Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Made in Abyss Theatrical Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Shutter Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
An American Werewolf in London (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Ef: A Tale of Memories & Melodies (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Gattaca 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$42.95
13 hrs ago
Gamera: The Heisei Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$47.99

The Cat Returns (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Whisper of the Heart (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries

Old 03-01-2017, 02:11 PM   #1

Feb 2014
Default Best buy Exclusive Steelbook sold out EVERY time!!!

Is anyone else frustrated with Best Buy exclusive Steelbooks being sold out weeks before the release?!?! I'm sick and tired of having to pay extra on ebay to all the snakes that buy up all of them then sell them for a markup. Is there a way to snag these before they get scooped up? As soon as I saw a listing for Doctor Strange , Hacksaw Ridge, and Passengers, I went to preorder and they are gone! How do u get these releases?
Old 03-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Backed up: 53.57 TBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord 4 View Post
Is anyone else frustrated with Best Buy exclusive Steelbooks being sold out weeks before the release?!?! I'm sick and tired of having to pay extra on ebay to all the snakes that buy up all of them then sell them for a markup. Is there a way to snag these before they get scooped up? As soon as I saw a listing for Doctor Strange , Hacksaw Ridge, and Passengers, I went to preorder and they are gone! How do u get these releases?
They are never sold out before release date at Best Buy. They usually get about 5-10 copies in store, but you have to usually get there by early afternoon if you want a copy. Also, Hacksaw Ridge is a Target exclusive, not Best Buy.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #3

Feb 2014

Your right about hacksaw ridge. I forgot that was target. So your saying that even though I'm not able to reserve store pickup, if I go to BB on the release date they will have copies on the shelf? If that's the case why don't they have it available to be reserved online?
Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Special Member

Dec 2010
Orange County, California.

I'm always able to secure store pickup about midnight the night before. For example, I kept wanting to order Doctor Strange Steelbook for store pickup but it wasn't available for the store I wanted till late Monday night. That seems to be how it usually is but I have never missed a Steelbook I wanted.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Backed up: 53.57 TBs

Quote:
Your right about hacksaw ridge. I forgot that was target. So your saying that even though I'm not able to reserve store pickup, if I go to BB on the release date they will have copies on the shelf? If that's the case why don't they have it available to be reserved online?
Yes, their website will say sold out, but it is really saying sold out online. They always have a limited number of copies in store. It may be as few as 3-4, but they will have them. I remember going to get Zero Dark Thirty and Captain Phillips. I got the last steelbook of each in store and this was at lunch.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
They have to leave some copies available for walk-in customers to be fair to everyone. Not everyone knows how to use websites to order items.

It is true though. If you can get to your local store before they open and can be one of the first through the doors, you will get a copy from the shelf. Some stores, despite being unable to place an in-store pick-up order, will have 20 copies. Heck... my local store in Vancouver still had 12 copies of the Dr Strange 2D steelbook on the shelf at noon yesterday. We didn't get a 3D version. That was after all in-store pick-up orders were fulfilled AND the store opening crowds were done with their stock diminishing purchases!
Old 03-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
USA

I think this thread belongs in the Steelbook section of the forum.

As far as the Steels being sold out @ BB.com,

Here is how their system works, a pre order link will pop up ahead of time with a higher cost, then once they fulfill the amount of Steels for the .com division the link will either be removed or the option to pre-order will be disabled.

but..

It does come back on in the AM on the release date with the actual "on Sale" price.

Hope that helps you.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #8

Feb 2014

Thanks for the help guys. I will start going to BB at opening to get these.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:01 PM   #9

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russhole View Post
I'm always able to secure store pickup about midnight the night before. For example, I kept wanting to order Doctor Strange Steelbook for store pickup but it wasn't available for the store I wanted till late Monday night. That seems to be how it usually is but I have never missed a Steelbook I wanted.
I guess I will try to preorder the night before. If not I will just go to the store. I'm tired of paying extra in eBay for steelbooks.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #10
Special Member

Oct 2015
Silver Spring, MD

The only Best Buy steelbook I was not able to walk into the store and get my hands on first thing was the Mad Max: Fury Road steelbook.
Thanks given by:
Malv1 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #11
Expert Member

Nov 2010

Lol, there's still Force Awakens, TMNT, Suicide Squad and Jason Bourne steelbooks at most of the BBY's in my area. So not all of them sell out.

Moana will sell out day 1, those disney collectors are ruthless.

Rogue 1 will probably be similar to Force Awakens, and will only sell out if they break it up with 2D & 3D like Doctor Strange.
Thanks given by:
DarkEco910 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Knightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shorts View Post
Lol, there's still Force Awakens, TMNT, Suicide Squad and Jason Bourne steelbooks at most of the BBY's in my area. So not all of them sell out.

Moana will sell out day 1, those disney collectors are ruthless.

Rogue 1 will probably be similar to Force Awakens, and will only sell out if they break it up with 2D & 3D like Doctor Strange.
Don't forget X-Men: Apocalypse. I'm not sure about other stores, but mine still has about 15 or more.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Knightmare

Dark Lord, you're among good people here. If you don't end up preordering immediately or just not able to make it into a store on time during release day, there are members here that do not scalp and will sell at cost plus shipping, materials, and PayPal fees. You have but to ask. eBay is full of scum of the Earth scalpers but with a few rare gems that are looking to help people rather than rob you of your first-born.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #14

Oct 2012
Eagle River Alaska

Quote:
I work for Best Buy, I can tell you that my store had at least 30 copies of Doctor Strange (both 2D and 3D) Prior to opening. Granted when I left last night around 9 PM we were down to a single steelbook.
Rouge one should be up right now as well as Moana.
Once a selected store drops past a certain on hand stock level it becomes unavailable online.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/moana-st...?skuId=5712425

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rogue-on...?skuId=5734302

Last edited by cowbybill; 03-01-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: adding links more information
Old 03-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #15
Expert Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
I pre ordered dr strange on jan 6th. No ones fault but yours that you waited till the last minute. Even guardians of the galaxy which sold out pretty quick I still had no problems getting a pre order in for.

Just go to a bestbuy store, I always see the steelbooks there on release. Not a lot of them but they usually have a few.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #16

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertz523 View Post
Dark Lord, you're among good people here. If you don't end up preordering immediately or just not able to make it into a store on time during release day, there are members here that do not scalp and will sell at cost plus shipping, materials, and PayPal fees. You have but to ask. eBay is full of scum of the Earth scalpers but with a few rare gems that are looking to help people rather than rob you of your first-born.
Thanks for that. I should have inquired earlier. I've gotten so many Steelbooks on ebay for way more than what I should have paid.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #17

Apr 2011
There and Back Again...

As others have said you just gotta preorder as soon as it goes up or try the morning of for in store pick up. I check this site multiple times a day (I'm a bit obsessive) for information on exclusives/preorders etc. Good luck to you!
Old 03-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #18

Mar 2014

Not "every" time. There's still plenty copies of Force Awakens steels to be had. I still see Civil War steels from time to time, among other, smaller movies.

But then, these are limited. If they weren't no one would care, which is why you see those Star Wars steelbooks everywhere, and tons of them, because they cranked out so many, so people didn't care. Scarcity is what drives them - a double-edged sword for sure, but if everyone could get one, no one would care.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Knightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzDizz View Post
As others have said you just gotta preorder as soon as it goes up or try the morning of for in store pick up. I check this site multiple times a day (I'm a bit obsessive) for information on exclusives/preorders etc. Good luck to you!
Tuesday thru Friday, I'm logged in ALL DAY at my work station with this window minimized under my scheduling application. I have a HUGE problem...

Thanks given by:
NVllyRnnr (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #20

Apr 2011
There and Back Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertz523 View Post
Tuesday thru Friday, I'm logged in ALL DAY at my work station with this window minimized under my scheduling application. I have a HUGE problem...

Me too! I'm at work right now. Do they have bluray anonymous meetings?
Thanks given by:
Tchotchke (03-01-2017), TwoTimesPrime (03-01-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks > SteelBook Collection Galleries