Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
4 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Monster Hunter (Blu-ray)
$19.96
3 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Show Boat (Blu-ray)
$17.99
2 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
1 day ago
Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
31 min ago
Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.46
18 hrs ago
Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio

Old 03-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
Power Member

May 2011
Belgium
Default Audeze Mobius: USB-C/Bluetooth headtracking surroundsound headphones

Audeze has officially announced the Audeze MOBIUS headphone. It is available at a pre-order/backing discount on indiegogo as of this posting.

You can click here for the Indiegogo link.

NOTE: Research and development for this product is complete. It is in production stage, and expected to ship between June/July.

There was an enthusiastic review by the guys at headfi released within the last couple hours (embargo has been lifted. More reviews are sure to come out soon):

WHAT IS THE MOBIUS, AND WHAT'S SO SPECIAL?

I will summarize. However, the Indiegogo page and the Headfi review are a great source for more info:

- Audeze planar magnetic headphones
- USB-C connection, as well as LDAC (24/96 audio) wireless Bluetooth (estimated 10 hour battery life)
- Detachable microphone (included)
- Audio simulation hardware is encased inside the headphones
- EQ is available through included software
- Head tracking helps to adjust the acoustics in real-time, at 1000 checks per second
- Sound volume control, and microphone volume control dials on the headphones
- Comes in blue, or copper, color scheme

SUPPOSED INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

- Sound signature seems to be like an LCD-X and LCD-2 hybrid, with a little bit different character in the low end
- Head tracking audio synchronization is eerily accurate and immersive
- It's awesome for gaming
- It's GREAT for music, in simple stereo mode

PRICE:

Suggested retail: $399
Indiegogo has about 100 donations/Perks left at $249.
Now, there are 150 chances at $259,
still has 200 offers at $269,
after that there are 3000 available at $299.
Then, 5000 offers at $329.

"Special Deluxe Freak" (my naming scheme) suggested retail: $799
This Perk includes additional software and tools that may be of interest to headfi/audio tweak freaks (don't look at me!).

- 3D audio plugins from Waves, including the B360 Ambisonics Encoder (worth $299) and the NX Virtual Mix Room (goes for $99).

The first 100 offers for this version is $499.
After those 100 offers are gone, you can still get 300 more chances with a 25% discount at $599.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 04-07-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Thanks given by:
Badas (03-15-2018), frogmeat69 (03-17-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for posting.
Thanks given by:
KcMsterpce (03-14-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

I second the thanks for posting. I've been looking for a HP that's specifically tailored for movies and even gaming, even though I don't game much. I'd get back into though if these really kill it the way it seems they will from what I read and what Jude had to say. Movies are my main objective though.
This is the reason I got into this hobby in the first place and believe my very first post on BR.com for headphones was finding something (Headphone, AMP/DAC) geared towards movies. $259 is a smoking deal if I act on this soon.
What's your guys take?

Last edited by koover; 03-16-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
Power Member

May 2011
Belgium

I also wonder how it will work with movies. This is a headphone aimed at gamers more than movie watchers.

On the Indiegogo link near the end, they answer that (for now) there is no direct support for DTS-HD, Atmos or other codecs due to cost. They hedged their bets with Ambisonics.
I think that if this does well, a "new and improved" version will come out in a couple/few years with more options and features.

This is not to say that it couldn't sound amazing watching movies... The software is intended to convert audio to binaural, so it essentially works for any audio.
There may also be a chance that some day, they will add other codecs to the headphones.

In the end... I think $250 for planar headphones - by Audeze - is a good reason to get them. The rest is probably just more goodness added onto the frosting.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 03-16-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Western New York, U.S.A.

What the heck, I bit, damn I'm weak, lol.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

I’d also like to but for my home theater, it won’t do 5.1 or 7.1 unless I have usb output on my AVR. I gotta check. If I do, I’m all over this and I’ll join your club. And you’re not weak. I’d call it smart at this price.
Thanks given by:
frogmeat69 (03-17-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 01:43 AM   #7
Power Member

May 2011
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by koover View Post
I’d also like to but for my home theater, it won’t do 5.1 or 7.1 unless I have usb output on my AVR.

I don't think so.
First, the binaural software/hardware is inside the headphones. Any input will/can be converted to surround sound, even through the (included) 3.5mm cable.

Here are cut and pastes from the Audeze promotion to try and clarify where my understanding comes from:

Quote:
While Mobius includes a wealth of ground-breaking features: it remains intuitively compatible with all of your favorite devices. Interface with your gaming rig or mobile device using USB, USB-C, or auxiliary connections.
Quote:
Do I need any special software for this to work?

No, this is not an encode/decode system. Mobius is designed specifically to provide you with the ease of a plug and play setup. There is a software application for Windows that can be used to customize the headphone audio for those that so choose. This will work without any need for external software. However, the special Mobius Creator edition will require the plugins for VR and AR content creation. These will work with Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and Android (with correct USB audio drivers in use).

We will release an application for Windows that will allow firmware updates, customization based on head geometry, and room size. App support for other platforms will depend on demand.
What I gather from this comment is that no matter what, you will get the "standard" option for hardware enabled surround.

To further clarify:
Quote:
Will Mobius work with my Xbox/Playstation/Switch?

Mobius will work with Xbox/PS4/Switch using only the analog cable (or Bluetooth if applicable). USB audio will not work with these devices. However, the headtracking, room emulation, and spatialization also work in analog and Bluetooth modes. So, even though you don't get USB audio, the analog connection with 3D audio is very compelling.

Can I turn off the 3D features?

Yes. The 3D features can be turned off if you choose and Mobius can be used as standard Audeze planar headphones.

Can I use Mobius for things other than gaming?

Absolutely. You can use Mobius for listening to music, watching movies in 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, mixing or mastering audio (especially multichannel audio), creating content for VR/AR applications, or to simply wear around your neck. In fact, they work great for teleconferencing (SKYPE, Discord, TeamSpeak calls!) and even FaceTime on iPhones. Mobius is tuned to have frequency response like our LCD series of professional headphones and is equally great if used beyond gaming.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmeat69 View Post
What the heck, I bit, damn I'm weak, lol.
You're not the only one... just backed it. For the pre-retail price it's an incredible bargain...still good but not as inticing @ full retail price it will be. Mainly want it for the head tracking and spacialization in gaming, which is the main drawback to gaming in headphones compared to a surround speaker setup.
Thanks given by:
frogmeat69 (03-19-2018), koover (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

I REALLY need some advice on these guys....PLEASE. I'll make up my own mind and decision, but not even being able to decode 5.1/7.1 through my system when using my HT, is it still worth it IYO? I still can get all the benefits with the head tracking ( I believe that's correct) but not able to decode the 5.1/7.1.
These still look like a really good bargain for just regular HP use, but I already have more then enough HP's.
Whatta you guys think for home theater with the limited capabilities at this point? I mean there could be some plug-ins down the road and to miss at this price point, it may be a mistake on my part to wait.
I'll wait with baited breath for your guys response.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Oops!
Old 03-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
I don't think so.
First, the binaural software/hardware is inside the headphones. Any input will/can be converted to surround sound, even through the (included) 3.5mm cable.

Here are cut and pastes from the Audeze promotion to try and clarify where my understanding comes from:

What I gather from this comment is that no matter what, you will get the "standard" option for hardware enabled surround.

To further clarify:
I really appreciate you taking the time to put some thought and time into responding back to me. This helps a lot but I'm still indecisive at this point. I don't want to miss this deal but I don't want or need "just" another headphone for music. I don't really game that much (well, not at all anymore) even though I did at one point. I LOVED PC gaming too and this might just take me over the edge to get back into the swing of things. Grrrr, just more stuff to keep me busy and continue to deal with my wife being pi$$ed off at me because of my hoarding with audio gear and all my Blurays. Now back to gaming?
By the way, thanks a lot (seriously) for the OP KC! Even though I subscribe to Head-fi and am on it all the time, I somehow missed these.

Last edited by koover; 03-18-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
Special Member

Feb 2011

Like they are saying in the Head-fi thread, for console gaming it's only stereo, but you could probably use a separate headphone surround DSP processor via optical out from Blu-ray player that could do headphone surround (like the Creative X7) and connect the Mobius to it and use the 3D DSP features on it to some effect. Don't forget the Mobius is a Bluetooth headphone...a PLANAR Bluetooth headphone that sounds like an LCD2/LCD-X - that alone is worthy of the purchase for the low price... there will also be software app to help tweak it and play around with EQ and configuring it for 3D audio performance.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:35 AM   #13
Power Member

May 2011
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Like they are saying in the Head-fi thread, for console gaming it's only stereo, but you could probably use a separate headphone surround DSP processor via optical out from Blu-ray player that could do headphone surround (like the Creative X7) and connect the Mobius to it and use the 3D DSP features on it to some effect.
Inside the headphones is the hardware that will do its OWN surround sound options, from what I understand.
You plug in a stereo source, and the Mobius will enable the spacial settings for binaural audio, without the need for USB connection.
The option can also be turned off, so the headphones can be used for stereo as well.

As for the EQ/software that you install through Windows... that, I believe, is for adjusting the tuning that Audeze provides out-of-the-box. So if you want to tailor the sound to your own specifications, then you will need the software.

For surround sound and motion tracking, you just need to turn on the headphones and play sound through it.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #14
Special Member

Feb 2011

5.1 or 7.1 surround is ONLY available through the USB connection of the Mobius, Bluetooth or Aux connection will only allow for a virtual stereo 'surround' mode which is not the same as true 5.1 or 7.1 surround.

Per Audeze response the software will allow for user to change head geometry parameters and room reflection modeling to help tune 3D sound field.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aude...#post-14107120
Thanks given by:
KcMsterpce (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 11:45 PM   #15
Power Member

May 2011
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post

That is a very helpful image!
I was going with info based on the cut & paste quotes in my older reply to Koover.
With that said, each option has "spacialization", meaning that there is still binaural processing taking place.

However, it's nice to get clarification that it is NOT the same as a specific, multi-channel option.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:14 AM   #16
Power Member

May 2011
Belgium

Six days left on this offer.
FYI, in case any of y'all were on the fence about purchasing.
Thanks given by:
frogmeat69 (04-07-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio