Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
7 hrs ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
5 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
15 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
18 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
16 hrs ago
Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
10 hrs ago
Krull (Blu-ray)
$5.99
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 11-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #21
Banned

Feb 2015

The fundamental problem with Sony trying to build a whole universe around Spider-Man villains is that Spider-Man only has like 3-5 good villains. After you've done Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Venom, Carnage, and Kraven, what else can you do? None of the other villains are interesting enough to carry their own movie. What, are we gonna get a Spidercide movie?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #22
Power Member

Aug 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada

I don't think the problem is the villains , it is no Spiderman . Unless you subed him out with a different Spiderman , like Miles or Gwen . Then it might work . It could be in it's own universe , that way the MCU and SCGU can both use all the villains they wanted too .
Old 11-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #23
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaScott128 View Post
The fundamental problem with Sony trying to build a whole universe around Spider-Man villains is that Spider-Man only has like 3-5 good villains. After you've done Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Venom, Carnage, and Kraven, what else can you do? None of the other villains are interesting enough to carry their own movie. What, are we gonna get a Spidercide movie?
I still really want a trippy af Spidey vs. Mysterio movie.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:20 PM   #24
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

But Morbius and Venom are not going to be villains in these films. They are going to be the main protagonists and treated as anti-heroes.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #25
Power Member

Aug 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream View Post
But Morbius and Venom are not going to be villains in these films. They are going to be the main protagonists and treated as anti-heroes.
That is stupid with Venom , because he is not Venom until he interacts with Spiderman .
Old 11-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #26
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderforce View Post
That is stupid with Venom , because he is not Venom until he interacts with Spiderman .

Well, this ain't gonna be 100% faithful to the comics.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #27
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentral View Post
In all seriousness, I don't like this idea because at this point Spider-Man is not going to have any villains left to fight in the MCU if Sony keeps giving them all solo movies. Besides, Morbius isn't very original at all. We've seen the same concepts done a dozen times on film.
Can you give examples please?

After Amazing Spider-Man 2/Electro i didnt hear anyone protest The Shocker being in Spider-Man Homecoming.
How many Green Goblins have there been?

Morbius is not Blade and kids dont tend to factor that franchises contributions to the CBM Genre
Old 11-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #28
Banned

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
I still really want a trippy af Spidey vs. Mysterio movie.
It would be fun to see Mysterio in a Spider-Man film. But I don't want a Mysterio film. He's not an interesting enough character to support an entire movie.
Quote:
That's the problem. These characters were created as gimmicks for Spider-Man to fight. There is not enough to them to support a whole series.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Portland, OR

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong. Spider-Man and Batman are the top two characters Most actual comic book fans will agree on that they have the best rogues gallery.

The fact you included Carnage of all people in his "best" is laughable. He is shallow as all hell and Venom isn't much better.
Thanks given by:
Batmon77 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #30
Banned

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiserfan View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. Spider-Man and Batman are the top two characters Most actual comic book fans will agree on that they have the best rogues gallery.

The fact you included Carnage of all people in his "best" is laughable. He is shallow as all hell and Venom isn't much better.
You can make a Joker movie that's just about the Joker. Batman doesn't have to be in it. The Joker is a strong enough character to support a film all to himself.

You can't do that with most Spider-Man villains. They work as foils for Spider-Man, and as fun gimmicks that lead to interesting fights. But on their own, there's not enough going on to justify an entire film dedicate solely to themself. The Green Goblin is a great villain for Spider-Man, but you can't make a Green Goblin movie with Green Goblin as the protagonist and expect it to work.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #31
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Quote:

That's the problem. These characters were created as gimmicks for Spider-Man to fight. There is not enough to them to support a whole series.

So then that gives the writers plenty of room to develop them into stronger characters.

And yet, when people watch MCU movies, they complain about the villains being underdeveloped.

Maybe I see both Venom and Morbius more as monsters than villains, and that's what makes these character concepts work for me for solo films. Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman, Jekyll and Hyde, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Fly, The Blob, The Thing... Jeeze, use your imaginations.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #32
Banned

Feb 2015

Quote:
Maybe I see both Venom and Morbius more as monsters than villains, and that's what makes these character concepts work for me for solo films. Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman, Jekyll and Hyde, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Fly, The Blob, The Thing... Jeeze, use your imaginations.
If you want to make a vampire movie, why does it have to be about Morbius? If you're making an alien movie, why does it have to be about Venom? If they're just using the brand name and making a generic monster movie, then what's the point? What makes these characters interesting and memorable is their relation to Spider-Man, the way they play off his character and challenge him. If you take Spider-Man out of the equation, what's the point of making a movie with this character?
Thanks given by:
CyberpunkCentral (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #33
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmon77 View Post
Can you give examples please?
The Fly, Jekyll and Hyde, The Wolfman, I Am Legend, and pretty much every vampire film ever made.

Quote:
After Amazing Spider-Man 2/Electro i didnt hear anyone protest The Shocker being in Spider-Man Homecoming.
How many Green Goblins have there been?
What the hell does that got to do with anything?

Quote:
Morbius is not Blade and kids dont tend to factor that franchises contributions to the CBM Genre
Really? Because the whole reason they are making it is because it's a Marvel character. Sony think we will watch anything with the Marvel brand attached to it. That's the whole reason why this is being made. Not because it's a great concept for a story.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #34
Power Member

Aug 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada

Quote:
The Fly, Jekyll and Hyde, The Wolfman, I Am Legend, and pretty much every vampire film ever made.

Really? Because the whole reason they are making it is because it's a Marvel character. Sony think we will watch anything with the Marvel brand attached to it. That's the whole reason why this is being made. Not because it's a great concept for a story.
I wonder if you should start a SCGU thread lol .
Thanks given by:
CyberpunkCentral (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #35
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2015
Indoors™

A vampire movie? In that case I hope it sucks.

Thanks given by:
Darth Marcus (11-14-2017), octagon (11-13-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 12:14 AM   #36
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012

Quote:
If you want to make a vampire movie, why does it have to be about Morbius? If you're making an alien movie, why does it have to be about Venom? If they're just using the brand name and making a generic monster movie, then what's the point? What makes these characters interesting and memorable is their relation to Spider-Man, the way they play off his character and challenge him. If you take Spider-Man out of the equation, what's the point of making a movie with this character?
Because they can.

Morbius has his own origin story and design that makes him different than other vampires. Venom has his own origin story and design that makes him different than other alien creatures. If you try to copy that and call it something else, then they would just be Morbius and Venom rip-offs. But you can take Spider-Man out of the equation and make these characters just as interesting without him by fleshing them out. Yes, I believe you can. They are certainly interesting enough to stand on their own, but it will be the strength of the writing and direction that will make all the difference.
Thanks given by:
Batmon77 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 AM   #37
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2009

Thanks given by:
Agent Bond (11-17-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 AM   #38
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011
New York City

Quote:

Morbius is not like Dr. Jeckll and Mr Hyde.
Theres no duality story there.
I doubt youve read a Morbius arc.

To be real i dont think its something that should be a priority, but its a new iteration of Vampirism. Blade still has supernatural connections but Morbius is a Sci-Fi version of a vampire without the garlic, cross, and mirror stuff.
Blade kinda already covered the whole vampire/not vampire stuff, but w Blade on the back burner right now, Morbius as the Anti-hero is a cool direction if written right.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:20 AM   #39
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2009

Quote:
Morbius is not like Dr. Jeckll and Mr Hyde.
Theres no duality story there.
I doubt youve read a Morbius arc.

To be real i dont think its something that should be a priority, but its a new iteration of Vampirism. Blade still has supernatural connections but Morbius is a Sci-Fi version of a vampire without the garlic, cross, and mirror stuff.
Blade kinda already covered the whole vampire/not vampire stuff, but w Blade on the back burner right now, Morbius as the Anti-hero is a cool direction if written right.
Like I said before, where do you draw the line? You can say all these cool things about any Spider-Man. Ask yourself, can they really carry a franchise?
Old 11-14-2017, 02:26 AM   #40
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011
New York City

Quote:
Like I said before, where do you draw the line? You can say all these cool things about any Spider-Man. Ask yourself, can they really carry a franchise?
Blade had 3 films.

Guardians Of The Galaxy has 3 films.

Fuskin' GROOT and Rocket Racoon are household names and Halloween costumes in 2017.

Why are u still stuck on ONLY big name deserve the green light.

There is NO heirarchy anymore.

The BLOB will get a SOLO film!!!!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies