Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
5 hrs ago
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Justice Society: World War II (Blu-ray)
$22.99
5 hrs ago
Castle of the Creeping Flesh (Blu-ray)
$15.98
1 day ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99

News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Stagecoach (Blu-ray)
$19.53
18 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Scare Me (Blu-ray)
$12.99
5 hrs ago
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.72
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 02-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #1

Oct 2015
Virginia
Default The Best, Cheapest Headphones Possible

Hello Everyone,

I must admit I have not focused on audio much in the past and I know almost nothing about it. I would like the best sound experience with headphones for the absolute least amount of money possible. I am on an extremely tight budget (I am a school teacher and my wife works part-time from home while home-schooling our children.) but I would like some new headphones to use when watching movies. I have young children so a surround sound system is not much use to me but better sounding headphones would be. I currently use the Monoprice 8323 headphones (which cost about $30 when I bought them a while back and probably gives you an idea of my price range) which from what I have been told are less than ideal for use while watching movies. The headphones will be plugged directly into my Vizio HDTV.

I have looked around the various posts and it seems that everything I find are well out of my price range. I realize that "cheap and good" do not generally go together but I figured that some folks here might have some suggestions for someone in my situation.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:27 AM   #2
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Western New York, U.S.A.

Newegg has Sennheiser HD518 headphones on sale today only for $50, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...U4bnBBUUFBQUN6 Never heard them, but maybe someone else could give you some info. You can check Head-Fi too for reviews. Can't be all that bad, Sennheiser didn't get their good reputation by making crap.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:25 AM   #3

Oct 2015
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmeat69 View Post
Newegg has Sennheiser HD518 headphones on sale today only for $50, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...U4bnBBUUFBQUN6 Never heard them, but maybe someone else could give you some info. You can check Head-Fi too for reviews. Can't be all that bad, Sennheiser didn't get their good reputation by making crap.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!
Old 02-13-2016, 04:21 AM   #4
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Western New York, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie_breeder View Post
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!
Sure thing! I read some reviews on head fi, and most seem to be very positive about these cans, and a few said they are really good for movies. Plus they are tuned for a bit darker sound than the other HD5** series 'phones, in other words a bit more bass. I own the 598's, good head phones, so if these are similar you probably can't go wrong, especially at $50.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
That's a great suggestion ........................... I second that

Or if you want a closed back option ...................... The Sennheiser HD-4xx series is also quite affordable

Last edited by DangeRuss; 02-13-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Western New York, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post

Or if you want a closed back option ...................... The Sennheiser HD-4xx series is also quite affordable
I have the 439's and they are a decent pair for the right price. Plus they have detachable cables of two lengths. Seems like the lower end 4xx and 5xx cans are on sale frequently, just do some research on which sound like something you would enjoy.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #7

Oct 2015
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post

Thanks for the info. I probably do actually need closed back so this is a great suggestion.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:19 PM   #8

Oct 2015
Virginia

Quote:
I have the 439's and they are a decent pair for the right price. Plus they have detachable cables of two lengths. Seems like the lower end 4xx and 5xx cans are on sale frequently, just do some research on which sound like something you would enjoy.
Thanks a bunch for the info. I appreciate it. I'll keep an eye out for sales and figure out which ones would work best for movies.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I probably do actually need closed back so this is a great suggestion.
Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the info. I appreciate it. I'll keep an eye out for sales and figure out which ones would work best for movies.
It's a pleasure helping a fellow enthusiast out

Enjoy your purchase and let us know what you decided on
Old 03-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #10

Mar 2016

Try Sennheiser HD 202 II Professional Headphones. Blocks out every other sound on the plane.... recommended to all who fly a lot
Old 07-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #11

Jun 2016
California

Not sure where to post this question, but the original question is pretty close to what I'm curious about! So sorry in advance if there's a better place for it, but here goes...!

I too am no audio expert, but I'm looking for a pair of headphones under $100 for use in my office (which is open-plan and very loud!). Ideally they would have some noise canceling function and possibly be wireless. Currently I'm using a set of Urban Ears over-ear headphones that I got as a gift. But after about an hour of wearing them, they start to really hurt my ears!

Any suggestions for a great alternative would be much appreciated!
Old 07-08-2016, 12:47 AM   #12
Special Member

Feb 2011

If open is a consideration you might also want to look at the Philips SHP9500. Under $70 regularly and with one simple DIY mod (cut out 4.7mm thick rubber oval 'doughnuts' and insert under the earpads) I like them better than my AKG K7XX's....very detailed mids and highs (almost as detailed and fast as the planar Fostex T50RP Mark III's, just a little less forward) and nice bass extension (unlike the T50RP's which drops off way too much).

Overall it compares favorable with Denon AH-D2000's in presentation, less bass output (but still not lacking in bass and very detailed for what frequencies it does) but better resolution and more forward in the mids and highs yet not shouting at you like the T50RP's. One of the most comfortable headphones I have ever had, even more so than the Denon's with aftermarket lambskin pads. Clamping is a little too rediculously light though...the Denon's stay in place better than these (and the Denon are a very light near zero clamp headphone.)

The SHP9500 (modded) is seriously my favorite headphone to listen to right now, and it is the least expensive pair I own. And from a recent headphone meet I just attended, the lower end Stax, a Koss ESP 950, and a higher end HI-FiMan were the only ones I liked better (of the ones I heard). I'm not after neutral monitor headphones, a blend of the Fostex (Denon) and Philips sound presentation is almost exactly what I'm after. Hopefully the soon-coming Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts get me near there.

Last edited by Vracer111; 07-08-2016 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:06 AM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2011

Also you might want to consider an inexpensive but good headphone DAC/amp to connect to the optical out of the display. The display audio output will be lacking - you won't realize how good any decent headphone will sound until you get it off that jack and through a more proper and cleaner signal path. It will be as much as a good pair of phones though. Can always enjoy the improvement in better headphones now and save up for a DAC/amp for even better sound later though.

Last edited by Vracer111; 07-08-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:12 AM   #14
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneardeathstar View Post
Not sure where to post this question, but the original question is pretty close to what I'm curious about! So sorry in advance if there's a better place for it, but here goes...!

I too am no audio expert, but I'm looking for a pair of headphones under $100 for use in my office (which is open-plan and very loud!). Ideally they would have some noise canceling function and possibly be wireless. Currently I'm using a set of Urban Ears over-ear headphones that I got as a gift. But after about an hour of wearing them, they start to really hurt my ears!

Any suggestions for a great alternative would be much appreciated!
Adverse to the idea of using in-ears?
Old 07-12-2016, 11:10 PM   #15

Jun 2016
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Adverse to the idea of using in-ears?
As long as they're comfortable to wear for long stretches of time, I would be game!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio

Tags
headphones, inexpensive, newbie