Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
9 hrs ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
7 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
18 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
18 hrs ago
Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
13 hrs ago
Krull (Blu-ray)
$5.99
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 07-17-2018, 02:43 AM   #21
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs down RedSabbath Reviews-Hellraiser: Judgment

Recently Bought/Watched:

Sigh. Can I have just one reboot that would not make me regret the purchase? Just one? Leatherface? Nope. Freddy? Nah. Jason? Maybe a little.....

Anyway, this latest (second attempt) reboot of the classic Hellraiser series (number 10, believe it or not) tries to add new characters into Pinhead's world, some pathetic, some interesting, like The Auditor, a second in command to Pinhead that's like Colonel Klink in facial scars, who appears more in the movie than actually Pinhead. But it was because of him, I had hopes for this film, at least it was different, that is until it got to the main story of three detectives trying to hunt down a serial killer (could of sworn they did this in Part 5 Inferno already) only to have a watered down version of a Saw ending. And like at least five of the sequels before it, you get barely 15 minutes of camera time for Pinhead. The only things actually going for this movie is it's ALOT better than the one before it, Revelations (not too hard to do) and the new actor to play "ole Pins" is doing a great Bradley impersonation. Sure, he's no Doug, but this guy is the closest we'll probably get. Sadly though the movie just isn't gripping like the first four or so, even with a guest shot with Chatterer and some audio cues from the original. Maybe with a well written sequel this new cast might make a decent Hellraiser movie, just next time, don't forget that we see these films for Pinhead, not the supporting cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSabbath View Post
Recently Bought/Watched:

Sigh. Can I have just one reboot that would not make me regret the purchase? Just one? Leatherface? Nope. Freddy? Nah. Jason? Maybe a little.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_nebula View Post
From your collection.

Well..okay. In fact, the ED remake probably would fall into the same category as Friday The 13th (2009), not terrible but not all that close to replacing the original.

It's funny, the only recent (recent as in the past fifteen years) horror remake I can honestly say came as close to quality as the original was 2004's Dawn Of The Dead. Now that was a great re-imagining of the Romero classic. But Evil Dead '13 was okay at best and honestly, though it wasn't in a theatrical format, "Ash Vs. Evil Dead" is/was better. Thanks FN for looking through my collection & continuing the discussion!

Last edited by RedSabbath; 07-17-2018 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added Response (07/17/2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:53 PM   #22
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Unhappy Metalocalypse Director Jon Schnepp Has Passed Away

Some tragic news, Jon Schnepp has passed away from a stroke. Schnepp directed many episodes of the excellent Metalocalypse cartoon series, and wrote Slayer's recent Repentless comic. Comic book nerds might recognize him as the guy who did The Death of “Superman Lives”: What Happened? based on the 90s Superman movie that never was with Tim Burton, Kevin Smith and Nicolas Cage.

Aside from Metalocalypse, Schnepp has worked in some capacity with everything from Ferris Bueller's Day Off (as an actor) and Aqua Teen Hunger Force. He also appeared as an extra in Iron Maiden's "Be Quick or Be Dead" and Metallica's "The Memory Remains" music videos.

RIP, Dethklok was great, man -RS-
Old 07-24-2018, 01:15 AM   #23
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Cool RedSabb's Star Trek Talk (07/23/2018)

Just Ordered:

Just Watched:

Spent most of my weekend rewatching/skimming-through the original 10 films of the Star Trek franchise (again). As a life long Trek fan (though I've never "dressed up" or went to a convention), to me there is no complete disaster of a Star Trek film (yes, I think V: The Final Frontier is a good film, especially compared to the first or reboot's Into Darkness). While I only own the complete series' of TOS & TAS, I tend to like these re-edited two-parters of The Next Generation & Unification is the last on my wish list.

As for the Stardate Collection, yes each of these are still the 2009 masters with the uninspiring Trek Crest on white background menus, but recently I compared it's "Khan" to the recently remastered 50th Anniversary Khan Directors Cut, and while 50 looks better, it really doesn't look better by much. Sure, one day these will hit the 4K train, and maybe that will inspire me to get on board, but anyone still waiting on Trek should still trust these '09 versions. Each has tons of special features, on most really great and rewatchable. The two bonus discs had some great exclusive content, especially "The Captain's Summit" with the five actors discussing Trek Life (and other subjects) for an hour, very entertaining. Also, on the "Evolutions" disc is some more bonuses, including footage from the now defunct "ST:The Experience" that was located in Las Vegas that I was lucky enough to visit way back in July of 2001. In fact, looking back at the photos I took, most of the exact same actors I met were still working there on the videos showing of it's last day closing. Sorta sad it doesn't exist anymore, but will always have this footage, including two shorts on the two different "rides" the Experience featured (think of the bonus of "Back To The Future:The Ride" that it's box set included). Weird though, while it shows you all the "live" footage, the pre-recorded footage of The Borg Queen, Riker, The Doctor, and LaForge has been edited out of it, maybe due to not wanted to pay the actors twice (?). Anyway, nice set, especially if you never bought the individual releases, and reminds you that Trek, the original mid 60's thru early 00's Trek, will always be the best.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #24

Oct 2011
Then:Zambia...Now:North Carolina, USA

That's sad. I loved Metalocalypse and Dethklok.

also to answer someone's post earlier, I was born in 81 and spent the late 80's watching Friday the 13th, Halloween, and Steven Seagal movies with my dad. We'd actually go to the vhs rental store and get one when I would stay with him every other weekend. Maybe it was the divorced dad thing letting your boy do something his mother wouldn't approve of, but I loved it and it gave me the love of movies, and horror specifically, I have today. I'm not deterred by any remake, I kinda just look at it for what it is, new stories. Getting MORE of something IMO never hurts what we have already, even the misses. Also the fact my last name is Myers never hurt being a Halloween fan lol.
Thanks given by:
RedSabbath (07-26-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 03:53 AM   #25
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Lightbulb RedSabbath Reviews-ST:TNG Redemption

Getting even more of my Star Trek geek on, I got this off of Amazon to get 4/5th's of my ST:TNG TV Movie collection. While you can get these in two-parter form on the Season box-sets, the stand alones are the only way to get them edited together like a TV Movie. This one like the others comes with a brand new retrospective (about thirty HD minutes) on the making of each two-parter & commentary from former Trek writers & actors. However, with this one and say "Unification", both talk about a previous episode that eventually leads into these two-parters, and it seems like a lost opportunity to not also include that episode on the disc as well.

Sadly, because this is the "Klingon/Worf" one, it reminded me of Jon Paul Steuer, the first child actor to portray Worf's son Alexander, who passed away this January at only 33 (he only played the part once, to be replaced by Brian Bonsall, who most remember as Michael J. Fox's little brother on Family Ties.). While his character isn't in this episode, being a part of Trek will let his memory live forever.

As for the episode itself, it isn't the best two hour TNG (Best Of Both Worlds easily takes that honor), it's a treat for Klingon fans, featuring characters that would reappear, including the Klingon sisters Lursa and B'Etor, who show up again in movie seven "Generations". Still, a good price for, in a way, one of five "lost" Star Trek TV movies that never actually aired as TV movies, but to newbies in this format, it might actually make you think you missed one.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:56 AM   #26
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Angry I'd Rather Not Get Too Graphic.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brps3 View Post
What did he die of?
Well, I didn't want to bring it up in the mini-review, but let's just say the same way Kurt Cobain did. Exactly the same.

What's sad is he did have a decent career as a child actor. He was the son on Grace Under Fire for years, so those residual checks probably keep him comfy. He had a rock-band too to keep him busy. Who exactly knows why some are driven to that, it's sad and hopefully for others in their life they can reach out before things like this happens. Unfortunately for him it was too late I suppose.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #27
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Exclamation Don't Tread On My Live Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettxwt View Post
Not to be one of those people, but when your response gets glossed over completely..
Oh, did you respond to one of my posts? Let's look.....

Quote:

Sorry to break it to you Red, because I know this is a dope album but I've never really liked the Live Evil production Great performances and setlist, but I've always hated this album for some reason. The Hammersmith 1981 show is night and day, Live Evil pails in comparison to that recording. Live Evil wasn't stereo, was it? I know heh vinyl, but hasn't Live Evil been brought to stereo from the mastertapes, it was remastered or remixed I'd say in the last 20-25 years because I remember the 1996 Castle/2004 remasters at least, but that YouTube comment was weird. It said Hammersmith, despite being a raw untouched recording it was superior to Live Evil because it, unlike Live Evil, was stereo. I know both are no doubt been remastered from their original tapes, but is it because Hammersmith was released in the digital era and it's origin was initially in MP3 downloads/this one really limited edition CD back in '07 with this show limited to 1000 copies or something like that? It was released online digitally, never having a vinyl, cd, cassette, etc. release
Whoa, just whoa. Live Evil isn't in stereo?!!? Jeez, of course it is. Just listen to Vinnie's drum solo when he travels through his kit from right to left. Yes, it's in stereo, maybe not as separated as Hammersmith, but we are talking mixings between two albums over thirty years apart.

As for the Hammersmith release from the 00's, it is a fantastic mastering of the original, thought lost tapes, but to me it tends to sound a little too good at times, a tad on the treble-high side. Live Evil has this humoungous bottom end as if the whole concert was played through Geezer's speakers, and to me give it that "epic" monster sound.

While your opinion over which is better I shall respect, I still stand by Live Evil as not only Sabbath's best live album, but still my favorite live album of all time. True, I was only 13 the first time I heard it and never stopped (that's quite a few decades past I care not too admit), but it's grandiose sound and not to mention Dio's effortless interpretation of Ozzy's material, always got me everytime. Hammersmith is a favorite of mine too, but honestly it still feels like a bootleg to me, not a bad thing, but not as well edited as Live Evil.

Wow Brett, come to think about it, how long ago was that original post of mine? Must have been awhile, and thanks for the rebuttal. Remember, when it comes to opinions, there really isn't any right answers.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:09 AM   #28
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabbath Reviews-Evanescence (2011 Deluxe)

I think there was a quick review I did on this 2011 self-titled third album a year or two ago here where I said something like "...it isn't as good as Fallen". Now, I feel it's actually better. The songs, production, and of course Amy Lee are extremely heavy & powerful on this record & it surprises me that it wasn't a bigger hit than it was 7 years ago. Recently I got this, the 16 track version with four extra tracks that were left off originally that honestly are just as good as what was left on. Came with a DVD too, but I seriously doubt I'd watch it again as it's only one music video, the making of the album & video, plus some reflections of certain tracks by Amy herself. Actually though, the DVD has menus with instrumental versions of some of the songs in the background, odd because face it, Amy's vocals are the star of the show here, but in sample form an interesting listen. Got it cheap, but beware with that slipcase/digipack packaging, easily to scratch the discs with a few pull out's. Recently Amy released "Synthesis", an album of newly recorded versions of older songs that didn't really grab me (that might change like this one did) and soon will have a new live album/Blu-Ray also called Synthesis that will feature classic tracks with an orchestra behind her. So far from what I seen it seemed entertaining, but I gotta say when she belts it out and rocks like she does on this & Fallen (The Open Door was too "Tori Amos-ish" for me), she really is in her best element. A ballad or two, okay...but the lady can rock hard.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-24-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 12:50 AM   #29
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Question RedSabbath Returns (With Question)-Anthrax Among The Living

Let's keep this part simple: if this album isn't in your Top Three Albums of the Thrash Metal era, throw your music device in the toilet now. Listening to the "Aftershock: Island Years" box-set remastered version & it sounds great! This album defined Anthrax, an album that has so many of their signature, on every live set-list songs, I personally can't believe how well it still holds-up, a must listen remastered.

Okay, now that I got that outta the way, I have a question about photos of album covers attached to MP3's. After a way-too-long sabbatical, I have started to make MP3's again. This time, I'm only using Windows Media Player to convert CD's at the 320KPBS bit rate, and I gotta say that I'm impressed with the quality. They sound great in my car. But ever since I started making MP3's way back in the late 90's, I never attempted to attach a picture of the cover to them. This time I'm giving it a shot. I'm "dragging/dropping" the JPG image on the empty space of the album through WMP's Album Library section and within seconds, there it is. I have another program on my new computer, "Groove Music" and it shows up there too. But is it really there?

My question to you youngsters out there is this: has the JPG actually attached itself to the album & if played on say a touch-screen car stereo (mine only shows text), will it pop-up there too? I don't use ITunes, and I have noticed two "hidden" JPG files in each album folder I've added the image, but will it only read in WMP/Groove, or will it read on any device that can show a JPG file with an MP3?

I'm really curious because since I personally don't own an outside device that can display the JPG anyway, I might want to stop trying to attach the picture to the album anyway. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:44 PM   #30
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Best Buy RedSabbath Reviews: DP2/AVEDS3/AIW

Gotta say, I figured this would be somewhat of a let-down, but definitely as good as the first. Really like the two-disc set aspect of it with each cut getting a disc (what happened to "seamless branching" to put both on one?), and though I find the steelbook's artwork a little less desired (they could have done a sequel to the unicorn one or something a little more 80's), it is awfully red. I like red.

I talked about this release a week ago. I bought it on a whim at Walmart for $19.99 with slip. Then a week later when I went to Best Buy to get DP2, this steelbook was staring at me for only $21.99. Damn, for two more dollars I could have had the steelbook....wait, I haven't opened it yet! So I bought it, went home, grabbed the regular, still in bag with receipt, and got my money back. This steelbook's cover picture is interesting too, but they are getting a tad too creative lately, huh?

I just rented this one. Is it just me, or there's just too much going on in this movie. And what's the deal with the ending, who do you think you are, Empire Strikes Back? So everybody's in on this war except the XMen and the gang from Deadpool (who seems like they both might be in the sequel, who's left anyway)? I dunno, sort of a let down, maybe they're saving the best for Chapter 2.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:00 AM   #31
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabbath Responds: Labor Day Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzo29 View Post
Hi Red, the answer is yes. Once you tag a music file with an album cover image it should stay attached to the file wherever you transfer it and should display on your playback device as long as it supports this. I have a ton of files on a USB stick and when I plug it into my car and play from it I get the album covers on my touchscreen.....
Thanks Donzo, I'm hoping by the end of this week I can test it out on my buddy's touchscreen stereo to see for myself. Lemme ask you, do you attach album covers through Windows Media Player too, or do you have another program you're using?

Quote:

Such a dope album, thanks for introducing it to me Red
You're welcome, it's nice to introduce something to someone that's been in your life for decades for the first time. Especially music. I say to a lot of young 20's somethings over the past decade "Your father's music IS your music", because I feel that the media and music labels are pushing certain musical genres on you making you think that that's what you should listen to. Not that I feel you shouldn't listen to anything you want, but honestly, over the past decade or so on regular radio (what's left of it), when was the last time you heard an actual musician? Or the music wasn't created on a computer rather than by a human's hand? Look, my Dad enjoyed Elvis in his teens, that wasn't my music, but honestly any band that plays heavy music today are influenced by a lot of artists that were king when I was a teen. And when I was a teen, Slayer didn't like Elvis....okay, Danzig did, but that's beyond the point.

Oh, I've been playing with all the CD's I've bought over the past few years turning them into MP3's again, the latest:

...but only the Stevie Nicks songs with the best of her solo career, to make one big Stevie album. Always liked her, funny I would bet she sang the least amount of songs during her time but probably had the biggest hits. A lot more too, but I'll mention them later. Thanks for reading.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:52 AM   #32
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Exclamation RedSabbath Returns: Recent Rips 'N' Buys

So I've been converting to MP3/USB Thumb Drive like crazy over the past few weeks on all the CD's I've bought in the past eight years. Barely made a dent. Thanks to Donzo though, yes WMP does attach readable album covers to MP3's and they look great. That "Ultimate Kansas" is from 2002 and sounds really good with a very decent songlist. Same goes for that Bad Company too (only missing "Rock Steady"). The two Sabbath's are exactly one in the same because even though I didn't need it, I saw it used for $8.99 yesterday and figured "Might as well complete the Sabb Deluxe collection". As always great packaging and liner notes, even the live B-Side sounds better than the ones on H&H Deluxe. I've also have recently listened/ripped these too:

Two very small audience recordings from 2008 & 2016 (probably less than 100 in the crowd) that sound fan-freakin'-astic. Sadly, I also bought the 3 disc of "Master Of Puppets" so I can have live tracks from the "Damage, Inc" tour, but honestly, horrible sound. Sounds like all songs were recorded in the audience...you mean to tell me they never recorded a show from the soundboard once on this tour?!!? Sorta not worth the $20 for the 3 discer. But the sound quality on these "official-released bootlegs" is really, really good. It's just a shame that it's the older James than the young version. Thumbs up on Rasputin during "Fade To Black" when James yells "Can You Hear Us, Cliff!!!". That was cool. Thanks for reading.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:40 AM   #33
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabbath Goes Even More Retro.....

I HAD to buy this again, along with the Meatballs one & the Highlander one. Being a child of the "Blockbuster" generation it blew me away with these "Retro VHS" Blu-Ray slipcovers. Now I have collected slipcovers since the beginning (to those that don't get it, imaging buying a hard-cover book without one), but these take the cake. Especially with the backs with the showing of the VHS tape coming out. The spine on the opposite side is the actual sticker that would be on the VHS tape. Another thumbs-up is all the round genre stickers and hand-written notes. Well done and it takes me back. Only thing I didn't like was that "John Wick" is a part of this, and it never had a VHS release.

Yeah, big thumbs up from me. Hopefully BluRay.com will get decent scans of these for the pages they assigned for them.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:35 AM   #34
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up A mother! Of A Movie....

...something I posted in the Jennifer Lawrence Appreciation Thread & the mother! Thread:

Kaley Cuoco?!!?

Just kidding. Anyway, me & JLF discussed this a little & I figured I'd repost my first reaction here.

Incredible. Just plain incredible symbolism & hidden meanings. Still stunned by it. No wonder it went over so many people's heads.

I want to watch it a second time before I even attempt to do a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
...which of course begs the question, why go see it in the first place. I guess because of J-Law?
I said this in the "mother!" thread already, but I recently found a slipcovered copy in the WalMart bargain bin. I always was curious about the film & then decided to take the chance. Then strangely it rang up as only $5.00 dollars instead of the normal $7.88 (that wasn't a mistake either, the description on receipt said "MOTHER").

That's when I proposed the question "Is this movie that bad?!!?". Happily I was proved wrong, but it left me slightly uneasy. Sort of like how Darren's "Requiem" did too.

As for Lawrence, I definitely don't dislike her, but can't say I'm close to a fan like JLF is (be proud JLF!).

I mean, I loved her in Hardcore Henry and that remake of The Magnificent Seven.......wait a minute......

Last edited by RedSabbath; 10-09-2018 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:40 AM   #35
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabbath Reflects: Megadeth '07-'16

Thru

Finally sat down to make a 30 song "best-of" of Megadeth's past five albums from 2007 to 2016 for my MP3 collection. Y'know, out of the Thrash Metal Big-4, only Mustaine has been most consistent. Sure, it tends to feel a little "been there, done that", but hell, if it ain't broke....

Also I'd like to remark that strangely Megadeth is one of the few bands I really like, that I like in parts not the whole. Meaning, each album to me (outside of "Killing" & "Peace Sells") have about 75% I really like/25% I could live without. I did the same 30 track treatment to "So What" through "Youth" as well back in the 00's, and I never missed a track that I didn't put in there. Strange because I'm usually a "like some/like all" type of Metalhead, but not with Megadeth & they're one of my favorite bands ever.

Anyway, if you ignored these Mega years, you should definitely check them out. Especially "Dystopia" & "Endgame". Good old fashion Thrash the way it was meant to be.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:19 AM   #36
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Exclamation RedSabbath Reviews: Heathen-Breaking The Silence

Ever since I started up making MP3's again, I've been revisiting my past with the Thrash Metal albums of my teenage years. While bands like the Big 4 tend to be timeless because of their stature, it's the smaller ones that have been taking me back & getting my money lately to get the best remaster available. This time it was 1987's Heathen & their debut album "Breaking The Silence". This one is more Power Metal influenced with hints of Thrash, almost sounding like a watered-down version of Arch-led Fates Warning. But what caught all our interests in this so many years ago was the cover song "Set Me Free" originally done by Sweet, that not only got airplay, but a video on MTV. Outside of that very Thrashy cover, the rest of the album definitely differs in style. It's an entertaining album of it's genre & era, just don't expect Masters Of Puppets here. Sadly, even with the success of "Free", they only released one more album (that no one I knew bothered with) before splitting and reuniting in the 2000's basically for no one in particular. Still, if you were around in the Metal mid-80's, this one will take you back, if you heard it or not.

As for the audio quality of the remaster, yes I gotta admit the volume levels have been brought up a tad too much. The highs are just too high and you'll have to turn your treble down a bit to really enjoy it. The extra track demos aren't as high as the studio ones, but whoever remastered this did go a tad too much. But I have heard worse.

P.S.: The drawing of the guy on the front cover, does he remind you of Max Headroom? Even after 30 years he still does. Wait a minute....does anyone reading this even remember Max Headroom?
Old 10-23-2018, 01:44 AM   #37
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs down RedSabbath Reviews: Halloween (2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb1428 View Post
After seeing the film for a second time today, I love it even more....
I hope that's the case with me when I'm forced to buy the Blu Ray because I own all the others....

Simply put, I saw this last Friday at a midnight showing with a packed house in Atlanta. I was excepting the crowd to get riled-up and thought that might make the film a little more fun than just waiting for home video.

That crowd never made a peep. Not one (till the end).

I thought the movie was a mess. Every five seconds a "redo" of a scene from one of the 10 previous films started to irritate me. The plot seemed so familiar & the grandmother Strode seemed prepared, but pointless when the battle actually began, like I was watching an elderly remake of Home Alone. The final act had me going "Nah, the 'MeToo' movement didn't influence this at all....". And to do the ultimate Horror Sin
[Show spoiler](killing a child)
just made it seem more desperate. Even the replacement doctor & Laurie saying "Oh, you're the new Loomis" had me cringe in my seat. Overall, as a lifelong fan of the Halloween series, and feeling burned over Parts 8 (Busta?), 9 (White Trash?), and 10 (Just Plain Huh?), I was really hoping that this would not make me regret parting ways with $18 dollars. I was wrong.

However, I will give the movie two points: One, they got the mask right. Not since Four really has the mask looked most like what the original 1 & 2 introduced. And Two, regardless of what the actions were on the screen, it always has an "atmospheric" feel to it throughout. Almost as if they were shooting a documentary. That gave it a decent feel, but the story behind that was so disappointing.

And the ending? Yeah, that's when the Atlanta crowd made a comment:

"What, is that it? Told you we should have waited for 'Nobody's Fool'!"
Old 11-06-2018, 03:41 AM   #38
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabbath Reviews: Hallows Eve TOT/DAI

Part of the mid 80's Thrash Metal movement, I ripped these two albums of theirs from their new boxset "History Of Terror" that also includes the third album "Monument" and tons of live & demos. The remastering is top-notch without going volume overboard, but the recording itself on both are true raw, almost as if the music was recorded completely live. This band falls in the "not great, but not terrible" category of Thrash, with catchy Thrashers like "Death And Insanity", "D.I.E. (Death In Effect)", and "Lethal Tendencies". To members of my generation, listening to these again will make the biggest Thrash fan go "Oh yeah, I remember this now...". Makes me think at one point there was a thousand of these bands out there, while time has made us only really remember the "Big 4". Dig back in....
Old 11-07-2018, 01:42 AM   #39
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabbath Reviews: Bohemian Rhapsody/Days Of Our Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiman04 View Post
Have we seen a biography film that is frame by frame accurate? Okay maybe too much, 97% accurate? Any examples?
While I couldn't answer your question, I can provide a great Queen documentary on Blu-Ray on the subject:

Here's what I said about it in September of 2017:

Bought during my recent "Queen" phase, this has to be one of the best band documentaries I've seen in quite awhile. Split into two one hour parts (with an additional hour of doc as extras), this pretty much covers their active years in full album/tour detail, and the first five after Mercury's passing. Professionally made by the BBC back in the late 2000's, the picture and audio (especially the audio) are damn good. A must see for any Queen fan & has videos/behind the scenes too (be careful of the "later year" behind the scenes though, Freddie really didn't look well on video-film hid a lot of it, and Blu Ray exposes it.). Tons of interviews by the band and those that knew them, if you thought you knew a lot of this band, this Blu might surprise you.....

As for the movie, I saw it last Saturday to a 75% filled theatre. I could see people sort of restraining themselves not to tap their feet when certain songs came on. I believe everyone was entertained (unlike Halloween, seen in the same theatre two weeks earlier). After seeing the above doc, the movie did seem to "rearrange" certain facts, but what can you do to tell twenty years in two hours, some stuff has to be changed for the sake of the film. I also think ending on Live Aid, instead of showing Freddie's demise was a tasteful choice. I voted the movie with four stars. Sometimes it seemed a tad "TV-movie-ish", but everybody did their part well. I definitely will add this to my Queen Blu-Ray collection.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:26 AM   #40
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
United Kingdom RedSabbath Reviews: Venom-Metal Black & Hell

What Metalhead doesn't love some Venom? Well, outside of the first classic three or four albums, Venom's career has been spotty outside of that classic 80's era. With a vocal change in the 90's with Cronos (bass/vocals) leaving for a ill-fated solo career and a some-what letdown reunion when he came back, a lot of fans grew out of Venom.

Not me.

Sure, I admit they'll never top Welcome To Hell, Black Metal, and At War With Satan, but you have to give Cronos credit for taking over the name that he once left to keep the Venom Legions going. Above is two back-to-back albums during the late 00's/early 10's where Cronos for the first time lead Venom without guitarist Mantas & drummer Abaddon. The results are okay, if not somewhat repetitive, but a good start for the two excellent albums that followed these (Fallen Angels & From The Very Depths). But they have some good moments to the point I took only the best 15 tracks from both to make one good Venom record for my MP3 library. Also, I'm really looking forward to Venom's NEW album coming out in December, "Storm The Gates". Remember, Metallica did a whole tour opening for these guys back in the day, and to a lot of my generation, if there wasn't for Venom, Thrash Metal wouldn't have happened. So, if you're looking for some heavy music with ole evil lyrics, here's the originators. Think Motorhead meets Slayer. Looking forward to a Black XMas!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Member Personal Pages

Tags
disc, horror, metal, music, sabbath