Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60
 
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
 
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99
 
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
1 day ago
Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49
 
Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
 
Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99
 
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (Blu-ray)
$22.00
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2020, 02:15 AM   #41
trevanian trevanian is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2012
NW U.S.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Didn't play out that way for Kevin Costner.
I remember reading a rave review for that in CINEFANTASTIQUE from a very reliable writer, Thomas Doherty, but even that wasn't enough to get me on board. I've seen maybe about an hour of it, enough that it looks like Will Patton is wasted, plus I've heard firsthand from a former vendor about the way Costner hit on every female in smelling range at every opportunity, probably to the detriment of his work in front and behind the camera.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #42
xbs2034 xbs2034 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Feb 2012
Default

It does play into some conventions/predictable developments, but this was an excellent movie overall. I thought the acting, cinematography, art direction, and score were all top notch. And interesting to see how Greengrass completely changed his directing/editing style (which I do find effective but would not fit this) to go with a very classical approach.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (12-28-2020), indisposed (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #43
trevanian trevanian is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2012
NW U.S.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbs2034 View Post
It does play into some conventions/predictable developments, but this was an excellent movie overall. I thought the acting, cinematography, art direction, and score were all top notch. And interesting to see how Greengrass completely changed his directing/editing style (which I do find effective but would not fit this) to go with a very classical approach.
I interviewed the DP and other crewmembers for ICG magazine and they all said it was very much shot in Greengrass' trademark style, nearly all handheld. I haven't seen it yet, but my impression is that most of the 'big western vistas' were VFX-enhanced, so it is interesting to hear a takeaway that the film represents a typical western in tone/feel.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:31 PM   #44
xbs2034 xbs2034 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevanian View Post
I interviewed the DP and other crewmembers for ICG magazine and they all said it was very much shot in Greengrass' trademark style, nearly all handheld. I haven't seen it yet, but my impression is that most of the 'big western vistas' were VFX-enhanced, so it is interesting to hear a takeaway that the film represents a typical western in tone/feel.
Interesting, if it was shot handheld they must have made sure to come up with more stable rigs as I only noticed one brief moment of shaky cam (when they were having trouble controlling the wagon so it made sense). And the editing style was far different, they held on shots for quite a while during the major mid film action sequence and used the slower pace to build tension, whereas his Bourne movies for instance are filled with rapid fire editing.

Indeed this article written by the film’s editor makes it clear that they made deliberate changes to the style

https://www.moviemaker.com/news-of-t...ass-tom-hanks/

Editing News of the World brought many challenges, some big, some small and one that no one could have imagined. I was very happy to have previously worked with the film’s director, Paul Greengrass, on 22 July, a gripping and powerful film about a terror attack. So I jumped at the chance to work with Paul again.

But this time would be different: News of the World is a Western, a genre we had never done before, and one of the stars was 10 years old. Additionally, it wouldn’t use Paul’s usual style of handheld first-person footage, familiar to fans of Captain Phillips and the Jason Bourne films. We would need to adapt — and we embraced the challenge.

——-

Since Paul’s normal shooting style didn’t feel appropriate for all elements of a Western, he and director of photography Dariusz Wolski worked out a more traditional style of shooting. This style helped us to make the environment a character in the film, because the rich beauty in wider shots allows the audience to really live in the world of the film

Last edited by xbs2034; 12-28-2020 at 09:39 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #45
Leonidas King Leonidas King is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Leonidas King's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
S p a r t a
17
272
2127
36
205
Default

Digital is 1/15 for those who care.

With that said I answered my own question.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:02 AM   #46
VictoryAtNight VictoryAtNight is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
VictoryAtNight's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]
63
1022
394
4
92
1
Default

I’ve watched the behind the scenes special on HBO twice. This movie looks really good. I had never heard of this movie until a week ago.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:42 AM   #47
Mr.F Mr.F is offline
Expert Member
 
Mr.F's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Default

There's currently a pricing mistake on the early rental on this on Vudu. It's only 3.99!

Go before they fix it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #48
MEB MEB is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
MEB's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
17
140
1415
71
16
1
Default

Outstanding film. Well worth the $19.99 rental. We would have spent far more than that to see it in a theater (snack bar visit included).

The Booth Bijou gives 'News of the World' 4.5 out of 5 stars. I will buy the 4K Blu-ray when it arrives.

Mark
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:23 PM   #49
Leonidas King Leonidas King is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Leonidas King's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
S p a r t a
17
272
2127
36
205
Default

Thought it was alright. Lots of scenes really drag the pacing. It's very inconsistent. It slows down, then picks right up, then slows down again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:53 AM   #50
50strat54 50strat54 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
50strat54's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
74
Default

I thought the movie was excellent and the little girl in the film was very good. She looks a little like Tatum O’Neal.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #51
Cremildo Cremildo is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Cremildo's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
Brazil
12
731
11
Default

A very well shot and acted movie that is ultimately a bit listless and anonymous. I don't think Greengrass has a feel for the western genre at all. Truth be told, it was a disappointment given the credentials of the artists who made it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:37 AM   #52
ps3bd_owner ps3bd_owner is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ps3bd_owner's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Default

Great Western movie with Tom Hanks, although I thought it was Brad Pitt on the cover.

Anyway, Native Indian languages like Navajo and Kiowa sound so calm, suave and beautiful. The European girl talking in Kiowa I did not expect (it might've been on the trailer, I didn't watch it).

Definitely give it a watch whenever you can.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Heinz-Klett (01-26-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #53
JWFORD JWFORD is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
JWFORD's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
122
790
4
Default

News of the World reunites Hanks with director Paul Greengrass for a post-Civil War western. It's the quintessential “dad movie," and Hanks' second this year after Greyhound. But at least this one has a bit more get-up-and-go — that is, until their horse and buggy goes over a cliff (along with the film's momentum). Anchored by the ever-dependable Hanks and his young costar Helena Zengel (System Crasher), News of the World is a solid if unspectacular film. But it's all curiously flat and unexciting
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (01-26-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #54
Leonidas King Leonidas King is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Leonidas King's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
S p a r t a
17
272
2127
36
205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFORD View Post
News of the World reunites Hanks with director Paul Greengrass for a post-Civil War western. It's the quintessential “dad movie," and Hanks' second this year after Greyhound. But at least this one has a bit more get-up-and-go — that is, until their horse and buggy goes over a cliff (along with the film's momentum). Anchored by the ever-dependable Hanks and his young costar Helena Zengel (System Crasher), News of the World is a solid if unspectacular film. But it's all curiously flat and unexciting
It really is, despite one great standout scene. It’s unfortunate as I’m a sucker for westerns.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (01-26-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #55
Frank TJ Mackey Frank TJ Mackey is offline
Senior Member
 
Nov 2017
Land of Lincoln
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas King View Post
It really is, despite one great standout scene. It’s unfortunate as I’m a sucker for westerns.
It just looks so damn boring, like most of what Tom Hanks does for the past 20 years, IMO.

I guess I'm waiting for Tom Hanks to start doing some edgier stuff, probably shouldn't hold my breath.

going to check it out and hope for the best.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:20 PM   #56
Koller70 Koller70 is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2020
Default

Unpopular opinion, Tom Hanks is nearly 65 years old, he should retire at his peak before it gets embarrassing or he's begged to leave
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #57
50strat54 50strat54 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
50strat54's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey View Post
I guess I'm waiting for Tom Hanks to start doing some edgier stuff, probably shouldn't hold my breath..
Bachelor Party 2 - The Divorce is Final!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #58
xbs2034 xbs2034 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Feb 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koller70 View Post
Unpopular opinion, Tom Hanks is nearly 65 years old, he should retire at his peak before it gets embarrassing or he's begged to leave
Yeah, I don’t see a legendary actor like Tom Hanks getting “begged to leave” the film industry anytime soon. And he has done edgier stuff before like Saving Private Ryan, Cloud Atlas, and a bunch of R rated comedies.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
UltraMario9 (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #59
DrWally DrWally is offline
Expert Member
 
Aug 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koller70 View Post
Unpopular opinion, Tom Hanks is nearly 65 years old, he should retire at his peak before it gets embarrassing or he's begged to leave
Well, you're right about one particular part of that statement at least.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:07 PM   #60
Leonidas King Leonidas King is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Leonidas King's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
S p a r t a
17
272
2127
36
205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey View Post
It just looks so damn boring, like most of what Tom Hanks does for the past 20 years, IMO.

I guess I'm waiting for Tom Hanks to start doing some edgier stuff, probably shouldn't hold my breath.

going to check it out and hope for the best.
It's not boring, it was just flat.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 AM.