Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.96

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.13
1 day ago
Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.02

Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.72

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Sony Pictures 2018 Sony z9f is 2D only

Sony announces z9f for fall 2018 will NOT have 3d. Even though not an oled and active, its predecessor was the last consumer 3d tv on the market that you can actually find that had a very good 3d picture.

With the discontinuing of the z9d the last 3d man standing is officially gone.

4 z9d 65 inch tvs left at Amazon for $3k(Unfortunately $7k for the 77inch) Better get one fast if you need a 3d backup or want a 3d tv for the future and don't have one and don't want a used mess.

After those go and those in the pipeline go, there will be NO MORE.

ps yes I know there are still 3d projectors.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Sony announces z9f for fall 2018 will NOT have 3d. Even though not an oled and active, its predecessor was the last consumer 3d tv on the market that you can actually find that had a very good 3d picture.

With the discontinuing of the z9d the last 3d man standing is officially gone.

4 z9d 65 inch tvs left at Amazon for $3k(Unfortunately $7k for the 77inch) Better get one fast if you need a 3d backup or want a 3d tv for the future and don't have one and don't want a used mess.

After those go and those in the pipeline go, there will be NO MORE.

ps yes I know there are still 3d projectors.

Hi wild Bill,

How we doing my buddy? Don't be so gloom. As old Brooklyn dodger fans said, "wait till next year". It's my hope one or two will pick up the slack when they feel the tide is turning for our replacement sets and this exclusivity would throw additional sales their way.

A new generation might want 3D too.

As Judy Collins said "who knows where the wind blows".
Thanks given by:
DarrinG (08-03-2018), wildbill722 (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

I hope you are right Joe. I just hate to see what is happening. I really thought 3d had gone mainstream and could not be lost.

For you and me it is no big deal, but I really do feel bad for those who never got to see what we see every day. When friends come over that I haven't seen in a while and show them 3d they are always shocked and the first thing they say is "I got get one of these."

I no longer tell them they better hurry. I just say, "yes you should." A few even call me back and say they are having a hard time finding one, and where can they find one. Then I have to give them the bad news. And then there is just silence.

I believe my mission is as accomplished as I can make it. I have told everyone I know to get 3ded or be without. Time to put it to bed and move on. For us, 3d will never die. For them it was never born. What a shame.

Thanks for the upbeat words, Joe. You are a good guy. Bill
Thanks given by:
ckyllr (08-06-2018), TheScottyLee (08-02-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

Yep.

I've kept my eye on a possible follow up to the Z9D ever since the rumors started. And ever since then I had kept the faith that somehow it would still have 3D. That illusion was officially squashed yesterday.

Too bad, as I think Sony would be able to sell more had it truly been the last 3D TV on the market (for as long as the rumored glasses free 3D tech is introduced).
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 11:52 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

That was already expected that's why I pulled the trigger and bought a Z9D last may. I am not interested in glasses free 3D until they show us evidence that its possible to have pop out effects. I am still holding on to my 65 inch mitsu dlp for 3D backup.
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 12:20 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013

Was watching YouTube videos and these TVs they are still only 10 Bit.

HDMI is still only 2.0, which is a real disappointment to some online.

Sounds like the 2016 3D model is a much better value.

Didn't someone just buy '2016' 3D model and it had a 2018 build date?
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 01:03 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
I hope you are right Joe. I just hate to see what is happening. I really thought 3d had gone mainstream and could not be lost.

For you and me it is no big deal, but I really do feel bad for those who never got to see what we see every day. When friends come over that I haven't seen in a while and show them 3d they are always shocked and the first thing they say is "I got get one of these."

I no longer tell them they better hurry. I just say, "yes you should." A few even call me back and say they are having a hard time finding one, and where can they find one. Then I have to give them the bad news. And then there is just silence.

I believe my mission is as accomplished as I can make it. I have told everyone I know to get 3ded or be without. Time to put it to bed and move on. For us, 3d will never die. For them it was never born. What a shame.

Thanks for the upbeat words, Joe. You are a good guy. Bill
Hi Bill,

I didn't think it would go mainstream but did feel it would get a loyal following, which I think there is and could certainly grow.

So I share your feelings. Would love to expose people to home 3D and then let them come to their own decisions. Would not expect anybody to junk a nice working set just for 3D but when next in the market for a new one, 3D could be on the list for many. That was how it was basically for me.

Fortunately there were models still out in early 2015. For others, due to the industry for whatever reasons they saw fit, then comes the downside, seeing they would have to search to find one brand new, even though an older model.

It's addictive. I've bought movies I never would have enjoyed otherwise. Got that 3D video Wizard to convert my den set to anaglyth 3D (exceeded my expectations) and even did something I thought would never do - paid sixty dollars to get that impossible to find region A Detective Dee Rise of the Sea Dragon that I was heartbroken over when the first was a defective Detective.

You're a great guy Wild Bill, and I'm still waiting for you to finish writing that life story of yours!
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
Special Member

Jul 2009

I wrote Sony about this a while ago, but my letter got marked Return to Sender (I sent it to their US headquarters in New York.) They're impossible to reach!
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

Sony 3D with active glasses means you have a lot of ghosting to deal with. I considered getting the 75Z9 set but after quizing owners, I decided not to due to how bad ghosting is on those sets. For me, ghosting is too distractive to ignore. I have a 65E6 but have always wanted something larger. I'll just wait and hope 3D gets resurrected yet again.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
Sony 3D with active glasses means you have a lot of ghosting to deal with. I considered getting the 75Z9 set but after quizing owners, I decided not to due to how bad ghosting is on those sets. For me, ghosting is too distractive to ignore. I have a 65E6 but have always wanted something larger. I'll just wait and hope 3D gets resurrected yet again.
The 75Z9D does exhibit cosstalk from time to time but it's not that bad, at least not on my set.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
The 75Z9D does exhibit cosstalk from time to time but it's not that bad, at least not on my set.
Not on mine either but truth be told a little calibration is needed to achieve almost no ghosting.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Hi jbug,

Not with my 800B. Did so at the beginning but calibrating it properly eliminated most all ghosting and shimmering - even on discs noted for crosstalk problems which can pop up on some sets there is so little that it does not distract.

There are so many user adjustments to work with on the Sony's that it takes a lot of patience getting the proper blend. Changing even a noise filter could have a subtle effect on depth. Even found certain auto settings were not preferable.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi jbug,

Not with my 800B. Did so at the beginning but calibrating it properly eliminated most all ghosting and shimmering - even on discs noted for crosstalk problems which can pop up on some sets there is so little that it does not distract.

There are so many user adjustments to work with on the Sony's that it takes a lot of patience getting the proper blend. Changing even a noise filter could have a subtle effect on depth. Even found certain auto settings were not preferable.
I've heard that ghosting is a TV problem and not the disc. I had the high end 75" Sony set that came out the year before the Z9. No amount of adjustments could get rid of the ghosting. Sony sets with active glasses were prone to ghosting. They had a previous set that used passive glasses to much greater effect.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
I've heard that ghosting is a TV problem and not the disc. I had the high end 75" Sony set that came out the year before the Z9. No amount of adjustments could get rid of the ghosting. Sony sets with active glasses were prone to ghosting. They had a previous set that used passive glasses to much greater effect.
Hi jbug,

Actually in it's reviews this site often notes ghosting pertaining to specific discs which will show up to a certain degree depending on the set. Here's one which I can attest to, owning it myself.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Grand...Blu-ray/13544/
Old 08-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #15

Jul 2017
england

Bloody fools
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (08-04-2018), wildbill722 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 07:11 AM   #16
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default Black Friday

Any thoughts on whether the price on Black Friday of 75 z9d will go lower or higher than $7k price right now?

I am going to predict a higher price, if even available. Say $9k. Can't be many left out there.

If, on the other hand, they hit $5k, I am going to have to get one. I understand the crosstalk to be very minimal and the 3d excellent.
Thanks given by:
BLMN (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Any thoughts on whether the price on Black Friday of 75 z9d will go lower or higher than $7k price right now?

I am going to predict a higher price, if even available. Say $9k. Can't be many left out there.

If, on the other hand, they hit $5k, I am going to have to get one. I understand the crosstalk to be very minimal and the 3d excellent.
Go check at avs forum, some folks found some good deals now for the 75 one, but its becoming harder and harder to find (stock is almost done). maybe the 65 one but not a guarantee either.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #18

Jan 2017

Back in 2016/2017 I bought the 65" 65c6p oled and 86" 86uh9500 ledlcd passive 3d tvs. I was hoping to upgrade in 2019 to a newer, brighter, better hdr, better 3d tv in the 80-85" size. It's a shame that the 2016 tvs are still the best 3d options.

I know it's a slim chance, but I'm still praying that LG decides to bring back 3d on one of its 2019 OLED models in the 75"+ size. I would surely splurge for an upgrade if that happens.

Many of the 2017/2018 3d movie releases look amazing.. such as the the marvel films, ghost in the shell, ready player one, etc.
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (08-11-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #19

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oled3D>4kBD>2kBD View Post
I know it's a slim chance, but I'm still praying that LG decides to bring back 3d on one of its 2019 OLED models in the 75"+ size. I would surely splurge for an upgrade if that happens.
I am a man of faith as well, so prayer is good.

However, sending a regular, old-fashioned letter (not an e-mail) to LG is also highly recommended.
And yes, I did write a letter asking for consideration of re-adding 3D to their top of the line models.

I want an upgrade path from my current 3D HDTV set.
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (08-10-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors