Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.81
18 hrs ago
Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
1 hr ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 01-16-2018, 02:56 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
Question Do you use smooth motion / interpolation / the Soap Opera Effect for 3D content?

Know it's strictly preferential but how many enjoy using motion interloption for their 3D viewing?

I myself like it. For filmed documentaries like IMAX, when combined with 3D it's breathtaking, recreating an absolutely stunning lifelike experience that never could be felt with celluloid. Might not be important watching flat but for the 3D afficiando it's truly like being in the landscape, up in the air or headed towards the ocean floor.

Know for movies this can start arguments with purists and for valid reasons. Yet even though it can eliminate the intended film effect of the producers, I find the trade off desirable due to the extra depth and clarity it adds along with making it feel more "lifelike". Even animation is more enhanced.

Found the attached which really doesn't take sides but explains the pros and cons.

So who's on board with me or want me to walk the plank metaphorically?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/moti...p-opera-effect
Old 01-16-2018, 04:24 AM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2011

I hate the effect on 2D films, but a mild touch of it for some films works for 3D for some reason. But I mean a touch. I don't like it if it is aggressive, and I can't really use it on my LG because it tends to cause artifacts during fast action scenes, especially horizontal motion.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Power Member

Nov 2014

It doesn't give extra depth, it doesn't give extra clarity, but if you want to try it on a few things, why not.

Where I found it interesting was when viewing stop-motion animation, which can be a bit jittery. That's something that can benefit somewhat from the extra fluidity. I don't feel it has the same benefit for handdrawn animation though. It is creating extra inbetweens, but it is doing it robotically which messes with the timing and the drawings.

For live action, I find it swimmy and mushy looking. At certain degrees of smoothness, it is speeding things up, and the audio can be affected.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #4

Sep 2013

Love the high frame rate and motion interpolation stuff. Really do not like watching 24p stutter when the camera pans. After all human vision is smooth and 24p in almost a Century old and we would not be having this conversation if they had the mechanical Tech back then go do higher frame rates. It was the best they could do. Same goes for film reel size. higher rates would have required much larger reels.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIROK View Post
Love the high frame rate and motion interpolation stuff. Really do not like watching 24p stutter when the camera pans. After all human vision is smooth and 24p in almost a Century old and we would not be having this conversation if they had the mechanical Tech back then go do higher frame rates. It was the best they could do. Same goes for film reel size. higher rates would have required much larger reels.
Hi Zirok,

Glad to know I'm not alone. .

I really do enjoy the more life like effect, especially when seeing films from when I was a child for it brings back memories of how things used to look like in real life.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

That's a big no for me, absolutely no motion interpolation in this house!

IMO 24p is the only way to watch motion pictures.

Also I sincerely hope HFR does not take off and will fade away in obscurity. I watched The Hobbit 3D HFR in theaters and it was the worst movie going experience I have ever had. 24p should remain the standard framerate for movies till the end of time as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Special Member

Sep 2012

Some films benefit a lot from it and some become unwatchable. At least on my tv, a Panasonic plasma. The opening scene in The Dark Knight, when the camera is zooming to the window that explodes, the other buildings have a visual glitch that made me think my tv was dying. I was a bit anxious until I figured out it was from Motion Smoother.phew...
Old 01-23-2018, 07:23 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaugone View Post
Some films benefit a lot from it and some become unwatchable. At least on my tv, a Panasonic plasma. The opening scene in The Dark Knight, when the camera is zooming to the window that explodes, the other buildings have a visual glitch that made me think my tv was dying. I was a bit anxious until I figured out it was from Motion Smoother.phew...
Hi Smaugone,

Yes, I come across an occasional video glitch which could be attributed to the motion setting. But it's minor and to me worth the trade off.

It all comes down to taste so with this there's no right or wrong answer. Only ones pleasure.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:32 AM   #9
Power Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

Generally, I don't like it.

But I think it can make the film look better if the scene is fast-action, fast-panning, fast editing, and shaky cam. Which a lot of filmmakers like to do these days. Thankfully, films like Blade Runner 2049 are going against this trend.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:24 AM   #10

Oct 2011
da hills of gawga

I hunted and bought my second HD tv just for the effect! lol, im starting to think i cant even tell the difference anymore?
Old 01-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
Power Member

May 2011
Belgium

Frame interpolation gives me a headache.
Also, I think everything looks artificial and mis-timed.

I will say that I wish it was ONLY used during fast pans, or when something was moving somewhat quickly across the screen.
Other than that... Nope.
I watched Iron Man at my dad's house and he couldn't even tell he had Smooth Motion (whatever his TV called it) on, and 45 minutes in I HAD to ask to have it turned off. A small migraine was building just above my eyes.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (01-25-2018), Ray O. Blu (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #12

Aug 2017

I think it can be a very useful technology for things like sports that where designed to be viewed at 50 / 60 fps in the first place.

But when applied to a film that was designed to be viewed at 24 fps it ruins the cinematography and the intent of the film makers.

If film makers like Michael Mann, Ang Lee and Peter Jackson want to use a higher frame rate then I'm all up for viewing as intending - but not altering the film as intended - too us long enough to get films in 24p for home viewing.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:01 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by vila2k View Post
I think it can be a very useful technology for things like sports that where designed to be viewed at 50 / 60 fps in the first place.

But when applied to a film that was designed to be viewed at 24 fps it ruins the cinematography and the intent of the film makers.

If film makers like Michael Mann, Ang Lee and Peter Jackson want to use a higher frame rate then I'm all up for viewing as intending - but not altering the film as intended - too us long enough to get films in 24p for home viewing.
Hi guys,

Guess I just like the way it looks in general. You know me, Wild Bill's ambassador.

But try it out on filmed nature documentaries rather than movies. The effect truly makes everything appear life-like, which film cannot do. Underwater, landscapes, animal life -- along with 3D, the only thing missing is feeling the natural environment.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

I tend to watch most TV shows with motion smoothing turned on. Films, never, with the only exceptions I can recall making being for "found footage" stuff.

I actually find it particularly unsuitable for 3D because of the image artifacts that can be created by the frame interpolation. They stand out more in 3D and can cause depth errors.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:50 AM   #15
Power Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
That's a big no for me, absolutely no motion interpolation in this house!

IMO 24p is the only way to watch motion pictures.

Also I sincerely hope HFR does not take off and will fade away in obscurity. I watched The Hobbit 3D HFR in theaters and it was the worst movie going experience I have ever had. 24p should remain the standard framerate for movies till the end of time as far as I'm concerned.
I don't have any issue with high framerate, just motion interpolation.

Movement has its own textures and rhythms, interpolation erases that with an artificial smoothness.

High framerate has barely been explored in cinematic terms. I have never had any problem with how 24 fps looks, I've always felt it looked more theatrical and added a certain veneer and ambiance. I sometimes wonder if younger viewers and future generations will feel the same way when they have become accustomed to watching everything at 120 fps.

I'm as inclined towards purism and snobbery as any enthusiast, but lets face it, kids will be shooting 8k HFR footage on their smartphones before we know it.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (01-31-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #16
Power Member

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
He's just released a video with Tom Cruise saying the best way to watch the film at home is with motion smoothing turned off. It's all over Twitter.

But they are dead wrong. The best way to watch the film at home would be on 3D Blu-ray, with motion smoothing turned off.

Try telling them that though... I suspect McQuarrie has no love for 3D conversions and Cruise is just on the happy pills (or whatever Scientologists take instead of pills). I wish Scientologists really loved 3D, they for sure wouldn't let Paramount off the hook for the lame home release of this film...

No, the BEST way is with 3D with motion smoothing turned on MAXIMUM!

I don't usually care for the effect with 2D so much (too many blur points that create distortion), but it works fine on "low" with the Epson 3100 here (no artifacts and smoother than without for panning). But 3D is different for some reason. It looks like real life on high (save the occasional glitch). 3D without high frame rates is like having a GTO Judge and only going the speed limit. You're missing half the fun.
Thanks given by:
Variety Films 3D (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:33 AM   #17

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMagnum View Post
No, the BEST way is with 3D with motion smoothing turned on MAXIMUM!

I don't usually care for the effect with 2D so much (too many blur points that create distortion), but it works fine on "low" with the Epson 3100 here (no artifacts and smoother than without for panning). But 3D is different for some reason. It looks like real life on high (save the occasional glitch). 3D without high frame rates is like having a GTO Judge and only going the speed limit. You're missing half the fun.
I put on The Meg the other day and motion smoothing was on for some reason - it looked like absolute crap to me. I couldn't take even one minute before changing the settings.

You may like it and others may like it, but I hate it more than any other feature on my TVs. I don't want my movies looking like real life, I want them looking like movies.
Thanks given by:
GenPion (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 01:01 AM   #18

Aug 2012
In the woods!

Quote:
I put on The Meg the other day and motion smoothing was on for some reason - it looked like absolute crap to me. I couldn't take even one minute before changing the settings.

You may like it and others may like it, but I hate it more than any other feature on my TVs. I don't want my movies looking like real life, I want them looking like movies.
Watching a movie in 3d is giving you the immersive impression that you are part of the action! Why not make it more like real life my fellow 3d enthusiast?!?!
Thanks given by:
Old 12-06-2018, 02:45 AM   #19
Power Member

Nov 2017

Quote:

Sorry, but I thought the WHOLE REASON for 3D movies was to make them MORE REALISTIC like REAL LIFE. I honestly have no clue what you get out of 3D movies if you want them to be more like 24fps horribly choppy panning film. If I want that, I'll watch the 2D version....
Thanks given by:
Old 12-06-2018, 03:16 AM   #20
Blu-ray.com Reviewer

Feb 2009
Texas

Interpolation is the worst. Keep it OFF. Keep it 24fps.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (12-06-2018), Steedeel (12-06-2018), the13thman (12-06-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors