Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Rubber (Blu-ray)
$6.99
17 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
7 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
2 hrs ago
High School of the Dead: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$38.99
5 hrs ago
Monster Hunter (Blu-ray)
$19.96
1 day ago
Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 08-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
Default Is Blu-Ray Becoming the Last Chance for Certain Kinds of Movies?

I was looking at DVD Beaver at the new review for Genghis Kahn and the Hammer "Orientalist" movies (Stranglers of Bombay, Terror of the Tonga, etc) and I suddenly wondered if this may be the last we see of films like this. British actors like Christopher Lee and Robert Morley in unconvincing Asian drag playing villains isn't the sort of thing that goes over well with people any more. And neither does sexualized violence against women, but Giallo and Italian cannibal movies all seem to be coming out lately too. It may be that distributors think that this is their last chance to release these films.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but scanning through the latest releases at DVD Beaver, there does seem to be a particular skew to the types of back catalog films that get released to blu-ray and the ones that don't... Lots of 80s horror, lots of widescreen, lots of costume epics, lots of martial arts, lots of 50s and 60s low budget sci fi...

Does anyone else have any thoughts about what makes the demographic for blu-ray unique as opposed to streaming services, DVD or broadcast TV?
Old 08-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Backed up: 53.57 TBs

Yes. I said this back when UHD was announced. Some films will never see more than 2K DI. Some films will never be popular enough to warrant a BD and UHD release. Then you have the ones that were shot on something that has such low resolution that it barely looks good on BD let alone UHD. However, there are still plenty of VHS and DVD titles that have never seen the light of the day on BD and some of those probably never will unfortunately.
Thanks given by:
rui no onna (09-15-2019), Wendell R. Breland (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 06:45 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

What genres do you see blu-ray focusing on right now and why do you think that is? I'm curious how the selection of titles is made to suit the demographic. Offhand, to me the demographic seems overwhelmingly male, age around 50 with a taste for movies with a lot of art direction.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in musicals, animation, 70s and 80s drama or recent teenage/kids movies or comedies.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Backed up: 53.57 TBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
What genres do you see blu-ray focusing on right now and why do you think that is? I'm curious how the selection of titles is made to suit the demographic. Offhand, to me the demographic seems overwhelmingly male, age around 50 with a taste for movies with a lot of art direction.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in musicals, animation, 70s and 80s drama or recent teenage/kids movies or comedies.
I don't think BD is focusing on certain genres. Rather, I think certain companies are tapping into popular niches, i.e. Olive with film/noir and western, Shout with horror, etc.

Well, to be honest many musicals are just copies of the handful of popular ones. Animation is well represented IMHO. Just look at Disney and Universal for that. I think there's this mentality with the studios that younger folks are getting away from discs so that would explain comedies and teenage/kids movies. I think 70s and 80s drama you could chalk up to lack of demand and/or condition of the sources involved.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

UHD is already starting to get some surprising titles that I wouldn't have guessed, but for the most part yes - blu-ray is going to be the last stop for ALOT of titles.

I severely doubt anything recently done with 2K scan will be getting a UHD anytime soon, so when Criterion or WAC or Arrow release something that is from a new 2K scan, I feel pretty confident a UHD isn't even remotely on the horizon. Of course anything can happen after 5 or 10 years, but at least not right around the corner - whereas when I see something is from a brand new 4K scan or remaster, in the back of my mind I almost assume a UHD is inevitable. I actually have been trying to stay away from some of those on the blu-ray format (especially from the major studios) to try and avoid double dips (though I couldn't resist picking up the Criterion of Silence of the Lambs, I feel like a UHD of this is probably inevitable, albeit perhaps not a Criterion UHD).
Old 08-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Power Member

May 2013
upstate NY

Quote:

blu-ray and UHD focus on what will reasonably sell, plain and simple. you also have to have film elements in good enough shape to make doing a high def transfer that is worth looking at (though some companies care less about that than others). this is why for instance you won't see the majority of 70s kung fu titles for instance. the film elements for many of those no longer exist or are in really rough shape. keep in mind that high def is still a bit of a hard sell to joe average who may already have the dvd and can't see a reason to buy the movie again.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:26 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2017
Cow Country

You're not going to see things like The Muppet Show on UHD (not even blu-ray; we can't even get the rest of the DVDs).

Assume for once that Disney gives a crap about putting catalog titles out there. Jim Henson liked to use the technology of the time to manipulate what we could see into preserving the illusion that Kermit was riding a bicycle. That's why depending on how good your TV is, you can see the fishing wire on The Muppet Movie blu-ray. Just like some early sci-fi shows, (even TNG) these things aren't meant for the high scrutiny film screen. Later puppets were constructed to higher standards and had more hidden seams, but even Muppets Take Manhattan (the last Henson film) looks a little rough in HD. This is why I'm probably not going to buy Fraggle Rock's BD set; I'm content with the DVDs. The Fraggles are not made like Yoda or a film Kermit. Enterprise D was blown to pieces for a reason.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #8

Jul 2018

Quote:
British actors like Christopher Lee and Robert Morley in unconvincing Asian drag playing villains isn't the sort of thing that goes over well with people any more. And neither does sexualized violence against women
This is a great point. I think everyone takes it for granted that if/when streaming conquers physical once and for all that hey, at least my favorite movies can still be streamed. I would not at all be surprised if movies with even the slightest bit of controversial content are deemed socially unacceptable to the point that they're edited or just buried forever. Even a tame movie like Revenge of the Nerds is considered to be very problematic due to its "rape" scene, how much longer until a future release edits that part out entirely? Edgier stuff may just never see another release.

Buy those physical copies folks.

Last edited by handcraftedbits; 08-06-2018 at 07:51 PM. Reason: ...
Thanks given by:
DustnBones001 (11-18-2019), Infrared Sight (08-15-2018), MartinScorsesefan (03-01-2019), surfdude12 (08-23-2018), thecooldud (08-23-2018), Vilya (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
Power Member

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by handcraftedbits View Post
This is a great point. I think everyone takes it for granted that if/when streaming conquers physical once and for all that hey, at least my favorite movies can still be streamed. I would not at all be surprised if movies with even the slightest bit of controversial content are deemed socially unacceptable to the point that they're edited or just buried forever. Even a tame movie like Revenge of the Nerds is considered to be very problematic due to its "rape" scene, how much longer until a future release edits that part out entirely? Edgier stuff may just never see another release.

I have been rewatching my entire James Bond collection on Blu-Ray and had this exact thought. I can't imagine another Bond movie where Bond slaps a woman or imposes his sexual will on a woman when she verbally says no.

Either parts will be edited out, or I would guess movies will just not be socially acceptable and things like the #metoo movement will challenge these types of movies.

And I am not agreeing or disagreeing, just sharing an opinion.
Thanks given by:
surfdude12 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #10
Expert Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.

As millennial's get older, their established habits become the norm.
We're talking about playing games on a phone, watching a movie on a phone, a TV show on a phone. There is no basis of collecting (BD's, DVD's,CD's,etc) and we're seeing more and more kids saying "Why should I buy that when I can stream it a lot cheaper?"
Streaming has an advantage where they can take a copy of a movie, adapt it, change it, improve its looks, its sound, etc...then that copy is available to everybody who subs to that service. Really the only limitation is a customers internet connection, which seems to be a major project here in the states. Add to that competing wireless broadband which is supposed to ...eventually....replace cell services. The one problem with discs are some releases get 3 or 4 different releases....like adding Atmos or DV....while other properties seem to have been ignored likely because the company with the rights don't see a profit in restoring, remastering, or manufacturing BD's of that title.
My "hope" of seeing a complete Andy Sidaris collection on blu or a blu version of "The Groove Tube", may never happen?
Old 08-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013

Quote:

It's disturbing to think that someone may be making the determination about what's acceptable in terms of content whether that be what's available on physical media or streaming. And that I had better buy that blu ray now (while I still have the chance) of Christopher Lee (as an Asian) in "The Terror Of The Tongs" before someone decides for me that Lee's portrayal is unacceptable and therefore should not be available to the masses. Whatever happened to choice, and for me deciding for myself? So if you're correct, it sounds like there's a new wave of political correctness and censorship on the horizon.

Last edited by Mystic; 08-23-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Thanks given by:
DustnBones001 (11-19-2019), surfdude12 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 10:22 PM   #12
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjritter79 View Post
As millennial's get older, their established habits become the norm.
We're talking about playing games on a phone, watching a movie on a phone, a TV show on a phone. There is no basis of collecting (BD's, DVD's,CD's,etc) and we're seeing more and more kids saying "Why should I buy that when I can stream it a lot cheaper?"
Streaming has an advantage where they can take a copy of a movie, adapt it, change it, improve its looks, its sound, etc...then that copy is available to everybody who subs to that service. Really the only limitation is a customers internet connection, which seems to be a major project here in the states. Add to that competing wireless broadband which is supposed to ...eventually....replace cell services. The one problem with discs are some releases get 3 or 4 different releases....like adding Atmos or DV....while other properties seem to have been ignored likely because the company with the rights don't see a profit in restoring, remastering, or manufacturing BD's of that title.
My "hope" of seeing a complete Andy Sidaris collection on blu or a blu version of "The Groove Tube", may never happen?
As millennials get older, they settle down with a family generally. Also, Netflix mobile viewing is only about 10%.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:23 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:

I brought that point up in another thread and got slaughtered for my opinion. Streaming means they can change scenes anytime they like and even react to twitter saddos by censoring content. Digital is the ******* pits!
Thanks given by:
DustnBones001 (11-19-2019), gkolb (09-02-2018), thecooldud (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:35 PM   #14
Power Member

Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
It's disturbing to think that someone may be making the determination about what's acceptable in terms of content whether that be what's available on physical media or streaming. And that I had better buy that blu ray now (while I still have the chance) of Christopher Lee (as an Asian) in "The Terror Of The Tongs" before someone decides for me that Lee's portrayal is unacceptable and therefore should not be available to the masses. Whatever happened to choice, and for me deciding for myself? So if you're correct, it sounds like there's a new wave of political correctness and censorship on the horizon.
It's not on the horizon, it's here already. Erasing, attacking and rewriting history to suit the agenda is the way of any totallitarian regime, and it's just getting started. And forcing a switch to streaming over physical media is a great way to gain such complete control.
Thanks given by:
AKORIS (08-23-2018), DustnBones001 (11-19-2019), gkolb (09-02-2018), Hemlock (11-06-2019), MartinScorsesefan (03-01-2019), Mystic (08-23-2018), Steedeel (08-23-2018), surfdude12 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:41 PM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooldud View Post
It's not on the horizon, it's here already. Erasing, attacking and rewriting history to suit the agenda is the way of any totallitarian regime, and it's just getting started. And forcing a switch to streaming over physical media is a great way to gain such complete control.
bingo!
Thanks given by:
DustnBones001 (11-19-2019), Steedeel (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:43 PM   #16
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I can’t quite believe HT enthusiasts have embraced it. It has only quickened the process. I get called a Chicken Little and a tin foil case but I fully believe digital and censorship is the death of films as I like them. Digital embracers should hang their heads in shame imo.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I brought that point up in another thread and got slaughtered for my opinion. Streaming means they can change scenes anytime they like and even react to twitter saddos by censoring content. Digital is the ******* pits!
Note the irony. You say movies may be censored and they try to censor you, thereby proving your point.
Thanks given by:
DustnBones001 (11-19-2019), Steedeel (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:54 PM   #18
Banned

Aug 2015
Thanos Cock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I canít quite believe HT enthusiasts have embraced it. It has only quickened the process. I get called a Chicken Little and a tin foil case but I fully believe digital and censorship is the death of films as I like them. Digital embracers should hang their heads in shame imo.
Same could be said for those stressed out over how other people spend their money and live their lives. It's even more obnoxious when it's hypocritical. You're totally fine with digital gaming, which the exact same "issues" you bemoan about film could happen to, but it's okay...cause it's not your favorite hobby.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:55 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
I was looking at DVD Beaver at the new review for Genghis Kahn and the Hammer "Orientalist" movies (Stranglers of Bombay, Terror of the Tonga, etc) and I suddenly wondered if this may be the last we see of films like this. British actors like Christopher Lee and Robert Morley in unconvincing Asian drag playing villains isn't the sort of thing that goes over well with people any more.
Hammer films will appeal to a generation who have been brought up with them, myself included, and frankly I doubt if Terror Of The Tongs would appeal to a teenager today. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future this particular film was to be considered non-politically correct, in much the same way as any film or TV show featuring a white actor blackening himself would be deemed unsuitable nowadays by the PC brigade.
Thanks given by:
DustnBones001 (11-19-2019)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:55 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Yes, physical media can't be altered, hence why Fahrenheit 451 is about burning books and why books are outlawed in 1984. Buy physical media now and save extra copies in your attic (along with extra blu-ray players when current ones go bust)
Thanks given by:
DustnBones001 (11-19-2019), Steedeel (08-24-2018), thecooldud (08-23-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology