a King Kong v Godzilla remake would do, I'm just curious whether Legendary can actually do that considering Universal's rights. I'd actually be curious to see if Universal Studios actually has the right to kill any remake on that film. After all, Warner Brothers has already settled that lawsuit with those three Godzilla directors. Plus, something like this would also have to be cleared by Toho before such a feature film could be made.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:29 AM   #27

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
The 1962 movie was ridiculous crap done with no budget that is only entertaining for how goofy it is
That's such a dense evaluation of the film. You realize that film is purposefully comedic, right?
Old 09-11-2015, 04:37 AM   #28

May 2011

Quote:
Kryptonite. Will Kong have a magic rock. Godzilla is a hundred times Kongs size. The 1962 movie was ridiculous crap done with no budget that is only entertaining for how goofy it is
Godzilla wasn't fighting the small Kong from the 1933 film. He was fighting a Toho created Kong which is Kaiju size duh.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:59 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Australia

Like with the 1962 film, they are going to have to up size Kong and give me a special advantage in order to compete with Godzilla. It's just a matter of how they go about these things.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:05 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
I've gone into outer space to destroy another race.

Oh how badly I hope something like this doesn't happen. Pathetic.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
I'm actually curious to see how this unfolds at Universal Studios, considering the rights they hold on King Kong vs. Godzilla. Technically speaking, Universal holds the rights to King Kong vs. Godzilla. Now, before the hate rolls in, I don't know how Universal Studio's rights are perceived considering that film and any remakes. I thought I had read somewhere that Universal or Toho wanted to make a sequel to the original but that the sequel never materialized.

Universal Studios, from what little I've read on it, has filed numerous lawsuits in the past over the King Kong rights so I don't know what to expect from this announcement.

Has anyone any input on this? While I would be excited to see how a King Kong v Godzilla remake would do, I'm just curious whether Legendary can actually do that considering Universal's rights. I'd actually be curious to see if Universal Studios actually has the right to kill any remake on that film. After all, Warner Brothers has already settled that lawsuit with those three Godzilla directors. Plus, something like this would also have to be cleared by Toho before such a feature film could be made.
Universal only owns the film's distribution rights. If that was the case, they would have been rolling out King Kong Vs Godzilla films for decades just to crap on Toho. Which Toho wouldn't allow.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #32
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

This idea is no good, i much prefer the idea of period Kong movies, even though they shifted Skull island up to the 70's that's fine, still in the past. A modern day Kong just won't be as good IMO.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #33
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2012
Sweden

Well, if there's any truth to this, consider me excited. Love the idea of getting Godzilla 2 first, with G facing off against Mothra, Rodan and/or King Ghidorah, followed by a remake of King Kong vs. Godzilla as the third film. All the negativity surprises me, this could be awesome if done right and it'd have potential to be a huge success.

Quote:
People acting like the size difference can't easily be fixed.
Exactly, just do what Toho did 53 years ago and increase Kong's size to match Godzilla's. Nothing says these new Kong films will or have to share continuity with earlier ones so there's no limit to how big they can make him.

Quote:
The 1962 movie was ridiculous crap done with no budget that is only entertaining for how goofy it is
Quote:
That's such a dense evaluation of the film. You realize that film is purposefully comedic, right?
Purposefully comedic, and certainly not "no-budget". We have to consider it was made in the early '60s.
Thanks given by:
jetjaguar4 (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #34
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2012
Origae-6

A rematch film should be made....

Old 09-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
Purposefully comedic, and certainly not "no-budget". We have to consider it was made in the early '60s.
The original King King vs Godzilla cost $200,000. Even adjusted to inflation that is still a very low budget movie. More expensive than an Asylum movie sure but still a hundred times less expensive than Legendary's Godzilla movie and even more than a dozen times less than Toho's last Godzilla movie.

Its a fine low budget silly movie if your into that but nothing about it would fit in new Legendary series with its more serious tone. There are so many Toho monsters that can get American reboots

Not to mention it would require making Kong something like 300 feet tall. That basically ruins any anticipation for the Skull Island as Kong being that big will make the movie ridiculous. Climbing the Empire State building would no longer be a thing
Old 09-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
The original King King vs Godzilla cost $200,000. Even adjusted to inflation that is still a very low budget movie. More expensive than an Asylum movie sure but still a hundred times less expensive than Legendary's Godzilla movie and even more than a dozen times less than Toho's last Godzilla movie.

Its a fine low budget silly movie if your into that but nothing about it would fit in new Legendary series with its more serious tone. There are so many Toho monsters that can get American reboots

Not to mention it would require making Kong something like 300 feet tall. That basically ruins any anticipation for the Skull Island as Kong being that big will make the movie ridiculous. Climbing the Empire State building would no longer be a thing
Why are you comparing a Japanese special effects movie from 1962 to the budget of a 2014 American blockbuster or even a 2004 Japanese-made Godzilla film which was purposely given a larger-than-normal (for the time) budget?
Old 09-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #37
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:

Movies in general had much lower budgets back then, even when adjusted for inflation. Japanese productions also had and still have lower budgets than their American counterparts, so that's another factor. KKvG wasn't low budget by Japanese '60s standards. It was a major event, not just in Japan, and remains one of the highest grossing Godzilla movies to date.

Also, I don't understand why you're talking about how it doesn't match the 2014 Godzilla film in tone. Continuity-wise the original King Kong vs. Godzilla has nothing to do with Legendary's Godzilla universe and never will, so that's irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the tone of this hypothetical new movie, and it obviously wouldn't be as comedic and campy as the '62 original.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
Movies in general had much lower budgets back then, even when adjusted for inflation. Japanese productions also had and still have lower budgets than their American counterparts, so that's another factor. KKvG wasn't low budget by Japanese '60s standards. It was a major event, not just in Japan, and remains one of the highest grossing Godzilla movies to date.

Also, I don't understand why you're talking about how it doesn't match the 2014 Godzilla film in tone. Continuity-wise the original King Kong vs. Godzilla has nothing to do with Legendary's Godzilla universe and never will, so that's irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the tone of this hypothetical new movie, and it obviously wouldn't be as comedic and campy as the '62 original.
Well the original Godzilla 8 years before King Kong vs Godzilla had a budget of a million dollars that's five times more without adjusting to eight years of inflation. So yes even Japanese movies of the time were capable of higher budgets and effects than that. Godzilla's rampage looks fairly impressive by 50s standards and manages to have a sense of terror. King Kong vs Godzilla reminds me more of a power rangers fight

My favorite part is when its mentioned that lightning makes Kong stronger and the other guy looks at him confused. In other words that story point is so ridiculous it doesn't even make any sense to the characters

My point is even with modern Hollywood effects I can't see the concept being anything less than ridiculous. A low budget camp movie can get away with a silly concept but in the a big budget world I can't see this working and managing a tone anything like the 2014 movie
Old 09-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2015

If they do end up making a new Kong vs. Godzilla movie, bring it on. I'm all for it. The original was fun and an update would be great. Shoot Kong with a growth ray and make him as tall as Godzilla. Boom, solved. Let's do this.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

A smaller Kong doesn't matter because Kong still has the larger brain. He'd figure out how to fight Godzilla, such as tripping him, or climbing up his back, and then just twisting off his head. Kong could also lure Godzilla into falling into a volcano or something. If any of this sounds silly to you, guess what?

IT IS!
Thanks given by:
Darkstream (09-11-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies