Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Monster Hunt (Blu-ray)
$15.49

Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.21
1 day ago
Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 06-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States
Question Just what ARE we supposed to do with our 3D discs if future TVs won't display them?

If all the TV manufacturers someday stop making 3D TVs, how will we watch our 3D Blu-ray collection? Vizio already stopped making 3D TVs. I hope 3D becomes more popular, but UHD seems to be all the rage in the TV world, not so much 3D. Do we think TVs will at least have something in them to allow 3D Blu-rays to be viewed on 2D TVs in 2D? I ponder this sometimes. How do we comfort ourselves about this possibility?
Old 06-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012
England
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
If all the TV manufacturers someday stop making 3D TVs, how will we watch our 3D Blu-ray collection? Vizio already stopped making 3D TVs. I hope 3D becomes more popular, but UHD seems to be all the rage in the TV world, not so much 3D. Do we think TVs will at least have something in them to allow 3D Blu-rays to be viewed on 2D TVs in 2D? I ponder this sometimes. How do we comfort ourselves about this possibility?

I hope that day never comes.
Thanks given by:
malcolmar (03-26-2019), master gandhi (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #3

Feb 2015
London, England

I bought my Panasonic plasma TV just before the first 3D TVs came out, so I figured I'd upgrade at some point, but never did. A couple of years later my brother bought a Panasonic plasma 3D TV and for a year or two, I was enjoying watching 3D movies on that. Then he had a friend stay and I couldn't go round any more so I figured it was time to upgrade. I wanted a Panasonic plasma 3D TV of my own but found out that they had already stopped making them, there were none left in the country that I could get hold of.

So I went on the Internet, found the highest-end European one I could find - a beautiful 60" Panasonic plasma 3D TV - and imported it, at high cost to me. Well worth every penny.

Now I am paying attention to what TVs are being released. Some of the higher-end OLED ones sound amazing, they may even get better over the next few years. Let's hope it never comes down to it but if manufacturers stop making 3D TVs they will announce it, there will still be plenty out there, just buy one or two of the best existing ones on the market.

The lesson is simply not to leave it too late.
Thanks given by:
Old 06-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada

Higher-end sets will continue to include the feature for some time, I'm guessing. The cost to include it, especially passive, is negligible, and there's still the fact that the industry has sold lots of 3-D Blu-Rays, and the consumers wouldn't be that happy if the hardware suddenly stopped supporting their discs overnight.

Who knows, maybe at some point in the future 3-D will get another revival, when glasses-free technology is perfected. Wearing the glasses seems like a big deal for some people, and was enough to turn them off (never really understood it, myself, but you read the complaints often enough).

Also, we're entering the era of VR headsets, and all of these should theoretically be compatible with 3-D playback. It wouldn't surprise me if the Playstation VR had the feature added at some point after it comes out.
Thanks given by:
Old 06-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Good points, all. Hoping for glasses-free/VR compatibility for sure. I agree, there should be some 3D TVs getting made for a very long time, considering 3D Blu-rays are still getting made.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
Good points, all. Hoping for glasses-free/VR compatibility for sure. I agree, there should be some 3D TVs getting made for a very long time, considering 3D Blu-rays are still getting made.
I want to see how you gonna be able to see pop out stuff on a glasses free 3dtv. I am keeping one of my 3dtvs until there is no way to service it anymore. also buying a 4k with 3d support.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012

I'm paying more attention to the projectors than the tvs where 3D is concerned. I have thought about upgrading my Sony but I just cant get myself to do it. Still works great...but I would like to see what a 4K 3d passive set would look like, 3D wise
Old 06-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

Taygan, 3D on a passive LG OLED (2016 E6) is the best ever. I can't say enough about it. I'd never go back to active. I get no ghosting now. I also have a JS9500 and comparing the two reveals a big difference. Absolutely no bad viewing angles, more colorful, brighter, no batteries to keep track of and I have a bunch of glasses that I took home from theaters that work on the OLED plus no blooming and the best level of black available.
Thanks given by:
gamermwm (06-23-2016), ilovenola2 (06-21-2016), mar3o (06-21-2016), Plissken Fan (06-21-2016), Taygan315 (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 01:05 AM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
I want to see how you gonna be able to see pop out stuff on a glasses free 3dtv. I am keeping one of my 3dtvs until there is no way to service it anymore. also buying a 4k with 3d support.
If they can increase the scale of the Nintendo 3DS glasses free 3D mini screen to 100" screen size (diagonal measurement) then I'll be impressed. The 3DS looks great for glasses free 3D from what I saw it in the store.

If there was one game system I should own, it would be the 3DS but the games are mostly for the younger generations.

---------------
Here are threads with a similar topic:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=277233
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276495
Thanks given by:
gamermwm (06-23-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 01:33 AM   #10
Special Member

Feb 2010

Most of the new 2016 Panasonic Tvs come with active 3D
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 02:26 AM   #11
Power Member

Jun 2011
Orlando, Fl

I have only recently moved on from a plasma 3D tv to a 3D projector and may give it some more thought in a couple of years, I feel the hardware will be around for some years to come, as long as movies are still being made for the big screen.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:58 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

What happens when 3D TVs are no more?
IMO, then theatrical 3D movies will be no more.

Passive polarized glasses seem to be universally accepted for the majority of theatrical 3D engagements and I believe they will soon be the-accessory-of-choice for home consumers.

Reasons:
Active Glasses require compatible replacements for extending the 3D display model's use.
Technology is complex and an added expense.
Batteries and recharging accessories add to the cost.
Requiring maintenance-chores (time) for optimum performance.
Signal loss is a possibility.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (06-21-2016), Taygan315 (06-20-2016), Zivouhr (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 03:08 AM   #13
Special Member

Oct 2006

Most of the 3d blu-ray disc I own also have the 2d blu-ray. So I have this to fall back on if 3d for home dies.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:22 AM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Passive polarized glasses seem to be universally accepted for the majority of theatrical 3D engagements and I believe they will soon be the-accessory-of-choice for home consumers.

Reasons:
Active Glasses require compatible replacements for extending the 3D display model's use.
Technology is complex and an added expense.
Batteries and recharging accessories add to the cost.
Requiring maintenance-chores (time) for optimum performance.
Signal loss is a possibility.
Of my passive and active sets, I find the ease of the passive set a lot faster and easier to deal with, mostly because I don't have to worry about batteries. My older styled 3D active glasses are heavier too and leave a big mark on the nose bridge too, plus they're tighter around the ears. So comfort is another factor in my case, though I hear others have more comfortable active glasses.

I still believe Sony's statement that they're focusing on R&D for glasses free 3DTV, has credibility for the future of 3D entertainment. They'll hopefully have something convincing within the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post
Most of the 3d blu-ray disc I own also have the 2d blu-ray. So I have this to fall back on if 3d for home dies.
Good point. And some 3D discs (Sony) are compatible with 2D or 3D players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
When 3D TVs are no more, then society will plunge into chaos and despair. There will be mass rioting. Governments will collapse. The ground will open up and a race of molemen will conquer all the lands, making all of us slaves.

...although, there's a greater chance everything will be fine, but 3D TVs, players, glasses, and discs will be discontinued and we'll just have to live with whatever we have. Just like with LDs and VHSes.
Likely not the end of the world, or as mentioned earlier, glasses free 3D TVs will appear. If they're taking their time to perfect it, that could make the difference, though it could potentially hurt 3D tickets if the 3D at home can be viewed without glasses. I have no problem wearing the glasses (though I prefer passive), but the mainstream sees the glasses as a burden that gets in the way of doing other things instead of watching the movie they sat down to watch of all things.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

I don't know one person who complains about wearing the glasses. In movie theaters everyone who goes to see a 3D movie wears them. Not one person who's come over my house has mentioned anything about not liking to wear glasses. I think that theory doesn't hold up under scrutiny.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (06-21-2016), mar3o (06-21-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 03:48 PM   #16
Power Member

Dec 2011
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
I still believe Sony's statement that they're focusing on R&D for glasses free 3DTV, has credibility for the future of 3D entertainment. They'll hopefully have something convincing within the next few years.
Glasses free 3DTV is a waste of time. They have been working on it for many years. All the demos I have seen have no pop-out and you have to sit in a sweet spot for it to work. The percentage of the population that will only watch 3D if you don't need glasses is very small. The manufacturers would never make a profit.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
T.A.R.D.I.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
I don't know one person who complains about wearing the glasses. In movie theaters everyone who goes to see a 3D movie wears them. Not one person who's come over my house has mentioned anything about not liking to wear glasses. I think that theory doesn't hold up under scrutiny.

You are straight up delusional. If people didn't mind wearing glasses at home, 3D would still be on every new tv.
Thanks given by:
Plissken Fan (06-21-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #18
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
When 3D TVs are no more, then society will plunge into chaos and despair. There will be mass rioting. Governments will collapse. The ground will open up and a race of molemen will conquer all the lands, making all of us slaves.

...although, there's a greater chance everything will be fine, but 3D TVs, players, glasses, and discs will be discontinued and we'll just have to live with whatever we have. Just like with LDs and VHSes.
A lot of people are very passionate about 3D, we don't need (IMO) smart Alecs patronising everyone who happens to care about the tech.
Thanks given by:
tob (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_who View Post
You are straight up delusional. If people didn't mind wearing glasses at home, 3D would still be on every new tv.
My experiences have been similar to Jbug's regarding passive glasses.
Cheaper First-generation 3D displays were grossly inefficient, inadequatly resolving 3D and giving it the bad reputation it never deserved.
Darker image environments breeding unacceptable ghosting artifacts.

There are no such issues with UHD passive OLED 3D displays today.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:07 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_who View Post
I could say the same thing about you but I don't know you. I posted what I see and hear and if you don't agree that is fine too but keep descriptions of me out of it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors