Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.13

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.81
19 hrs ago
Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50

Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.47

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
I trust Paul's keen eye and I will try depth 20, viewpoint - 6

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
FYI: In attempting to fine-tune 3D Depth @ 20 for 100% 3D screen real-estate visibility with the "Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition" Stereoscopic Calibration 3D "Positioning" Pattern", I find both left and right eye views of side alignment edges become completely visible when the Viewpoint scale hits (negative 5). This should be more accurate than eye judgement, though the sides are visible by both eyes at (-6 to -9).
FYI: When 3D Depth is @ 20 and "Viewpoint" is at 0 (default), the left side is out of view with the right eye and the right side is out of view with the left eye.

Last edited by Paul H; 11-17-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #42
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
FYI: In attempting to fine-tune 3D Depth @ 20 for 100% 3D screen real-estate visibility with the "Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition" Stereoscopic Calibration 3D "Positioning" Pattern", I find both left and right eye views of side alignment edges become completely visible when the Viewpoint scale hits (negative 5). This should be more accurate than eye judgement, though the sides are visible by both eyes at (-6 to -9).
FYI: When 3D Depth is @ 20 and "Viewpoint" is at 0 (default), the left side is out of view with the right eye and the right side is out of view with the left eye.
I think the settings may vary from panel to panel. I tried 20/-6 and it resulted in too much crosstalk/ghosting...not sure if viewpoint should be increased or decreased on my Oled TV
Old 11-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
I think the settings may vary from panel to panel. I tried 20/-6 and it resulted in too much crosstalk/ghosting...not sure if viewpoint should be increased or decreased on my Oled TV
Can you please post what 3D features and possibly, what scenes?

Thanks!

A positive increase in Viewpoint from -5, (i.e. -4, -3,-2,-1, 0 (default), +1 +2, etc.), when 3D Depth is @ 20, will cut one eyes-view of an edge of a potentially complete image.

Last edited by Paul H; 11-17-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #44
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Can you please post what 3D features and possibly, what scenes?

Thanks!

A positive increase in Viewpoint from -5, (i.e. -4, -3,-2,-1,0, +1 +2, etc.), when 3D Depth is @ 20, will prevent will block the one eye-view of an edge of a potential complete image.
I used XMen-Apocalypse. Opening scene.
When Apocalypse is laying down before the transmutation there are a lot of cross lines or whatever they are called around the tomb. Not sure if viewpoint must be set higher or lower on my Oled C6
Old 11-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
When Apocalypse is laying down before the transmutation there are a lot of cross lines or whatever they are called around the tomb. Not sure if viewpoint must be set higher or lower on my Oled C6
What picture-mode are you using while in 3D mode?
Also, Aspect ratio setting should be "Just Scan" for one-to-one pixel mapping.
Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 8.19.42 AM.jpg

Last edited by Paul H; 11-17-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #46
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
What picture-mode are you using while in 3D mode?
Also, Aspect ratio setting should be "Just Scan" for one-to-one pixel mapping.
Attachment 154632
Expert 1
Aspect Ratio, Original, Just Scan
Super Resolution High
Old 11-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Expert 1
Aspect Ratio, Original, Just Scan
Super Resolution High
OK thanks. Will also check XMen-Apocalypse's opening scene when I get home tonight.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #48
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
OK thanks. Will also check XMen-Apocalypse's opening scene when I get home tonight.
Great. Let's keep in mind that I have a 2016 curved Oled so maybe the different panel, filter, or whatever is creating the crosstalk/ghosting
Old 11-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
The opening scene is pure clear 3D eye-candy on screen.
Thinking something is causing aliasing for you?
The cross lines I notice are golden rays of the sun's energy going up sculpted crevices towards the mutant and in a blue protecting forcefield looking like an electrical ora radiating around the mutant's body.
The resolution is extremely sharp in 3D, which I don't ever experience with theatrical 3D screenings..

My OLED screen is also curved, but I just don't see crosstalk, except rare occurrences that are extremely mild, from exhilarating depth separation.. I'm using standard RealD 3D glasses from the movie theater. Hope you can pinpoint the cause of artifacting.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #50
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
The opening scene is pure clear 3D eye-candy on screen.
Thinking something is causing aliasing for you?
The cross lines I notice are golden rays of the sun's energy going up sculpted crevices towards the mutant and in a blue protecting forcefield looking like an electrical ora radiating around the mutant's body.
The resolution is extremely sharp in 3D, which I don't ever experience with theatrical 3D screenings..

My OLED screen is also curved, but I just don't see crosstalk, except rare occurrences that are extremely mild, from exhilarating depth separation.. I'm using standard RealD 3D glasses from the movie theater. Hope you can pinpoint the cause of artifacting.
When the bad guy is laying on the tomb, I see cross lines in the tomb underneath him. I'm not talking about the golden rays crawling up, but the building structure itself, the edges are all split. I too have a curved Oled, a C6. I think the Spears and Muncil test patterns would work different on this panel.
I tried to apply Cinema to Lord of the Rings and it works great, but on my model it hides the values of depth and viewpoint when using 2D to 3D settings

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Not sure if viewpoint must be set higher or lower on my Oled C6
With the LG EG 9600 OLED, and using Spears & Munsil Stereoscopic Positioning and Alignment patterns for calibrating LG's "3D Depth" feature, I made a chart with corresponding "Viewpoint" values needed for accurate 3D alignment at visual intersecting points that are present at default settings, for comfort with 3D eye-focus and clarity-of-depth.

3D Depth : Viewpoint Calibration Values.jpg
Old 11-20-2016, 11:46 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
With the LG EG 9600 OLED, and using Spears & Munsil Stereoscopic Positioning and Alignment patterns for calibrating LG's "3D Depth" feature, I made a chart with corresponding "Viewpoint" values needed for accurate 3D alignment at visual intersecting points that are present at default settings, for comfort with 3D eye-focus and clarity-of-depth.

Attachment 154801
Nice info and chart, is this for native 3d or 2d-3d setting?
Old 11-20-2016, 11:50 PM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

3D Depth @ 20 / Viewpoint @ -5, effectively doubles the distance between depth layers looking into the screen. Pop-outs at the screen-Depth position remain the same distance coming out of the screen as when using the default settings of 3D Depth 10 / Viewpoint 0.

Example of a pop-out scene in Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D below:

Snapshot-2016-11-20 at 03_44_46 PM-1976108388.jpg
Old 11-20-2016, 11:54 PM   #54
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
Nice info and chart, is this for native 3d or 2d-3d setting?
The chart was made using native-3D activation of the display while using Spears & Munsil stereosopic calibration patterns.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:41 AM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Example of an extreme pop-out using the native-3D of "Jaws 3-D" with 3D Depth @ 20 / Viewpoint @ -5 keeps the eyes comfortably focused on the outer black lettering and also allow you to easily follow the red layers inward in complete focus and comfort.

Snapshot-2016-11-20 at 04_32_18 PM-1475650613.jpg

Same with the Potato Cod pop-out in IMAX Under The Sea 3D:

Snapshot-2016-11-20 at 04_50_19 PM-752483045.jpg

Last edited by Paul H; 11-21-2016 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Added Potato Cod pop-out scene
Old 11-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
3D Depth @ 20 / Viewpoint @ -5, effectively doubles the distance between depth layers looking into the screen. Pop-outs at the screen-Depth position remain the same distance coming out of the screen as when using the default settings of 3D Depth 10 / Viewpoint 0.

Example of a pop-out scene in Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D below:

Attachment 154810
One of the beautiful things about having the Depth @ 20 [that doubles the layer range] and Viewpoint @ -5 [for image convergence alignment], and the pop-outs being visually the same distance out of the screen as when set at default Where default = 3D Depth 10 / Viewpoint 0, is PROOF that the actual native-3D layers are now at 100% real-world depth distance;

The proof being: actual 3D-Depth increased by 10 increments (3D Depth scale for layer-range going from 10 to 20) and image Convergence pushed back into the screen 5 increments for proper alignment (setting Viewpoint -5 for alignment) which produces the same distance in Pop-out as Default settings.

Last edited by Paul H; 11-21-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #57
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

An important note for native 3D-Depth adjustments:

Never press the 3D button on the remote!
When pressed, this seems to always activate the LG's 2D ->3D conversion feature that will prevent access to the proper native-3D settings adjustments. If you accidentally press 3D, press it again to turn off the feature and then turn off the display.
When the display is turned back on, start fresh with the procedure below:

Make sure your settings are saved for native-3D and not 3D conversion.
Make sure a Blu-ray 3D is playing a 3D feature where 3D mode is automatically activated on screen.
Now press the remote's "settings" button (Pictured below) not the 3D button.

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 9.16.38 AM copy.jpg

This will access the native 3D Depth calibration settings while native-3D mode is activated.

Press the Settings icon >
then press:
Advanced >
Picture >
3D Settings >
3D Mode >
Auto & Manual:
Manual is chosen by default showing "3D Depth" & "Viewpoint" settings.
"3D Depth" (Default center = 10)

"3D Depth" goes from O to 20 (10 is default).

Remember "3D mode" has a "reset" button (bottom of the list) that will change all 3D settings back to factory default if desired.

Last edited by Paul H; 11-21-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Can today’s Blu-ray 3D movies display strong 3D, as strong as the 1950’s Golden era?

Yes, with LG’s 3D display, setup features can increase 3D layer ranges to real-world 3D depth levels from most Blu-ray 3D encodes, both native-3D and 3D conversions, as long as the source encode has been processed to access the real-world depth-cue layer levels.

Some older Blu-ray 3D conversions have been authored as duplication copies of film sources where early recordings do not allow the access of layer image properties for depth-cue adjustments.

Real-world 3D depth doesn’t require strength judgments of “mild, medium and strong” as visual observations.

When viewing "Golden era" 3D movies , they do not seem to increase their already 100% layer distance. Volume seems more resolved where the eyes can focus, to study the dimensional plane.

My Theory:
Decisions were made by the industry to set digital processes for resolving 3D depth layer ranges @ half-distance, to be used as the contemporary 3D standard for equipment default levels, both theatrically and for the consumer market.

Probable reasons?
The goal was to minimize complaints of ghosting, eyestrain, and medical vision conditions that affect a number of people in the population that were realized in the 50’s Golden era failure.

Last edited by Paul H; 11-21-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

LG 3D settings - native 3D function:

The LG's "3D Depth" feature allows the display to resolve 3D variably, up to the limits provided on the 3D source.

It is a useful 3D adjustment tool for consumers.
It is effective for the limitations of 3D visualization, for displays prone to ghosting artifacts. It can minimize eyestrain at the expense of resolving 3D strength, and a much needed necessity for visual medical vision conditions.
For 3D enthusiast, this is the means for accessing "director-intended" 3D, by being able to reproduce the digital depth information when captured from the source.

3D Depth: 0.........10.........20
Current industry standards resolves 3D @ 10, "Default" setting.

3D Viewpoint:

This is the "3D Convergence" tool. This will place the entire 3D image inward or outward in respect to the screen-depth.

It is also used for calibration to properly align 3D image placement for variable 3D Depth choices.

Last edited by Paul H; 11-23-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:31 AM   #60
Power Member

Oct 2009

Quote:

Attachment 154801
Thanks!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors