Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
12 hrs ago
Rubber (Blu-ray)
$6.99
2 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
8 hrs ago
Monster Hunter (Blu-ray)
$19.96
11 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Lovecraft Country: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$26.28
1 hr ago
Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-17-2018, 05:22 AM   #41
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabbath Reviews: AVGN X

Recently Bought/(Just Scratched The Surface Of) Watched:

Huge fan of this guy, James Rolfe, and finally broke down and bought his first compilation of Angry Video Game Nerd. Man, because the first 100 episodes are in un-upconverted SD, if you press PLAY ALL on the main first disc, it plays for over 18 HOURS! That's definitely now my longest Blu Ray to continually play one title. And that's just Disc One! The second disc has a lot of bonuses, and I know it's hours long too.

I want to get the others (there's four so far on Blu), but I won't get the value of this one because the others start with all his HD shorts, but I hear they can reach a length of only 10 hours...boo-hoo, right?

Yeah, you can see these on YouTube for free (I suggest you do if you have no idea who I'm talking about), but having this in one long feature is pretty cool.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:04 AM   #42
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Smile RedSabbath Reviews: Peter Gabriel

Dug into the Peter Gabriel collection to make a "best of the best of's" and ripped his third album "Melt" in it's entirety. Hard to believe he was able to make a big career after Genesis, but he did do some unique music that really doesn't sound like his former band (Phil did.). Melt is probably his best album of his classic years (The album So, his biggest, was a different era), no surprise that Phil Collins plays drums on Melt to make one great flowing record. But to me, unlike Phil, I enjoy his solo work a little more than his time in Genesis. I also own "Security" and a strange release of the best of his first two albums, but outside of a track or two, not much to pull there. Interesting stuff.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:44 PM   #43
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Buy.com RedSabbath Reflects: Black Friday 2018

Went to the local WalMart around Midnight last night after work to see if any scraps were left. It's funny, I just recently went over 1100 Blu-Rays and now I see less and less of what I want because...well, I already have it!

Anyway, I found one copy of the Blu Ray of Ready Player One for $8.96 and figured that I didn't have it so, okay. The F&F8 ($5.96) was just a buy on the fact that last Black Friday from Amazon I bought the "light-up" box-set of 1-7. As I went to the cashier, I noticed shopping carts full of items that were turned down at the last second by customers. Through digging, I found a copy of RPOne 4K with additional Blu-Ray inside. It's price: $8.96! Same price? Whatever, put down the BD only and got the 4K.

That makes my third 4K purchase without a player! One day...then I can start re-collecting all over again! (No freakin' way!)
Old 11-28-2018, 02:00 AM   #44
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Lightbulb RedSabbath's Picks For Shows Not Yet On Blu-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent 97 View Post
What TV Shows that aren't on Blu-ray would you buy if they were?.....
Well, my signature states a few, but definitely here's my Top Five...

01) Gilligan's Island: Yes, the first season is in black & white, colorized in the 90's (I think), but Seasons Two and Three have that "Star Trek-ish" Technicolor that just bleeds out of your TV set. Not to mention the show is still funny. Bonus points for including the three television sequels as well as the original pilot.

02) Star Trek DS9 & Voyager: To me, Star Trek died at the end of Voyager. Once Enterprise came around, it screwed with the timeline and never fully recovered. But TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, and VOY took place in the same universe, with everything that happened before still existing. Yes, TOS & TNG (even TAS?!!?) got incredible Blu Ray upgrades, but then they skipped to Enterprise & now even Discovery! Why leave out DS9 and Voyager?!!? When BBC America plays re-runs of Voyager I still stay tuned and the upconverted SD would even be welcome on disc. DS9 is an incredibly dark/moody series I can see sort of skipping TV rerun-wise, but it was the most "real". Paramount loves beating a dead horse (TOS has been re-released on Blu at least four times already), why not dig back in the vaults?

03) Saturday Night Live: Remember when there was so many SNL DVD's that it would be impossible to collect them all? Then by the early 2000's, it was over and NO SNL has ever been released on Blu? What, a "Best Of XMas" wouldn't sell a fortune, yet NBC will create a new one just for broadcast? I love the history of SNL, and there's so many documentaries as well as host specials that are already made (a lot already in HD), but not at your local WalMart. Gimme something on Blu, NBC!

04) Beavis & Butthead: The Original Series: Yeah, the reboot (in 4X3 nonetheless) from 2011 has it's own Blu-Ray, but what about the original seven seasons that were actually fresh? Or even the movie? I got tons of South Park/Simpsons Blu rays, but no B&B? And while I'm here, what's the deal with Family Guy? Yeah, the three Star Wars parodies are on Blu, but not ONE regular season is? Hell, new HD seasons are still being released on DVD? Why?

05) Two And A Half Men (Or Any Successful Comedy From The HD era just on DVD): We get every single season of The Big Bang Theory on Blu, but no Charlie Sheen? There's a lot of great shows currently on air that still has DVD releases though they're made and broadcast in HD. Another thing that gets me is like Metalocalypse where it started in SD with DVD's then went to HD with Blu Rays, but they don't go back and release the seasons that were on DVD only on Blu? At the very least, they should release holiday themed or best-of's on Blu of shows like "Two".

Maybe they think that streaming is cheaper and people won't want to buy something that's on TV already. But I say that's crap, because the next time you're at a Best Buy, look at all the people in that section grazing over all the titles, including the ones in "TV On Disc". It's a missed opportunity. Thanks for reading.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:54 AM   #45
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up Hey, That Guy Is Back!

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been around much lately. My job sorta "banned" the site & now I only can see it without most of the pictures (?). Anyway, been MP3'ing like crazy over the past three months and have got up to about 2800 tracks ripped for car use (on top of my 2500 I did in the 00's). I guess the latest albums I've done were:

Need to get an audio editing program because most of these are a tad too low for my tastes. But I found a website called "MP3 Louder" that will adjust online that's sorta convenient, but you have to do one track at a time.

Anyway, thought I'd stop by. Later.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:37 AM   #46
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Smile RedSabbath Returns (Yet Again)

Hi guys, been awhile. Anyway, been still on the quest to complete my USB drive of my collection (up to 7100 tracks at this point). It amazes me that some of the stuff I'm ripping is almost 35 years old! I don't mean the music itself, but the actual CD's themselves are that old. And with a bit of volume raising, they sound as good as new. Here's some latest:

Carnage, a no name early Death Metal band that recorded one album and done. Later these guys would either start or join Carcass, Dismember, and Arch Enemy. Ripped mostly for the well-produced sound. Think Death meets Morbid Angel...

Napalm Death's third release, and the final one with the original line-up. The start of their journey from Grindcore to Death Metal. Well done.

Talk about a change from the first two....bought this EJ best-of ages ago, but only realized just how amazing the remastering is on this. Pretty good song-list too. Saw the movie too...not bad but a little too much on the fantasy segments.

Man, the remastering on this 2CD set is incredible. Buying this gets you all of Best-Of's Volume 1 & 2 plus about ten others! I skipped this alot, but glad I got it. Not much missing on this one.

Anyway, where's all my Metalheads at?!!?
Old 12-18-2019, 01:00 AM   #47
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
United Kingdom RedSabbath Suggests: Union Square Metal Comps

I've been wanting to mention these for awhile now. Recently I saw one of these generic-looking best-of compilations at the used CD store & was just about to pass it up until I looked at the back. From what I can tell, these comps feature artists from either the 1980's Noise Music roster or the 90's-2000's Sanctuary Music. Each feature about 35-40 tracks usually under $10 dollars each. What got me was the audio quality of these, while I wouldn't say every track was remastered (alot had to be), they definitely have been brought to today's specs and equal volume. And man, if you had to think about the second underground wave of either Metal or Thrash, these cover it.

Bands like Grave Digger, Exciter, Prong, Coroner, Blitzkrieg, Kreator, Venom, Voivod, Helloween, Anvil, Raven, Samson, W.A.S.P., Queensryche, Sabbat, Angel Witch, Motorhead, Kamelot, Atomkraft, Sweet Savage, Tygers Of Pan Tang, Tokyo Blade, Running Wild, Virgin Steele....and I'm only scratching the surface here!

Anyway, like maybe me, you heard these bands but either only had these on cassette/vinyl, or never found them, and these comps are great for any Metal collection. The new label for them is Union Square/Metro Select, and they did an excellent job. I eventually bought most of them, and really like listening to them in my car with no adjustments needed (each were release between 2016-2018). Great way to re-discover the Metal bands that were always underground. Just a suggestion, check them out!
Old 01-09-2020, 12:44 AM   #48
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Angry RedSabbath Reflects: Disco Volante

For decades, when asked "What are your three most disappointing albums you've ever heard?", this one, Mr. Bungle's Disco Volante, was always on that list. After the masterpiece that was their self-titled 1990 album, five years later they released an avant-garde, mid-60's sounding, soundtrack to a nightmare. Where the first had actual songs in between the madness, this one was mostly instrumental, if you could call them instruments at this point, with only two songs with actual real word vocals. I've tried every decade to revisit this, especially since as the years have gone by I see more and more people discover it with actual praise, it still throws me off as a huge mistake on their, and mastermind Mike Patton's, plate. Now granted, the first album really is only a best-of collection of the songs they did on their three or four demos they released before getting signed due to Patton's explosion in Faith No More, but Volante was almost like telling all those fans, both old & new, to go f*** themselves.

Last night I found the CD again and said "okay, you're going on the drive and I'm gonna give you another chance". Now that both Bungle & FNM are really no more, I sort of, I said sort of, get it now. It takes experimental to a whole new level, and maybe even was made to be "not of this time". It still isn't time, but it does have a strange "movie-soundtrack from Hell" vibe. If only there were more actual songs on it, not like how it is like as if they were tuning up for 70 minutes.

It's still on my most disappointing list, but it has to take credit for being the biggest chance album of the mid-90's ever. Strangely, both Patton & bassist Dunn have released solo albums like this afterward, but again, no one came to those carnivals either. Listen to if you dare.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:52 AM   #49
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
USA RedSabbath Reflects: Two From The 00's

Let's travel back to the late 90's/early 00's, shall we.....

Trying to get the soundtrack of my life on my little USB, here's two bands fron that era that I actually enjoy.

Regardless of what you remember, Creed had some of the heaviest riffs on radio at the time. Tell me the riff mid-way through "What If" doesn't get you going a little. Those first three albums are powerhouses. Yes, each have that sappy ballad that helped sell each in the millions, but the guitar of Tremonti saves this band from the rest. It's funny, I don't know if it was Stapp's mental meltdowns afterwards, but this band gets alot of hate recently, especially over his vocals.....

....but I look at it like if you didn't make an impression to begin with, you just weren't that good. Shame how apart they didn't really go too far (Alterbridge just isn't the same).

Puddle Of Mudd always intrigued me. It's almost like Kurt Cobain came back from the grave and started a new band. Wes Scantlin sounds like him, plays guitar like him, and the songs are even structured like his. Some of those tracks really hit home for me, regardless how many times they were played on radio. Anyone still remember radio??? Revisiting them reminded me that just because you were on there, it didn't mean you sucked.

Honestly though, not many bands of that era grab me like these two. No opinion on Shinedown, Nickelback (why all the hate?), 3 Doors Down, and others. But these two deserve space on my drive. Those memes are a little funny though.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:51 AM   #50
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
United Kingdom RedSabbath's The Wall

Concerning "The Wall":

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTastyChili View Post
Musically fantastic. One of my favorite albums as a young teen. Some of the lyrics didn't age well with me though, and I'm talking about the excess self-pity, not the clearly satirical bigotry of "In the Flesh".

David Gilmour makes that album, man. He's definitely in top-tier form on that record. The movie's cool too, needs a Blu-ray release.
I dunno, I think what you call "self-pity" actually makes more sense now than it did in 1979. And I don't think Pink's character is actually in "pity", but breaking down due to the excess. Like the old saying goes, "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it". The Wall shows many outcomes of fame, and how you can lose control once you get it.

As for it's "bigotry".....sigh, I'm sorry but we can't go back in a time-machine and change the past. It was what it was, and just showed what was world was like back then for those who abused it. "In The Flesh" also showed what Waters himself was feeling at the time: I worked my entire life to entertain you and now I've become your puppet, screaming at me to dance. Granted, that song's lyrics go a bit too far, but how else could he explain his alienation he felt he was going through at the time. Believe or not, there was a point in musical history where people actually went to a concert to hear the songs, not just to get high and scream their heads off. The Wall is a masterpiece in the evils of fame. And probably the most honest explanation of it.

As for Gilmour......how do I say this.....by The Wall, that man was beyond stifled. Yes, he has some good guitar parts here and there, and his vocals, be them sparingly, shine well, but let's get real, The Wall is Roger Waters moment, plain and simple. Yes, he also wrote Dark Side too, but at that point in Floyd-history, they were still a band and Gilmour performed most of the vocals. With that leveling out the playfield, that album showed it really was a band effort, The Wall just was not.

By "The Final Cut", with what ended up on that album, to say Waters didn't become the character he created in The Wall, would make one just blind. It's no wonder that when Gilmour finally had the chance to take over when Roger thought he could leave the band and it just would stop (stupid, stupid thought Rog), he finally would get his chance to be his own "Pink", and was for the next decade with his version of Floyd.

Anyway, I agree "The Wall" is a great album, but a better "Pink Floyd" album would be "Wish You Were Here", where all four members seem to work as one. When I hear The Wall, all I think is Roger.

Or maybe I'm just tired from working all day, I dunno.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:28 AM   #51
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Smile A Tribute To RedSabbath

Quote:
I was defending it. I understood its place, wasn't saying it should be changed at all....
Yeah, maybe I was a bit too harsh with that post. Sorry about that.

Let's change the subject, anybody here like Tribute Albums???

I've always have had a soft spot for Tribute albums through the years with most collected being the music of Black Sabbath. The way I see it, if I like a song, regardless of band, I wouldn't mind hearing other interpretations of it, especially if they were by artists of the same caliber and genre. These above three are pretty much that. I remember back in the 00's that these were coming up alot, but featured line-up's of former rock-stars of say the 80's. Y'know, featuring members of Ratt, Dokken, Motley Crue, Styx, Dio, Yes, Whitesnake, Ozzy, and the like. Now, each will have tracks that are hit-and-miss, but sometimes you can really enjoy them, be it never to replace the original, but a reminder of how good the song, or band, is no matter what.

In fact, my earlier Floyd Wall post, inspired me to dig up this note-by-note remake for the USB Drive late last night. Interesting take on the album as a whole (Clockwork Orange's Malcolm McDowell on lead vocals on "The Trial"...and it works?!!?), but it's the varying members that switch track by track which makes these quite the listen.

Does anyone else have a fav Tribute Album?
Old 02-15-2020, 03:48 AM   #52
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabbath Hails Black Sabbath

Today marks the 50th Anniversary of the release of Black Sabbath's first, beyond classic, genre defining, self-titled album. Could any of us imagine what the Metal landscape could be without this beginning? Sure, Led Zeppelin was already out before this, but now 50 years later we could of said the heaviest band out there was Cinderella. Without the start with this classic, kiss your Metallica's, Slayer's, and pretty much any band with a pair goodbye. Hell, you'd never even meet them! I'm a little surprised no one else mentioned this around here, so if you're reading this, play some Sabb now!
Old 03-18-2020, 04:36 AM   #53
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Unhappy Another Thrasher Gone...But Not Forgotten

Sadly another thrasher who gave me entertainment for over 35 years has left us, Sacred Reich's guitarist Jason Rainey passed away Monday.

Sacred Reich was one of the first second-tier Thrash bands after "The Big Four" I was into. In fact just recently I mentioned their second full length album "The American Way" and how it was featured in the movie "Encino Man". Great band that covered all styles of late 80's/90's Metal. Sadly, when Sacred Reich came out with their 2019 comeback album Awakening, he wasn't a part of it due to health issues at the time, which may have led to his heart attack. I got to see them live on the Surf Nicaragua tour way back when, and still enjoy their music to this day.

I guess I'll play when I get in my car "Jason's Idea" off of their album "Heal"

A funny throw away track that features him discussing an idea for the album...and he wasn't even the lead singer. R.I.P.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:10 PM   #54
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Cool RedSabbath Responds (Young'uns Read This)

Quote:
I love all the bonus tracks, but I wish they wouldn't master the damn things so loud nowadays....
I will admit that these Death remasters are a tad, just a tad, on the high side. But I had the original CD's of SBG and Leprosy, and listening to both back-to-back in my car, I prefer the slightly "too" louder ones. More power and believe it or not, clarity. I do own a few remastered Metal albums that do go too far "i.e. Heathen: Breaking The Silence", but most do more good than harm.

By the way, there's three "instrumental" tracks on Spiritual Healing that really isn't, in fact they're more an isolated drum track, and Billy Andrews sounds incredible when you hear just him on these. A Must Listen.

Quote:
...I think it's amusing that the entire thread is a bunch of old metal dudes. Makes me laugh.....
Well, when you think of it, this site is mainly for people who own and regularly collect tangible media, aka CD/DVD/BluRay, where the younger generation will stream & forget. Since they don't own anything, they really don't have a use for the site. With us "old-folks", some of us have been collectioning little silver discs for up to 35 years! Hence, we'd normally be the ones to need & use the site regularly to keep a list online of what we own. BluRay.com covers us in that department.

Quote:
...I guess we're the most faithful and passionate music fans the world has to offer.
I'd definitely say so. It takes a real fan to get up, go to the store, search for something, and then buy it with earned money to possibly own it for a lifetime. With downloaders & streamers, it's more like "once is enough, on to the next thing". Doesn't sound like too much of a fan now, does it?

Thanks for reading, and supporting music & film...no matter what genre!
Old 05-21-2020, 01:38 AM   #55
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Exclamation RedSabbath Suggests: Glenn Hughes "Justified Man"

So I bought this mini-boxset of Glenn Hughes' called "Justified Man" which features six of his solo albums around the 2000's. Quick way to get a majority of someones work, but those little cardboard "LP-replica" sleeves make getting discs out a pain. Still, each album was recently remastered, and came with whatever import extra track that overseas got. Not bad for $30 bucks.

I played this one first "Addiction". First, is it just me or does he looks like George Michael on the cover? Anyway, this is Hughes' "dark" album, but the mix of funk and rock is still there. Quite enjoyable, and fits his pattern nicely. Something about him......he should have been in the tier of Ozzy, Dio, Plant, Gillan, Coverdale and such, but he really isn't that well known. His vocals are amazing, some call him "The Voice Of Rock".....God can he soar, but he never really gets mentioned (?).

Also funny, alot of interviews with him, he always mentions he was in Deep Purple. Alot. But let's be honest, it's the Mark II Gillan/Glover "Smoke On The Water" Purple most remember, and even when he was in the band, he shared, not evenly mind you, vocal duties with David Coverdale. Come to think of it, when Whitesnake was huge, I don't remember Coverdale ever mentioning Purple, like it was a lark. But not to Glenn.

Anyway, I like Glenn. I first heard him in 1986 as the singer for "Seventh Star", yes he is officially a family member of Black Sabbath, then followed him with Iommi's two other solo projects, especially "Fused" (highly recommended!). Now I'm checking out his solo work. The funk rock works now more than it did in his first band Trapeze (dated), and if you would like that style without it sounding like it was coming from bufoons (see RHCP), he's the guy.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:12 AM   #56
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Wink RedOsbourne And The Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalThrasher View Post
Did you know that the 2002 version of this classic, the one with the extra track of "One Up The "B" Side", has been not only remastered, but remixed as well? Don't think of it like those horrible "Blizzard/Diary" ones where the original bass and drums were taken off replaced by newer members, but this new mix was done at the same time. Not that anything was re-recorded for "Bark", but certain keyboard parts were removed, and believe it or not, a couple of intro guitar parts were taken off too. I know, sounds horrible, but it is an interesting listen compared to the original, and one of my favorite tracks, "You're No Different" is almost a whole minute longer on it! Won't replace the original (I have both versions in my car), but all fans of this album should hear it at least once, you might really like it.

Okay, quick story: I have all five of the Mac's Buckingham/Nicks classics, but when I started my drive I decided to make one album of just Stevie's lead vocal songs. What surprised me is just how little she has, despite most of them being remembered the most as classics. Recently I made a 30 song comp of the rest, with just Christine or Lindsey on lead. Lets face it, these two ruled the roost on number of tracks compared to Stevie, like as if she was the George Harrison of the Mac. But I'd listen to "Something" over "Can't Buy Me Love" any day. No wonder she went solo & got just as popular. Quality over quantity.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:54 AM   #57
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Thumbs up RedSabbath Suggests: The Essential Rob Halford

What a pleasant surprise! Didn't even know this even was out, this 2 disc/30 song set from 2015 showcases about five or six of Rob Halford's solo career albums, from 1993's Fight debut to around 2010's latest by Halford. And talk about a remaster job, I never heard those mid-90 Fight songs sound as good as this, ever! Though I really never paid too much attention to Rob's time out of Priest (though I did listen to Fight's War Of Words when it was fresh), I missed out because this is one cool body of solo work, even on the level of Priest themselves. I didn't realize till listening to this that basically when Rob left Priest after Painkiller, he immediately continued in that vein. I mean, alot of this work reminds me of Painkiller, and that's not a bad thing. This 30 track CD also follows two good points: 1) let's try to forget about Rob's experimental industrial phase "2wo" as much as possible by only putting one track from it here (smart....), and 2) let's get some Priest material on here from a live Halford solo album that sounds and performed really good. Yup, both covered. Even though he's been back in Priest for awhile now, this material shouldn't be forgotten and it's this set that's worth the revisit. Definitely fits in any Priest fan's collection, highly recommended!
Old 07-16-2020, 12:38 AM   #58
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
United Kingdom RedSabbath Reflects: Black Sabbath Dehumanizer

Sometimes I forget just how kick-ass this album is. Y'know, a little while back (maybe ten years ago shortly before he died), I read that when Dio got back with Tony & Geez for this, that for him it wasn't a great time. That the frustration and angst from the first split started to creep back quickly once they entered the studio for this. I can hear that here in Dio's voice. He does sound a little uncomfortable on this (and it carry's greatly on Dio's excellent follow-up "Strange Highways"), but I think it created probably something Sabbath never really had before, an angry album. Sure we had evil, scary, atmospheric, and fantasy, but never angry. Listen to Ronnie on "Buried Alive" and "I", he really does sound like he's about to "smash your face in, but with a smile". Shame he'd get even angrier to be pushed aside for Ozzy...again, shortly after.

The reunion of "Heaven And Hell", and the album "The Devil You Know" was good, but not Dehumanizer great. Shame they couldn't do a follow-up due to Ronnie's passing. I think that would have been the ultimate Sabb II moment.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:03 AM   #59
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Cool RedSabbath Knows His Sabbath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister_M View Post
You meant Tony Martin there right? Cross Purposes was actually good,
whatever Geezer may have to say about it, Forbidden on the other hand....
Well no actually, when Sabbath decided to open up for Ozzy for those two "retirement" shows and Dio would not do it. Yes, it was beneath Dio to let "his" Sabbath open up for Ozzy, then after Ozzy's set, the "original" Sabbath would play just four songs. Gimme a break, that was NOT worth it to lose Dio again, but I bet he woulda left before a second Dehuman album anyway.

Cross Purposes. Yes, I too love that album. By far the best Martin album they ever put out. And as you said, sadly when asked, Geezer calls it one word, "Sh*t", but it's not. Great tunes, and even got a live album from that tour. Strangely though, when listening to Purposes, you can't help to think that most of the material was written originally with either Dio or Ozzy in mind. "I Witness" & "Cross Of Thorns" definitely sounds like it could have been a Dio classic, while say "Virtual Death" & "Psychophobia" sounds like it was Ozzy tailored. But Iommi did the next best thing, he brought back Martin. Could you imagine how bad it would have hurt the Sabbath name further if they brought yet another singer at that point?

And remember, the Dio-Sabbath did open for Ozzy on those two shows. The singer: Rob Halford. And while the Metal God is highly respected, he did not do that songlist a huge favor at the time.

Man, I could talk Sabbath all day.....oh and Forbidden......some good songs/alot of terrible mix.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:04 AM   #60
Special Member

Jun 2012
Atlanta, GA
Exclamation RedMartin Years: Release Them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister_M View Post
It's a shame the Cross Purposes Live release is so hard to find now - I do have a dodgy DVD (very bootleggy) with only 9 of the 16 songs from the VHS, but they really need to do an official DVD. Maybe if they actually do get around to reissuing the Martin albums, that could be bundled with Cross Purposes.
Yeah, I remember what you got on DVD, which actually was commercially released, poorly but it wasn't a bootleg (edited so it could fit on a single-layer DVD...cheap bastards!). I actually do own a bootleg DVD with the entire VHS presentation on it with menus and such, but still, that performance deserves better.

I actually bought the box-set with VHS/CD soundtrack when it came out and I wish I bought two. The CD of the show is excellent, it is missing three tracks, cut for time/space on the CD (The Mob Rules, Neon Knights, & Anno Mundi), but even without them that CD is great & well edited.

Iommi has stated about a year or two ago, that he's planning to remix & re-release Forbidden, which is a good start, but with things being reissued so much lately, they should have completed the Martin Years, well, years ago. And still to this day, nothing. There's NO reason those five albums should be forgotten like this. Shame.

Note: The Eternal Idol is the only Martin Sabbath album that has been re-released. And that reason is because it was on Vertigo/Warner Brothers. Still lost are Headless Cross, TYR, Cross Purposes, CPLive, and Forbidden.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Member Personal Pages

Tags
disc, horror, metal, music, sabbath