Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
NBA 2K21 (PS4)
$69.70

Shenmue III (PS4)
$9.99

Street Fighter V (PS4)
$20.99

Wolfenstein: Alt History Collection (PS4)
$36.04

XIII (PS4)
$24.00

NHL 21 Ultimate Edition (PS4)
$41.08
2 min ago
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (PS4)
$19.93

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV (PS4)
$39.99

The Fisherman: Fishing Planet (PS4)
$27.99

Who Wants to Be A Millionare (PS4)
$19.99

Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood (PS4)
$49.99

Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of An Elusive Age (PS4)
$32.84

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 11-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #1
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2012
Origae-6
Default Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Quote:
The third game in the rebooted Tomb Raider franchise is reportedly named Shadow of the Tomb Raider, according to an image posted to Reddit earlier today.

Reddit user Tripleh280 spotted someone on the Montreal subway working on what appears to be a presentation, featuring the logo for a Shadow of the Tomb Raider in the upper right-hand corner.

A source speaking to Kotaku confirmed to the outlet that Shadow of the Tomb Raider is in fact currently the title of what would be the third game in the series, which relaunched with 2013's Tomb Raider.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/...he-tomb-raider

Last edited by Mavrick; 04-27-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:58 AM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2009
UK

I was kinda hoping they would've returned to the formula of Tomb Raider: Insert Subtitle Here, but never mind. Guess they've gotta round out that trilogy.

Anyway, I loved Rise so I'm really looking forward to this one. I just hope they don't pull that timed exclusivity crap again.

EDIT: It's rumoured that another developer is at the helm. Not sure how I feel about that. Crystal haven't had the greatest track record, but the last few three games have been so good.

EDIT II: Okay, another rumour is that Crystal's working on one game and Eidos Montreal another, so maybe this is an Arkham Origins sorta situation. Which would suck.

Last edited by dallywhitty; 11-01-2016 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:41 AM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

If a new developer is working on it, maybe the chances it is released for all consoles that can handle are better. But yeah, the console exclusiveness for a year is disappointing, as Microsoft pays big bucks to license the early rights to the game on XB1 only. Only good thing is the PS4 version is packed with all of the features.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

I hope it will be more exploring and puzzles and less shooting but I guess that's wishful thinking...
Old 11-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

I hope for dual pistols and a Lara with a sense of humor
Old 11-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
I hope it will be more exploring and puzzles and less shooting but I guess that's wishful thinking...
Rise was definitely a step in the right direction, but yes, I'd love for there to be more focus on exploration and puzzle-solving. The challenge tombs were terrific and I loved the 'Flooded Archives' level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
I hope for dual pistols and a Lara with a sense of humor
Yes to dual pistols! I was fangirlin' when Lara used them at the end of the 2013 game.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #7
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I'll be happy if they just make another game & see it all the way through.
Thanks given by:
sukraj (04-27-2018)
Old 11-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

I really want to see Tomb Raider go open world. You'd be able to explore the gigantic open forests, deserts and mountains, searching for the next hidden tomb through clues and puzzles that open the tomb doors. That would be awesome and yet I don't believe it'll ever happen.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
the Anals of Uranus

personally i think its too difficult to keep a great immersive story in an open world game .. its too easy for things to be triggered in wrong orders or do something before doing something else first .. etc kind of problems.... that stuff can just ruin a story experience and lets be honest that the story is what makes this game and like the uncharted series as enjoyable as they are ...
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (03-24-2018), kristoffer (03-25-2018)
Old 11-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodintentions View Post
personally i think its too difficult to keep a great immersive story in an open world game .. its too easy for things to be triggered in wrong orders or do something before doing something else first .. etc kind of problems.... that stuff can just ruin a story experience and lets be honest that the story is what makes this game and like the uncharted series as enjoyable as they are ...
GTAV had a great open world story with 3 characters, so it's possible, though I see your point. I just want the freedom to go wherever you want, discovering tombs as you explore the giant open world of Tomb Raider. That would be awesome and I was hoping that was the case with the first PS4 Tomb Raider. The reviews kept saying "The forest hub" and I was thinking, oh, so you can explore a big forest and go hunting and then check out the other areas besides. But it was a linear game. A solid story though, yes.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
the Anals of Uranus

i couldnt get into GTA but what i should say is that its hard to keep immersed in a story when you can too easily be sidetracked for hours doing stuff that has nothing to do wit hthe story .....and then you may forget what the plot was or something like that ... its the reason that once i start playing a game like this ..its the only game i play until i finish the story so i dont forget the story details ..
Old 11-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodintentions View Post
i couldnt get into GTA but what i should say is that its hard to keep immersed in a story when you can too easily be sidetracked for hours doing stuff that has nothing to do wit hthe story .....and then you may forget what the plot was or something like that ... its the reason that once i start playing a game like this ..its the only game i play until i finish the story so i dont forget the story details ..
I see what you're saying. Yes, if a game required you to go on side mission quests, that could dilute the effectiveness of the story and pacing. If it doesn't require it and you can just play through, then that could work even in an open world. The point A to B destination stuff would be the only thing delaying progression of the story, other than offering the experience of exploring as you go.

Either way, I can definitely see all Tomb Raider games being linear style games in terms of the storyline and path throughout the game, from one level to the next, as has been the tradition with the series. I am glad to see a few more open map areas though.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:48 AM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
USA

If anyone is interested, Target has a buy one, get one 50% sale on a bunch of things this week, including some video games. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is one of those games.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:09 AM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2009
UK

I hate to be that dude, but why has the the thread been changed to 'Lara Croft: Shadow of the Tomb Raider'? Lara's name hasn't been part of the title in years.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #15
Power Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
I hate to be that dude, but why has the the thread been changed to 'Lara Croft: Shadow of the Tomb Raider'? Lara's name hasn't been part of the title in years.
The usual over-moderation, perhaps?

Absolutely loved the last two, so I'm really looking forward to this one. Good to see there's no exclusivity this time, though that no doubt means there'll be plenty of DLC we'll have to pay extra for since GotY and Greatest Hits editions are becoming much rarer in the digital era, at least physical releases of such. That was the one good thing about having to wait on the PS4 edition for the last game: by the time it came out, everything was included.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #16
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
S p a r t a

The teaser (specially the very last shot) reminded me of Mel Gibson's Apocalypto
Old 03-25-2018, 12:51 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Denmark

I am replaying the first game at the moment.
It feels great to shoot with the bow! Count me in for round three.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:29 PM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2009
UK

Don't forget, lads and ladettes, that the full trailer will be released tomorrow!

Turns out the game will be available in a standard edition, a Croft edition, a collector's edition (with a statue, soundtrack, season pass, and more), and a Steelbook.

P.S. A mod really ought to change the title.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (04-26-2018), Eagle1487 (04-27-2018), Gamma_Winstead (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 11:39 PM   #19
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
S p a r t a

Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

This is going to be great!

Most anticipated game this year next to Bayonetta 3 for me. Please let it have HDR support for PS4 version this time.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4