Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
10 hrs ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99
18 hrs ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
18 hrs ago
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50

The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$14.96
15 hrs ago
Masterpiece: All Creatures Great and Small (Blu-ray)
$34.16
13 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

View Poll Results: Do You Watch Movies on Physical Media, Digital Media, or Both
Physical Media 56 37.09%
Digital Media 7 4.64%
Both Formats 88 58.28%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2018, 12:34 AM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post
100% physical media as I do not want to compromise what I am hearing. I am curious however if anyone who landed on the physical side of the poll watches tv through a streaming service. There are a lot of great shows out there as it seems every time you turn around there is something new coming out that piques interest on one of the many outlets available today. I will still wait for the Bluray to come out, but sometimes a specific show doesn't make it to disc, or the what is too lengthy....which has me starting to rethink my approach.
Yes I think for TV Shows Streaming is ideal, you guys have to load those Discs, and then hope it remembers where you left off. With Streaming you can have many Shows going all at once. Here is an Article that talks about the best Streaming Providers for Shows:

https://www.pcmag.com/feature/364008...m_medium=image

If you have the proper set up and Bandwidth you should get Disc Quality. I have Amazon and Vudu, and all my TV Shows are on Vudu but Amazon has a lot of the Shows I watch too. No Flipping Discs either!

Last edited by alchav21; 09-29-2018 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:50 AM   #42
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

^Loading those discs is REALLY hard to do ; I do warm-up exercises before I even attempt it. I will get a gym membership to stay in top physical disc loading form. If I get too old and frail, maybe I can get a disc loading guide doggie or just use all three of the blu-ray players in my home theater; a disc loaded in each one?

I have a decent memory and I do not need to rely on a player's ability to resume playback, but I certainly can see where you would need help with anything requiring memory.

I watched the first half of the mini-series The Looming Tower last night. Disc one had 5 fifty minute episodes, which was perfect for a really full night of viewing content. The last five episodes are on disc two, which I will watch tonight after having rested and recovered from that strenuous disc loading the previous night.

Of all the real benefits that streaming can offer in this context, you went with not having to load a disc and not having to rely upon the resume playback feature? I expected much better from a diehard streaming fan.

Subscription streaming is a good way to sample any content that you are unsure about owning, that is unavailable on disc, or that you only want to watch once. If you love the content, then actually owning it on disc is ideal for a multitude of reasons delineated in great detail in the thread that spawned this one.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-29-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (10-07-2018), Ender14 (10-25-2018), Forestt (09-30-2018), HarcourtMudd (09-29-2018), Leslie Dame (10-01-2018), Messana (10-07-2018), Wendell R. Breland (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 05:20 AM   #43
Special Member

Dec 2014
Superunknown

I enjoy the convenience and accessibility of digital, but i would never choose it over physical. I like the ownership of having a hard copy rather than a license, and of course the quality is usually better on disc. Ive bought digital and felt like i wasted my money for the most part.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (10-07-2018), Vilya (09-29-2018), Wendell R. Breland (09-29-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 04:43 AM   #44

Jul 2008
Northern Hemisphere, Earth

For full movies from start to finish, physical only.

Only exceptions are if the movie is so rare to find on physical that digital is the only option. Also, if I like a particular scene and want to rewatch only that part, then digital.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Physical only. Streaming is getting better but so is disc. I have plenty of bandwidth for streaming 4K, but for me it's about quality. Physical has 2-3 times the bit rate and the difference is apparent. Convenience, especially for movies, is a non-factor. Both are very convenient, but having the best quality presentation available of content is by far the most important factor for me. A side benefit is owning your content, but if streaming were to be better quality some day, I would definitely choose that, as least as a rental.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (10-07-2018), gotmule (09-30-2018), Steedeel (09-30-2018), Vilya (09-30-2018), Wendell R. Breland (09-30-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #46

Sep 2018
Colorado, USA

Both are great and I have many of each, but prefer to own the disc so that's a bit more valuable to me. I really like to have a title in both formats.

BD looks awesome, you can lend/give/sell to someone else, and you know exactly what you've got.

Streaming (UV/MA) is portable and convenient, great for travel. Quality sometimes an issue, but I expect will improve over time.

Main concerns with streaming:
- Net neutrality. Will Comcast start charging me to stream Vudu or MA?
- Can't transfer to someone else. Is there even a slight chance they'll someday add a provision to pass on to my kids? Certainly consumer demand for this will continue to grow.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:51 AM   #47
Special Member

Dec 2014
Dublin, Ireland

It is physical for me too. I have played two movies on Digital that have worked for me perfectly so far & two movies that have not worked at all. The two providers are different but I would never attempt to depend on digital services for my enjoyment factor for home video entertainment. I have a sizeable amount of DVDs in the house too; I will put them on as well whenever I'm in the mood to watch something. I even watched The Breakfast Club for the first time today just on a spur of the moment type of thing. It was a very nice experience playing it on Blu-ray at whenever time I want. I could never consider playing movies or TV shows on a streaming service because I do not have the time nor the patience to watch them on a computer. The DVD player is already hooked up to the TV for anyone to use.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-07-2018), Thomas Irwin (10-07-2018), Vilya (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #48
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

I walk between both worlds and tend to use streaming to know if something is a buy or pass for the physical library.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #49
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
^Loading those discs is REALLY hard to do ; I do warm-up exercises before I even attempt it. I will get a gym membership to stay in top physical disc loading form. If I get too old and frail, maybe I can get a disc loading guide doggie or just use all three of the blu-ray players in my home theater; a disc loaded in each one?

I have a decent memory and I do not need to rely on a player's ability to resume playback, but I certainly can see where you would need help with anything requiring memory.

I watched the first half of the mini-series The Looming Tower last night. Disc one had 5 fifty minute episodes, which was perfect for a really full night of viewing content. The last five episodes are on disc two, which I will watch tonight after having rested and recovered from that strenuous disc loading the previous night.

Of all the real benefits that streaming can offer in this context, you went with not having to load a disc and not having to rely upon the resume playback feature? I expected much better from a diehard streaming fan.

Subscription streaming is a good way to sample any content that you are unsure about owning, that is unavailable on disc, or that you only want to watch once. If you love the content, then actually owning it on disc is ideal for a multitude of reasons delineated in great detail in the thread that spawned this one.
You could get your butler to flip discs?
Old 10-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #50

Aug 2012
Williamstown, NJ

I have always been a physical media collector since DVD first came out, but I have slowly transitioned to both and maybe leaning towards digital. I know that physical is better, but I'm not sure that it's so much better that I'm noticing a night and day difference between the two anymore.

Another important reason for my growing digital library is the sharing options. I started redeeming my digital copies in the days of Ultraviolet sharing so that my family could enjoy a large part of my collection. I personally HATE lending out movies to anyone due to fear of scratches. Sharing between UV and Google Play has given me the ability to allow those grandfathered in to enjoy movies while keeping my precious discs intact. This also applies to my fiance and kids, whom are as guilty as anyone of mishandling discs. I can just tell them to watch it on Vudu.

The other benefit of digital is relatively cheap upgrades to 4K through iTunes. I don't really care to spend another $15-$30 to buy another copy of most movies, and there have been some great $5 deals for 4K that I may have otherwise said Blu-ray is good enough.

While I do make the occasional UHD purchase for movies that I or my family really want, it's slowed down considerably. I'm at a point in my life where having a big bookshelf of movies just doesn't matter to me anymore, and my spending habits have changed where I don't need to own everything in the best possible quality. I will continue to buy movies here and there, but price is becoming more important, and I will certainly enjoy my mixed movie collection.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #51
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil254 View Post
I have always been a physical media collector since DVD first came out, but I have slowly transitioned to both and maybe leaning towards digital. I know that physical is better, but I'm not sure that it's so much better that I'm noticing a night and day difference between the two anymore.

Another important reason for my growing digital library is the sharing options. I started redeeming my digital copies in the days of Ultraviolet sharing so that my family could enjoy a large part of my collection. I personally HATE lending out movies to anyone due to fear of scratches. Sharing between UV and Google Play has given me the ability to allow those grandfathered in to enjoy movies while keeping my precious discs intact. This also applies to my fiance and kids, whom are as guilty as anyone of mishandling discs. I can just tell them to watch it on Vudu.

The other benefit of digital is relatively cheap upgrades to 4K through iTunes. I don't really care to spend another $15-$30 to buy another copy of most movies, and there have been some great $5 deals for 4K that I may have otherwise said Blu-ray is good enough.

While I do make the occasional UHD purchase for movies that I or my family really want, it's slowed down considerably. I'm at a point in my life where having a big bookshelf of movies just doesn't matter to me anymore, and my spending habits have changed where I don't need to own everything in the best possible quality. I will continue to buy movies here and there, but price is becoming more important, and I will certainly enjoy my mixed movie collection.
This is how the race to the bottom starts. Lowering ones standards and then trying to kid themselves that the quality difference isnít that great imo.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:56 AM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Chicago, IL

Both. Did we really need another thread/poll about this? Same opinions and arguments over & over again. It's my/your time and money. Spend it how you wish.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:49 AM   #53

Aug 2012
Williamstown, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
This is how the race to the bottom starts. Lowering ones standards and then trying to kid themselves that the quality difference isnít that great imo.
I'm well aware that physical media is better in terms of picture and sound. Never said otherwise. Digital streaming has improved a lot in the past few years and will probably continue to improve with technology. I do however buy most new releases that I want on UHD discs from here on out.

I have been collecting movies for a long time, starting with DVD and have amassed a pretty decent collection of movies over the past 20 or so years. I think I've reached the point where I own pretty much every catalog title I've ever wanted to own on Blu-ray. My priorities in life have changed, and I can't justify repurchasing anything other than my favorite movies on yet another format at $15-$30 a pop. $5 for a 4K copy I can live with. Honestly, I don't even own a 4K set yet, just trying to future-proof a bit. I'm very happy with my projector, and doubt I'll upgrade for another year or two.

My mix of digital and physical, as I've said before, is mostly for sharing the digital and watching the physical. I took advantage of the beta for Disc to Digital on Vudu to back up and create a digital library for casual viewing and sharing with family. My bedroom doesn't need a Blu-ray player, but Roku does the job.

This thread is very similar to the Disc vs. Digital thread, and I too read the same arguments all the time. I say both are awesome. Disc are better quality, and digital is more convenient, etc. I say rock them both. Watch your discs in your home theater, family share the digital, and get the best of both worlds.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:07 AM   #54
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Identical threads and identical redundancy.

I have certainly done my part.

I have long suspected that many people enjoy both disc and digital in varying ratios. I am quite content with that. I would rather see some support for physical media from consumers such as these than none at all.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #55
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Identical threads and identical redundancy.

I have certainly done my part.

I have long suspected that many people enjoy both disc and digital in varying ratios. I am quite content with that. I would rather see some support for physical media from consumers such as these than none at all.
Either way, digital takes us down a dark dark path such as I have mentioned many times before.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #56
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Either way, digital takes us down a dark dark path such as I have mentioned many times before.
I could not be a stronger advocate for physical media than I already am. I have given my reasons for my preference many times over. I have also stated why I make very limited use of streaming. My reasons for pleasing me.

What I am not is a crusader. People are free to make their own choices and they are welcome to them. Their choices do not lessen my ability to enjoy mine despite the persistent fear mongering to the contrary. Digital does not have to die that disc may live.

There are perfectly valid reasons for people wanting to use both even if they are not reasons that readily apply to my situation. I think the reasons for going solely digital are poor ones, but that's just my opinion and nothing more.

Last edited by Vilya; 10-08-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #57
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

My feeling is this thread should be merged with the existing Digital vs Physical thread, but it is nice finally seeing a poll.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:04 AM   #58
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
My feeling is this thread should be merged with the existing Digital vs Physical thread, but it is nice finally seeing a poll.
Yes, and it looks like both have won. So Digital is taking over, and Physical is holding.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #59
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Yes, and it looks like both have won. So Digital is taking over, and Physical is holding.
First, it is an unscientific poll on a website that is frequented by fans of the blu-ray format. No valid universal conclusions can be drawn from it.

If you want to pretend that this poll actually means something, consider that 77 out of 80 respondents watch discs either entirely or in part while only 3 people watch solely digital.

If any observation were to be noted from this unscientific poll it would be that discs are watched by 96.25% of all poll respondents and that digital is watched by 58.75% of all respondents. Only 3.75% watch digital exclusively while 41.25% watch discs exclusively.

Incidentally, REAL data shows that, as of 12-7-2018, blu-ray sales are only down 1.84% this year. Blu-rays comprise 45% of disc sales as of 9-22-2018.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=1020

Overall, all disc formats combined are down 13.7% as of 9-22-2018 in large part due to DVDs being down 20.2%

4K discs are experiencing growth at 100% over last year as of the end of the 2nd quarter 2018.

Electronic sell through, aka digital purchases, are up 9.72% at the end of the 2nd quarter 2018. Subscription streaming continues to grow, up 29.8% during the same time period.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=987

https://degonline.org/wp-content/upl...ernal-Grid.pdf

^When reading this article note that the term "Digital Sales" includes electronic sell through purchases, video on demand rentals, and subscription streaming combined. Scroll down to see numeric chart at the bottom of the article.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-10-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #60

Jun 2016
Wisconsin

I use both. I frequently watch the "free" movies on VUDU. Sometimes I'll tune into a movie on Hulu. If it's something I want to watch that I don't have on either of those platforms, I'll get out the disc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology