Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Love and Monsters (DVD)
$11.99
1 day ago
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.: The Complete Series (DVD)
$9.96

Pokémon: DP Sinnoh League Victors - The Complete Season (DVD)
$29.96

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection (DVD)
$29.99

All My Life (DVD)
$17.99

The Croods: A New Age (DVD)
$17.99

Half Brothers (DVD)
$17.99

Promising Young Woman (DVD)
$19.96

Courage The Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series (DVD)
$20.28

Best of Warner Bros. 20 Film Collection Romance (DVD)
$19.96
8 hrs ago
Onward (DVD)
$10.00

Spartacus: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$22.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 02-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
Default Defective Warner TV On DVD

Has anyone had trouble with defective discs on TV seasons from Warner?

Over the past couple years, I've had the following issues:

The Sopranos
Season 2: Freezes halfway through the season finale, would not play at all past that point.
Season 4: Momentarily freezes and pixelates during two mid-season episodes (same disc).

One Tree Hill
Season 2: Momentarily freezes and pixelates during episode "What Could Have Been"

Tales From The Crypt
Season 2: Momentarily freezes and pixelates near the end of "Mute Witness To Murder"
Season 5: Freezes during the final scene of "Forever Ambergris", had to reboot the disc and rewind to the point where it left off.

No scratches or discoloring on any of the discs (except Sopranos Season 2, which had little white dots on it, possibly disc rot?).

I've gone through several TV series from Disney / ABC, Fox, Universal, Sony, etc and the only ones I have issues with are Warner. Are they just using a bad pressing plant or something? I tried contacting Warner's customer service when I had the problem with Sopranos: Season 2 and they never responded. Didn't bother again after that.

Anyone else having issues with Warner TV seasons?
Old 02-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
Special Member

Jan 2012

Warner had trouble with the WAMO pressing plant about a decade or more ago. I had a few titles skip around at the layer change. I never had problems with TFTC, which is the only titles of yours I own.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:44 AM   #3

Aug 2010
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Unfortunately I noticed a few discs from Warner Bros. had gone bad over time, when I recently went through my DVD collection too.

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
Season 1: One bad disc
Season 2: One bad Disc

Powerpuff Girls
The Complete Series: One bad disc

The only other DVDs in my collection that have gone bad are from Bandai Entertainment, which were known to have many disc replication issues in the past.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:11 AM   #4

Jan 2015

On my original copy of Full House Season 4, the episode, "Shape Up" kept skipping and freezing, but all the other episodes on the disc worked fine. I did get a replacement copy that works, though.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:48 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011

Add another Warner title to the list.

Just noticed this yet again on The Hand from Warner's Twisted Terror Collection. Freezes about halfway through and doesn't resume until 2 chapters later.

Warner is the only company whose discs keep crapping out on me. It'd be nice if they had a disc replacement program.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:41 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011

Another one.

Tales From The Crypt: Season Seven Disc 1: Episode 4 "Escape" skips and freezes non-stop throughout the first 10 minutes.

Also, two other users on another forum confirmed that their DVD of The Hand from the Twisted Terror Collection has crapped out.

This is getting ridiculous. Warner needs to offer a disc replacement program, I guess for their whole catalog. They are the only studio with this issue.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #7

Aug 2012

I just recently started rewatching my TFTC complete series. I purchased the single seasons around 6 years ago. So far Season 2 Discs 1/3 and Season 3 Disc 2 are problematic and riddled with errors. I watched these disc without issue when I originally bought them, now they are basically worthless. Not too happy with Warner Home Video right now. Anyone ever had any luck getting them replace discs?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:01 AM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scissorpuppy View Post
I just recently started rewatching my TFTC complete series. I purchased the single seasons around 6 years ago. So far Season 2 Discs 1/3 and Season 3 Disc 2 are problematic and riddled with errors. I watched these disc without issue when I originally bought them, now they are basically worthless. Not too happy with Warner Home Video right now. Anyone ever had any luck getting them replace discs?
I have written to Sherri Bogard at Warner Bros. in the past and she has replaced a couple of defective dvds for me that were years beyond any warranty. Write to her and explain your situation at: Sherri.Bogard@warnerbros.com
Thanks given by:
p w (04-03-2019), scissorpuppy (10-18-2018), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (04-20-2020)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:46 AM   #9
Power Member

Dec 2014

I bought the individual season sets of Babylon 5 brand new years ago. When I finally opened season one to start my marathon-viewing, I was surprised to find out that DVD rot has already set in. The same goes for the other sets; all discs are unplayable. I guess I put off watching far too long.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:01 AM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwn1220 View Post
I bought the individual season sets of Babylon 5 brand new years ago. When I finally opened season one to start my marathon-viewing, I was surprised to find out that DVD rot has already set in. The same goes for the other sets; all discs are unplayable. I guess I put off watching far too long.
I am really sorry to hear that! Did the discs show any problematic signs that were apparent upon simple visual inspection? Or did they appear normal, but still failed to play?

I have never even unwrapped any of my season sets; I wonder if mine have suffered a similar fate?
Old 10-18-2018, 04:01 AM   #11
Power Member

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I am really sorry to hear that! Did the discs show any problematic signs that were apparent upon simple visual inspection? Or did they appear normal, but still failed to play?

I have never even unwrapped any of my season sets; I wonder if mine have suffered a similar fate?
I was not able to take pictures since I threw out the sets (such a waste!) after unwrapping and finding out all of them were ruined; not a single disc was spared. The rot was very apparent and it looked something like this:

There was a massive discoloration on what used to be a shiny silver or gold disc surface. Better go check your sets, but be prepared for the worst

Last edited by edwn1220; 10-18-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwn1220 View Post
I was not able to take pictures since I threw out the sets (such a waste!) after unwrapping and finding out all of them were ruined; not a single disc was spared. The rot was very apparent and it looked something like this:

[Show spoiler]

There was a massive discoloration on what used to be a shiny silver or gold disc surface. Better go check your sets, but be prepared for the worst
How unfortunate! Defects such as these will be easy to spot; I will have to inspect my sets. Thank you for replying.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #13
Special Member

Jul 2009

That's why I open my discs right away, sometimes in the car outside the store, even if I'm not going to watch them til years later- if there's any obvious defect I can catch it. I still had several Tales From the Crypt discs go bad recently, Warner replaced them but it took a couple months to get the new copies. Ridiculous that the company that pioneered DVD had this happen- not to mention the stratospheric failure rate with their HD-DVDs.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:24 AM   #14
Power Member

Dec 2011
Houston, Texas

Dammit. I found this thread trying to investigate what was going on with my Veronica Mars season one set. I get to disc five and I can't get my Blu-ray player to even start the third episode on the disc. I then try putting it into my PS4 drive, and the disc itself wouldn't even load. I know this is a new problem with the disc because I have watched this set through before. I'm re-watching it now in anticipation of the coming series revival on Hulu.

I don't see any thing resembling the rot posted earlier in this thread on the disc either. Looks pretty pristine from where I'm sitting. But it is a Warner TV disc. This is when collecting physical media can suck sometimes. We always rag on streamers, telling them they'll never truly "own" their collections and so on, but I don't see their digital collections rotting away either.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Clean it as you would a pair of glasses and try again. Also try putting it in a PC drive to see if it can read.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:51 PM   #16
Power Member

Dec 2011
Houston, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
Clean it as you would a pair of glasses and try again. Also try putting it in a PC drive to see if it can read.
There's nothing to clean. The data side is totally flawless. No fingerprints, no scratches, no scuffs.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:25 AM   #17
Power Member

Dec 2011
Houston, Texas

Yep. Looks like this whole series may well be screwed on DVD. Got to disc one of season two and the exact same issue arose when I tried to play episode three. I'll be contacting WHV to see if that gets me anywhere.

Edit: After going through all of the discs in the rest of my Veronica Mars season sets, I have found that a whopping nine out of eighteen discs across the three seasons on DVD were problematic. So yes, there is certainly a common factor at play here.

Last edited by cuzzin; 04-03-2019 at 05:07 AM.
Thanks given by:
Lemmy Lugosi (04-09-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 11:07 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011

Add another to the list. This time it was the 2-disc Special Edition DVD of Shawshank Redemption. Started freezing up around 90 minutes in, probably around the layer-change.

Also, the second half of Someone's Watching Me from Warner's Twisted Terror DVD Collection is now completely unplayable.

Warner is the worst!
Thanks given by:
Lemmy Lugosi (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 03:21 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

I had this issue with my Nancy Drew 4-pack, a Warner release from 2007. The Hidden Staircase will not play at all. I select the movie from the menu, and the player just freezes. I checked the Amazon reviews, and many of them mention it as well. I asked a seller on eBay to check his copy, and he came across the same issue (and he removed the listing). I'll probably have to eventually get Warner Archive's DVD-R reissue because I doubt these will be released on Blu-ray.

The back of the disc looks similar to that above Veronica Mars picture, but I have several DVDs (several from FUNimation from around 2007-2009) that look like that and play perfectly fine. I read that it alone shouldn't be a sign of any issues. It's not bronzing or clouding, but looks more like water.

Disc 5a of my Powerpuff Girls boxset also stopped working a few years ago, but I was thankfully able to replace it with an individual disc I found on eBay (which still works). I have a feeling Warner will reissue this at some point (hopefully not double-sided).

Last edited by GeoffOliver; 04-09-2020 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #20
Banned

Nov 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
Disc 5a of my Powerpuff Girls boxset also stopped working a few years ago, but I was thankfully able to replace it with an individual disc I found on eBay (which still works). I have a feeling Warner will reissue this at some point (hopefully not double-sided).
Did they ever fix the DVDs that had computer viruses encoded on them?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies