Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.96

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.13
1 day ago
Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.02

Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.72

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 10-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #21
Power Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...s?search=2d-3d
Click on picture menu then 3D settings.

3D Depth = Adjust 3D depth between the object and the background.

3D Viewpoint = Make 3D images look closer to or farther away from the user.

Presets
Standard = 10 depth 0 viewpoint
Sports = 15 depth 0 viewpoint
Cinema = 15 depth -3 viewpoint
Extreme = 10 depth +8 viewpoint

LG Smart TV - 2D to 3D Conversion and Settings Adjustment - YouTube
Interestingly using the Cinema settings this makes for some crazy popout 3D. It really looks good and has some extreme separation at points which gives the popout effect. The 15 depth provides great popout while the -3 viewpoint sets the image back into the screen a bit for great depth going into the image. The only issue might be crosstalk as the images can at times be widely separated and the only colors that do it are white layered on black. It is very obvious on a man wearing a tuxedo as the white shirt will overlap onto the black suitcoat. Chap. 2 of Dial M for Murder, Chap. 5-6 with Vincent Price in House of Wax showing the museum. Older titles from the 50's through the 80's have far greater separation of the images. Newer titles since bluray 3-D's introduction are far more subtle although as of late that is improving with greater separation of the images.

Anyway worth a try. Funny thing is now my Cinema mode for 2D to 3D conversion on my 65C6P uses depth 15, viewpoint +10 that started like 3 days ago. The day before it was 15 depth and -3 viewpoint. It didn't upgrade FW either?
Old 10-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #22
Special Member

Apr 2012

The thing is, if you are watching a 3d movie and you tweak the settings for more depth, whilst it is still as the director intended, the added separation still makes the telly have to "fill in the gaps" per se. So, it has to bring down the quality some-what I imagine.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...s?search=2d-3d
Click on picture menu then 3D settings.

3D Depth = Adjust 3D depth between the object and the background.

3D Viewpoint = Make 3D images look closer to or farther away from the user.

Presets
Standard = 10 depth 0 viewpoint
Sports = 15 depth 0 viewpoint
Cinema = 15 depth -3 viewpoint
Extreme = 10 depth +8 viewpoint

LG Smart TV - 2D to 3D Conversion and Settings Adjustment - YouTube
Thanks PRO-630HD.

To avoid any confusion, the above settings are for 2D to 3D Conversion only. This is not intended for director intended Native 3D media that enthusiasts can also adjust the settings on and only becomes available when setup is activated while a native 3D source automatically senses and activates the Native-3D mode feature on screen.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #24
Power Member

Oct 2009

Granted, I just wanted to know what the presets were and plug them in to the manual setting for 3-D. The cinema settings work extremely well for native 3D except for a bit of ghosting with a white object against a dark object due to the image separation. With older films the separation is far more prevalent and even with the auto settings of 10 depth 0 viewpoint I do see it from time to time generally with older films.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (11-07-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Granted, I just wanted to know what the presets were and plug them in to the manual setting for 3-D. The cinema settings work extremely well for native 3D except for a bit of ghosting with a white object against a dark object due to the image separation. With older films the separation is far more prevalent and even with the auto settings of 10 depth 0 viewpoint I do see it from time to time generally with older films.
Find that the cinema conversion "setting-preset" has given me what seems to be a concise accurate gauge in how to adjust the screen placement for beginning title credits on all the 3D source material I use.

When native-3D is in activation: 3D-Depth @ 20, gives 100% depth of the 3D image where it looks like it should be on a real-world scale, for example the similarity matches what I see when watching 1953's Dial M For Murder in 3D.

When 3D depth is set @ 20, 3D-Viewpoint needs to be set @ -6 (negative 6) to keep the increased depth centered at the same place on screen as if it were viewed with settings @ default...
(Updated Edit: Also, using "The Hobbit" 3D trilogy's beginning title-credits for visual 3D placement verification.)

For image clarity when viewing the 3D, I've also activated the customized calibration settings > Picture Mode > "Expert 1", but changed "Super Resolution" in "Expert Control" from OFF to High. This seems to be working successfully, - giving great results including Spears & Munsil's stereo calibration patterns.

For those concerned, when I evaluate new movie releases, all settings are returned to default positions.

Last edited by Paul H; 11-08-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Thanks given by:
infiniteCR (11-09-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookymonster View Post
The thing is, if you are watching a 3d movie and you tweak the settings for more depth, whilst it is still as the director intended, the added separation still makes the telly have to "fill in the gaps" per se. So, it has to bring down the quality some-what I imagine.
The feature-scale for resolving Digital 3D detail is similar to the feature-scale resolving information that is already present in images for displaying higher resolution.
Resolution increases on a digital scale and can be observed as High Definition images.
3D-Depth increases on a digital scale and can be observed as native-3D quality from an increase in 3rd dimensional (real-world) space, as long as the information is present in the source.

As the quality is increased, flaws at a higher resolution in detail can become noticeable, and the same can happen for 3D and the same for passive 3D. Ghosting artifacts can develop as the display's efficiency limits are taxed, even on ghosting resistant OLED's, which can mildly manifest ghosting when 3D is fully-resolved.

Last edited by Paul H; 11-14-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

The following statements are taken from several posts of mine from several threads:

Thinking of 3D Depth having Digital 3D increments on a digital scale makes it easier to understand how object separation is processed.

A good example is found from using the 3D depth scale from 3D NVIDIA industry hardware/software. The industry adjustment scale for "3D Depth" goes from the minimum of 1% to a maximum of 100%. The Default is set @ 15% which has become initially the "digital-age" standard for both Digital consumer and theatrical 3D processing equipment.
It is the 3D CPU process that encompasses todays digital cameras, projectors and displays.

Today all analog 3D films are transferred to the digital realm before exhibition.
It's easier to understand how we now arrive to describe 3D as "weak", "medium" and "strong".
The equipment standard becomes the LG display default setting: When the "3D Depth" feature is set at the default setting of 10, the 3D looks just like all the rest of theatrical 3D exhibitions today, the depth not being developed fully for a purpose and we now need to add descriptions of "weak", "medium" or "strong" to the visual 3D strength description.

Obviously the reason 3D encodes today are resolved at a weaker default level is because of the industry's decision to lower the level of physical resistance complaints of ghosting, eyestrain, and medical vision conditions that affect a number of people in the population.

Again, these are my observations only, as I'm only a 3D enthusiast, not an industry insider.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #28
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Just found this thread...
So in a nutshell, when watching 3D set Depth to 20 and Viewpoint to -6?
Old 11-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
Just found this thread...
So in a nutshell, when watching 3D set Depth to 20 and Viewpoint to -6?
Those are effective native-3D settings for the "LG EG9600 OLED TV", settings changed while 3D is activated during the playing of a 3D blu-ray source, also with "Super Resolution" in "Expert Control" changed from OFF to High, and "picture" custom calibration for Expert 1
Old 11-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #30
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Those are effective native-3D settings for the "LG EG9600 OLED TV", settings changed while 3D is activated while playing a 3D source, also with "Super Resolution" in "Expert Control" changed from OFF to High.
So they won't work in 2016 LG Oled?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
So they won't work in 2016 LG Oled?

Suggest If the LG features are there, definitely try them. Reset is always available at the bottom of the 3D mode list to change back to the default settings.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #32
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Suggest If the LG features are there, definitely try them.
My C6 has same exact features. I tried toying with depth before but never with viewpoint simultaneously.
How do we know that the corresponding viewpoint for depth 20 is - 6?

Old 11-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
My C6 has same exact features. I tried toying with depth before but never with viewpoint simultaneously.
How do we know that the corresponding viewpoint for depth 20 is - 6?

Viewpoint settings are a judgement I made observing screen-depth feature title credits with the settings at default and then 3D-Depth @ 20. Also using the negative 3D stereoscopic calibration evaluation pattern from Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition. The squares at screen depth and plus signs at variable pop-out levels.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #34
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Viewpoint settings are a judgement I made observing screen-depth feature title credits with the settings at default and then 3D-Depth @ 20. Also using the negative 3D stereoscopic calibration evaluation pattern from Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition. The squares at screen depth and plus signs at variable pop-out levels.
How did you figure out the exact levels of viewpoint and depth for Standard, Sports, Cinema, and Extreme, in the 2D>3D feature? The OSD does not show the levels, just the name of the current 3D mode engaged
Old 11-16-2016, 04:35 PM   #35
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
How did you figure out the exact levels of viewpoint and depth for Standard, Sports, Cinema, and Extreme, in the 2D>3D feature? The OSD does not show the levels, just the name of the current 3D mode engaged
To clarify for those who do not have the LG UHD OLED, Standard, Sports, Cinema, and Extreme are offered as presets only available when the LG in is in 2D to 3D Conversion mode and are not accessible in native 3D mode.

I just used the Cinema 3D conversion setting (Cinema = 15 depth -3 viewpoint) values that became visible when in manual mode, as a starting point for Cinema experimentation in native 3D mode @ 20.

Last edited by Paul H; 11-16-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #36
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
To clarify for those who do not have the LG UHD OLED, Standard, Sports, Cinema, and Extreme are offered as presets only available when the LG in is in 2D to 3D Conversion mode and are not accessible in native 3D mode.

I just used the Cinema 3D conversion setting (Cinema = 15 depth -3 viewpoint) values that became visible when in manual mode, as a starting point for Cinema experimentation in native 3D mode @ 20.
But I thought that once you select Cinema or Sports that depth and viewpoint values are not visible on the screen anymore

Old 11-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
But I thought that once you select Cinema or Sports that depth and viewpoint values are not visible on the screen anymore

From memory: They became visible (not changed) when switching back to "manual" mode.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #38
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
From memory: They became visible (not changed) when switching back to "manual" mode.
I'll go back and check...But def look forward to try maimum depth combined with -6 viewpoint...last time I messed with those settings picture looked morphed and gave me major eye strain, but I did not know what I was doing either
Old 11-16-2016, 10:13 PM   #39
Power Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
I found those settings from 2013 LG commercials for the 2D to 3D conversion. You are right on newer models the settings are not visible.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #40
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
I found those settings from 2013 LG commercials for the 2D to 3D conversion. You are right on newer models the settings are not visible.
I trust Paul's keen eye and I will try depth 20, viewpoint - 6

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors