Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
6 hrs ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
4 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
14 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
15 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34

Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 11-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV
Sony Pictures Morbius (January 21, 2022)

'Spider-Man' Spinoff: Morbius the Living Vampire Movie in the Works With 'Power Rangers' Writers

The character first appeared in 'Amazing Spider-Man #101,' the first issue not written by Spider co-creator Stan Lee.

Quote:
Sony’s cinematic universe based on Spider-Man characters just got a little bigger.

The studio is developing Morbius, a feature project centered on Spider-Man antihero Morbius the Living Vampire.

Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama, who worked on the recent Power Rangers movie, wrote the script, which was just submitted to the studio after a secret development process.

Morbius was created by writer Roy Thomas and artist Gil Kane and first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #101, the first issue not written by Spider-Man co-creator Stan Lee.

Morbius is Dr. Michael Morbius, a scientist who suffered from a rare blood disease and attempted to cure himself to disastrous results. He instead became afflicted with a condition that was a form of vampirism — the thirst for blood, along with fangs and super strength — and fought Spider-Man. Over time, however, he became a slightly heroic figure in his own right.

Details of Sony’s take on the character are not known.

Sony has been furiously developing its stable of Marvel-licensed characters that are mostly based off the heroes and villains that are connected to Spider-Man. However, these new movies will not be connected to Sony’s Tom Holland movies and not connected to the Marvel Cinematic Universe that is being produced by Marvel Studios.

Sony had no comment.

Sharpless and Sazama previously tackled vampirism with Dracula Untold, Universal’s origin of the most famous vampire that starred Luke Evans. They also count The Last Witch Hunter and Gods of Egypt among their credits.

The duo also are showrunning and writing the Lost in Space reboot for Netflix that is to debut next year.

They are repped by ICM Partners.
from THR
Old 11-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

May 2011
Raleigh

Thanks given by:
ArrestedDevelopment (11-14-2017), cinemaphile (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2009

Thanks given by:
ArrestedDevelopment (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #4

Nov 2009

You had me with Morbius. You lost me with those writers.
Thanks given by:
Darkstream (11-13-2017), JohnCarpenterLives (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Venom, Silver Sable, Black Cat, and Morbius....

Why?

After Marvel's Avengers 4 and Spider-Man: Homecoming 2, Sony will have a nice little pocket universe established to add Spidey to.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2009

Morbius would have been a good way too introduced vampires into the MCU (ex: Blade). Screw you, Sony.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentral View Post
Morbius would have been a good way too introduced vampires into the MCU (ex: Blade). Screw you, Sony.
Just like with Venom, I can see a Morbius movie working well without Spider-Man.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

I don't really get the point of this, but Morbius is a character I barely know anything about so I"ll keep an open mind. With the right director and cast, I could be on board.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
Just like with Venom, I can see a Morbius movie working well without Spider-Man.
Same with Gambit as well.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Quote:
Same with Gambit as well.

I guess that could work. I'm sure it could, but I just personally prefer Gambit as part of the X-Men team, rather than solo. Venom and Morbius have a dark horror edge that they lend themselves to and I'm willing to embrace.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #11
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2009

Quote:
I guess that could work. I'm sure it could, but I just personally prefer Gambit as part of the X-Men team, rather than solo. Venom and Morbius have a dark horror edge that they lend themselves to and I'm willing to embrace.
In all seriousness, I don't like this idea because at this point Spider-Man is not going to have any villains left to fight in the MCU if Sony keeps giving them all solo movies. Besides, Morbius isn't very original at all. We've seen the same concepts done a dozen times on film.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Quote:
In all seriousness, I don't like this idea because at this point Spider-Man is not going to have any villains left to fight in the MCU if Sony keeps giving them all solo movies. Besides, Morbius isn't very original at all. We've seen the same concepts done a dozen times on film.
So you want Morbius to be saved as a villain for Spider-Man, yet you don't like Morbius because he's not original? Ok.

I doubt anyone was ever intending on using Morbius for a Spider-Man villain anyway. We still have the Sinister Six, and then some, still up in the air. So why shouldn't the studio take advantage of the character and make a stand-alone movie if they own the rights?
Old 11-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2009

Quote:
So you want Morbius to be saved as a villain for Spider-Man, yet you don't like Morbius because he's not original? Ok.

I doubt anyone was ever intending on using Morbius for a Spider-Man villain anyway. We still have the Sinister Six, and then some, still up in the air. So why shouldn't the studio take advantage of the character and make a stand-alone movie if they own the rights?
But where do you draw the line then? If Venom, Carnage, Silver Sable, Black Cat, Morbius, Scorpion, The Sinister Six, Kraven The Hunter, The Chameleon, Norman Osborn, etc, are all going to appear in this new Sony desperate cash grab universe then what villains will there be left for Marvel to use in the MCU?
Thanks given by:
thunderforce (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Quote:
But where do you draw the line then? If Venom, Carnage, Silver Sable, Black Cat, Morbius, Scorpion, The Sinister Six, Kraven The Hunter, The Chameleon, Norman Osborn, etc, are all going to appear in this new Sony desperate cash grab universe then what villains will there be left for Marvel to use in the MCU?
That's for Marvel and Sony to decide. I'm sure they already worked out which villains will face off with Spidey, which ones will get solo movies, and which ones will be sidelined. We as fans just have to hope for the best within our lifetime, because we're never going to see everything anyway. I'm sure there's someone out there who wants a Spider-Man vs. Puma movie within the MCU. I wouldn't hold your breath, though.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #15
Special Member

Oct 2007

Not sure Morbius needs his own movie, but we'll see how this translates.

It's puzzling as to why they attribute Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama to Power Rangers when they only got a "story by" credit on the movie.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:33 PM   #16
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

This is the least exciting potential S-M project I've heard of so far.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #17
Power Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
Spot and Tombstone.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2008
Albany NY

Morbius vs Selene, make it happen Sony.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #19
Power Member

Aug 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada

LOL the Sony cash grab universe . SCGU . Watch they will probably end up loosing money on it .
Old 11-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #20
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Was Blade successful because it was a Marvel comics character or because it was a kick-ass vampire movie?

Not everything needs to be part of a big shared cinematic universe to be good!
Thanks given by:
Batmon77 (11-17-2017), sanriel (05-27-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies