Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 day ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
15 hrs ago
Shadow in the Cloud (Blu-ray)
$19.50

Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:35 AM   #1
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Cool The RedSabbath Forum

Hi everybody. I noticed a section in the BluRay.com forums where you can have your own thread & post what you'd like in it. Consider it my "baby" Twitter! Anyway, if you know me here, I'm a music fanatic, mostly the world of 1980's Metal, and I collect and discuss Blu-Ray collecting and review films on a regular basis.

Look forward to hearing from each of you, and keeping discussions flowing through here. Also, from time to time, I will repost certain older and newer posts of mine here to keep a tally if you will, of what I've said in the past you may have missed.

Enjoy! Chat with you soon!

-RedSabbath-
Old 06-21-2018, 02:36 AM   #2
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Exclamation RedSabbath's Double Dips (A-G)

Okay, here's my double dips as of 06/20/2018:

*A through G*

More below.

Last edited by RedSabbath; 07-06-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:37 AM   #3
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Exclamation RedSabbath's Double Dips (H-R)

Okay, here's my double dips as of 06/19/2018 Part Two:

*H through R*

More To Follow....
Old 06-21-2018, 02:51 AM   #4
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Exclamation RedSabbath's Double Dips (S-Z)

Okay, here's my double dips as of 06/19/2018 Part Three:

*S through Z*

Wow, I have a lot of double-dips, don't I? Sure, some may be upgrades, or alternate cuts, or singles versus double features, but I now see that my collection is greatly padded. What do you think I should do? Clean house or keep some of these? Let me know!

Last edited by RedSabbath; 07-10-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:54 AM   #5
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Angry RedSabbath Recent Order/Viewed (06/20/2018)

Just Ordered:

Hmm, what took me so long to finally buy these? Maybe because the Shout Collector Editions are always too high? Anyway, a little monster double feature for me this weekend. Humanoids was one of my CPOCWIWAK movies
[Show spoiler]Constantly Played On Cable When I Was A Kid
movies and I've been wanting to see it again for a long time (gotta be at least 25 years). Hope I get a Slip with Thing, but maybe it's been out too long now. We'll see.

Recently Bought/Viewed:

Arrrrrrrrrgh! Man, what a disappointment. Could have been a great new start, but man, almost an hour before you see any, and I mean any, resemblance of a TCM storyline. Hell, this movie could have been the origin story of anything! Even character-actor fav Stephen Dorff couldn't save this. Made the 2000's remakes look like the original in quality. No wonder the price dropped so quickly. Blah.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:55 AM   #6
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabbath's Recent Views (06/06/18)

Recently Watched/Rented (?):

Okay first off: HOW DID THIS MOVIE END UP IN REDBOX!!!!! Completely unrated too! I'm a horror nut, been so for close to forty years, and honestly the last film series to peak my interest was Saw. Since then, a slasher character from the past ten years (as if Jigsaw really was one, he ain't) seemed "been there, done that". But now is Terrifier, and Art The Clown. This dude is creepy! Imagine the silence of Jason, with the sadism of Freddy, and a ton of practical effect gore and you have this movie. After research, I found out that he comes from another anthology movie "All Hallows Eve" and a short demo film made to look like Grindhouse (you gotta see that one!). Anyway, this movie is way too gory to be in a Redbox. A must for any horror fan, can't wait for the sequel!

Recently Ordered:

Strangely ordered before I rented Terrifier, here's two of the not-so-great TCM films, but I want to finish my collection. I thought the R. Lee Ermey prequel was pretty good, and he really gave an excellent performance equal to Full Metal Jacket in his two TCM flix. Real b**tard! As for the other one, less than $4 bucks, same with Beginning. Just to fill out the collection, still need 3, 4, and '17's 8.

Recently Bought (Double/Triple Dip):

While I'm on the TCM kick, I bought this two weeks ago. I already have both Blu-Ray versions of the original and I know the second one is inside this Steelbook, but look at that cover! Is it just me or is that dead armadillo in front of the van cool or what? In fact, I believe this is the only Blu Ray release of any TCM movie without Leatherface or a chainsaw on the cover! I think there was a DVD release one time with just meat (?), but I never seen one without those two images before on Blu. Only cost $15 at FYE.....something about that cover.....
Old 06-22-2018, 02:57 AM   #7
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Buy.com RedSabbath's Greatest Blu-Ray Deal EVER!

Incredibly Recently Bought:

I just had to share this story with all of you as this probably is the best deal I've ever encountered in my six years of Blu-Ray collecting.

So yesterday I had the day off and usually I go to my local CD Warehouse, looking at used CD's and Blu-Ray's to find anything that I want that I already don't own. I went through the CD racks....nothing, then the Blu's...still nothing. So I was going to go home, said see ya to the counter guy that's been always pleasant to me, and then I looked behind him all the way up the top. There was the 15 disc Halloween Complete Collection set! Used, but I have never seen one in person before. Now, I own a lot of Halloween, including individual releases, and the available everywhere 10 disc set, but I always wanted the 15, mainly for the extended cut of the first movie on Blu (on Disc 15 oddly). I knew that it was going to be expensive (at least $150, maybe?), so I said "Oh, that Halloween set, afraid to ask but How Much?". He scanned it in the computer and said "$29.99". Quickly I said "Oh, a hundred and 29 dollars, huh?". "No, just $29.99 with tax". Holy crap I couldn't believe it! So like a dummy I said "Look dude, this thing is in perfect condition and I gotta be honest, it's worth ALOT more than that." Finally he said, "The computer don't lie, if you want it, 30 with tax.". So I gave him the money and walked out with one of the Holy Grails of Blu-Ray horror.

As I walked out to the car, I went on my phone to look up what Amazon was asking for used. To my shock it was over $280.00! Wow, just wow. So, what happened? Here's what I think: they base their used prices on Amazon's, so some employee there got it used, looked it up, saw the used price for the "10" disc version ($40 new), and without thinking marked it like that!

I've overpaid for discs in the past, but never got a deal like this before, and yes, all the discs are perfect, booklet perfect, and so is the box. I tried to tell him, but what the hey, here's thirty, and I keep the 250 change!

Pretty cool, eh? Thanks for reading! (From 05/29/2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #8
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Unhappy RedSabbath Sadly Returns: RIP Vinnie Paul

Man, my youth is slowly fading away. What a sad piece of news to hear because Vinnie not only kept the Pantera flame alive, but continued the Metal creation when a lot of today's youth ignored it for another genre. I remember his appearances on "That Metal Show" reflecting on Pantera's golden years with pride and respect, and always talking about his fallen brother in a way that kept his spirit alive. Not only was he a great Metal drummer, but his "sound" alone made him so recognizable. Rest In Peace Abbott brothers, you two are owed a lot of respect for Metal today.

(from 06/25/2018)
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (07-14-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 10:46 PM   #9
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabbath Reviews-Exorcist Nightmare Theatre

Exorcist-Nightmare Theatre
(The Unholy Trinity Deluxe CD Version)
1986/2016

Back in mid-to-late 1985, my group of 30 young and crazed Metalhead friends were in full swing of the underground Metal movement. Gone were the praises of any act that could get on radio or MTV, replaced with the worship of the heavier lesser-known acts at that time like Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, King Diamond, and Venom. To us, if it had a brutal or offensive front cover with music that matched, we were in. Soon the flood gates opened and numerous new bands came flowing through like Bathory, Possessed, and Exodus, and with each album the genre broaden & broadened, getting darker and more intense. Then one day through all this came an album that has stuck with me more than possibly all the others that came before it, with it's demonic sound and storytelling that today over thirty years later I scream it's praises. That album would be by an unknown "band" (read on) called Exorcist, and that album was called Nightmare Theatre. But strangely just what and how that album came to be might be more interesting (might, I say might) than the album itself....

Y'see back in the early to mid-80's was a lead singer/songwriter in New York by the name David Defeis. He was the leader of a small independent Power Metal band called Virgin Steele. Steele never grew to the heights of the bands I mentioned above, but consistently put out albums of great Power Metal in the vein of early Queensryche & Iron Maiden. However, after "borrowing" money from his manager to get the quality of the albums he and his band wanted to have, this manager started wanting some of that money back. Wanting to have his client "sing with the angels" rather than "sleep with the fishes", he proposed an idea, one that Defeis couldn't refuse: Write me some albums, find some musicians, record it quickly, and make me three albums I can sell on top of your stuff, all without knowing it's really you.

While artists pretending to be other artists weren't new (see The Monkees first two albums line-up of "real" musicians & songwriters), it was new to the world of Metal. But Defeis, stuck in a rock-and-a-hard place, accepted the deal to pay off the debt. Joined by fellow Virgin Steele guitarist Edward Pursino, they set out to record three Metal albums in one month. That's right, one month. Each trying to be distinct, different, and definitely not of the Virgin Steele mode, they quickly went into the studio to create this music all under the pressure to get certain people off their backs.

The first record was by an already established band called Piledriver. Led by vocalist Gord Kirchin, Piledriver was in sort of a "Mentors" like style, macho men with no regard towards women's rights. The album "Stay Ugly" was written by Defeis and Pursino after hearing the first one called "Metal Inquisition" and trying to pick up where that album left off. Written and recorded in less than a week, Stay Ugly was eventually a moderate success, a good start to this charade, but the best was yet to come.

The second album was supposed to be a brand new project. This was supposed to be a Black Metal album in the vein of Venom & newcomers Bathory. Defeis was to write the material, hire musicians to join Pursino, and oversee & produce the project. Defeis, rasied on a story-telling Opera-like background decided that this album would have a concept: the Salem Witch Trials of the 1600's and the demonic possession that went along with it. However, when it came time to record his satanic opus, both the bass player and hired lead singer dropped out immediately due to their own Christian beliefs. Pressured by time, Defeis realized that at this point the only man left for the vocal job was himself. So he got behind the mic and quickly changed his natural three octave plus vocals into the voice from Hell. And in less than a week, another album was recorded, and this was Exorcist.

Strangely, what really gets me about this album is just how good it is in what little time it was created. Over the top evil vocals that growl in pain, guitar solos that blaze in fire, and even bass and drum parts that sound like a band that's been together playing this material for years, not the presence of Virgin Steele. In fact, it had something most albums of the era couldn't say, it was actually frightening, like a Hammer horror movie of the 70's. To anyone who has never heard it, imagine if say Mercyful Fate were "forced" to make an album like Venom. Or Maiden doing their best Bathory. In fact, a photo shoot was done for the "fake" band with four guys that were NOT on the album! All this, under the gun of making sure NO ONE could recognize that it was really those guys from Steele. And trust me, they pulled it off. If this secret never came out, even I wouldn't have believed it was the same guys. Truly one of the strangest stories of 80's underground Metal, they created a "band" that after the project was done, hit the stores, sold well, and quickly disappeared with no one ever knowing that the band never really existed.

Sadly, and I do mean sadly, like many of the labels of that era, Cobra Records folded before the decade ended. Because of that, Nightmare Theatre never got a CD release (outside of a few bootlegs mastered from the vinyl). Over thirty-years passed, and just recently Defeis has come out to admit he was the one behind Exorcist. Lucky for all of us, when he handed over the masters to these three albums back in the 80's, he handed them mixed copies, keeping the tracked master to himself for one day maybe, maybe he'd release it again. Happily, in 2016 he decided it was the right time.

This two CD set, complete with slipcover, new liner-notes/photos, and what I'd never thought possible: lyrics, features not one, or two, but three different versions of the album, each slightly different than the rest. The first version is the original album I grew up with, remastered to today's standards, the second, a higher mix with a few slight additions, and a third where certain parts are extended, re-recorded, and additional eerie effects are added. As a whole it's a great presentation. Also are new "unearthed" Exorcist tracks, but in reality they are new tracks by Defeis recorded in the Exorcist vibe that finally let him be his Steele vocals self along with his "Damian Rath" dark half (for which he was credited as on the original album). These new tracks are interesting, including two re-records of "Death By Bewitchment" and "Queen Of The Dead", where he seems to be dueting with both halves of himself! Overall, this album, both the original and the new, is an 80's Thrash/Black Metal masterpiece. I know I say this a lot, but for an album that I first heard in my mid-teens to affect me so much as this, I truly mean it. With it's unique concept & storytelling (almost two years before King Diamond's Abigail), terror-like interludes, and blistering Metal tracks that will stick in your head forever, Nightmare Theatre is one of my Top Twenty-Five Albums ever, yup ever.

Finally, I'd like to add that if Mr. Defeis ever reads this, I'd like to thank him. I know Virgin Steele is your baby, your bread & butter, but out of all your work you've done, nothing has stuck with me as Nightmare Theatre has. A truly original piece of concept-album music for an era of Metal that will never die. It still sounds as fresh and downright scary as it did in 1986. Your personal remaster was well done. Hopefully with this, a new generation of fans will discover it, making you realize that even great moments can come out of duress. As you as the small child at the ending of the album says "All thanks to the Exorcist, God Bless You." Thanks man....but did you have to make me wait thirty years????? (Just kidding).

Oh, and what about the "third" album I was talking about? That final project was called "Original Sin" and was supposed to be an all-GIRL band. A girl band performed & written by three guys and David's own sister on lead vocals! Sounding like a musical continuation of Nightmare, but with a gothic female lead, it in itself is it's own story. Maybe when Defeis remasters this as well for February 2017, I'll continue. Thanks for reading, and thanks to the Exorcist!

(Originally Posted 11/26/2016)

Original Sin - Sin Will Find You Out
(1986/2016 30th Anniversary Release)

There might be a few of you that remember my review on the re-release of 1986's Exorcist-Nightmare Theatre & David DeFeis, the artist that wrote & made three Metal albums in just one month, all with different aliases. This was the third and final one of that group. Now that I have this new double CD set, it's very interesting to compare it with Nightmare. Musically, the band sounds exactly the same, but with more of a traditional Heavy Metal vibe as opposed to Exorcist's darker, thrashier one. While Defeis provided the demonic vocals for Exorcist, for Original Sin he enlisted his actual sister Danae to handle them and she does a great job. She doesn't really sound like a lot of those Metal female vocalists of the era, in fact she sounds a little like early era Geddy Lee really, just without the high-pitched "Oh Yeahs!". This band was also shown on the original back cover as an all girl band, but just Danae was the only real member in the picture, the other three gals were just eye candy, having their musical parts played by the guys. But honestly, is it as good as Exorcist? No, not really. In fact Defeis even admitted that he and guitarist Edward Pursino dumped all their best ideas into Exorcist, and what was left went into Original Sin. Not to say that "Sin Will Find You Out" is a stinker, it's not. It's really verrrrrry 80's in sound and style. And at times it is very heavy. So if you're a big fan of Nightmare Theatre, it is a must listen. It follows almost the same pattern of Exorcist: the guitar solo track, the "evil" vibe, the special effects in between songs, it is probably the closest we'll ever get to a follow-up to Nightmare.

Like the special edition re-release of Exorcist, Sin also comes with slipcover, full lyric and photo booklet, and two CD's featuring three different mixes of the original album. Not to mention two new tracks, but these two actually continue the Original Sin vibe while Exorcist's new ones really did not. In fact, if Dave & Danae ever did a modern day follow-up, I'd buy it due to these two new tracks, they're just that good. Another great Metal time-capsule of the underground 80's, definitely worthy of a revisiting listen. And while not as good as Nightmare Theatre (what is anyway?), it is worthy of being it's "sister" album.

(04-12-2017)

Last edited by RedSabbath; 07-06-2018 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:48 PM   #10
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabbath Reviews-Queensryche: Empire

I can't remember if I mentioned this album before here, but it is a masterpiece in progressive rock. Tracks like "The Thin Line", "Empire", and the hit "Silent Lucidity", play out like a band at the peak of their creative best. Sure, Operation: Mindcrime gets more credit, but the songs on here are simply better. This was the Metal album Pink Floyd fans always wished they have. It's a shame what eventually happened to Queensryche, with disputes with Tate and the remaining members of the band (as well as losing guitarist DeGarmo in the late 90's), hurt the band considerably, but they will always have these glory years, and Empire is the crowning jewel. In fact, listening to this today inspired me to get Rage For Order, and the Empire followup , Promised Land in their remastered form. BTW, those 2003 remasters of the classic first seven albums are definitely worthy of your collection, not too soft, not too loud. They deserve your recollection. Play it again....remember now.

(Originally Posted 07/04/2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 02:49 AM   #11
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Exclamation Responses To Queensryche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator66 View Post
Don't get me wrong I love Empire but I liken it to Metallica's Black album. Sure it was all polished up and presentable to the masses, but it lacked the meat of Master of Puppets and Justice just like Empire did to Mindcrime...
That's a good comparison. And I would agree musically/songwise, there's better stuff on Master/Justice than on Black, but I dunno Empire just "speaks" to me more. Damn, "Della Brown" man..... To me, nothing gets more deep than that track compared to anything on OMC. However, there nothing as fast n' heavy as OMC's "Spreading The Disease" on Empire either. Let's end with this: as a Prog Rock/Metal fan, you should own BOTH these records, both are important building blocks of the genre, and they were both done by the same band.

Quote:
.....I can't speak of King Diamond too much. After Fate's Don't Break the Oath I really didn't follow him...
Ah man, you missed out. The first four solo albums by King are fantastic, both musically and storytelling. But you're never too late, listen to "Them" and "Conspiracy" back to back (they're Parts 1 & 2) and you'll understand.

Quote:
...As far as concept albums go, The Wall is the only better one IMO.....
Well, as Mickey Knox once said:
"It's hard to beat the king....."

Quote:
I did get to see Queensryche headline on the Promised Land tour with Type O Negative. My other shows were opening for Ozzy (Rage tour), Def Leppard (Mindcrime tour) and Metallica 2x (Mindcrime tour). Wow, I guess I saw them 5 times.
Yeah, it's sorta sad. I never went to a concert for them, they just seemed to be there with who I wanted to see. The last time I saw them was around 2007 in support of "Heaven And Hell" on that Take Cover album. They broke into their cover of "Welcome To The Machine" and the audience was like "Zzzzzzzzzzz". Not the way I wanted to see them looked upon. They deserved better.

Thanks for the responses, Gator. Pull out a Queensryche album tonight for me this July 4th. Hell, they ARE an American band.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketheadPikes View Post
Meh, I think this album is kind of bland & it's when they started going downhill. Empire isn't a terrible album & I like a few songs from it, but Operation: Mindcrime is better imo, but even that album might be a bit overrated, just a bit, I can go with that. The Warning is easily my fav by them, & throw in the EP for good measure. I seen them in the early days & they were awesome, not so good on the Mindcrime II tour (I think? lol) w/Judas Priest. JP didn't really sound good that night either. The Operation: Livecrime cd/dvd set is really good too.
To each his own I guess. I do like all those releases you mentioned BHP, but to me Empire will always be my favorite.

(07/04/2018)

Last edited by RedSabbath; 07-06-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:34 AM   #12
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Talking Don't Tell Me The 90's Had A Chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeMo_ET View Post
Scream, Silence of the Lambs, Blair Witch, Sixth Sense, Candyman, In the Mouth of Madness, Misery, Know What you Did Last Summer, Seven, Jacob's Ladder, Urban Legend, Tremors, Event Horizon, Army of Darkness, Dracula, Cube, Demon Knight. I could go on!

Anything? Come on, 90s had some real good stuff on the go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theEXORCIST View Post
90s horror is awesome and don't forget tales from the crypt hbo show one of horrors greatest achievements
Okay, the 90's weren't all that bad.

However:

The 1980's:

Friday The 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street, Halloween 2 thru 5, Re-Animator, From Beyond, Hellraiser, The Fly '86, The Thing '82, The Shining, Day Of The Dead, Aliens, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Creepshow, The Return Of The Living Dead, An American Werewolf In London......

...and on TV we had Tales From The Darkside

I think we're done here.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:16 AM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSabbath View Post
Okay, the 90's weren't all that bad.

However:

The 1980's:

Friday The 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street, Halloween 2 thru 5, Re-Animator, From Beyond, Hellraiser, The Fly '86, The Thing '82, The Shining, Day Of The Dead, Aliens, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Creepshow, The Return Of The Living Dead, An American Werewolf In London......

...and on TV we had Tales From The Darkside

I think we're done here.
i'm not a big horror movie fan, but i have seen a few of those (friday the 13th, nightmare, halloween 2,3,4, the fly, the shining, aliens, and werewolf).

and i must say the one that scared me the most was aliens. that damn movie scared the crap out of me, lol; more than any other.

as well, 80s metal is some of the best. again, not a big fan of the genre, but i have been known to listen to some early metallica, a bit of slayer, anthrax, and even some pantera and megadeth (actually met these guys, once; really cool and down to earth) back in the day.

Last edited by sk33tr; 07-05-2018 at 04:20 AM.
Thanks given by:
RedSabbath (07-05-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 03:59 AM   #14
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Question Does Nostalgia Play On Your Love Of Films?

*This was from a "Halloween Vs Nightmare On Elm Street" thread on which is best. I proposed a question below and would love to hear some more opinions on the matter (From 06/12/2018)....

Why do I have to choose? I love them both!

I've been talking a lot about Michael and Jason around here lately (and Freddy and Leatherface too), but I wanna ask a simple question:

I grew up in the amazing 1980's, I saw a lot of these movies for the first time in theaters and drive-in's. I know a lot of fans grew up on them on DVD/Blu, but are there others like me (aka: old) who saw these new too? If so, has the passage of time and/or reboots changed your opinion on any? Or does nostalgia keep your love alive for them no matter what (like me)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dre View Post
That's a very good question. I, too am an 80's kid and saw many films first run or on VHS and nostalgia doesn't really play a part in my judgement because these films have never left me. Now tastes evolve and such, but I've been pretty solid on what I like and don't like, ever since I was younger. Reboots (good or bad) have not changed my mind on anything, I just take them as another chapter in the saga and keep it moving from there.

Nostalgia for me mostly comes in the form of TV and music, because those are things I tend to leave for a long period of time and then come back to, but film never falls into that area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMovieBuff View Post
I grew up with them on VHS. Missed them in the theater unfortunately due to being too young but to answer your question NOT AT ALL! I'm not really a believer of nostalgia in terms of if a movie is actually good or just good because you grew up on it. If there's a movie I like it's because I like the movie no matter what. In a sense I would say I believe in nostalgia for the great feeling it brings from a time when films were made with care rather than the box office returns of nowadays.
Please, post your views!
Old 07-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #15
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Angry What Happened To Horror In The 1990's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMovieBuff View Post
....Horror died down in the 90s after an incredible run in the 70s-80s....
Well, to be honest, it didn't really die down, it got watered down. The 90's was the era of the PG-13 horror flix. And for two reasons, 1) the MPAA was in full swing to censor a lot of movies making the gore barely presentable and not worth doing in the first place & 2) The studios wanted to get more young asses in the seats and to make horror as PG-13 sort of guaranteed that.

It wasn't till the dawn of the 2000's things changed. First, the invent of the DVD could provide unrated cuts of films much easier opening up the MPAA as "not as significant" as they once were. Also face it, if it wasn't for the popularity of the "Saw" franchise in 2004, waking people up to real horror again, we may have had the 90's all over again.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:49 AM   #16
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabb's Recent Find Of The Day (07/09/18)

Recently Purchased (Again But For Reason....):

So part of my weekly ritual is to go to my local two Goodwill's. While I don't buy DVD's anymore, I do buy used CD's and at Goodwill the occasional Blu Ray. Every so often you find something good and this was one of them. This OOP set of the Original Trilogy, even though it is still available under the Disney release, was unopened, still sealed! And with the "color of the day" sticker, it came up to $1.46, that's it. I don't plan to open it (I've had "The Complete Saga" for years), but I recently priced it on Amazon and unopened it's going for $45 to $65 dollars. Wow. BTW, can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the Fox releases and the Disney ones outside of packaging? Curious. Go to Goodwill, you may be surprised what you find.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 03:38 AM   #17
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Amazon RedSabbath Reviews: Queensryche Promised Land

Part of my recent purchases of remastered Queensryche CD's, it took me a little time to realize that outside of the singles of this 1994 release, "I Am I" & "Bridge" (two great tracks), I have never sat through this album in it's entirety. After doing so, it's a strange follow-up to megahit "Empire". Somber, darker, and chock full of sonic interludes, Promised Land is almost a Metal carbon copy of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", and that's not a bad thing. However, without the catchy hooks of "Empire" I can see why this was the beginning of their decline. No where as bad as the grunge followup "Hear In The Now Frontier" (at least this album sounds honest, "Hear" sounds forced & desperate), but I would assume Ryche fans would consider this a classic in their library, but not for a newbie.

(07/11/2018)

[Show spoiler]Have you gone to my thread yet? I want to hear your opinions! Click below!
Old 07-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #18
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Best Buy RedSabbath Reviews-Ash Vs Evil Dead Season 2

Recently Bought/Currently Watching:

Recently went down to Best Buy & I picked up a copy of Season Two to go with my Season One. I saw all these episodes on a binge of a Starz/Encore free weekend preview awhile ago, so now I can take my time with them. As most know, for some lame-ass reason, Starz has given up on the show and cancelled it after only it's third season, and I'm not too happy about that. It is a great, gory, and fun show with a decent supporting cast & Campbell's still able to pull off the Ash character without it being...well, sad. But I do have to be honest with myself, regardless of all the unique, horrific effects in every episode, it does tend to feel like a one-trick pony at times. Drive, fight evil, drive, find evil, etc. In a way, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. But I still love the show & was angry it didn't get say a 5 year run. But this scenario usually succeeds better in the hour & a half format, maybe that's why I never got into "The Walking Dead", I prefer my Zombies in hour & a half spurts, not for years & years.

Still, nice Blu presentation with commentaries and shorts on the show. Though the introduction of
[Show spoiler]Ash's daughter
in Season 3 seemed a tad desparate, I plan on buying it too to finish the trilogy.

(BTW, this repost is my 1000th post on BluRay.Com )

Last edited by RedSabbath; 07-13-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:28 PM   #19
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Exclamation Some "Seventh Star" Talk (From 06/28/2017)

Quote:
Look, what BHP said, quoting from Iommi's book, which by the way I own and it's a great read, pretty much sums up the awkward feeling of the album at the time. You gotta remember, this was the follow-up to Sabbath's most epic & evil album ever, Born Again. I was right there back in January of 1986 with my cassette copy, being just a junior in high school at the time. All my group loved Born Again. In fact, friends who didn't really care for Sabbath, still loved Born Again. I remember everyone was in agreement that Seventh Star was horrible, but only that way because of what it followed. I, the Sabbath fanatic to the end, tried to explain that the title alone "Featuring Tony Iommi" should say something, and the fact that he was the only original member from Born Again, it has to be a solo album or something. And eventually I found out I was right.

Is it a Sabbath album? No, but in history due to the name, it is. But does it suck? The answer is "Hell No"! It is a great album straight from the glam-metal 80's. Drummer Eric Singer is incredible on it and Glenn Hughes did prove he was more than Deep Purple's bass player with incredible soaring and emotional vocals. Not to mention some of Iommi's best solo work and an unique sound for each which he never quite repeated. A lot of great tracks, especially "Angry Heart/In Memory" that gets you by the metal heartstrings. And yes BHP, while "Headless Cross" is definitely more of a group effort, Seventh Star to me is a better album.

Quote:

Great points RS, & your willingness to discuss/debate & present your points &/or counterpoints in a constructive manner, & you also expressing your respect for my opinion as well, is much appreciated. Thank you for being a respectful communicator. You know how I feel about Born Again. It took time to go grow on me, didn't really 'get it' at first. I do like it more now than I ever did, but still feel it's down on the scale a bit for me, & that Master of Reality is actually heavier, with much better songs. I remember my friends having the same reaction as me to BA, not the same reaction as you & your friends, so, there ya go on that one, same with Seventh Star.

Who said Seventh Star sucks? I haven't read that posted by anyone, & I know that I didn't state that either, nor did I imply it. I said I'm not a fan of the album, & then I actually commended Tony's solos & stated that the album has what I consider to be some decent songs. If anyone equates my statements to me saying the album "sucks," you're mistaken & you're putting your own meaning into my words. Bottom line for me is that I never thought of it as a BS album & never will & I'll take Tony's own factual words about it originally being a solo album, not wanting to release it as a BS album, not intending to write it as a BS album & the only reason it's titled a BS album is because some WB suit & tie, along with Don Arden, forced him to do it, in the hopes that sales would be good, esp. considering the dropped-like-a-brick freefall of Born Again on the charts, from #4 on the UK charts, to #99 in a mere 7 weeks! By the time Seventh Star charted though, U.S. interest in Black Sabbath had already started to wane, & that's a fact.

This can't be repeated enough; we all simply just like what we like, & don't like what we don't like, & some stuff we're simply just indifferent to. It's nothing personal with anyone else, it's personal with oneself.

And as for Glenn, despite his 80's problems, he did rejoin Tony for two more studio albums, Fused and The 96 DEP Sessions, both of which are incredible follow-ups to Star. Yes, this is the Sabbath album with the "*" (asterisk), but that doesn't change the fact it's a great recording.

Quote:
....As for the album & my opinion of it, I'm not a fan of it myself, some good leads by Tony & a few decent songs, but I really only listen to Headless Cross & Tyr when it comes to the 80's-90's stuff, & Dehumanizer of course. Glenn Hughes is hit or miss with me.....Hopefully you won't take my opinion of the album as a personal attack on you &/or your listening habits, & get all bent out of shape like someone else apparently has on here with me, over an opinion I expressed in another thread. I'm glad you like the album & find enjoyment from listening to it, more power to you!
Yeah, of course. No one should be afraid to post their opinions, no matter how they may differ from the other. Everyone should have that way of posting.

Quote:
As for In For The Kill being the sister track to Turn Up The Night, I don't see or hear it. I think a more accurate assessment is that Turn Up The Night is the sister track to Neon Knights. \,,/_(-,-)_\,,/
You're probably more "on the nose" BHP. In fact if you line-up Heaven & Hell with Mob Rules, you'll see a familiar pattern, fast song, epic song, title track, ballad, etc. They are very alike records, it's just that Mob Rules is more epic in sound.

But to be fair, "In For The Kill" definitely comes from the family of "Neon Knights" songwriting within the Sabbath family too.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:10 AM   #20
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabbath Reviews-Paranoid Super Deluxe

Black Sabbath-Paranoid Super Deluxe Box Set
(RedSabbath Rating: 9 and a half outta 10 stars)

Paranoid. The 1970 Black Sabbath second album that not only exploded them into Heavy Metal icons but single-handedly created the genre as well. Nearly every single Metal fan from all generations have experienced it and probably will never be topped or repeated in success. Hard to believe not one, but three all-time classic tunes came from this one album: War Pigs, Iron Man, and of course the song they wrote last minute just to fill up the album's length, Paranoid.

This album has been released and reissued more times than one can count. Just recently, Paranoid (along with other Sabbath classics) got the 2 CD Deluxe treatment back in 2009. Now, we have this, the SUPER Deluxe Box Set, this time with four complete discs of music, and extra swag to boot. But is it overkill? Too much of a good thing? The answer is no, but a little yes as well.

For only thirty or so dollars, you get four discs with a '70 tour program, a hard-cover book full of new interviews, pictures, & insight, and a full sized poster of the band from this era, all contained in a heavy-duty box to hold it all. Each of the albums come housed in a LP reproduction slipcovers that have each disc in a paper protector inside the sleeve just like the old days of vinyl. But it's what's on these discs that make it a worthy purchase or not.

Let's skip to Disc Two, the 1974 Quad Mix of the album. This is a rarity for Sabb fans. But because CD is only 2 channels, you aren't actually getting the 4 channel Quad Mix like in '74. What you get here is what would have come out of your back speakers, with the original album coming out of the front two. Still with a very different mix, with additions and subtractions to the existing music, it's quite a treat, while never, ever replacing your main mix album. Great to have, but really not that essential.

But where you stop questioning your purchase is with Discs Three and Four. Two concerts from 1970 right before Paranoid came out and before Sabbath made their first American appearance, THIS is the true reason you bought this set! One concert from Montreux and one from Brussels. Now the Brussels disc has been widely bootlegged for years. This is the one that was misnoted as being from "Paris". You've seen the video on various Sabbath specials and even Ozzy's "God Bless Ozzy Osbourne", but you have never, and I mean never heard it sound this good. From the moment I pressed play I was shocked at it's fidelity and clarity. After decades of listening to the boot of this, I can now toss that away forever. In fact, most of this recording ended up on Disc Two of Black Sabbath's Past Lives release (with added crowd noise), but that too sounds like mud compared to this. In fact, it's also more complete than any boot/Past Lives recordings, with more Ozzy chatting and tune-up's (sorry no more songs though). The Montreux show is also of excellent quality, with Ozzy's young voice so clear, you'll turn your head thinking he's right there in your living room. Two greats shows, with alternate lyric versions of Iron Man, Hand Of Doom, and even the "Walpurgis" version of War Pigs and incredible sound that I still can't believe they were able to remaster with what they were working with. I personally would have paid thirty bucks for these two discs alone. They are the true reason why you should buy this set.

As for the main Disc One, the original album, yes it sounds great. With volume levels at a proper, yet not crushing level, it puts the 2009 version to shame. While "The Black Box" 2002 version comes close, this one has even more clarity and body. If you ever looked for a definitive version, this one is it, though I believe this remaster is available as a single disc release now too.

Now, I'm a Black Sabbath fanatic, and proud of it. Of course I'm going to give this a highly praising review, but believe it or not, I do have one issue about it that I'm going to share with you. You see, for one album to have the title "Super Deluxe", it still seems to be missing something. For one, the 2009 2CD re-release had a second disc of eight tracks featuring instrumental and alternate vocal takes of the songs from Paranoid. Interesting stuff, but it's NOT part of this release! And also, when you read the informative book included with "Super" you'll notice many quotes taken from all the band members as well as former managers and engineers from a 2010 home DVD/Blu Ray release from the "Classic Albums" series. This disc too is MIA from this box set. You'd figure that by the name alone you wouldn't have to make three different purchases to have a truly complete collection of the Paranoid album, but sadly if you really want it all, that's what you'll have to do.

In the end, this still is one incredible box set for one incredible, ground breaking, genre creating, album. Hopefully others in Sabbath's library will also get the same treatment (Master Of Reality, anyone?), but this was the obvious starting point. With such a low price you can't really go wrong with this, and again, the live discs are just too good to pass up (did I mention outside of bootlegs, "Super" is the only way to get them?). So go back to 1970 and revisit the greatest Heavy Metal album of all time. And this time in style! Oh Lord Yeah!

(01/11/2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Member Personal Pages

Tags
disc, horror, metal, music, sabbath