Best 3D Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
 
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.99
 
Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50
 
Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.97
 
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99
 
House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
 
Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-05-2018, 12:38 AM   #1
wildbill722 wildbill722 is offline
Expert Member
 
wildbill722's Avatar
 
Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Arrow Cream of the Crop 4k 3d passive TVs 2013-2016

65 and up 4k 3d Passive Televisions
APRIL 4, 2018

If you are using any of the below models please let us know so we can congratulate you!

2013
Toshiba l9300u series
Sony x900a series
Lg la9700 series
Lg la9600 series
2014
Lg ub9800 series includes 98, 84,79 and 65 inch models
Lg ub 9500 series
65ec9700 no significant sells merged into 2015 models
77ec9800 series oleds curved only-unknown if sold to consumers
Sony XBR-x850b series
2015
Lgs
ef 9500 and ef9800 oled flat *best of the best, both 65-first 3d 4k oleds sold in numbers to public
eg 9600(65) oled curved, review showed problems believed to be reviewer's inexperience with Oled 3d tvs
eg9700 (77) curved(considered to be a 2014 model) apparently very very limited sold, if any, no owner reviews
eg9900(bendable only 77-confirmation ever sold to consumers?)
uf9500 8500
Sony x900c
2016
Lgs only
uh8500(has 75 inch model)
uh9500(has 86 inch model)
6p series oleds(77g6p only 77 oled 3d 4k apparently ever sold to public) *best of the best

NOTES:
1. No company other than lg has produced a passive oled 65 or larger 4k 3d tv

2. Future quests for the best 3d passive 4k3d should start with
a. 2016 6p series
b. 2015 ef9500,ef9600 and ef9800

3. CURRENTLY NEW: ONE 77G6P AND ONE EG9700 AVAILABLE ON AMAZON EACH $27,000.00
EVERYTHING ELSE(WHICH IS ABOUT 5 UNITS) IS OPEN BOX OR USED PIGS IN A POKE

***update June 1, 2018***

no more 77g6p or 65g6p available anywhere
eg9700 still available $27,000.00
occasional open box of 65 c6p at $5,000.00 to $6,000.00
And that's it!

Last edited by wildbill722; 06-03-2018 at 04:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
Paul H Paul H is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
65 and up 4k 3d Passive Televisions
APRIL 4, 2018

2015
Lgs
eg 9600(65) curved, 3d had problems

2016
Lgs only
6p series oleds *best of the best
Thanks wildbill for the passive 3D "Cream of the Crop" production list.

I have an LG EG 65" 9600 OLED ('UB' version) and an LG 65" E6P OLED that both produce IMO, the best 3D images I have ever experienced.

I don't remember hearing about a 3D problem with the EG 9600 and if you have any details, I am very interested

I do know there were two versions of the EG 9600. The EG9600-UA and the EG9600-UB. The 'UB' version was the updated manufactured version that added HDR 10 HDMI support for UHD Blu-ray players.

EG9600-UB vs EG9600-UA
EG9600-UB Supports HDR10 in HDMI devices.jpg

Last edited by Paul H; 04-16-2018 at 04:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
wildbill722 wildbill722 is offline
Expert Member
 
wildbill722's Avatar
 
Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default

Hey Paul:
I indicated this "issue" for the eg9600 as CNET said:

Unfortunately 3D on the EG9600 is finicky: it's highly dependent on viewing distance and angle, and if you sit too close or view the screen from too high or too low then crosstalk--that ghostly double image that's the bugaboo of stereoscopic 3D--can be very obvious. I found it much easier to "see" such crosstalk on the EG9600 than on other TVs I've reviewed that use passive 3D, and in fact lack of crosstalk is one of the big advantages passive typically enjoys over active. Not so on the EG9600, at least from too close.

From my standard seating distance of about 8 feet I saw crosstalk in pretty much every scene from "Hugo," my standard 3D test disc. It was evident in the GK Films logo at the beginning, to the suit of Méliès, to the hand of Hugo as he reaches toward the toy mouse. My first thought was that perhaps reducing light output would do the trick, but it didn't.

Only when I moved back to around 10 feet did the crosstalk start to disappear, and then only in the middle of the screen; it was still evident along the edges (that's likely because the edges of the screen are more off-angle than the middle). At 12 feet or 13 feet it was gone completely, at least as long as I kept my eyes pretty much level with the middle of the screen. If I changed my vertical viewing angle much, to watch the screen from higher or lower, the crosstalk reappeared. I've seen these kinds of issues before on passive 3D TVs, but never as noticeable.

I'm guessing OLED's higher contrast makes crosstalk more visible, and perhaps it also has something to do with how the screen is structured compared to LCD. Of course, the larger screen of the 65-inch OLED creates more extreme angles than the smaller 55-inch set from the same distances, and indeed I had to sit a lot closer to that TV to see similar crosstalk problems.

As long as I watched from the middle angle and not too close, the 3D experience on the EG9600 was excellent. It doesn't suffer the kind of visible line structure evident on the 1080p EC9300, and yes, passive 3D allows its brightness to shine through for greater pop (especially against that perfect black backdrop) than the active-3D-equipped LCDs.

The irony is that the resolution/line structure issues of passive 3D on a 1080p TV disappear if you move further back, so to appreciate the advantage of passive 3D on a 4K screen you need to sit relatively close. Doing so on the EG9600 severely compromises its 3D performance.

Updated June 30. Thanks to Chris Heinonen for the suggestion to try changing my seating distance.

https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-65eg9600/review/
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
Paul H Paul H is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Thanks so much for the eg9600 3D details!
Our set was originally in the family room, before replacing it with the E6P and sending the 9600 to the bedroom. Never noticed 3D ghosting, except when standing over it when looking down on the screen. I get the same ghosting with the e6p.
The family room has a snack bar off the viewing axis to the left where we sometimes sit for convenience, and I never noticed ghosting as an issue. Perhaps improved techniques helped precise placement of the later eg9600 polarized filter alignment?

Love the quality 3D experience from both sets.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
wildbill722 wildbill722 is offline
Expert Member
 
wildbill722's Avatar
 
Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default Reviewer's Inexperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Thanks so much for the eg9600 3D details!
Our set was originally in the family room, before replacing it with the E6P and sending the 9600 to the bedroom. Never noticed 3D ghosting, except when standing over it when looking down on the screen. I get the same ghosting with the e6p.
The family room has a snack bar off the viewing axis to the left where we sometimes sit for convenience, and I never noticed ghosting as an issue. Perhaps improved techniques helped precise placement of the later eg9600 polarized filter alignment?

Love the quality 3D experience from both sets.
Yes, you've got TWO of the best of the best(I see a 77 inch eg9700 for sale on ebay for a mere $27K!) After reading the review again, I believe the reviewer was new to the nuances of the oled 3d experience. Like everything there are certain ways to enjoy a product and in order to enjoy an oled 3d tv you do have to know the parameters of where the 3d is the best. But when you do NOTHING will compare to it. And I agree with you the parameters are very large.

ps I changed my wording to more accurately reflect the review in question

pss Paul, when you were looking for the eg9600 did you ever actually see a eg9900 bendable screen lg?

Last edited by wildbill722; 04-17-2018 at 07:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (04-17-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Kenbar Kenbar is online now
Senior Member
 
Oct 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Hey Paul:
I indicated this "issue" for the eg9600 as CNET said:

Unfortunately 3D on the EG9600 is finicky: it's highly dependent on viewing distance and angle, and if you sit too close or view the screen from too high or too low then crosstalk--that ghostly double image that's the bugaboo of stereoscopic 3D--can be very obvious. I found it much easier to "see" such crosstalk on the EG9600 than on other TVs I've reviewed that use passive 3D, and in fact lack of crosstalk is one of the big advantages passive typically enjoys over active. Not so on the EG9600, at least from too close.

From my standard seating distance of about 8 feet I saw crosstalk in pretty much every scene from "Hugo," my standard 3D test disc. It was evident in the GK Films logo at the beginning, to the suit of Méliès, to the hand of Hugo as he reaches toward the toy mouse. My first thought was that perhaps reducing light output would do the trick, but it didn't.

Only when I moved back to around 10 feet did the crosstalk start to disappear, and then only in the middle of the screen; it was still evident along the edges (that's likely because the edges of the screen are more off-angle than the middle). At 12 feet or 13 feet it was gone completely, at least as long as I kept my eyes pretty much level with the middle of the screen. If I changed my vertical viewing angle much, to watch the screen from higher or lower, the crosstalk reappeared. I've seen these kinds of issues before on passive 3D TVs, but never as noticeable.

I'm guessing OLED's higher contrast makes crosstalk more visible, and perhaps it also has something to do with how the screen is structured compared to LCD. Of course, the larger screen of the 65-inch OLED creates more extreme angles than the smaller 55-inch set from the same distances, and indeed I had to sit a lot closer to that TV to see similar crosstalk problems.

As long as I watched from the middle angle and not too close, the 3D experience on the EG9600 was excellent. It doesn't suffer the kind of visible line structure evident on the 1080p EC9300, and yes, passive 3D allows its brightness to shine through for greater pop (especially against that perfect black backdrop) than the active-3D-equipped LCDs.

The irony is that the resolution/line structure issues of passive 3D on a 1080p TV disappear if you move further back, so to appreciate the advantage of passive 3D on a 4K screen you need to sit relatively close. Doing so on the EG9600 severely compromises its 3D performance.

Updated June 30. Thanks to Chris Heinonen for the suggestion to try changing my seating distance.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/lg-65eg9600-review/
The reviewers Oled had a mis-algned filter. I went through many 2016 TV's, 5 or 6, on my search for one with a well aligned filter (mostly LG UH8500's). Most had issues in only one area or another on the screen, but not the whole screen, looked like the crosstalk formed a bit of a wave typically. I believe they were stretched by the machine during manufacturing. One (LG 65UH8500) had the entire filter (evenly edge to edge) slightly off...and looked like what the reviewer is describing.

After being banned from returning items by Best Buy (punish the consumer instead of the manufacture) I ordered a more expensive Oled C6 from the internet, believing LG would perhaps pay more attention to filter alignment on their top models...and yet again ran a poorly aligned filter. Returned that...asked the seller if they wanted to try again or not. They sent me another one...perfect finally.

So I know any passive model can have problems...tv to tv within a model group. I suspected LG, at least in 2016, began to pay less and less attention to filter alignment believing few would notice or care (who likes 3D anyway, only a few weirdo's). But that's just a guess.

After coming to grips with the reality that there was a good chance 3D tv's might never be made again (meaning in the remainder my lifetime) and knowing that Oleds might have short lifespans, I started keeping my eyes out on Craigslist for another 3D tv. A friend of mine saw one, a 2015 LG 65UF8500 on "Messenger", some phone app...and told me about it. We went to see it and much to my surprise (MUCH) it had a well aligned filter so I brought it home and planted it right in front of my beloved Oled.

It has other issues...some dirty screen effect and some slight banding can be seen from time to time. Being an edge lit tv the backs are poorish...the black bars during wide screen movies tend to glow a bit. Also exhibits some jaggies from time to time. The Oled C6 spoiled me for PQ.

But it should last a long time and no concerns about burn in. In general I can say I am very happy with it. Great 3D and carefree viewing make it a winner in my book. And down the road, when it bites the dust...the C6 (now covered by a bed sheet and unplugged) will be there for me. Saving the best for last.


Last edited by Kenbar; 10-30-2018 at 04:37 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (10-29-2018), wildbill722 (11-04-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 AM.