Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.13

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.81
19 hrs ago
Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50

Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.47

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 12-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112rushfan View Post
Sorry but I am not smart when it comes to the technical aspects of which you speak, however we do have both an active set (Panny plasma ST60) and passive (LG C6P) so I can pass along my impressions..

Personally I have no problem with the active glasses, in fact I prefer them. They fit me much better, the cheap passive glasses fall off my face. The only plus with the passive ones is the price: I dont freak out if the nephews put their fingers on them. Recharging the glasses has never been a bother and whenever they went on sale I picked up extras. We have 10 pair! It was because we never planned on buying the LG. When it was announced 3D was being discontinued hubby and I decided to buy it. We then moved the plasma to the bedroom.

Picture wise the LG does have a beautiful, slightly clearer picture with "deeper" colors. We have noticed this re-watching titles that we previously viewed on the plasma. Even the blacks are a bit "blacker".

3D looks the same to me except for one thing I experienced recently:
My brother and his family were over for 3D movie night, it was crowded so I sat down on the floor. Well "Dr Strange" starts (a great movie btw) and all I am seeing is a terrible double image.
I thought "Hey something is either wrong with the disc or the tv" but no, everyone else could see the 3D picture. As soon as I stood up there it was in 3D. I only mention this because with the plasma I would often sit on the floor and I could see the picture in 3D with absolutely no issues. This OLED is on the exact same built-shelf as the plasma thus they are at the same height.

The only crosstalk I noticed with the active glasses was an IMAX doc called "Under The Sea". It was so bad I sold it on ebay.
Hi 2112

Thanks so much. Glad to know no problem with crosstalk on the active set.

Plasma has the advantage of no problem regarding viewing angles. That's why you experienced the lack of 3D from the floor position - it was out of range for OLED which is not a reflection of your set.

I have the Disney WOW, which is an easy to use calibration disc which can help you get the best settings which could enhance the picture quality of both your sets even more. It has separate set up for Plasma and LCD/OLED too!

Dr. Strange was a great film. We just got into the dispicable me series. Have all three plus minions!

Happy and healthy holiday to you, hubby and all your loved ones.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:38 AM   #22

Jan 2017
New England USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi 2112

Thanks so much. Glad to know no problem with crosstalk on the active set.

Plasma has the advantage of no problem regarding viewing angles. That's why you experienced the lack of 3D from the floor position - it was out of range for OLED which is not a reflection of your set.

I have the Disney WOW, which is an easy to use calibration disc which can help you get the best settings which could enhance the picture quality of both your sets even more. It has separate set up for Plasma and LCD/OLED too!

Dr. Strange was a great film. We just got into the dispicable me series. Have all three plus minions!

Happy and healthy holiday to you, hubby and all your loved ones.
I have seen the Disney WOW disc and will investigate it further.

We LOVE the Despicable Me movies and the Minions too. I particularly like the first and third. In fact I brought DM1 over to my folks this past weekend, they had never seen it. They thoroughly enjoyed it and they are in their 70's

Have you ever seen "Megamind"? I never tire of watching that one. Love the music

And a happy, healthy holiday season I wish for you as well Joe.

Last edited by 2112rushfan; 12-15-2017 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:59 AM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112rushfan View Post
I have seen the Disney WOW disc and will investigate it further.

We LOVE the Despicable Me movies and the Minions too. I particularly like the first and third. In fact I brought DM1 over to my folks this past weekend, they had never seen it. They thoroughly enjoyed it and they are in their 70's

Have you ever seen "Megamind"? I never tire of watching that one. Love the music

And a happy, healthy holiday season I wish for you as well Joe.
Megamind was a very clever and well produced animated flick. Enjoyed it fully.

Those minions are so adorably cute! My wife wants me to get her Kevin and the other two for her to cuddle with - after me, of course.

Am also getting into many of the Hong Kong films.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Hi all,

For those who have had the chance to compare active versus passive, is there any consideration as to the overall quality or "guts" of the sets itself? An overall great set with passive 3D would most likely produce a better 3D picture than an active set with a less steller reputation and vice versa.

There just different techs. Both can be amazing, both can be terrible. It isn't the case that one is simply better then the other in results. However passive can use cheap $1 glasses whereas with active the glasses are notably more expensive.

Also, what is the noticable difference in not having full 1080p? Know there has to be something just like with the active sets having a slightly darker picture.

From what I understand, my vt60 doesn't do 3d in full 1080p (rather 1080i), the difference is you may see some occasional extra aliasing. In practice I haven't really noticed anything.

As an owner of an active set, can understand some being turned off by the cost plus inconvenience of either recharging or replacing batteries regarding the glasses. Once in a while there is that flicker but it's so quick and rare as not to be anything to think about, at least for my own self

Personally, from what I read there is not a bottom line major difference but I cannot attest to that. I am very happy with the depth, sharpness, attention to detail, color saturation, etc that I have. But I have read about crosstalk with active that is not a problem with passive. I do not notice any on most titles with my Sony 850B, however, last night watching Valerian there were certain scenes when I noticed a very slight outline on one side of the main characters. Most of the time it wasn't there but it did pop up on occasion.

Its really more down to the panel, and no doubt in active glasses case the software used for communicating between the tv and glasses. Crosstalk can be remove entirely from active with a dlp setup, but afaik there isn't a way to get passive with zero crosstalk. Though you can get it low enough I think it is a moot point.

Decreasing the depth almost eliminated it but also at a cost of the "wow" factor.

Was this in the disc? Otherwise, it was the first problem of crosstalk experienced on a recently released title in a long time. I do notice ocassional and at times more noticable crosstalk on some much older discs, like Avitar. But no time is it critical to impairing the viewing pleasure.

Crosstalk is always a display related issue and never in the source. There are perhaps some bad conversions with warping where the conversion wasn't finished that may look somewhat like crosstalk, but I only know of one example of this (The Huntsman).

Any feedback?
I've done my best to answer your questions in bold. Feel free to ask anything else, i'm no pro, just an avid fan.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
I've done my best to answer your questions in bold. Feel free to ask anything else, i'm no pro, just an avid fan.
Hi Suntory

Hey, thanks for answering my questions. Feel a lot better. Many of the websites I read gave the pros and cons for both but noted it came down to personal preferences. From what I can tell:

Active is a bit dimmer but not so on LEDs and give full resolution but can have issues with minor crosstalk depending on quality of set. Has a wide viewing angle.

Passive gives a bit more pop out, be easier on the eyes but also can be ragged on the edges if sitting too close. Glasses are cheap.

These are minor issues in my opinion compared to the overall quality, however, there has been in the past a friendly little war going on with some claiming passive was far superior. Thus my "insecurity".

Thanx again
Old 12-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Hi Suntory

Hey, thanks for answering my questions. Feel a lot better. Many of the websites I read gave the pros and cons for both but noted it came down to personal preferences. From what I can tell:

Active is a bit dimmer but not so on LEDs and give full resolution but can have issues with minor crosstalk depending on quality of set. Has a wide viewing angle.

Passive gives a bit more pop out, be easier on the eyes but also can be ragged on the edges if sitting too close. Glasses are cheap.

These are minor issues in my opinion compared to the overall quality, however, there has been in the past a friendly little war going on with some claiming passive was far superior. Thus my "insecurity".

Thanx again
Passive would be my general recommendation as well if one is buying a 4k sets I have seen. The issue with passive is you are somewhat playing the lottery with how well/accurately the filter has been placed on the tv.

For the most comfortable, smoothest, crosstalk free 3d, the best I have seen is numerous dlp projectors with dlp link as the tech as apposed to passive or active. I'm really hoping we get 2160p dlp projectors for home in the future with there biggest weakness (there black levels and contrast) corrected.

Once you see 3d on a home dlp setup, it's hard to say anything else compares (though yes the oleds are generally more impressive for there screen size). Tut the quality of the motion dlp manages and absolute zero crosstalk is really amazing, all off course done rather brightly at 110" or so.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:49 AM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
Passive would be my general recommendation as well if one is buying a 4k sets I have seen. The issue with passive is you are somewhat playing the lottery with how well/accurately the filter has been placed on the tv.

For the most comfortable, smoothest, crosstalk free 3d, the best I have seen is numerous dlp projectors with dlp link as the tech as apposed to passive or active. I'm really hoping we get 2160p dlp projectors for home in the future with there biggest weakness (there black levels and contrast) corrected.

Once you see 3d on a home dlp setup, it's hard to say anything else compares (though yes the oleds are generally more impressive for there screen size). Tut the quality of the motion dlp manages and absolute zero crosstalk is really amazing, all off course done rather brightly at 110" or so.
Hi Suntory,

Projector out of the question for us in an apartment but would love to see one, based on the rave reviews and devotion of its owners.

I think I was lucky with the Sony set I got. The 850b is a 2014 model and from what I read the 2015 line came with many problems not found the previous year. Guess they cut back with quality inside.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #28

Mar 2017

I'm in an apartment and I run a 120 in. fixed screen with a benq 3050 from 10 ft 4 in throw distance and the 3d is unbelievable. I would never watch 3d on a tv again and I've had a lot of 3d tv's. my viewing distance is about 8 ft. the room is 11 ft 3 in deep.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battail View Post
I'm in an apartment and I run a 120 in. fixed screen with a benq 3050 from 10 ft 4 in throw distance and the 3d is unbelievable. I would never watch 3d on a tv again and I've had a lot of 3d tv's. my viewing distance is about 8 ft. the room is 11 ft 3 in deep.
Yeah it is doable in some apartments, but isn't in others. Or it isn't in a way that the person likes. I can only really use my dlp in temp setups currently.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #30

Dec 2012

Well this thread has gone off the rails lol.

Back on topic - I think it's FANTASTIC that there is a NEW 3D TV option for people right now. Even if this model runs for 1-2 years, they should remain on the market for a good few years afterward. Deadline Extended!
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (12-21-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 10:38 PM   #31

Mar 2012

Quote:

Extreme lurker here but just wanted to chime in here as I had an experience recently. We have the Panny ST60 plasma and Iím a massive 3d fan (see my ratio of 3d to non in my collection!). I recently tried watching Pacific Rim from a floor position and the 3d wouldnít stay on the glasses. I had to sit bolt upright, bordering on standing to get it to work. Yet I tried Suicide Squad on the weekend and it was fine from the floor. I am wondering if it could be disc specific?

Klattsy.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:29 AM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klattsy View Post
Extreme lurker here but just wanted to chime in here as I had an experience recently. We have the Panny ST60 plasma and I’m a massive 3d fan (see my ratio of 3d to non in my collection!). I recently tried watching Pacific Rim from a floor position and the 3d wouldn’t stay on the glasses. I had to sit bolt upright, bordering on standing to get it to work. Yet I tried Suicide Squad on the weekend and it was fine from the floor. I am wondering if it could be disc specific?

Klattsy.
Happy new year Klattsy,

Never thought could be disc specific. Pacific Rim is near reference quality. Could it be that the better the 3D quality, the more information one could lose, when off position?
Old 01-10-2018, 03:24 AM   #33

Sep 2008

Is this not the right tv? It says no 3D support on bestbuy

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-10-2018, 03:35 AM   #34

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1 View Post
Is this not the right tv? It says no 3D support on bestbuy

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Ok I think I see that itís only available in the UK. Does anyone know any way to ship this thing to Canada?
Old 02-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #35
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default The last coffin nail for 3d tvs

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=302817

The beacon of hope just got dimmer.

Aren't you glad you already have a 3d tv?

If you don't I implore you to get one SOON!
Old 06-03-2018, 12:40 AM   #36

Oct 2014

So it looks like this is also the last ever (decent) 3D series in New Zealand too.

My question is: How does this rate as a worthwhile purchase?

From what I’ve read, as a 4K HDR display it is (understandably) not as good as similar priced OLED, and as a 3D display, older models are better.

This means if you’re like me and already have an OK-ish 3D option (the kids TV is a heavily used 50” VT plasma) or have a more than capable non-3D (our main 55” plasma) this seems like a lot of money to spend on a less than optimal upgrade just because it’s “the last 3D TV”

Seems to sit in no mans land regardless of whether or not you already have 3D. Anyone had some good real world experience with this series?
Old 06-03-2018, 10:49 AM   #37
Banned

Mar 2011
Alaska

My favorite 3D tv was a Panasonic. I may have to look at switching...
Old 06-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #38

Oct 2014

Well I've just put a deposit down on the 65" model to reserve the stock.

I now have until the end of the month to convince my wife why we need this with two perfectly good plasmas in the house.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:34 AM   #39

Oct 2014

So I bought it - quite happy with the 4K and HDR features considering the price (about 1600 USD which is pretty good in NZ)

I don't have any comment on 3D yet, as the glasses are extra. However I learned the hard way that only 2 of the 4 inputs support HDR! I didn't even know that was a thing!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #40
Expert Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
So I bought it - quite happy with the 4K and HDR features considering the price (about 1600 USD which is pretty good in NZ)

I don't have any comment on 3D yet, as the glasses are extra. However I learned the hard way that only 2 of the 4 inputs support HDR! I didn't even know that was a thing!
where did you purchase it from?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors