Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50

Monster Hunt (Blu-ray)
$15.49

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Bait 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 11-23-2017, 12:36 AM   #1
Power Member

Dec 2011
Gotham
Thumbs up 2017 Panasonic EX750 - 3D TV lives on!!

Hey guys,

Just when we were all getting down in the dumps about TV manufacturers completely dropping 3D from their lineup this year, there is a beacon of hope for us 3D fans. After receiving an email regarding the upcoming sales one thing stood out to me, a 2017 75" Panasonic 4K HDR TV with 3D support! I thought it was a misprint or I was seeing things so I looked further and sure enough, Panasonic's new 2017 lineup consists of a large range of different TV with one particular series the EX750 (EX780 in Europe/Australia) offering 3D support!

I apologise if this is common knowledge to you all, but I've been out of the loop this year regarding 3D TV's since hearing the new early on about it being dropped by every manufacturer. So if there are people like me who haven't been keeping up or have missed it, this thread is for you.

You really have to give Panasonic praise here. They have a TV that suites all different kinds of buyers in their lineup and the fact that they have specifically made one series which still supports 3D really goes to show they care about every type of consumer. The good thing is the price for the 75" was amazing! (around $3000 USD with this sale). There are also 65", 58" and 50" versions!

I might write Panasonic an email to thank them for doing this because it was such a nice surprise to find out about this news. Congrats to them for being supportive. 3D lives on my friends...

Quote:
As the top-tier LCDs from 2016 continue to be sold this year, Panasonic’s 2017 LED LCD range begins in the middle tier. The EX750 is the top model of this middle tier. It has a peak brightness of around 550 nits, but it also uses the same Studio Colour HCX2 processor found in the premium OLED models.

It is an edge-lit LCD – none of Panasonic’s 2017 4K TVs are direct lit. It uses a new local dimming approach: local dimming tends to involve splitting the lighting into zones to separate the light and dark areas, but Panasonic says it has found a way to manipulate the LCD panel itself and limit light bleeds. The idea is to maximise the level of contrast you’d typically get from an LCD TV.

The EX750 has a curious ‘Swivel and Lift’ design, which does exactly as it suggests. You’ll be able to adjust the TV’s height and the direction it faces. Well, the 58-inch and 50-inch versions, anyway. The 65-inch version only has the swivel element and the 75-inch version doesn’t move at all.

Last and least: the EX750 is the only model in the entire range to support 3D. It uses the active shutter system. Demand for 3D has dwindled to the point where most manufacturers just don’t bother any more, but you may want to look at this model if you’ve invested heavily in 3D Blu-rays.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/p...4k-hdr-2952995
Thanks given by:
Bluray3d4life (11-27-2017), cochon (11-26-2017), EVERRET (11-24-2017), evoll (11-23-2017), FingolfinFinwe (12-04-2017), Joe D. (11-23-2017), sonic_debauchery (12-16-2017), whippet (12-18-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 01:27 AM   #2

Mar 2017

panasonic also bailed out 3d back in the day when they made 3d blu-ray players that provided checkerboard format for Samsung Dlp' s when Samsung wouldn't even support there own tv's. that also got all the Mitsubishi tv's up and running. panasonic is the Rambo of 3d! great company. I sill have a 3d pany. plasma that works great.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:53 AM   #3
Special Member

Jul 2009

They seem to have gotten out of the US market though. Still, I'll import a TV if I have to before settling for one that can't do 3D.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:19 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Hi nightopian,

Thanks for passing on that news.

Its a first step! As many of us have said, it could be slowly reintroduced as a feature by some manufacturers as time goes on.

Panasonic wouldn't have done it without a reason. There could be others following. And its in all screen sizes. I'm personally glad to see it's active too since that's what I own.

But its the first step. And as I suggested, it's being done without the fanfare.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Hello All.

Unfortunately in a way this again confirms the death of the 3d market. This tv comes from a manufacturer who really does no business in the US, it is active,not passive, which is basically an inferior design now with 4k being used in the passive lg tvs, and it does not use OLED technology.

I hate to tell everyone but there is no future for 3d in the US. But really who gives a shite. We have access to over 350 wonderful blu ray 3d movies, can continue to get new product for at least another year or two from overseas, and lg oled tvs are still available, so the industry can go f itself. I have protected myself. You still have time to protect yourself but you better act soon. I know the OLEDs are expensive but if you don't get one now you'll only have yourself to blame. From a man who loves 3d almost more than life itself, you've been warned.

ps you can get region free oppo 203s with coupon for $650.00 from Bombay Electronics. It is worth it. Trust me.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Hello All.

Unfortunately in a way this again confirms the death of the 3d market. This tv comes from a manufacturer who really does no business in the US, it is active,not passive, which is basically an inferior design now with 4k being used in the passive lg tvs, and it does not use OLED technology.

I hate to tell everyone but there is no future for 3d in the US. But really who gives a shite. We have access to over 350 wonderful blu ray 3d movies, can continue to get new product for at least another year or two from overseas, and lg oled tvs are still available, so the industry can go f itself. I have protected myself. You still have time to protect yourself but you better act soon. I know the OLEDs are expensive but if you don't get one now you'll only have yourself to blame. From a man who loves 3d almost more than life itself, you've been warned.

ps you can get region free oppo 203s with coupon for $650.00 from Bombay Electronics. It is worth it. Trust me.
Hi Wild Bill

There is no crystal ball. Its a new generation of young consumers entering the market. 3D is not being ballyhooed as a new everyone needs to have item that's going to revolutionize the home theater experience. Its being reintroduced as a feature. Slowly maybe more will come aboard again, maybe not.

But why condemn it? Why not just wait and see if it just becomes a feature in some sets and left at that? There is a niche market now and with more theater releases, the potential for the home if not used to catipault overall sagging television sales like it was years ago, could be different this time around.

You may be right. But its best to wait and see in an unpredictable consumer market.

And would a niche following as there is now be considered a failure if 3D wasn't hyped with unreasonable expectations in hopes of jump starting sagging television sales? I wonder.
Thanks given by:
whippet (12-18-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #7

Jul 2017
england

its a good tv

but since I saw it on an oled tv in passive I just couldn't justify spending that much on an active one
Old 11-26-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
Expert Member

Sep 2008
London, UK

I see that the top range Sony ZD9 models also have 3D. Has no one noticed this range before? http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-kd65zd9
Old 11-26-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R View Post
I see that the top range Sony ZD9 models also have 3D. Has no one noticed this range before? http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-kd65zd9
Hi Douglas,

And even though you posted a United kingdom link, it's also being sold in North America so now we have two reintroducing 3D to their lineup.

Fancy that!
Thanks given by:
Douglas R (11-26-2017), FingolfinFinwe (12-04-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 02:50 AM   #10
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Zd9 is basically a carryover for sony of some of its 2016 models. Bigger problem is this, which is found on many websites talking about the zd9 3d:

"my new Sony 65-zd9 has shows very bad 3D performance.
A lot of Crosstalk, blurred picture and massive flickering only on top of the picture.
I have tested both 3D classes and tried to correct this in the menu. No way."

Its being active spells more problems as well. There is still one available on Amazon though if you're feeling lucky.

My argument still stands that we have been abandoned and Sony is no exception.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Hello All.

Unfortunately in a way this again confirms the death of the 3d market. This tv comes from a manufacturer who really does no business in the US,it is active,not passive, which is basically an inferior design now with 4k being used in the passive lg tvs,and it does not use OLED technology.
Thatís a biased comment, show me proof that passive is better than active and vice versa on 4K screens. It ultimately comes down to CHOICE. And if you say that all Sony z9d models are doomed because their are active instead of passive, there is a thread about that particular model and people who actually owns it talk a lot a good things about this tv.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

I have both passive and active sets and much prefer the passive ones if for no other reason, the glasses are lighter (and cheaper).

Secondly though, despite what some may say, I do see flicker when viewing active sets. It's not totally disruptive, but it is there in my peripheral vision.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:55 PM   #13
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
India/Bollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
Thatís a biased comment, show me proof that passive is better than active and vice versa on 4K screens. It ultimately comes down to CHOICE. And if you say that all Sony z9d models are doomed because their are active instead of passive, there is a thread about that particular model and people who actually owns it talk a lot a good things about this tv.
It's really not a biased comment. I have both(Mitsubishi and 3 lg oleds) and I literally cannot sit through a whole movie using active glasses(and I have had similar problems at friends houses with active 3d, who state the same problem, and cannot believe the oleds when they see the 3d picture the oleds produce).

With passive I have gone through 3 movies one after the other with no problem on many occasions. No crosstalk, etc. Face it; its over. Passive won. It's truly a hollow victory anyway as you can hardly find anymore passive oled's anyway. But I suspect if you have seen passive 3d on a g6p oled display we would not be having this discussion. Am I right?

ps I did not make up the z9d 3d problems. It is all over the internet the problems Sony had with their last set of ACTIVE 3d screens. Some threads go on for pages and pages.

Please just go and find a lg oled while you can and buy the sucker. You won't regret it.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:40 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
It's really not a biased comment. I have both(Mitsubishi and 3 lg oleds) and I literally cannot sit through a whole movie using active glasses(and I have had similar problems at friends houses with active 3d, who state the same problem, and cannot believe the oleds when they see the 3d picture the oleds produce).

With passive I have gone through 3 movies one after the other with no problem on many occasions. No crosstalk, etc. Face it; its over. Passive won. It's truly a hollow victory anyway as you can hardly find anymore passive oled's anyway. But I suspect if you have seen passive 3d on a g6p oled display we would not be having this discussion. Am I right?

ps I did not make up the z9d 3d problems. It is all over the internet the problems Sony had with their last set of ACTIVE 3d screens. Some threads go on for pages and pages.

Please just go and find a lg oled while you can and buy the sucker. You won't regret it.
I saw a passive LG OLED side by side with a Sony Z9D and I preferred the Sony. Price wise Sonyís 75 inch model is half of LGs 77 price, I would never pay more than 7-8 Grand on a TV and thatís already pushing it. I have 2 DLPs active sets and never seen any ghosting or crosstalk or any other issue 3D might have in any os those sets and I have quite a few 3D movies to try on back to back to back. Like I said it ultimately comes down to choice and preference.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:53 AM   #15
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
I saw a passive LG OLED side by side with a Sony Z9D and I preferred the Sony. Price wise Sonyís 75 inch model is half of LGs 77 price, I would never pay more than 7-8 Grand on a TV and thatís already pushing it. I have 2 DLPs active sets and never seen any ghosting or crosstalk or any other issue 3D might have in any os those sets and I have quite a few 3D movies to try on back to back to back. Like I said it ultimately comes down to choice and preference.
Are your dlp pictures as good as the oled and z9d pictures were? And would you rather have the dlps or the oled and z9d if you could trade them even steven, or would you keep the dlps?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #16

Jul 2015

Quote:
Quote:
Are your dlp pictures as good as the oled and z9d pictures were? And would you rather have the dlps or the oled and z9d if you could trade them even steven, or would you keep the dlps?
I agree with BLMN about it coming down to choice and preference. I'd put the 3D on my DLP as among the best. I'd love to see it side-by-side with the Oled and z9d to compare but thats not likely to happen. But I've never had a 3D issue on my DLP either.
Thanks given by:
BLMN (11-30-2017), rech750452 (12-19-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
I will Not compare a tv that was released almost 10 years ago, itís another technology. DLP held very well throughout those years. I will eventually move on to 4K with 3D by next year.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #18

Nov 2017

I'm a big fan of the 3D format, especially for the chance to see some of the classic '50s 3D films as intended. Find it odd that companies that have ceased making 3D TVs are still making 3D players? Hope that these glimmers of hope from Panasonic and Sony are a sign that it's not all over yet.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Hi all,

For those who have had the chance to compare active versus passive, is there any consideration as to the overall quality or "guts" of the sets itself? An overall great set with passive 3D would most likely produce a better 3D picture than an active set with a less steller reputation and vice versa.

Also, what is the noticable difference in not having full 1080p? Know there has to be something just like with the active sets having a slightly darker picture.

As an owner of an active set, can understand some being turned off by the cost plus inconvenience of either recharging or replacing batteries regarding the glasses. Once in a while there is that flicker but it's so quick and rare as not to be anything to think about, at least for my own self

Personally, from what I read there is not a bottom line major difference but I cannot attest to that. I am very happy with the depth, sharpness, attention to detail, color saturation, etc that I have. But I have read about crosstalk with active that is not a problem with passive. I do not notice any on most titles with my Sony 850B, however, last night watching Valerian there were certain scenes when I noticed a very slight outline on one side of the main characters. Most of the time it wasn't there but it did pop up on occasion.

Decreasing the depth almost eliminated it but also at a cost of the "wow" factor.

Was this in the disc? Otherwise, it was the first problem of crosstalk experienced on a recently released title in a long time. I do notice ocassional and at times more noticable crosstalk on some much older discs, like Avitar. But no time is it critical to impairing the viewing pleasure.

Any feedback?

Last edited by Joe D.; 12-14-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #20

Jan 2017
New England USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi all,

For those who have had the chance to compare active versus passive, is there any consideration as to the overall quality or "guts" of the sets itself? An overall great set with passive 3D would most likely produce a better 3D picture than an active set with a less steller reputation and vice versa.

Also, what is the noticable difference in not having full 1080p? Know there has to be something just like with the active sets having a slightly darker picture.

As an owner of an active set, can understand some being turned off by the cost plus inconvenience of either recharging or replacing batteries regarding the glasses. Once in a while there is that flicker but it's so quick and rare as not to be anything to think about, at least for my own self

Personally, from what I read there is not a bottom line major difference but I cannot attest to that. I am very happy with the depth, sharpness, attention to detail, color saturation, etc that I have. But I have read about crosstalk with active that is not a problem with passive. I do not notice any on most titles with my Sony 850B, however, last night watching Valerian there were certain scenes when I noticed a very slight outline on one side of the main characters. Most of the time it wasn't there but it did pop up on occasion.

Decreasing the depth almost eliminated it but also at a cost of the "wow" factor.

Was this in the disc? Otherwise, it was the first problem of crosstalk experienced on a recently released title in a long time. I do notice ocassional and at times more noticable crosstalk on some much older discs, like Avitar. But no time is it critical to impairing the viewing pleasure.

Any feedback?
Sorry but I am not smart when it comes to the technical aspects of which you speak, however we do have both an active set (Panny plasma ST60) and passive (LG C6P) so I can pass along my impressions..

Personally I have no problem with the active glasses, in fact I prefer them. They fit me much better, the cheap passive glasses fall off my face. The only plus with the passive ones is the price: I dont freak out if the nephews put their fingers on them. Recharging the glasses has never been a bother and whenever they went on sale I picked up extras. We have 10 pair! It was because we never planned on buying the LG. When it was announced 3D was being discontinued hubby and I decided to buy it. We then moved the plasma to the bedroom.

Picture wise the LG does have a beautiful, slightly clearer picture with "deeper" colors. We have noticed this re-watching titles that we previously viewed on the plasma. Even the blacks are a bit "blacker".

3D looks the same to me except for one thing I experienced recently:
My brother and his family were over for 3D movie night, it was crowded so I sat down on the floor. Well "Dr Strange" starts (a great movie btw) and all I am seeing is a terrible double image.
I thought "Hey something is either wrong with the disc or the tv" but no, everyone else could see the 3D picture. As soon as I stood up there it was in 3D. I only mention this because with the plasma I would often sit on the floor and I could see the picture in 3D with absolutely no issues. This OLED is on the exact same built-shelf as the plasma thus they are at the same height.

The only crosstalk I noticed with the active glasses was an IMAX doc called "Under The Sea". It was so bad I sold it on ebay.

Last edited by 2112rushfan; 12-14-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors