Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
1 day ago
Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (Blu-ray)
$22.00
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 12-27-2020, 02:15 AM   #41
Special Member

Dec 2012
NW U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Didn't play out that way for Kevin Costner.
I remember reading a rave review for that in CINEFANTASTIQUE from a very reliable writer, Thomas Doherty, but even that wasn't enough to get me on board. I've seen maybe about an hour of it, enough that it looks like Will Patton is wasted, plus I've heard firsthand from a former vendor about the way Costner hit on every female in smelling range at every opportunity, probably to the detriment of his work in front and behind the camera.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

It does play into some conventions/predictable developments, but this was an excellent movie overall. I thought the acting, cinematography, art direction, and score were all top notch. And interesting to see how Greengrass completely changed his directing/editing style (which I do find effective but would not fit this) to go with a very classical approach.
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (12-28-2020), indisposed (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #43
Special Member

Dec 2012
NW U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbs2034 View Post
It does play into some conventions/predictable developments, but this was an excellent movie overall. I thought the acting, cinematography, art direction, and score were all top notch. And interesting to see how Greengrass completely changed his directing/editing style (which I do find effective but would not fit this) to go with a very classical approach.
I interviewed the DP and other crewmembers for ICG magazine and they all said it was very much shot in Greengrass' trademark style, nearly all handheld. I haven't seen it yet, but my impression is that most of the 'big western vistas' were VFX-enhanced, so it is interesting to hear a takeaway that the film represents a typical western in tone/feel.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:31 PM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevanian View Post
I interviewed the DP and other crewmembers for ICG magazine and they all said it was very much shot in Greengrass' trademark style, nearly all handheld. I haven't seen it yet, but my impression is that most of the 'big western vistas' were VFX-enhanced, so it is interesting to hear a takeaway that the film represents a typical western in tone/feel.
Interesting, if it was shot handheld they must have made sure to come up with more stable rigs as I only noticed one brief moment of shaky cam (when they were having trouble controlling the wagon so it made sense). And the editing style was far different, they held on shots for quite a while during the major mid film action sequence and used the slower pace to build tension, whereas his Bourne movies for instance are filled with rapid fire editing.

Indeed this article written by the film’s editor makes it clear that they made deliberate changes to the style

https://www.moviemaker.com/news-of-t...ass-tom-hanks/

Editing News of the World brought many challenges, some big, some small and one that no one could have imagined. I was very happy to have previously worked with the film’s director, Paul Greengrass, on 22 July, a gripping and powerful film about a terror attack. So I jumped at the chance to work with Paul again.

But this time would be different: News of the World is a Western, a genre we had never done before, and one of the stars was 10 years old. Additionally, it wouldn’t use Paul’s usual style of handheld first-person footage, familiar to fans of Captain Phillips and the Jason Bourne films. We would need to adapt — and we embraced the challenge.

——-

Since Paul’s normal shooting style didn’t feel appropriate for all elements of a Western, he and director of photography Dariusz Wolski worked out a more traditional style of shooting. This style helped us to make the environment a character in the film, because the rich beauty in wider shots allows the audience to really live in the world of the film

Last edited by xbs2034; 12-28-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #45
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
S p a r t a

Digital is 1/15 for those who care.

With that said I answered my own question.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:02 AM   #46
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]

I’ve watched the behind the scenes special on HBO twice. This movie looks really good. I had never heard of this movie until a week ago.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:42 AM   #47
Expert Member

Mar 2010

There's currently a pricing mistake on the early rental on this on Vudu. It's only 3.99!

Go before they fix it.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Outstanding film. Well worth the $19.99 rental. We would have spent far more than that to see it in a theater (snack bar visit included).

The Booth Bijou gives 'News of the World' 4.5 out of 5 stars. I will buy the 4K Blu-ray when it arrives.

Mark
Old 01-17-2021, 09:23 PM   #49
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
S p a r t a

Thought it was alright. Lots of scenes really drag the pacing. It's very inconsistent. It slows down, then picks right up, then slows down again.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:53 AM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013

I thought the movie was excellent and the little girl in the film was very good. She looks a little like Tatum O’Neal.
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #51
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2011
Brazil

A very well shot and acted movie that is ultimately a bit listless and anonymous. I don't think Greengrass has a feel for the western genre at all. Truth be told, it was a disappointment given the credentials of the artists who made it.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:37 AM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Great Western movie with Tom Hanks, although I thought it was Brad Pitt on the cover.

Anyway, Native Indian languages like Navajo and Kiowa sound so calm, suave and beautiful. The European girl talking in Kiowa I did not expect (it might've been on the trailer, I didn't watch it).

Definitely give it a watch whenever you can.
Thanks given by:
Heinz-Klett (01-26-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

News of the World reunites Hanks with director Paul Greengrass for a post-Civil War western. It's the quintessential “dad movie," and Hanks' second this year after Greyhound. But at least this one has a bit more get-up-and-go — that is, until their horse and buggy goes over a cliff (along with the film's momentum). Anchored by the ever-dependable Hanks and his young costar Helena Zengel (System Crasher), News of the World is a solid if unspectacular film. But it's all curiously flat and unexciting
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (01-26-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #54
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
S p a r t a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFORD View Post
News of the World reunites Hanks with director Paul Greengrass for a post-Civil War western. It's the quintessential “dad movie," and Hanks' second this year after Greyhound. But at least this one has a bit more get-up-and-go — that is, until their horse and buggy goes over a cliff (along with the film's momentum). Anchored by the ever-dependable Hanks and his young costar Helena Zengel (System Crasher), News of the World is a solid if unspectacular film. But it's all curiously flat and unexciting
It really is, despite one great standout scene. It’s unfortunate as I’m a sucker for westerns.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (01-26-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #55

Nov 2017
Land of Lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas King View Post
It really is, despite one great standout scene. It’s unfortunate as I’m a sucker for westerns.
It just looks so damn boring, like most of what Tom Hanks does for the past 20 years, IMO.

I guess I'm waiting for Tom Hanks to start doing some edgier stuff, probably shouldn't hold my breath.

going to check it out and hope for the best.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:20 PM   #56

Mar 2020

Unpopular opinion, Tom Hanks is nearly 65 years old, he should retire at his peak before it gets embarrassing or he's begged to leave
Old 02-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey View Post
I guess I'm waiting for Tom Hanks to start doing some edgier stuff, probably shouldn't hold my breath..
Bachelor Party 2 - The Divorce is Final!
Old 02-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koller70 View Post
Unpopular opinion, Tom Hanks is nearly 65 years old, he should retire at his peak before it gets embarrassing or he's begged to leave
Yeah, I don’t see a legendary actor like Tom Hanks getting “begged to leave” the film industry anytime soon. And he has done edgier stuff before like Saving Private Ryan, Cloud Atlas, and a bunch of R rated comedies.
Thanks given by:
UltraMario9 (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #59
Expert Member

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koller70 View Post
Well, you're right about one particular part of that statement at least.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:07 PM   #60
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
S p a r t a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank TJ Mackey View Post
It just looks so damn boring, like most of what Tom Hanks does for the past 20 years, IMO.

I guess I'm waiting for Tom Hanks to start doing some edgier stuff, probably shouldn't hold my breath.

going to check it out and hope for the best.
It's not boring, it was just flat.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies