Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
6 hrs ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
4 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
14 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
15 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34

Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 09-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #41
Banned

Jul 2012

I wonder if Kong in this will be tied to the Kong franchise they are trying to start, or if Kong will be like a mythical guardian beast.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #42
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013
-
-

Why are people so against this movie having even an iota of silliness?
Old 09-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #43
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post

My favorite Godzilla movies actually are the sillier ones. I recently sold most of my Godzilla DVD's but the ones I kept were Godzilla/Gojira (1954), King Kong vs. Godzilla, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974), and Godzilla: Final Wars.

Besides the '54 original, they're all pretty silly, especially Final Wars, which I love. My favorite, though, has always been Mechagodzilla '74. Nostalgia maybe.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

The film would be fun but considering how Legendary's Godzilla is FAT, King Kong would definitely win. The original film didn't exactly make out a clear winner. But, please! No JACK BLACK!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012
Miami, FL

Really people, it's obvious that the Kong that will face Godzilla (if it happens) won't be the same 30 ft Kong that everyone recognizes. Suspension of disbelief....look it up.

I'm all for this if it happens. The two most iconic big monsters slugging it out is right up my alley. KKvG is my favorite of all Godzilla films. And yes it is ridiculous but very entertaining
Old 09-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #46
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
My favorite Godzilla movies actually are the sillier ones. I recently sold most of my Godzilla DVD's but the ones I kept were Godzilla/Gojira (1954), King Kong vs. Godzilla, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974), and Godzilla: Final Wars.

Besides the '54 original, they're all pretty silly, especially Final Wars, which I love. My favorite, though, has always been Mechagodzilla '74. Nostalgia maybe.
I love some of the more "serious" Showa sequels (Mothra vs. Godzilla, Terror of Mechagodzilla), but also love some of the sillier ones (Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, Son of Godzilla), too. In fact, I'm pretty forgiving of silliness because it's inherent to the genre. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '74 is completely insane but still pretty fun to watch, in part because of that insanity.

I've never been able to decide how I feel about Final Wars, so maybe I'll give it yet another shot soon.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #47
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013
-
-

I enjoy King Kong vs. Godzilla but I've only ever seen the original Japanese version so I'm not sure how I'd respond to the dubbed Americanized version.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #48
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Quote:
I love some of the more "serious" Showa sequels (Mothra vs. Godzilla, Terror of Mechagodzilla), but also love some of the sillier ones (Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, Son of Godzilla), too. In fact, I'm pretty forgiving of silliness because it's inherent to the genre. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '74 is completely insane but still pretty fun to watch, in part because of that insanity.

I've never been able to decide how I feel about Final Wars, so maybe I'll give it yet another shot soon.

Final Wars is really insane. It's one of those so bad it's good movies. It has so many monsters, and most of the fights are short between them, until the final battle at the end, but then there's a lot of action with the humans, mutants, and aliens in between. It's absolutely crazy. It's like a giant monster movie mixed with The Matrix, X-Men, Blade, Independence Day and Star Wars. The director was definitely wearing his modern-day influences on his sleeve with this movie. It's definitely not one to take seriously, but I think it's so much more interesting and entertaining than the boring overrated classic Destroy All Monsters.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #49
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2012
Origae-6

What they need to do is introduce some alien protagonists (Human like) that are behind the scenes orchestrating everything, and they grab an ape from skull island mutate it just enough to fight Godzilla. Keep in mind that they should keep these beings around for awhile before killing them off..

or

They introduce Kong as a species that has lied dormant like the Muto, and have him wake up and the two fight.... Now they will discover that Skull island is where it came from and that movie can pick up after this one.

or

This could be a dream film where it caters to the fans who wanted to see a rematch, but it isn't considered officially part of the timeline, and who knows maybe we can get more films where we see rematches between Godzilla and old foes, and reintroduce some invading alien races that were once thought extinct\defeated.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #50
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminated View Post
What they need to do is introduce some alien protagonists (Human like) that are behind the scenes orchestrating everything, and they grab an ape from skull island mutate it just enough to fight Godzilla. Keep in mind that they should keep these beings around for awhile before killing them off..
The aliens in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) were actually green simian-like beings... maybe they could have some sort of a relation to Kong. heh
Old 09-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #51
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012
Miami, FL

Quote:
I enjoy King Kong vs. Godzilla but I've only ever seen the original Japanese version so I'm not sure how I'd respond to the dubbed Americanized version.
I own both and the Japanese version is definitely superior. The dubbing adds another layer of silliness. Plus Akira Ifukube's musical score was replaced with music from Creature from the Black Lagoon.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #52
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
Well the original Godzilla 8 years before King Kong vs Godzilla had a budget of a million dollars that's five times more without adjusting to eight years of inflation. So yes even Japanese movies of the time were capable of higher budgets and effects than that. Godzilla's rampage looks fairly impressive by 50s standards and manages to have a sense of terror. King Kong vs Godzilla reminds me more of a power rangers fight

My favorite part is when its mentioned that lightning makes Kong stronger and the other guy looks at him confused. In other words that story point is so ridiculous it doesn't even make any sense to the characters

My point is even with modern Hollywood effects I can't see the concept being anything less than ridiculous. A low budget camp movie can get away with a silly concept but in the a big budget world I can't see this working and managing a tone anything like the 2014 movie
It still wasn't some ultra cheap, low budget production by the - again - Japanese standards of the time though. It was the first Godzilla film in color, the first one with a stereo soundtrack, etc. It wouldn't be if they had tried to make it as cheap as possible.

I don't see how Godzilla fighting a giant ape is a "sillier" concept than him fighting giant moths, spiders, space dragons, robots or whatever other giant creatures, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. There's also nothing to say Kong would have to be powered up by lightning in this movie, my guess is he'd just rely on brute strength and his superior intelligence when fighting Godzilla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Brannigan View Post
I wonder if Kong in this will be tied to the Kong franchise they are trying to start, or if Kong will be like a mythical guardian beast.
If they really are planning a crossover then it'd make sense to use the upcoming Skull Island as an opportunity to introduce the Kong that will end up fighting Godzilla later on. Only potential problem I can see is, if a gorilla that big lives on Skull Island, some of the other creatures that inhabit the island would have to be scaled up as well and then you wonder how there'd even be enough room for all of them. It'd have to be a huge island. There's also the issue of, how does Kong do all his typical Kong stuff if he's that big?

Quote:
Yeah, I definitely don't think it has to be super serious, dark and gritty. In fact, that could almost hinder something as potentially fun and cool as seeing a 21st century take on cinema's two most iconic giant monsters going at it. A little humor would be welcome.

I think the best balance they could aim for would be a movie that mostly takes itself seriously but still has a family friendly tone and sense of adventure to it, and isn't afraid to toss in a joke here and there. Think something like Jurassic Park.

Quote:
I love some of the more "serious" Showa sequels (Mothra vs. Godzilla, Terror of Mechagodzilla), but also love some of the sillier ones (Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, Son of Godzilla), too. In fact, I'm pretty forgiving of silliness because it's inherent to the genre.
I agree with this. Broadly speaking, there are two ways to tackle fantastical, out there concepts like giant monsters, superheroes, alien invasions, etc. Some movies ask "if this really happened, how would it play out, how would we react?", while others say "we realize how inherently ridiculous this is on a conceptual level, so we'll just have fun with it, please go along for the ride".

Neither approach is really inherently "right" or "wrong", depends on what kind of story the people behind the film want to tell. There are both good and bad examples of each and personally I'm glad we can have both.
Thanks given by:
Infernal King (09-11-2015), willtopower (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #53
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Final Wars is really insane. It's one of those so bad it's good movies. It has so many monsters, and most of the fights are short between them, until the final battle at the end, but then there's a lot of action with the humans, mutants, and aliens in between. It's absolutely crazy. It's like a giant monster movie mixed with The Matrix, X-Men, Blade, Independence Day and Star Wars. The director was definitely wearing his modern-day influences on his sleeve with this movie. It's definitely not one to take seriously, but I think it's so much more interesting and entertaining than the boring overrated classic Destroy All Monsters.
My favorite "So Bad, It's Good" Godzilla movie is Godzilla vs. Megalon. I love that one.

Now you're whetting my appetite for Godzilla: Final Wars.

Destroy All Monsters is indeed boring and overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjaguar4 View Post
I own both and the Japanese version is definitely superior. The dubbing adds another layer of silliness. Plus Akira Ifukube's musical score was replaced with music from Creature from the Black Lagoon.
Blasphemy!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #54
Power Member

Jul 2012

I hope they keep the Kong/Godzilla fights to a minimum and show us more of the human characters.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #55
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOfTheBlackPool View Post
I hope they keep the Kong/Godzilla fights to a minimum and show us more of the human characters.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #56
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
I agree completely, Final Wars is a great "so bad it's good" movie. It's so completely insane and over the top, I've said it before but it's basically a live action cartoon. Lots of humor both intentional and unintentional. I love that Gigan got to return (with a really cool redesign and his old personality intact) and Kazuki Kitamura hams it up to a ridiculous degree as the main villain. And yes, it's much more fun than Destroy All Monsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjaguar4 View Post
Yeah, Ifukube's score being largely replaced with stock music is yet another thing that detracted from my enjoyment of the American version. I really have to watch the original one of these days.

Quote:
He's obviously joking but it'd be funny if he wasn't. That'd defeat the whole point of making a movie where King Kong and Godzilla fight.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #57
Banned

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post

If they really are planning a crossover then it'd make sense to use the upcoming Skull Island as an opportunity to introduce the Kong that will end up fighting Godzilla later on. Only potential problem I can see is, if a gorilla that big lives on Skull Island, some of the other creatures that inhabit the island would have to be scaled up as well and then you wonder how there'd even be enough room for all of them. It'd have to be a huge island. There's also the issue of, how does Kong do all his typical Kong stuff if he's that big?
Let's say Kong is a mythical guardian who has been entombed in what everyone thinks is a mountain. He's been in hibernation/suspended animation for thousands of years but a threat or man's own stupidity awakens him and he encounters Godzilla where they have a smackdown that ends in a draw, because there is a bigger threat they have to face.

I think the second act of the movie will have the battle while the 3rd act will focus on their teamwork against a threat more dangerous than them.

I think this will end up more Godzilla v Kong: Dawn of Monster Justice then a true versus movie.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #58
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Brannigan View Post
Let's say Kong is a mythical guardian who has been entombed in what everyone thinks is a mountain. He's been in hibernation/suspended animation for thousands of years but a threat or man's own stupidity awakens him and he encounters Godzilla where they have a smackdown that ends in a draw, because there is a bigger threat they have to face.

I think the second act of the movie will have the battle while the 3rd act will focus on their teamwork against a threat more dangerous than them.

I think this will end up more Godzilla v Kong: Dawn of Monster Justice then a true versus movie.
Making Kong more mystical/supernatural in nature would be a fairly effective way of explaining how he was so massive in this version. I have to say though, I'm not sure I like the idea of them teaming up. If you go through the trouble of making King Kong vs. Godzilla, then I think it should be about them and them alone.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #59
Banned

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
Making Kong more mystical/supernatural in nature would be a fairly effective way of explaining how he was so massive in this version. I have to say though, I'm not sure I like the idea of them teaming up. If you go through the trouble of making King Kong vs. Godzilla, then I think it should be about them and them alone.
I fairly certain they won't actually team up, I have a horrible track record of predicting movie plots. I am just trying find something that makes sense to me.

But I am sure of one thing, Kong will have to be a mythical guardian in order to go up against Legendary's Godzilla.

Last edited by Lt. Brannigan; 09-11-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2014
California

I will throw money at this movie.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies